Dylann Roof convicted of killing church goers

What do you find emotional about my response(s)?
Ethics is always emotional at its foundation.

You are weighing feelings one way and the other.
So it's emotional to be concerned about executing innocent people? Interesting. I disagree.

Rushing to execute people even if a few are innocent seems much more emotional to me. In that regard, unethical people are more emotional.

So, in your opinion, it's okay to execute an innocent person as long as we execute 999 heinous criminals? That it's the equivalent of "cost of doing business"?
In my opinion, using mistakes as an excuse to prohibit capital punishment is a rhetorical emotional argument against justice.

We should try not to make mistakes.

But mistakes will always happen.
It's not justice for a state to execute innocent people even if it's only a few.

Such an idea completely violates Blackstone's Formulation and the US Justice system, not to mention the intent of the Constitutional Bill of Rights.

About DOJ | DOJ | Department of Justice
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
To enforce the law and defend the interests of the United States according to the law; to ensure public safety against threats foreign and domestic; to provide federal leadership in preventing and controlling crime; to seek just punishment for those guilty of unlawful behavior; and to ensure fair and impartial administration of justice for all Americans.

D.Roof murdered so many people during his mass killing spree that he certainly deserves execution more than anyone else presently, similar to Timothy McVeigh.
Note that Tim McVeigh repeatedly demanded the death penalty. In his final manifesto in which he declared it was his right to die for the gravity of his offense and he did not wish to enable a "corrupt, lying government" to torment him with "decades of confinement in one of their psychological torture pits."

Further note that McVeigh's execution took place in a record short time from the day of sentencing. It is believed by many, myself included, that his death was expedited to shut him up. Because Timothy McVeigh's condemnations of the Waco Massacre, which was his primary motivation for the OKC bombing, had a strongly discomfiting effect on Bill Clinton, Janet Reno, BATF and FBI/HRT.

What McVeigh did was wrong -- but his reason was right. The same cannot be said for Dylan Root. What Root did, along with his reason, were as wrong as it gets.

Last edited:
So, in your opinion, it's okay to execute an innocent person as long as we execute 999 heinous criminals? That it's the equivalent of "cost of doing business"?
In my opinion, using mistakes as an excuse to prohibit capital punishment is a rhetorical emotional argument against justice.

I disagree with your assertion that executing innocent people is okay in order to allow the execution of those deserving it.

What McVeigh did was wrong -- but his reason was right. The same cannot be said for Dylan Root. What Root did, along with his reason, were as wrong as it gets.
How could killing 168 innocent American citizens, including 19 children, and wounding 500 more be considered "right"? The Ferguson rioters are using similar logic to McVeigh; they perceive an injustice by the government and then attack innocent fellow citizens in their anger at governmental actions.

How could killing 168 innocent American citizens, including 19 children, and wounding 500 more be considered "right"? The Ferguson rioters are using similar logic to McVeigh; they perceive an injustice by the government and then attack innocent fellow citizens in their anger at governmental actions.
Read it again. Did I say what McVeigh did was right?

His reason for doing it was. But he should have picked a more appropriate target.

Read it again. Did I say what McVeigh did was right?

His reason for doing it was. But he should have picked a more appropriate target.
You said his reason for attacking others was right. What more "appropriate target" would you suggest? An aircraft carrier? Fort Hood like Major Hasan? Congress?

Remember Joseph Stack? Was he right to attack the Austin, TX IRS building?

Last edited:
He admitted to the murders. On what grounds would an appeal be based?
The historically typical grounds for appealing a death penalty ruling is the inherently murderous nature of deliberately killing another human being.

Sometimes it works and the death penalty is commuted.
Of course. The act of mass murdering people in a Bible study is equivalent to the process of execution of the murderer.

Being taken care of, 3 hot meals a day laughing with friends while the loved ones of his victim struggle to survive.

Prison is not a bad place for many. Repeat offenders tell us that.
Quite true -- for some people. But that would not be true for Dylan Root. Because the average U.S. prison is an extension of the Black Ghettos from which the majority of its inmates derive.

Root would not last a week in the general population of any prison. So for him a life sentence would mean solitary confinement for the rest of his potentially long life. And because a substantial percentage of prison guards are Black, his solitary confinement experience would be as bad as it can be.

Last edited:
Being taken care of, 3 hot meals a day laughing with friends while the loved ones of his victim struggle to survive.

Quite true -- for some people. But that would not be true for Dylan Root. Because the average U.S. prison is an extension of the Black Ghettos from which the majority of its inmates derive.

Root would not last a week in the general population of any prison. So, for him, a life sentence would mean solitary confinement for the rest of his potentially long life. And because a substantial percentage of prison guards are Black, his solitary confinement experience would be as bad as it can be.
So execute him.

Of course. The act of mass murdering people in a Bible study is equivalent to the process of execution of the murderer.
If you disagree with that, and you are able to convince an appeals court, then the death ruling will stand.

Root would not last a week in the general population of any prison. So, for him, a life sentence would mean solitary confinement for the rest of his potentially long life. And because a substantial percentage of prison guards are Black, his solitary confinement experience would be as bad as it can be.
So execute him.
Which in the final analysis would be doing him a major favor.

If you disagree with that, and you are able to convince an appeals court, then the death ruling will stand..
Agreed. However, from a fiscally conservative POV, should we go through the expense? It costs more to execute than to keep him locked up for 50-70 years.

Which in the final analysis would be doing him a major favor.
Agreed. However, let's hope he saves the state some money and removes himself from the gene pool.

You said his reason for attacking others was right. What more "appropriate target" would you suggest? An aircraft carrier? Fort Hood like Major Hasan? Congress?
None of the above. But I can think of a few which I discreetly decline to list here.
Remember Joseph Stack? Was he right to attack the Austin, TX IRS building?
No. Because there were innocent respondents in that building at the time.

Last edited:
He admitted to the murders. On what grounds would an appeal be based?
The historically typical grounds for appealing a death penalty ruling is the inherently murderous nature of deliberately killing another human being.

Sometimes it works and the death penalty is commuted.
So you're from G/D New Jersey, no wonder you don't know anything about surfing. Nor about capital punishment.

D.Roof murdered so many people during his mass killing spree that he certainly deserves execution more than anyone else presently, similar to Timothy McVeigh.
Note that Tim McVeigh repeatedly demanded the death penalty. In his final manifesto in which he declared it was his right to die for the gravity of his offense and he did not wish to enable a "corrupt, lying government" to torment him with "decades of confinement in one of their psychological torture pits."

Further note that McVeigh's execution took place in a record short time from the day of sentencing. It is believed by many, myself included, that his death was expedited to shut him up. Because Timothy McVeigh's condemnations of the Waco Massacre, which was his primary motivation for the OKC bombing, had a strongly discomfiting effect on Bill Clinton, Janet Reno, BATF and FBI/HRT.

Anytime you kill any living thing for no good reason you are doing something wrong.

Killing a fellow human being for no good reason is the most egregious outrageous abominable crime.

Killing someone in self defense is perfectly justified.

Killing someone in retribution for their having murdered someone has historically been popular, although many modern states are too squeamish to administer this otherwise appropriate punishment.

No one would murder anyone else knowing they would be killed in return.

They delude themselves that they won't be apprehended and punished.

Some of these murderers have a death wish.

McVeigh and Roof seem to have this death wish mentality.

And to achieve their death wish they each killed a lot of innocent people.

These mass killers deserve to die and anyone not manly enough to execute them is a coward.

I disagree with your assertion that executing innocent people is okay in order to allow the execution of those deserving it.
That's your rhetorical misrepresentation.

You are arguing with yourself.

Coward.

Forum List

Back