DSM-5: Will millions more Americans be diagnosed with mental illness?

Spoonman

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2010
now this is very interesting, espescially when you look at other current issues along side it like proposed background checks for gun purchases. We have already seen cases where individuals have been denied and even have had guns they own taken away from them because they had taken an atidepressant in the past for anxiety or depression. So now with these new classifications of mental illness can someone be denied the right to own a gun because they had PMS or tantrums as a child?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=20

DSM-5: Will millions more Americans be diagnosed with mental illness?

by Lisa Collier Cool

Health Topics »The impending publication of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5) has kindled fiery debate about whether Americans are being vastly over-diagnosed with mental illness or if Americans are psychologically sicker than they used to be.

The new "bible" of psychiatric diagnoses, which will be released later this month, includes new disorders relating to grief, childhood temper tantrums, binge eating, PMS, and painful sex (now called genito-pelvic pain/penetration disorder), among others. It has also changed how existing conditions—including oft-polarizing ADHD and autism—are diagnosed.

According to the new definitions the DSM-5 uses, some experts predict about 50 percent of U.S. citizens could be diagnosed as "mentally ill" at some point during their lifetime.

Faces of Mental Illness: Patients Share Their Stories

A Firestorm of Controversy
The DSM-5 changes were approved late last year, and since then, plenty of experts and organizations have weighed in on the pros and cons of the new guide.

How about we start at the top with Obama... Narcissism is indeed a form of mental illness.

All they have to do is change the standards and there's nothing to keep the government from having 100% of the population mentally ill.

Grief after the death of a loved one is mental illness.

Is grief a mental illness? Psychiatrists, critics face off over revised diagnostic guidebook | StarTribune.com

Once it is determined by experts that all feelings and emotions are a manifestation of some kind of mental illness, they are on their way to a fully pathological and medicated people.

sounds a lot like what hitler did. they determined people were mentally unfit and that wa grounds to remove them from society.

Uh...may I suggest you wait to see what's actually in it before getting your shorts in a knot?

"Some experts predict ..." Who are these experts or are you simply channeling a Fox News 'Journalist'?

I suppose the standard definition for Paranoid Schizophrenia has remained the same, and most Americans would agree that those with such a mental condition should never own a firearm.

It will be up to legislators to define laws restricting gun ownership, and the Supreme Court to decide on the Constitutionality of such laws. DSM-IV(r) is a tool used by professionals and not used to legislate.

Uh...may I suggest you wait to see what's actually in it before getting your shorts in a knot?

thats what nancy pelosi said about obamacare and look at the screwing we got. no thank you

"Some experts predict ..." Who are these experts or are you simply channeling a Fox News 'Journalist'?

I suppose the standard definition for Paranoid Schizophrenia has remained the same, and most Americans would agree that those with such a mental condition should never own a firearm.

It will be up to legislators to define laws restricting gun ownership, and the Supreme Court to decide on the Constitutionality of such laws. DSM-IV(r) is a tool used by professionals and not used to legislate.

james madison who wrote the 2nd amendment already defined what the intent and purpose was. legislators writing any restrictive laws are clearly unconstitutional.

interesting how the experts cited in the article have nothing at all to do with fox. so you know where you can stick you biased liberal spin.

Plenty of reports from Reputable Medical Sources that say what's in it.

Why don't you look into it before you commit to it and create another Vietnam debacle for yourself? You would think people like you who got f*cked over by their own bad decisions would have learned by now?

Besides, diagnosing everyone with a Mental Illness (through ObamaCare Medical Records Integration), forcing Prescriptions drugs on them then using that as a basis for taking away their guns is a brilliant plan.

I bet this is great news for the pharmaceutical industry ...

james madison who wrote the 2nd amendment already defined what the intent and purpose was. legislators writing any restrictive laws are clearly unconstitutional.

interesting how the experts cited in the article have nothing at all to do with fox. so you know where you can stick you biased liberal spin.

Define arms, then project on Madison's opinion on ordinary citizens owning SAMs while living near an airport.

Define arms, then project on Madison's opinion on ordinary citizens owning SAMs while living near an airport.

madison described his intent as having the populace as strong as the central government, armed, so they could keep the government in line if they ever got out of order. He intended the populace to be as well armed as the military. and as far as regulated, he clearly described them as being self regulated, not by the government.

I bet this is great news for the pharmaceutical industry ...

i'll even bet they had a hand in drafting it

Well....they need to illness' to medicate for damnit! :eusa_whistle:

America - the most medicated nation on earth.

here's the one that always gets me. cholesterol is a major cause of heart disease. we need to get cholesteol levels down. statins become the most prescribed drugs ever. well they do succeed in getting cholesterol levels down like they said they would. we no longer have a widspread cholesterol issue. but guess what? heart disease didn't go down? WTF?

madison described his intent as having the populace as strong as the central government, armed, so they could keep the government in line if they ever got out of order. He intended the populace to be as well armed as the military. and as far as regulated, he clearly described them as being self regulated, not by the government.

You didn't answer the question. Your evasion suggests you are okay with a citizen, no matter their sobriety or sanity, to own a Surface to Air Missile.

Last edited:

You didn't answer the question. Your evasion suggests you are okay with a citizen, no matter their sobriety or sanity, to own a Surface to Air Missle.

no i did answer the question. I said I stand by madisons vision of the second amendment

You didn't answer the question. Your evasion suggests you are okay with a citizen, no matter their sobriety or sanity, to own a Surface to Air Missile.

no i did answer the question. I said I stand by madisons vision of the second amendment

Wow. Has it ever occur to you that Madison could not 'see' into the future and man's ability to creat arms capable of the mass slaughter of innocent citizens? And if Madison had the facts in evidence his opinion which you opine might be different?

Wow. Has it ever occur to you that Madison could not 'see' into the future and man's ability to creat arms capable of the mass slaughter of innocent citizens? And if Madison had the facts in evidence his opinion which you opine might be different?

One can not own a ground to air missile without a lot of federal licenses. Your argument is a failure.

Forum List

Back