Dopey Donald has broken the stock market ... Markets plummet as coronavirus cases climb ...

Hopefully the market will realize it has over-reacted to this thing soon.

It's possible that we could literally talk ourselves into a recession, and we're certainly trying.

What we probably need most is some positive news, and maybe that will wake folks up and calm them down. But it does have to happen soon.
Cannot tell if you think Trump trying to calm everyone is a good idea while the political opportunists in the media are creating panic by calling Trump a liar every chance they get when he does try to calm everyone.

I really cannot tell. Cause from your post, it seems you are thinking it is wise to calm everyone, but I know you don't think Trump does anything right, even though you claim to be an in the middle guy.

So, what do you think?
I think most people know not to take him seriously at this point, so what he says doesn't really matter.

Hopefully he won't say something stupid or counterproductive. That would be enough for me.

We have a decent chance of pulling out of this, and I hope it happens.

It's possible that we could literally talk ourselves into a recession, and we're certainly trying.

What we probably need most is some positive news, and maybe that will wake folks up and calm them down. But it does have to happen soon.

Yea the positive news are going to arrive real soon...but after oil is done collapsing....and after any bussiness that has to do with people gathering or traveling is done posting giant losses...and after parts of the country will get quarantined...and after everyone who was exposed is done sitting at home for two weeks unable to come to work...and after supply chains recover...and after shellshocked bussinesses will start hiring again.

Talking yourself out of reality of a spreading epidemic is not a healthy proposition - we need to face it head on untill there is an effective treatment and/or immunization.

Trump and his "Fake news! Nothing to see here! Don't worry 'bout it! Don't test for it!" is a sad farce, like most of his presidency.
I'm more hopeful, and I'm not given to making assumptions on how things will play out.

You really don't see how this plays out without treatment or immunization?

It's happening right in front of you. It ALREADY happened in China. Italy is already on lockdown.

What exactly are you hoping for here? Infection will keep spreading and people are going to hunker down, travel less, be less productive, spending less and a slowing down economy is inevitable for at least next two quarters. What other possibilities are there?

Most people require no treatment. Except for a small percentage of the population this virus is little more than the common cold on steroids.

The going rate is 20% hospitalization and 2% death. That is HUGE.

Anyone above the age of 55 is thinking twice about how they are going about their life for the next half a year.

Ruh Roh - That +800 start is into the proverbial dead cat bounce.

24,156.97 +305.95 (1.28%)
Mar 10, 10:53 AM EDT

Market sniffed a bailout. Payroll tax cut? That's stupid and doesn't help the guy who's been furloughed or laid off. Nor does it help the guy who's been asked to self-quarantine without pay. Nor does it help the hospitality, travel, leisure, meetings/ events or airline industries.

I see that Dopey Donald is meeting with bankers. WTF - Banks are doing great - Fuck banks. Talk to the industry leaders who are affected the most.

61cxZ8%2BoMhL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Cannot tell if you think Trump trying to calm everyone is a good idea while the political opportunists in the media are creating panic by calling Trump a liar every chance they get when he does try to calm everyone.

I really cannot tell. Cause from your post, it seems you are thinking it is wise to calm everyone, but I know you don't think Trump does anything right, even though you claim to be an in the middle guy.

So, what do you think?
I think most people know not to take him seriously at this point

Although it may seem like a minor point in the age of Turmp, thats a pretty crazy statement about the President of the United States and the Leader of the Free World from a historic perspective.

So, what do you think?
I think most people know not to take him seriously at this point, so what he says doesn't really matter.

Hopefully he won't say something stupid or counterproductive. That would be enough for me.

We have a decent chance of pulling out of this, and I hope it happens.
What?

So, what do you think?
I think most people know not to take him seriously at this point

Thats a pretty outstanding statement about the Leader of the Free World.
It is what it is.

Dopey Donald has broken the stock market...

This is nothing but pure, unadulterated, hyper-partisan bigotry.

Yea the positive news are going to arrive real soon...but after oil is done collapsing....and after any bussiness that has to do with people gathering or traveling is done posting giant losses...and after parts of the country will get quarantined...and after everyone who was exposed is done sitting at home for two weeks unable to come to work...and after supply chains recover...and after shellshocked bussinesses will start hiring again.

Talking yourself out of reality of a spreading epidemic is not a healthy proposition - we need to face it head on untill there is an effective treatment and/or immunization.

Trump and his "Fake news! Nothing to see here! Don't worry 'bout it! Don't test for it!" is a sad farce, like most of his presidency.
I'm more hopeful, and I'm not given to making assumptions on how things will play out.

It's happening right in front of you. It ALREADY happened in China. Italy is already on lockdown.

What exactly are you hoping for here? Infection will keep spreading and people are going to hunker down, travel less, be less productive, spending less and a slowing down economy is inevitable for at least next two quarters. What other possibilities are there?

Most people require no treatment. Except for a small percentage of the population this virus is little more than the common cold on steroids.

Anyone above the age of 55 is thinking twice about how they are going about their life for the next half a year.

I'm 60 with several chronic illnesses. I have a routine appointment to see a nurse practitioner who is taking over for my doctor as she's away on paternity leave. I'm still going to make it even though I don't necessarily have to go. If you're going to go through life being scared to live, you really have no life at all to begin with.

Oil is collapsing?

Are we running out of oil now?

When did this happen?

Donald Trump has been feeding the stock market bulls on bullshit and now the market is crashing as the coronavirus exposes Donald Trump's incompetence.

Dopey Donald Trump is now floating payroll tax reductions which will feed the budget deficit demons and render the Federal Government debt uncontrollable.

The only tools Dopey Donald has left are lies, bullshit, spending and debt, but they won't fix the current coronavirus effect on the economy which is likely to cause a recession as the GDP growth turns negative.

Dopey "Donald Trump will soon find lies don’t kill a virus." Honesty and competence are not in Dopey Donald's repertoire.

Column: Markets plummet as coronavirus cases climb; Trump will find lies can’t stop a virus

Markets plummet as coronavirus cases climb; Trump will find lies can’t stop a virus
By REX HUPPKE
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
MAR 09, 2020 | 4:05 PM

President Donald Trump will soon find lies don’t kill a virus.

He can deflect and reassure Americans the novel coronavirus outbreak is “totally under control” until his tweeting fingers are raw, but the virus won’t care. It will spread. Viruses are stubborn like that, best contained by honesty and competence, not bluster. ...
Wachyoo talkin bout? Dear Leader told me the virus was a hoax! Nobody knows more about viruses than he does. His uncle was a super-genius.

Donald Trump has been feeding the stock market bulls on bullshit and now the market is crashing as the coronavirus exposes Donald Trump's incompetence.

Dopey Donald Trump is now floating payroll tax reductions which will feed the budget deficit demons and render the Federal Government debt uncontrollable.

The only tools Dopey Donald has left are lies, bullshit, spending and debt, but they won't fix the current coronavirus effect on the economy which is likely to cause a recession as the GDP growth turns negative.

Dopey "Donald Trump will soon find lies don’t kill a virus." Honesty and competence are not in Dopey Donald's repertoire.

Column: Markets plummet as coronavirus cases climb; Trump will find lies can’t stop a virus

Markets plummet as coronavirus cases climb; Trump will find lies can’t stop a virus
By REX HUPPKE
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
MAR 09, 2020 | 4:05 PM

President Donald Trump will soon find lies don’t kill a virus.

He can deflect and reassure Americans the novel coronavirus outbreak is “totally under control” until his tweeting fingers are raw, but the virus won’t care. It will spread. Viruses are stubborn like that, best contained by honesty and competence, not bluster. ...
Wachyoo talkin bout? Dear Leader told me the virus was a hoax! Nobody knows more about viruses than he does. His uncle was a super-genius.
Did I miss where you predicted yesterday's fall of the DOW?:iyfyus.jpg:

Oil is collapsing?

Are we running out of oil now?

When did this happen?

OIL prices silly.

I'm 60 with several chronic illnesses. I have a routine appointment to see a nurse practitioner who is taking over for my doctor as she's away on paternity leave. I'm still going to make it even though I don't necessarily have to go. If you're going to go through life being scared to live, you really have no life at all to begin with.

How many coronavirus cases in your city?

2% of 20%?

thats not worth destroying the world economy over

2% of 20%?

NO, 2% of all who get infected.

2% of 20%?

Its still not worth destroying the world economy

Flu mortality rate is 0.1 percent.

Coronavirus mortality rate is 2 percent. At least 20 times higher than the flu.

And there is no vaccine for coronavirus.

2% of 20%?

I would argue 2% of the known cases of coronavirus

many if not most people who are infected have such mild symptoms they never know they have it

2% of 20%?

Its still not worth destroying the world economy

Thats not how the world works. There is not a central descision making.

There are governments, organizations and indivuals who are acting on risk information as it is coming in.

Forum List

Back