🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Dow futures tank -814 immediately following Trump speech

I'm not really blaming Trump for this, I'm just saying if you're going to give him undo credit when it goes up then you have to give him credit when it drops.

No. You can't blame someone for an act of nature. The virus. Which is mostly in part responsible for the drop, the other was/is a price war Russia and Saudi Arabia.

Oh, OK. I guess nothing bad ever happened under Obama's watch either. Like the market crashing right after he was inaugurated where the most dishonest of you blamed him for and kind of forgot about 2007/8.

So, following this logic, Obama can take credit for fixing the economy, but Trump can't take credit for making it better?

Okay.

You were the one saying Trump's percentages were higher than when Obama was in office, I'm just taking great pleasure in showing you otherwise. :21:

Want to see it again?

960x0.jpg

Actually, I was comparing the highest point both presidents reached. Which you obviously didn't pay any attention to.

It doesn't really matter. Obama has outpaced Trump at almost any given moment. :21:

Nah, of course it doesn't matter when your logic gets blown out of the water.

Let me repeat:

The blob’s performance has been much poorer than Obama’s.
Under who's standards? Yours?

President Trump Stock Market Performance

Ah, here's the DJIA performance chart:

Stock Market Performance by President

Notice that you were looking for the biggest number you could find. I was looking for the actual facts.

On the 38th month of Obama's term, the market rose 52.7% from the day he was sworn in.

Or 7949.09 on January 20, 2009

So, 52.7% of 7949.09 is what? 4189.17

Which means that the DJIA by month 38 was at: 12138.26

On the 38th month of Trump's term, the market rose 43.7% from the day he was sworn in.

Or 19,732.40 on January 20, 2017

So, 43.7% of 19,732.40 is what? 8623.05

Which means that the DJIA by month 38 was at: 28,355.45

Meaning, taken into context, Trump in his third year (before the coronavirus crash) had doubled what Obama gained in his third year.

Percentage gain is what you want to go by which is what you started with and now you're just lying to yourself.

Want to see it again? :21:

960x0.jpg

Actually, I was comparing the highest point both presidents reached. Which you obviously didn't pay any attention to.

It doesn't really matter. Obama has outpaced Trump at almost any given moment. :21:

Let me repeat:

Notice that you were looking for the biggest number you could find. I was looking for the actual facts.

On the 38th month of Obama's term, the market rose 52.7% from the day he was sworn in.

On the 38th month of Trump's term, the market rose 43.7% from the day he was sworn in.

Meaning, taken into context, Trump in his third year (before the coronavirus crash) had doubled what Obama gained in his third year.

Percentage gain is what you want to go by which is what you started with and now you're just lying to yourself.

960x0.jpg
First:

Then who made the stock market go up? Obama? Do you really think that?

Are we seriously going down this road, Joy?

And what's more, there are people who make their living on stock market trading, anytime it tanks, they tank, running the risk of them going bankrupt. And you cheer for that kind of failure, all because of who sits in the White House right now.

You are consumed with spite and hatred. Trump wasn't responsible for the market falling. The virus is.
Under Obama, the market climbed 149%.

In just the past three years, the stock market rose almost 220%. Under Trump.

Your point?

You gotta' take the good with the bad. Where are we at now? What was the stock market at 3 years ago? Do share.

220 percent? Lol

Read the post again, you ignorant twat. The Dow is 220% off the lows it hit during the great recession 10 years ago.

I suck at math so you don't have to.

So, in essence, HappyJoy you are blaming Trump for the coronavirus impact on today's stock market.

In what universe is that fair?

Nope, never said that. You can take Trump's high of a couple of weeks ago and the market still outpaced the Trump years under Obama.

Want proof?

960x0.jpg

Let me repeat:

960x0.jpg
Trump: 30% of 19732.40 = 5919.72
Obama: 70% of 6726.02 = 4708.21

You still want to continue debating math with me darling?

Now off you go. I have some games to play, and not with you.

Of course, I did correct myself and say "220% off the March 2009 lows"

But in your haste to claim victory, you scrolled right past that. And still are.

Later, you arrogant prick.

Let me repeat:

960x0.jpg
Trump: 30% of 19732.40 = 5919.72
Obama: 70% of 6726.02 = 4708.21

You still want to continue debating math with me darling?

Does the stock market slow down naturally as it rises over time? No, it doesn't. The only reason Trump's % is a higher point value is because you had the market rise to that level during the Obama years. Nobody measures performance between two different time intervals they way you are.

Nobody measures performance between two different time intervals they way you are.
You did. See your post above mine.

Now what?

You compared the third years of Obama (2010), with Trump (2020). Or do you want to claim you never did that? Or did you not realize that's what those charts do?

Beat it Joy. I have you running in circles.

Nobody measures performance between two different time intervals they way you are.
You did.

Now what?

You compared the third years of Obama (2010), with Trump (2020). Or do you want to claim you never did that? Or did you not realize that's what those charts do?

I'm comparing the span of their presidencies.

Here is another source, enjoy.

Obama still dominates over Trump when it comes to stock market performance

You did.

Now what?

Of course you refer me to a site with a paywall. Try again.

I'm comparing the span of their presidencies

Which is, as you said was measuring "performance between two different time intervals" the way I was.

Sure. We can keep talking, or you can admit you were wrong. I can stay up all night. You are simply trying to get in the last word.

I'm comparing the span of their presidencies

Which is, as you said measuring "performance between two different time intervals" the way I was.

Sure. We can keep talking, or you can admit you were wrong. I can stay up all night. You are simply trying to get in the last word.

I'm not wrong. So, I'm going to say that every time. By your logic every previous president would be at a disadvantage as the market value was lower and lower. A 2% gain in 1950 is nothing compared to a 2% gain in the 2000s. It's not an accurate way to measure gains (or losses) over time. The 1929 crash lost less than 100 points but was 25% of the market. Now, that's nothing but if the market dropped 25% today it'd be thousands of points.

You did.

Now what?

Of course you refer me to a site with a paywall. Try again.

I've provided multiple sources they all say the same thing. the market as a percentage rose higher in the Obama years.

It's not an accurate way to measure gains (or losses) over time.
Ah that's exactly what you just did.

And when I beat you with your own logic, this is what you come back with.

Game over, Joy. Admit your failure, admit your hypocrisy, and be at peace with your conscience.

Last edited:
The stock market isn't going down because of Trump's speech per se. It's going down because the virus is causing uncertainty. Trump's speech is just a catalyst that confirms this uncertainty. It went down yesterday when the WHO declared the virus a global pandemic. It will continue going down until there is more certainty about the extent of the pandemic. It will stop going down when the market sees the end of it. That will probably happen when the rate of change in the the rate of change in the number of new cases turns negative.

It might go down a whole lot more. But I imagine it will bounce pretty sharply afterwards. I think we are higher a year from now than we are today.

Try and imagine a world where everything stops for two weeks. You would have two weeks of lost economic output that would resume thereafter.

Smells like a troll ran through here... multiple trolls.

Of course, people as sadistic as you would naturally cheer the failure and misfortune of others.

I and others have lost a lot of money lately. I'm not happy about this, but if you're going to proclaim that the stock market is up and it's due to Trump then you have to own the fall as well. Enjoy.
Why did you lose so much money? Why did you fuck up your investments?

Idiot, everyone's portfolio ain't what it used to be two weeks ago. You're not Gordon Gekko, fuck off.

Why are you dodging the question?

It's a dumb question. Asked by someone who doesn't have any money in the market most likely.
I disagree with your stupid assertion that it's a dumb question.

But you are correct that I do not have significant investment in the stock market. And in this post from a couple of years ago I explain why.

IIRC, a bull market took the DJIA to a record high of ~14,000 in October of 2007. And when that bubble burst in March of 2009 the DJIA dipped all the way down to ~6,600. On Friday after Fed Chair Yellen was replaced ,the DJIA closed at ~25,500.

Are the DJIA stocks really worth 11,500 more than they were just a decade ago?

Remember folks, the Donald himself, correctly proclaimed IMO, that the market was already in "a big fat ugly bubble" less that a year and a half ago when the DJIA was hovering around 18,000. And he noted that we will have to be "very careful" to get out of that precarious mess. If it was in "a big fat ugly bubble" at 18,000, what is it now at 25,500?

What I do know is that I'm keeping my investments away from the stock market. And if the Trump administration somehow avoids a huge market crash then I will be convinced that Trump is a fucking economic genius.

I didn't lose money, you did. So it seems to me that I'm not asking any dumb questions. You are failing to objectively examine smart questions.

Understand, or no?

Last edited:
You people are disgusting. People are dying and all you can do is gloat about how great it is that it's hurting the economy.
It is the Trumptards of the world who are posting the virus is a hoax or a nothing burger. They are the one’s endangering lives and are the despicable human beings. As far as the market is concerned I have money in the market as well. That is why I want competence at the White House. There is none. It is chaos and ineptitude. The market has no faith that Trump can do the right thing. That is just the way it is.

I've got news for you, the markets wanted Trump re-elected for a reason. This downturn has NOTHING to do with their confidence in Trump and EVERYTHING to do with a virus that is affecting many countries around the world. That is NOT Trump's fault.

Forum List

Back