Dr Benjamin Carson Prayer Breakfast Speech! Wow!!!

No, you missed my point, as usual.

You RWers latched on to THE PARTS that you liked, but missed his bigger point.

I don't disagree with the points you made about his speech, however that wasn't HIS ONLY message. There was more to it, and the RW totally ignored that.

You latched on to the parts you felt were attacking Obama (and the Dems) and ignored everything else.

Like you just stated, he placed blame at the feet of the Republicans as well.

It wasn't a partisan speech, however Republicans are acting and taking it as such.

:eusa_eh: I didn't allude to him "attacking" Obama or Democrats.
His speech was anti-partisan, which makes it "anti-Obama" because Obama is very partisan. What struck me so much was the fact Obama sat there and grimaced and frowned the entire time because he cannot stand to be challenged,
Dr. Carson challenges us all, Democrats and Republicans....which is why I would vote for him in a second.
well, I suppose it's to be expected that you can't help yourself but to latch on the the anti-Obama aspect of it.

I'm simply putting his speech in it's proper perspective.

Carry on. :cool:

Typically when you invite someone to your event to speak, you expect that they'll say things you agree with and/or according to your plan. In this case, it wasn't quite in-line with Obama's message. So how should Obama have reacted? Sat there and grin and smile?

The amazing part of this is how blind you are to your own faults.

Matthew 7:3-5 NIV

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Close...

He actually started his speech by reading four (4) texts of Scripture.

Source: Proverbs - Purpose and Theme - The proverbs of - Bible Gateway

His message here is to communicate that words have meaning and words have power. The power to destroy others with negative words. Either by offense, lies, slander or the like.

He further expounds on the concept of words having the ability to destroy people by citing the text of Scripture that states that those who engage in that are not wise. Hence, only fools and ignoramuses seek to demean and deride and offend others for the sake of offending.

He continues with a text of Scripture that states the importance of being genereous and the blessings of being generous. That is, of course, sharing your wealth.

Source: 2 - - Bible Gateway

His final choice of Scripture covers Christians and how they should act. Note "my people, who are called by my name" meaning not heathens or athiests, but self-proclaimed Christians. If you call yourself a Christian...act like one. Which ties back into his 3 previous text he cited on how to act.

Then he specifically went on that it was NOT his intention to offend anyone, and went on to expound on that.

The point is, he's not saying things for the purpose of offending others...that's the message. It was after all this that he began his speech.

Now let's look at the RW response. NOTHING of what I just covered is mentioned. What did they latch on to instead? Oh how Dr. Carson embarrassed the President and spoke out against his policies. Which was EXACTLY the opposite of Dr. Carson's intent.

You guys seem to be very skillful at missing and misconstruing glaringly obvious messages and extracting what YOU want from it.

Carry on.
I suppose you didn't hear the part about a flat tax. You could see through Obama's pokerface at that point. The Horror! The Horror!

In other words, he quoted Scripture that cited what God expects of 'people who are called by my name"--this relates to a passage in 2 Chronicles:
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land​
which passage addressed the Jews at that time. . . .and also what God expects of Christians. . . .as the framework for a plea for a return to common sense values that, in his opinion, would allow God to heal our land. . . . .

Perhaps you remember President Obama's remarks at last year's National Prayer Breakfast?

During last year’s National Prayer Breakfast, Obama took a more political tone and addressed public policy stances, including barring health insurance companies from rejecting people with pre-existing conditions and reducing tax breaks for the wealthy, which he tied in with some popular Bible verses.

“o when I talk about our financial institutions playing by the same rules as folks on Main Street…or making sure that unscrupulous lenders aren’t taking advantage of the most vulnerable among us, I do so because I genuinely believe it will make the economy strong for everybody,” Obama said on Feb. 2, 2012.

“But I also do it because I know that far too many neighbors in our country have been hurt and treated unfairly over the last few years, and I believe in God’s command to ‘love thy neighbor as thyself.’”
Obama Calls Americans ?People of Faith? at National Prayer Breakfast « Christ News
This year he was less political and spent his time not saying much at all but he did say this:

"In a democracy as big and as diverse as ours, we will encounter every opinion," he said. "And our task as citizens -- whether we are leaders in government or business or spreading the word -- is to spend our days with open hearts and open minds; to seek out the truth that exists in an opposing view and to find the common ground that allows for us as a nation, as a people, to take real and meaningful action. And we have to do that humbly, for no one can know the full and encompassing mind of God. And we have to do it every day, not just at a prayer breakfast." . . .
Remarks by the President at the National Prayer Breakfast | The White House
President Obama Calls for Humility at the National Prayer Breakfast | The White House

I would very much like for the President and all of us to follow his counsel in that particular remark.

The problem is that Obama's idea of humility is people to agree with his infinite wisdom instead of him listening to other people who might have a better idea.

Articulate black man makes a great speech..........LETS MAKE HIM PRESIDENT!!!!!

Hey, didn't the GOP talk trash about the Democrats for doing exactly that same thing?????

Nope.....the articulate black man that we like actually has a brain and compassion. :)

Forum List

Back