Duck Dynasty?

Do you even watch Duck Dynasty?

Nobody has to watch Duck Dynasty to know what's going on here. Even the most casual observer can deduce the amount of intolerance being put on display by the network and gay rights activists. There's a bigger issue than just a TV show here.

IOW, no? You have no other investment here than just partisan BS.

And what of you? Your partisanship knows no boundaries. You spew leftist crap left right and sideways.

IOW, you can't lecture me about partisanship. There are a rare few issues I am actually partisan on.

When the likes of Palin, Fox entertainers, and others on the right perceive such issues as an “attack on free speech and freedom of religion,” they only demonstrate the ignorance common among many conservatives. Or it’s willful ignorance and demagoguery.

Most conservatives very much have a victim mentality.

oh boy
Now you can't speak up on anything folks or you'll you be called, playing a victim

thats just Far_ Left _Jones.....thats the way people like him are wired....

"The liberty of discussion is the great safeguard of all other liberties."

This is not about Duck Dynasty for me. I tried to watch twice and couldn't get through more than 10 or 15 minutes.

It is about Political Correctness run amuck.

You are entitled to your own opinion...and to express it as part of the liberty of discussion which is supposed to be part of the foundations of this country....BUT only if it is an opinion shared by Liberals.

They are all about Control...and it shows more and more every day.

And here we see an example of conservative ignorance and the victim mentality.

The issue has nothing to do with ‘liberty’ or ‘control.’ Has the cast member been arrested, is he in jeopardy of some civil fine? Of course not – he remains at complete liberty to say what he wishes.

Moreover, there is no such thing as ‘political correctness,’ that’s a ridiculous myth contrived by the right. Private society is at liberty to admonish those who engage in speech or behavior perceived to be inappropriate. In fact, that’s how it’s supposed to be, private society making the determination, not the government or courts.
and you have to be one big dumbass to believe that Jones....

When the likes of Palin, Fox entertainers, and others on the right perceive such issues as an “attack on free speech and freedom of religion,” they only demonstrate the ignorance common among many conservatives. Or it’s willful ignorance and demagoguery.

oh boy
Now you can't speak up on anything folks or you'll you be called, playing a victim

thats just Far_ Left _Jones.....thats the way people like him are wired....

I know that...some of the ugliest stuff I've read on here comes from him

He wasn't speaking on A&E or for or as a representative of A&E he was giving his own personal opinions in a magazine interview as for the examples given the Dixie Chicks comments were given overseas while the country was at war if that had been done by someone with conservative political leanings I suspect the reaction would have been much the same the difference with Bashir was that his comments were scripted and aired on his show he was speaking as a representative of MSNBC If Phil Robertson had done the same and used the Duck Dynasty show to push that viewpoint then you could say the punishment was warranted.

1) Punctuation is your friend
Irrelevant
2) Phil Robertson is known for being in a show on A&E. The only reason he got that interview was because of his association with A&E. Therefore, he is a representative of A&E while speaking to the media.
He was speaking to his views not the views of A&E therefore he is not representing A&E

3) The Dixie Chicks. Whether they were speaking overseas or in the US; during a time of peace or a time of war - they were attacked for their opinion. Do you think it was fair to attack them?
Anyone who attacks their country overseas during a time of war is likely to get attacked doesn't matter which way your politics lean.

4) Bashir apologized and resigned. Did Phil? Palin said that people on tv should take responsibility for their words. Should she not hold Phil to the same standard that she held Bashir to?

Bashir in all likely hood resigned because he was given the choice resign or be fired if Bashir had made his comments in a magazine interview not on his MSNBC show as Phil did he probably would not have been forced out. Both networks have the right to fire or suspend people over what they say on the shows the networks air they should not be able to fire or suspend you for what you say or do on your own time as long as your not doing anything illegal.

Some guy from a "reality" show said some stupid shit during an interview as a representative of the A&E network; so, A&E suspended him.

Cue drama.

Of course Palin and Fox had to pipe in calling his suspension an attack on free speech and freedom of religion.

But where were they when the Dixie Chicks practiced their right to free speech when they criticized the invasion of Iraq back in 2003? I don't recall Fox spending hours defending THEIR right to free speech after the group was boycotted and lost sponsorships and deals over their comments.

How about a more recent example?

After Bashir resigned over his comments about Palin, she went on Fox and said, "Those with that platform, with a microphone, a camera in their face, they have to have some more responsibility taken".

Shouldn't she have given that same advice to Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty? After all, he has a platform, a microphone, a camera in his face. Millions of people watch his show. He likely insulted some of them with his remarks. Shouldn't he be held to the same standards by the right-wing media as Bashir was? Bashir was punished. Why is it wrong to punish Phil?

But where were they when the Dixie Chicks practiced their right to free speech when they criticized the invasion of Iraq back in 2003? I don't recall Fox spending hours defending THEIR right to free speech after the group was boycotted and lost sponsorships and deals over their comments.

she was criticizing the US in a foreign land.....the Duck guy was giving his views on Gayness.... kind of a big difference.....

Well, no, the Dixie Chicks were not criticizing the U.S. .... they were criticizing a shitty president.

Some guy from a "reality" show said some stupid shit during an interview as a representative of the A&E network; so, A&E suspended him.

Cue drama.

Of course Palin and Fox had to pipe in calling his suspension an attack on free speech and freedom of religion.

After Bashir resigned over his comments about Palin, she went on Fox and said, "Those with that platform, with a microphone, a camera in their face, they have to have some more responsibility taken".

Shouldn't she have given that same advice to Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty? After all, he has a platform, a microphone, a camera in his face. Millions of people watch his show. He likely insulted some of them with his remarks. Shouldn't he be held to the same standards by the right-wing media as Bashir was? Bashir was punished. Why is it wrong to punish Phil?

she was criticizing the US in a foreign land.....the Duck guy was giving his views on Gayness.... kind of a big difference.....

Well, no, the Dixie Chicks were not criticizing the U.S. .... they were criticizing a shitty president.

And they paid for it, from their fans...Not some station they worked for

Perhaps you don't recall, but many radio stations boycotted them. So why was it ok for a radio station to ban the Dixie Chicks but not ok for A&E to do the same to Robertson?

Cue drama.

Free speech is free speech. There is no difference.

and you take the consequences of what you said......she was in a foreign land bad mouthing this Country,did she say the same thing in front of her Country audience here?.....at least then,she would have shown some backbone..... but from what i was told she did not.....i worked with a few Democrats who agreed with what she said....but they thought she was a jerk for saying it over where she was and not having the nuts to say it here......

There might be other duck call makers but there is only one that exactly reproduces the call of a duck and they have it. If anyone in the world wants a duck call that makes that sound, they have to buy a Duck Commander.

Not to be confrontational but thats BS. I've used all kinds of calls over the years and theirs really dont work any better then the others. It's all in HOW you use it.
You dont just blow through them.

Hmmmm. Yet most duck hunters would disagree with you!

Not this duck hunter,or any duck hunter I know. There are plenty of good duck calls out there. Zink or Rich-N-Tone comes to mind.
It's not like they use a different design. They all work off a reed or a double reed.

Perhaps you don't recall, but many radio stations boycotted them. So why was it ok for a radio station to ban the Dixie Chicks but not ok for A&E to do the same to Robertson?

If they did that was their right too

Just like all you people can Boycott A&E if you were offended over what he said...But he was giving an interview with a magazine wasn't even on A&E

If you don't see the dangers in this, not only with our jobs, but our freedoms of speech being attacked by some Group (Glaad) who got this person fired... I don't know what to tell you all

Nobody has to watch Duck Dynasty to know what's going on here. Even the most casual observer can deduce the amount of intolerance being put on display by the network and gay rights activists. There's a bigger issue than just a TV show here.

IOW, no? You have no other investment here than just partisan BS.

And what of you? Your partisanship knows no boundaries. You spew leftist crap left right and sideways.

IOW, you can't lecture me about partisanship. There are a rare few issues I am actually partisan on.

I post what I believe. I don't always go Democratic but I are one so most of them do tend to lean Left.

But not always. You just don't seem quite genuine in your support of the Duck Dynasty guy. I don't even watch it and you're way snootier than I am.

Make sense?

Cue drama.

you are right ....but my thing with "Celebrities" like her and Cloony and Glover is they make their statements out of Country and not here.....that shows a little bit of cowardness on their part...and then they come back and cry about the backlash they are getting....

i believe like i have said.....the Chicks opened their mouths overseas.....as far as i am concerned A&E can do what they want.....but THEY will have to deal with the fans of the show.....and this guy Phil will have to deal with any backlash he gets.....but right now those guys are probably more popular than ever....so A&E if they play their cards right may capitalize on this....

oh boy

No…

One is at liberty to ‘speak up’ concerning anything he wishes with impunity.

But when others disagree with their positions, most conservatives whine about their rights being ‘violated,’ when they’re factually not, and claim to be victims of unfair, unjust ‘discrimination’ by society as a whole, which is clearly not the case.

From the same link:

The organization is also currently researching companies who use Robertson as a spokesperson.

“Silence is agreement in this case,” he said. “With such egregious anti-gay and racist comments, those companies that choose to be affiliated with this family need to speak out.”

Pathetic. GLAAD is now using the same crap tactics that Jesse Jackasson and Al Sharpie use.

Uh no.

Stop with the breast beating and the silly ass bible thumping for a moment and try THINKING.

Remember llimbaugh? Beck? Other rw idiots?

How about left wing pundits and comedians?

This is the great American way. We vote with our money. If you love racism and taking rights away from Americans, then you should contact the sponsors and tell them so.

If you believe that all Americans are Constitutionally entitled to the same rights, then you should tell the sponsors you won't be buying their products any more.

As for the DD's - the old fart lives in the Dark Ages. He signed a contract, now he's broken the rules he agreed to and now he's paying the price. Quit whining and grow up.

Forum List

Back