Dog Dies on United Flight After Attendent Forces It Into Overhead Bin

If it was a tiny french bulldog what actually killed it?
Unless they jammed a bunch of other bags against it so it couldnt breathe I dont see how it died?
The can develope respiratory distress quite easily. The confined space and the fear of being closed in the dark wouldn’t have helped. Maybe had respiratory failure and cardiac arrest?

Just seems weird.
A healthy dog shouldnt have had a problem unless they did something to restrict his/her breathing.
I wont say it was pleasant but dogs are usually pretty resilient.

Flatfaced dog breeds are especially susceptable to heat stroke and respiratory problems - they can't pant/breath normally and in a confined space like that would likely stress out and overheat.

I've owned flat faced Boxers for 45 years and they've flown plenty and we never had a problem.
You're more likely to lose you pet in the cargo hold than in the cabin even if you put them in the overhead.

I think it depends. I've traveled only once with a dog in cargo and I was super careful. That was all before 9/11 and I waited on the runway with him, until ready for loading, it was a non stop flight, and I chose the airline for it's positive pet ratings. The problem is that the overhead compartment isn't designed to circulate air and doesn't have much space. No AC.

I gave up on United in favor of Continental some 20 years ago. Yes, United was this bad even then. So then Continental bought the failing United and I had hopes that the Continental ethic and attitude would prevail at the amalgam.

Nope.

Not only did the United name survive - so did the shitty attitude and ethic.

For most international travel these days I find myself exclusively on Icelandair; Norwegian Air Shuttle and occasionally, reluctantly, on Delta.

To have a member like that idiot bodecea in this forum....

who gives funnies to threads like this...when a dog dies a horrible death

is a disgrace.

what a heartless disgusting woman she is.

FYI: nypost also said Sean Spicer chews 20 sticks of Big Red and swallows them before noon every day.

Unless they jammed a bunch of other bags against it so it couldnt breathe I dont see how it died?
The can develope respiratory distress quite easily. The confined space and the fear of being closed in the dark wouldn’t have helped. Maybe had respiratory failure and cardiac arrest?

Just seems weird.
A healthy dog shouldnt have had a problem unless they did something to restrict his/her breathing.

Flatfaced dog breeds are especially susceptable to heat stroke and respiratory problems - they can't pant/breath normally and in a confined space like that would likely stress out and overheat.

I've owned flat faced Boxers for 45 years and they've flown plenty and we never had a problem.
You're more likely to lose you pet in the cargo hold than in the cabin even if you put them in the overhead.

I think it depends. I've traveled only once with a dog in cargo and I was super careful. That was all before 9/11 and I waited on the runway with him, until ready for loading, it was a non stop flight, and I chose the airline for it's positive pet ratings. The problem is that the overhead compartment isn't designed to circulate air and doesn't have much space. No AC.

There is no way the overhead atmosphere went so bad it killed the dog.
And ask yourself this....if it was your dog in the overhead would you not be checking on it constantly?

Like I said...something is weird about this story.

When my dogs flew they were first prescribed a sedative to be administered shortly before take off.
They came out of the crate half asleep and wagging their tails with a little encouragement.

Oh, I can hear the stewardess sales pitch.

Mam, please don't worry about a thing, we do it all the time. It has the same air up there as we breathe, It will be dark and quiet so he'll probably just sleep the whole trip rather than being down here with all these strange people, noises, and commotion.

Personally, had I been the stew. (Try and get that image out of your mind) I'd have passed the decision up the food chain and put it on the captain. Captain, this young lady would like to keep her puppy in its carrier on her lap for the flight. Is that okay? Either that or I'd try to keep Snookems up in the galley with them. But, then someone would probably complain and they got a dog hair in their package of peanuts.

Now United is going to write a really big check to the owner out of their legal budget and hopes it is all forgotten soon.

On CBS news they said the attendant was never told the dog was in there. On the other hand United has twice as many animals killed as other airlines..

Just seems weird.

And ask yourself this....if it was your dog in the overhead would you not be checking on it constantly?

When my dogs flew they were first prescribed a sedative to be administered shortly before take off.
They came out of the crate half asleep and wagging their tails with a little encouragement.
It is weird, HWGA, but sedatives also suppress the respiratory centre in the brain, so coupled with a susceptibility to experience respiratory issues, who knows?. Also, it would be dark, there would be weird noises, the dog is in a confined space and scared and overbreathing because of the anxiety?
All speculation, of course, So, like you, I still find it odd.

The dog must have suffocated.

Fnted Uuck for killing the dog. And, buck the fitch the buck owner for bringing it on the plane.

Just seems weird.

It is weird, HWGA, but sedatives also suppress the respiratory centre in the brain, so coupled with a susceptibility to experience respiratory issues, who knows?. Also, it would be dark, there would be weird noises, the dog is in a confined space and scared and overbreathing because of the anxiety?
All speculation, of course, So, like you, I still find it odd.

It's possible that there was a cascade type situation.
Dog had undiagnosed underlying issues and they gave him /her a sedative and it killed it.

The carrier appears to have been flexible. Easy for someone to jam in their package, slam the door and squeeze the dog so it couldn't breathe or make a sound. I LOVE all manner of animals, many much more than many of the people I know, Some of them I'd stuff in an overhead in a heartbeat to open a seat for the pooch.

Last edited:
Necropsy in the near future if not already done.

The woman who had the dog also had two young children. So add that into the mess...

It was in an airtight compartment, there wasn’’t enough air. The baby suffocated to death in a small pitch dark hole. I hope that birch rots in hell.

Forum List

Back