Dr Benjamin Carson Prayer Breakfast Speech! Wow!!!

And I suppose that you have some kind of "insider" information about Dr. Carson's politics, based on the fact that you use Malcolm X as your avatar? :cuckoo:
Actually, I have a clue.

However, that wasn't my point.

I didn't say I did, I simply said the guy DIDN'T.

What were his first words of the speech, and what message did you get from them?

Since I, unlike you, do not think my religion revolves around politics, the message I got is that the government needs to stop pretending it is the source of our way of life.
Where are you getting that from?

You don't even know what religion I have.

What makes you THINK that my religion revolves around politics?

I don't care if this guy is green, purple, pink black or white...but after seeing this speech...I would vote for this guy any day of the week.
This was a great speech, even Michelle applauded this man 10-15 times...but did you notice her husband? Sat there like a bump on a log - he wasn't going to clap. No sir. Not a goddamn whisper. Why? Because this man categorically spoke meaning that Obama disagrees with vehemently...words like:
Self reliance.
Fairness.
Real education.
Earning is better than getting something for nothing.

We have the wrong black man in office.

Go freaking figure.

I put up a thread that no one paid attention to. Obama being declared racist by black civil rights leaders because they are shutting down inner city schools.

And I'm not kidding. These civil rights leaders went to Washington. Arnie walked out on them.

Not kidding. The Secretary of Education walked out on them.

He started his speech by relating the uniformity between Republicans and Democrats when asked what most concerned them in their spirituality. And that this informed his comments prepared for the National Prayer Breakfast. And you have a problem with this, how?
Close...

He actually started his speech by reading four (4) texts of Scripture.

Proverbs 11:9 (New International Version) said:
With their mouths the godless destroy their neighbors, but through knowledge the righteous escape.
Source: Proverbs - Purpose and Theme - The proverbs of - Bible Gateway

His message here is to communicate that words have meaning and words have power. The power to destroy others with negative words. Either by offense, lies, slander or the like.

He further expounds on the concept of words having the ability to destroy people by citing the text of Scripture that states that those who engage in that are not wise. Hence, only fools and ignoramuses seek to demean and deride and offend others for the sake of offending.

Proverbs 11:25 (New International Version) said:
A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.

He continues with a text of Scripture that states the importance of being genereous and the blessings of being generous. That is, of course, sharing your wealth.

2 Chronicles 7:14 (New International Version) said:
if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Source: 2 - - Bible Gateway

His final choice of Scripture covers Christians and how they should act. Note "my people, who are called by my name" meaning not heathens or athiests, but self-proclaimed Christians. If you call yourself a Christian...act like one. Which ties back into his 3 previous text he cited on how to act.

Then he specifically went on that it was NOT his intention to offend anyone, and went on to expound on that.

The point is, he's not saying things for the purpose of offending others...that's the message. It was after all this that he began his speech.

Now let's look at the RW response. NOTHING of what I just covered is mentioned. What did they latch on to instead? Oh how Dr. Carson embarrassed the President and spoke out against his policies. Which was EXACTLY the opposite of Dr. Carson's intent.

You guys seem to be very skillful at missing and misconstruing glaringly obvious messages and extracting what YOU want from it.

Carry on.
I suppose you didn't hear the part about a flat tax. You could see through Obama's pokerface at that point. The Horror! The Horror!

MarcATL - you are no less "wrong" than who you are arguing against.
Those of us who are conservative "latched" onto this mans speech because it was thoroughly a conservative-minded speech.
But why do the "RW's" in particular love the speech? Easy...this man categorically showed how the policies of Obama are wrong.
Specifically:
1) Most social programs further poverty instead of solve them.
2) Everyone should help themselves BEFORE expecting, and therefore relying on - someone else to help them.
3) Government is a bureaucracy that stands in the way of progress. A system plagued by those who seek to beat the other guy rather than solve problems.
4) Our education system is broken, and more money is not the solution.
5) If nothing else Dr. Carson spoke of working together to solve our nations problems. Obama, as well as leading Republicans do anything BUT work together and they are BOTH at fault.

Those of us who are conservative "latched" onto this mans speech because it was thoroughly a conservative-minded speech.
But why do the "RW's" in particular love the speech? Easy...this man categorically showed how the policies of Obama are wrong.
Specifically:
2) Everyone should help themselves BEFORE expecting, and therefore relying on - someone else to help them.
3) Government is a bureaucracy that stands in the way of progress. A system plagued by those who seek to beat the other guy rather than solve problems.
5) If nothing else Dr. Carson spoke of working together to solve our nations problems. Obama, as well as leading Republicans do anything BUT work together and they are BOTH at fault.
No, you missed my point, as usual.

You RWers latched on to THE PARTS that you liked, but missed his bigger point.

I don't disagree with the points you made about his speech, however that wasn't HIS ONLY message. There was more to it, and the RW totally ignored that.

You latched on to the parts you felt were attacking Obama (and the Dems) and ignored everything else.

Like you just stated, he placed blame at the feet of the Republicans as well.

It wasn't a partisan speech, however Republicans are acting and taking it as such.

Specifically:

I don't disagree with the points you made about his speech, however that wasn't HIS ONLY message. There was more to it, and the RW totally ignored that.

You latched on to the parts you felt were attacking Obama (and the Dems) and ignored everything else.

It wasn't a partisan speech, however Republicans are acting and taking it as such.

:eusa_eh: I didn't allude to him "attacking" Obama or Democrats.
His speech was anti-partisan, which makes it "anti-Obama" because Obama is very partisan. What struck me so much was the fact Obama sat there and grimaced and frowned the entire time because he cannot stand to be challenged,
Dr. Carson challenges us all, Democrats and Republicans....which is why I would vote for him in a second.

Specifically:

:eusa_eh: I didn't allude to him "attacking" Obama or Democrats.
His speech was anti-partisan, which makes it "anti-Obama" because Obama is very partisan. What struck me so much was the fact Obama sat there and grimaced and frowned the entire time because he cannot stand to be challenged,
Dr. Carson challenges us all, Democrats and Republicans....which is why I would vote for him in a second.
well, I suppose it's to be expected that you can't help yourself but to latch on the the anti-Obama aspect of it.

I'm simply putting his speech in it's proper perspective.

Carry on. :cool:

Typically when you invite someone to your event to speak, you expect that they'll say things you agree with and/or according to your plan. In this case, it wasn't quite in-line with Obama's message. So how should Obama have reacted? Sat there and grin and smile?

Last edited:
This guy needs to run for President! Wow.....

See the Prayer Breakfast Speech That’s Grabbing Headlines: Doctor Attacks Political Correctness, National Debt in Front of Obama

One of the more unique speeches delivered at this morning’s National Prayer Breakfast came from Dr. Benjamin S. Carson, a world-renowned pediatric neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Taking the stage before President Barack Obama’s faith-filled address, Carson spoke for more than 25 minutes, tackling issues ranging from education to personal responsibility. His keynote, while predicated upon the theme of Jesus Christ as his ultimate role model, also took a starkly political tone, advocating against some of the very policies the president has implemented.
See the Prayer Breakfast Speech That?s Grabbing Headlines: Doctor Attacks Political Correctness, National Debt in Front of Obama | Video | TheBlaze.com
I met the man in 1990 at age 14 and he signed my copy of his book.

I'd certainly vote for him for anything. However, he's not political...he's sincerely religious w/sound bible-based doctrine.

The radical RW Christian Republicans can learn a thing or two from him. He doesn't preach it, he lives it.

Like I've stated before, if Republicans only practiced what they preached, they'd be surprised at who and how many people supported and voted for them. But, alas, they won't.

He is a house negro in your book! Not a great, kind, sympathetic American healer, that came from little and rose to the top of the medical field. He is world renouned as one of the best in the field! Amen to the man for just that accomplishment! Amen for keeping America on top!

Every word he uttered was appropriate the the truth!

Articulate black man makes a great speech..........LETS MAKE HIM PRESIDENT!!!!!

Hey, didn't the GOP talk trash about the Democrats for doing exactly that same thing?????

Anyone who has ever read one of Ben Carson's many books, or has heard him speak, would not be surprised at what he said at the prayer breakfast. Nor would they find it controversial.
Whoever brought him to speak had a pretty good idea what he would say. Taken in it's entirety, instead of choosing a soundbite, his speech was no less critical of one side than the other.
I highly recomend his books
"America the Beautiful" and "Think Big"

This guy needs to run for President! Wow.....

See the Prayer Breakfast Speech That’s Grabbing Headlines: Doctor Attacks Political Correctness, National Debt in Front of Obama

One of the more unique speeches delivered at this morning’s National Prayer Breakfast came from Dr. Benjamin S. Carson, a world-renowned pediatric neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Taking the stage before President Barack Obama’s faith-filled address, Carson spoke for more than 25 minutes, tackling issues ranging from education to personal responsibility. His keynote, while predicated upon the theme of Jesus Christ as his ultimate role model, also took a starkly political tone, advocating against some of the very policies the president has implemented.
See the Prayer Breakfast Speech That?s Grabbing Headlines: Doctor Attacks Political Correctness, National Debt in Front of Obama | Video | TheBlaze.com
I met the man in 1990 at age 14 and he signed my copy of his book.

I'd certainly vote for him for anything. However, he's not political...he's sincerely religious w/sound bible-based doctrine.

The radical RW Christian Republicans can learn a thing or two from him. He doesn't preach it, he lives it.

Like I've stated before, if Republicans only practiced what they preached, they'd be surprised at who and how many people supported and voted for them. But, alas, they won't.

He is a house negro in your book! Not a great, kind, sympathetic American healer, that came from little and rose to the top of the medical field. He is world renouned as one of the best in the field! Amen to the man for just that accomplishment! Amen for keeping America on top!

Every word he uttered was appropriate the the truth!
You took the FACT that I met him at age 14, and got him to sign MY COPY of HIS BOOK as me thinking he's a "House Negro?!?!"

WoW!!!

:cuckoo:

He started his speech by relating the uniformity between Republicans and Democrats when asked what most concerned them in their spirituality. And that this informed his comments prepared for the National Prayer Breakfast. And you have a problem with this, how?
Close...

His message here is to communicate that words have meaning and words have power. The power to destroy others with negative words. Either by offense, lies, slander or the like.

He further expounds on the concept of words having the ability to destroy people by citing the text of Scripture that states that those who engage in that are not wise. Hence, only fools and ignoramuses seek to demean and deride and offend others for the sake of offending.

He continues with a text of Scripture that states the importance of being genereous and the blessings of being generous. That is, of course, sharing your wealth.

if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

His final choice of Scripture covers Christians and how they should act. Note "my people, who are called by my name" meaning not heathens or athiests, but self-proclaimed Christians. If you call yourself a Christian...act like one. Which ties back into his 3 previous text he cited on how to act.

Then he specifically went on that it was NOT his intention to offend anyone, and went on to expound on that.

The point is, he's not saying things for the purpose of offending others...that's the message. It was after all this that he began his speech.

Now let's look at the RW response. NOTHING of what I just covered is mentioned. What did they latch on to instead? Oh how Dr. Carson embarrassed the President and spoke out against his policies. Which was EXACTLY the opposite of Dr. Carson's intent.

You guys seem to be very skillful at missing and misconstruing glaringly obvious messages and extracting what YOU want from it.

Carry on.
I suppose you didn't hear the part about a flat tax. You could see through Obama's pokerface at that point. The Horror! The Horror!

In other words, he quoted Scripture that cited what God expects of 'people who are called by my name"--this relates to a passage in 2 Chronicles:
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land​

which passage addressed the Jews at that time. . . .and also what God expects of Christians. . . .as the framework for a plea for a return to common sense values that, in his opinion, would allow God to heal our land. . . . .

Perhaps you remember President Obama's remarks at last year's National Prayer Breakfast?

During last year’s National Prayer Breakfast, Obama took a more political tone and addressed public policy stances, including barring health insurance companies from rejecting people with pre-existing conditions and reducing tax breaks for the wealthy, which he tied in with some popular Bible verses.

“o when I talk about our financial institutions playing by the same rules as folks on Main Street…or making sure that unscrupulous lenders aren’t taking advantage of the most vulnerable among us, I do so because I genuinely believe it will make the economy strong for everybody,” Obama said on Feb. 2, 2012.

“But I also do it because I know that far too many neighbors in our country have been hurt and treated unfairly over the last few years, and I believe in God’s command to ‘love thy neighbor as thyself.’”
Obama Calls Americans ?People of Faith? at National Prayer Breakfast « Christ News

This year he was less political and spent his time not saying much at all but he did say this:

"In a democracy as big and as diverse as ours, we will encounter every opinion," he said. "And our task as citizens -- whether we are leaders in government or business or spreading the word -- is to spend our days with open hearts and open minds; to seek out the truth that exists in an opposing view and to find the common ground that allows for us as a nation, as a people, to take real and meaningful action. And we have to do that humbly, for no one can know the full and encompassing mind of God. And we have to do it every day, not just at a prayer breakfast." . . .
Remarks by the President at the National Prayer Breakfast | The White House
President Obama Calls for Humility at the National Prayer Breakfast | The White House

I would very much like for the President and all of us to follow his counsel in that particular remark.

Articulate black man makes a great speech..........LETS MAKE HIM PRESIDENT!!!!!

Hey, didn't the GOP talk trash about the Democrats for doing exactly that same thing?????

:doubt:
His color had nothing to do with it. It is was the content of the speech.
It was not the pompous rhetoric and drum beating that you usually can expect from politicians including this President. No, it was a speech that talked about what is wrong with our broken system and simple solutions on how to fix it.

In contrast, let's see what Obama's speech will be about tonight.
I will go on a limb and predict he will talk about spending more on education...nevermind that it is a completely broken system that cost waaaaaay too much, and doesn't educate the public near the standards of other western cultures.
He will talk about tuition cost just like he did in his first state of the union, but will offer nothing to fix it. (consequently of course, the influx of massive government funded grants is THE reason why tuition is so high) He won't talk about abysmal graduation rates of community colleges which swallow massive amounts of taxpayer funded grants. Many of these schools have SINGLE-DIGIT graduation rates...talk about a waste of money - but he will want to "invest" even more into them.
He will talk about gun control rather than crime control.
He will talk about expanding the role of government but say it in a way that the sheep will applaud...on their feet. He will talk about fair taxation...or at least what he perceives as fair a.k.a. - tax the rich more...without mentioning that it is the middle class that pays more, just like they do now.
Etc. etc, etc.
THIS is why people like this man, he is non-partisan, doesn't like Washington, doesn't trust Washington and knows that our system of governance, education and finance - is completely broke and corrupt.

Close...

Proverbs 11:9 (New International Version) said:
With their mouths the godless destroy their neighbors, but through knowledge the righteous escape.

Proverbs 11:25 (New International Version) said:
A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.

Carry on.

The sad thing about dealing with progressives is that they take offense when people start talking about policy that disagrees with their goal to put the entire world under one central planning committee. This makes it impossible to hold a rational discussion about the issues because they take it personally, which is why Carson went out of his way to point out that was not his intent, even while attacking the sacred cows of education and political correctness.

If you look around, are are honest, two things that I do not believe you are capable of, you will see it is not the right that is taking his words as a challenge.

Actually, I have a clue.

However, that wasn't my point.

I didn't say I did, I simply said the guy DIDN'T.

What were his first words of the speech, and what message did you get from them?

Since I, unlike you, do not think my religion revolves around politics, the message I got is that the government needs to stop pretending it is the source of our way of life.
Where are you getting that from?

You don't even know what religion I have.

What makes you THINK that my religion revolves around politics?

Did you suddenly drop your argument Christians should support the government in its intent to remake society into something you perceive as being more in line with the teachings of Jesus? Did I miss your recantation? If I did, post a link, or just repeat it, and I will apologize.

If you didn't, you should be ashamed of yourself for not standing up for what you believe after attempting to lecture me about the meaning of 2 Chronicles 7:14.

By the way, if you don't know the difference between religion and doctrine, which you have actually spread all over this board, you really shouldn't be posting about either.

Last edited:
Specifically:

Which Republicans? r are you still insisting that everyone who disagrees with you is a Republican?

Specifically:
If a lolberal does something like this, libloon kooks like Marcie call it "speaking truth to power". ;)

Forum List

Back