Dozens Of Gay Couples Line Up To Be Wed In New Mexico

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
Another victory for civil rights and equality.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — More than 100 people lined up in Albuquerque Tuesday morning as the clerk in New Mexico’s most populous county began issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples.

The clerk opened her office to the excited crowd at 8 a.m., and a mass wedding was planned at noon in Albuquerque’s Civic Plaza.

Patricia Catlett, a 61-year-old graphic designer from Albuquerque, and her partner of 25 years, Karen Schmiege, a 69-year-old retired librarian, were the first to get their license in Bernalillo County.

“I am so excited, I can’t stand it,” Schmiege said as they signed their papers.

As the couple walked out of the booth where they received their license, the crowd applauded and cheered. The two raised their hands, and the crowd responded by putting their fists in the air.

“I want her to take me to Costa Rica,” Schmiege said. “She promised.”

Bernalillo County Clerk Maggie Toulouse Oliver began recognizing same-sex unions after State District Judge Alan Malott on Monday declared gay marriage legal, saying New Mexico’s constitution prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

She joins clerks in the state’s other two population centers in recognizing same-sex unions.

The clerk in the southern New Mexico county of Dona Ana decided to begin issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples last Wednesday. Two days later, a judge in Santa Fe ordered the county clerk there to do so.

Exciting times in America, as we progress toward the ideal of equal rights for all that our forefathers outlined.

Once a nation goes down the road of depravity it doesn't stop. It is destroyed.

The homosexual men and women are getting ready for their trip down marriage lane.
I wonder who will get there first?
Will it be a race?
I know that the lesbians are fast and go lickity split.
But the gay men know how to pack their shit and get down the road.

Texas is full of steers and queers also.
So if you don't have horns........

according to my drill sargents and all other NCO's in basic training.

Bernalillo County Clerk Maggie Toulouse Oliver began recognizing same-sex unions after State District Judge Alan Malott on Monday declared gay marriage legal, saying New Mexico’s constitution prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

She joins clerks in the state’s other two population centers in recognizing same-sex unions.

The clerk in the southern New Mexico county of Dona Ana decided to begin issuing marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples last Wednesday. Two days later, a judge in Santa Fe ordered the county clerk there to do so.

Exciting times, indeed.

Jurists of good faith are acknowledging the original intent of the Framers as expressed in state constitutions that all citizens are entitled to individual liberty as guaranteed by the 5th Amendment.

Once a nation goes down the road of depravity it doesn't stop. It is destroyed.

Perhaps.

But homosexuality isn’t ‘depravity,’ and there's noting 'depraved' about the states recognizing the equal protection rights of same-sex couples.

And as a conservative you should be in support of this: these are government officials at the very local level making decisions along with state judges, it’s not being ‘forced’ on the state from the ‘outside.’

Put it to a vote and let the people decide what kind of culture they want to live in. Not have it imposed by idealogues.

Forum List

Back