Dog Dies on United Flight After Attendent Forces It Into Overhead Bin

Folks this thread is in pets not politics, pets is a community area not a place to flame political petspectives please respect that. Our love our furry companions should be able to overcome those differences in this one tiny area.

Folks this thread is in pets not politics, pets is a community area not a place to flame political petspectives please respect that. Our love our furry companions should be able to overcome those differences in this one tiny area.

When people show sympathy only to have a stalker troll react to their post with a "funny", that is an intentional insult and a form of flaming in and of itself.

`
You'd think someone would have checked out United Airlines policy for travel for animals before boarding.
`
Who knows how meek or insecure the lady is. Some people are just easy to intimidate and will follow even the dumbest and most unfair or illegal orders given by someone of authority.
I agree. The thing is why didn't any other stewards say something? Why didn't any other passengers say something? It's just terrible that the entire plane full of people let that happen.

Thank you, Coyote, well said.

When people show sympathy only to have a stalker troll react to their post with a "funny", that is an intentional insult and a form of flaming in and of itself.
Which ones? Bodecea? Gipper? Tilly? All of whom funnied serious posts? This goes on sll the time from both sides and it isn't against the rules. Ignore it. It is best brought up in other places if it so disturbs you but not by derailing a nice pet thread.

Any more questions PM one of us.

Just seems weird.
A healthy dog shouldnt have had a problem unless they did something to restrict his/her breathing.
I wont say it was pleasant but dogs are usually pretty resilient.

Flatfaced dog breeds are especially susceptable to heat stroke and respiratory problems - they can't pant/breath normally and in a confined space like that would likely stress out and overheat.

I've owned flat faced Boxers for 45 years and they've flown plenty and we never had a problem.
You're more likely to lose you pet in the cargo hold than in the cabin even if you put them in the overhead.

I think it depends. I've traveled only once with a dog in cargo and I was super careful. That was all before 9/11 and I waited on the runway with him, until ready for loading, it was a non stop flight, and I chose the airline for it's positive pet ratings. The problem is that the overhead compartment isn't designed to circulate air and doesn't have much space. No AC.

There is no way the overhead atmosphere went so bad it killed the dog.
And ask yourself this....if it was your dog in the overhead would you not be checking on it constantly?

Like I said...something is weird about this story.

When my dogs flew they were first prescribed a sedative to be administered shortly before take off.
They came out of the crate half asleep and wagging their tails with a little encouragement.
It is weird, HWGA, but sedatives also suppress the respiratory centre in the brain, so coupled with a susceptibility to experience respiratory issues, who knows?. Also, it would be dark, there would be weird noises, the dog is in a confined space and scared and overbreathing because of the anxiety?
All speculation, of course, So, like you, I still find it odd.
The first time I took my animal on a flight, the vet said not to give them any sedatives because it is dangerous for them. I never have and never would.

Flatfaced dog breeds are especially susceptable to heat stroke and respiratory problems - they can't pant/breath normally and in a confined space like that would likely stress out and overheat.

I've owned flat faced Boxers for 45 years and they've flown plenty and we never had a problem.
You're more likely to lose you pet in the cargo hold than in the cabin even if you put them in the overhead.

I think it depends. I've traveled only once with a dog in cargo and I was super careful. That was all before 9/11 and I waited on the runway with him, until ready for loading, it was a non stop flight, and I chose the airline for it's positive pet ratings. The problem is that the overhead compartment isn't designed to circulate air and doesn't have much space. No AC.

And ask yourself this....if it was your dog in the overhead would you not be checking on it constantly?

When my dogs flew they were first prescribed a sedative to be administered shortly before take off.
They came out of the crate half asleep and wagging their tails with a little encouragement.
It is weird, HWGA, but sedatives also suppress the respiratory centre in the brain, so coupled with a susceptibility to experience respiratory issues, who knows?. Also, it would be dark, there would be weird noises, the dog is in a confined space and scared and overbreathing because of the anxiety?
The first time I took my animal on a flight, the vet said not to give them any sedatives because it is dangerous for them. I never have and never would.
I heard that advice as well when we used Pilots and Paws to transport some dogs. We were worried about how the would react to a flight. Turned out they had no problems. And those pilots were far kinder than that stewardess :(

I don't think I'd ever take my cats on an airplane. It's just torture for them. If for some reason I did take them I'd know the rules well ahead of time. Any airline that doesn't allow me to keep the cat with me at all times would be crossed off my list. And finally, if the flight attendant didn't the rules and was forcing the overhead bin, I'd gladly delay all passengers, landing planes, people in the airport just to solve it or get off the plane. No one else will protect your animals like you the owner.

I heard that advice as well when we used Pilots and Paws to transport some dogs. We were worried about how the would react to a flight. Turned out they had no problems. And those pilots were far kinder than that stewardess :(
The first time I took a pet on an airplane, it was an overseas trip; we were relocating. I had to have him completely examined by our vet who had to fill out a lot of paperwork. I discussed the situation fully with the vet (he was our regular vet) and he was adamant that you do not give animals sedatives when they fly. I never did and never will. It was a cat and we flew other times when we relocated to different countries. He always flew in the cabin with me, under the seat in front of me, but one time he had to go cargo because that country didn't allow animals to come into the country in the cabin, and it was awful. I didn't like him having to do that at all. I was so glad when that was over and he didn't ever have to do it again.

It was in an airtight compartment, there wasn’’t enough air. The baby suffocated to death in a small pitch dark hole. I hope that birch rots in hell.

Those overhead storage areas are NOT airtight.
Link?

All you need to do is fly on an airplane a few times.
Have you ever seen the brutality those doors face when someone wants their carry on bag to fit?
They beat the shit out of em! No door that sustains that much of a beating is going to stay airtight if it ever was,which it wasnt.
Why would the airlines pay for airtight doors for luggage when the compartments are already in a pressurised cabin?
That would be a ridiculous expense with no purpose.
Let’s just say I’m wrong and then say it’s obvious the dog didn’t have four hours worth of breathable air.

We dont know that thats what killed the dog.

We always gave em a mild sedative.

Dogs don't belong on planes but flight attendants don't have the authority to kill them either. Tough call.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Dogmaphobe ^^

Forum List

Back