Eagle Scout honor student expelled from school after forgetting gun locked in truck

Why do you keep bringing that up? The law does not excuse bad behavior because someone else did it.

This argument is flawed

Obviously, bad behavior was excused in one case, and responsible behavior was punished in another. What's the reason?

They aren't punishing him for calling his mommie you idiot, they are punishing him for possessing a firearm on school grounds.

If this kid had accidentally crossed the border with even one round of ammunition he'd be getting butt raped in a Mexican prison right now and no one would care. If he accidentally brings a weapon to his place of work in the future, he could be fired and possibly arrested (depending on where he works). This lesson learned experience may be helpful to him later in life.

Actually, they are punishing him for calling his mom because they never would have known about the gun if they hadn't overheard his conversation with his mother.

No you aren't. You are opposed to the law being enforced in this case. That means you aren't about the law.

I oppose all "Zero Tolerance" laws as being stupid laws that take the judgment of special circumstances out of the equation.

And laws that you oppose shouldn't be enforced, right?

A young girl here was to be expelled for giving a midol to another girl during lunch. Both were having their periods.

Sorry but I don't want other children giving my kid drugs that he should only take after consulting with a physician.
For menstrual cramps:

Adults—400 milligrams (mg) every four hours, as needed.
Children—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.

Midol: Proper Use - DailyStrength

You must think that's OK I guess. Where does it stop? Perhaps one kid could give another kid one of his oxycontins because that kid has a headache?

What crazy instructions.

For fever:■Children over 2 years of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.
■Children 6 months of age up to 2 years—Dose is based on body weight and body temperature, and must be determined by your doctor. For fever lower than 102.5 °F (39.2 °C), the dose usually is 5 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) (about 2.2 mg per pound) of body weight. For higher fever, the dose usually is 10 mg per kg (about 4.5 mg per pound) of body weight. The medicine may be given every six to eight hours, as needed, up to 40 mg per kg per day.
■Infants younger than 6 months of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.

◦For menstrual cramps:■Adults—400 milligrams (mg) every four hours, as needed.
■Children—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.

◦For mild to moderate pain:■Adults and teenagers—400 milligrams (mg) every four to six hours, as needed.■
Children over 6 months of age—Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. The dose usually is 10 milligrams (mg) per kilogram (kg) of body weight every six to eight hours, as needed, up to 40 mg per kg per day.
■Infants younger than 6 months of age—Use and dose must be determined by your doctor.

◦For osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis:■Adults and teenagers—1200 milligrams (mg) up to 3200 mg per day divided into three or four equal doses.
■Children—Dose is based on body weight and must be determined by your doctor. The dose usually is 30 milligrams (mg) to 40 mg per kilogram (kg) of body weight per day, divided into three or four doses.

So for cramps you have to seek a doctor's advice but for just plain 'ol pain you can take it without Dr advice.

No he won't. He was EXPELLED! He was charged with a felony. If he's 18, that means it will be on his record for the rest of his life, limiting his choice in careers and jobs which are already limited because he will NEVER graduate from high-school now. NEVER!

The punishment just doesn't fit the crime.

"Expelled" doesn't mean he can never go back to school.

It means that he can't go back to that school.

It sure as hell cuts down on schools that will accept him as a student

ADMIN: So tell me why you left XYZ High School.
STUDENT: I was expelled and convicted of a felony for bringing a gun to school.

Given the Liberal mindset of educators in this country, what do you suppose his chances are of finishing high school with anything but a GED?

I think you might not understand how the public high school system works.

Schools generally can't choose who to "accept".

His crime: He went skeet shooting the day before with some friends, safely unloaded and locked up his shotgun in his truck afterward, and then forgot it was there the next day when he drove to school.
Zero sympathy here – ‘forgot’ and ‘guns’ do not go together.

With gun ownership comes responsibility, and part of that responsibility is knowing gun laws, policies, rules, and regulations.

It’s better he learn a hard lesson at a young age.

Let’s hope this will compel him to never ‘forget’ about a gun again.

It is ridiculous what is happening to this guy, and it should be rectified. However, I cannot help but wonder if people would be up in arms if a gang banger were in the same situation.

I sincerely doubt a "gang banger" would have called his mother to come pick up the gun that was locked in his trunk. You are now comparing a person who knowingly commits crimes (a gang banger) with an honor student. Do you really think a "gang banger" would ever be in this situation in the first place? Being punished for calling his mother?

No he won't. He was EXPELLED! He was charged with a felony. If he's 18, that means it will be on his record for the rest of his life, limiting his choice in careers and jobs which are already limited because he will NEVER graduate from high-school now. NEVER!

The punishment just doesn't fit the crime.

Given the Liberal mindset of educators in this country, what do you suppose his chances are of finishing high school with anything but a GED?

100% since public schools aren't allowed to choose who goes there. Nearly every district had a secondary school for kids who've been in trouble and those that don't contract with the ones that do.

Zero sympathy here – ‘forgot’ and ‘guns’ do not go together.

With gun ownership comes responsibility, and part of that responsibility is knowing gun laws, policies, rules, and regulations.

It’s better he learn a hard lesson at a young age.

Let’s hope this will compel him to never ‘forget’ about a gun again.

It is ridiculous what is happening to this guy, and it should be rectified. However, I cannot help but wonder if people would be up in arms if a gang banger were in the same situation.

I sincerely doubt a "gang banger" would have called his mother to come pick up the gun that was locked in his trunk. You are now comparing a person who knowingly commits crimes (a gang banger) with an honor student. Do you really think a "gang banger" would ever be in this situation in the first place? Being punished for calling his mother?

Are you claiming that this honor student has never "knowingly committed crimes"? How do you know?

I'm trying to understand how you differentiate between "gang-bangers" and "not".

100% since public schools aren't allowed to choose who goes there. Nearly every district had a secondary school for kids who've been in trouble and those that don't contract with the ones that do.
Generally if you are expelled, another school can use that as grounds to refuse you admission.

CaféAuLait;7176501 said:
Eagle Scout Facing Expulsion over Gun Charge

PRINCETON, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Johnston County high school student has been expelled for bringing a gun onto school property, but the school's student body is coming to his defense.

David "Cole" Withrow is a senior at Princeton High School. He was set to graduate in just a few weeks, until his arrest Monday for bringing a gun to school.

Cole, who is an Eagle Scout and an honors student, said he forgot to take his gun out of his truck after skeet shooting. When he got to school and realized the gun was in his car, he went into school to call his mom so he could leave and take the gun home.

Some in the community wonder how a senior with just days left of school can be expelled when two years ago, the school's assistant principal accidentally brought a loaded gun to school in her car and was only suspended for three days.

Students defend classmate expelled for gun | abc11.com

Withrow had spent the weekend camping with a group of his friends, including Boykin’s son. The boys went fishing for catfish on Saturday and skeet shooting on Sunday.

He realized he had left his shotgun in his truck on Monday morning as he reached to grab his book bag, said Boykin.

“He didn’t know what to do,” she told Fox News. “If you jump in the truck and leave, then they get you for skipping school. Once you are there you have to say.”

So the teenager, who did his senior class project on gun safety, locked his truck, walked to the front office and called his mother. That’s when the trouble started

Eagle Scout Facing Expulsion over Gun Charge | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

So this kid was going to graduate with honors and now he can't. I also find it interesting that the vice principal made the same mistake and was only suspended for three days. I feel there should be a grey area and not so black and white. If the kid had not called his mother to do the right thing school adminstrators would have probably never know the gun was in his car.

The kid has learned some valuable lessons in life. Don't trust authority. Don't assume people are reasonable. Don't assume you know what "the right thing" is. Never tell on yourself. He will finish his classes in Summer School and his new view on confessing in front of strangers, even accidentally, will keep him out of trouble in the future.

One more time. He was expelled. That means he was kicked out of school forever, and unless something new has come out, he will not be able to complete his education ever.

Generally if you are expelled, another school can use that as grounds to refuse you admission.

Most schools are bound by zipcode and district and are compelled to take any child that resides within that boundary. And extreme cases are sent to secondary schools when that is not an option.

The kid will graduate and the judge will use discretion. Count on it

Where are you getting this information from? It's completely incorrect.

Every school district will have a designated school for students who have been expelled from other schools. There are laws on the books in every state that say everyone is entitled to at least 5 years of public high school.

CaféAuLait;7176501 said:

Eagle Scout Facing Expulsion over Gun Charge | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

So this kid was going to graduate with honors and now he can't. I also find it interesting that the vice principal made the same mistake and was only suspended for three days. I feel there should be a grey area and not so black and white. If the kid had not called his mother to do the right thing school adminstrators would have probably never know the gun was in his car.

The kid has learned some valuable lessons in life. Don't trust authority. Don't assume people are reasonable. Don't assume you know what "the right thing" is. Never tell on yourself. He will finish his classes in Summer School and his new view on confessing in front of strangers, even accidentally, will keep him out of trouble in the future.

One more time. He was expelled. That means he was kicked out of school forever, and unless something new has come out, he will not be able to complete his education ever.

You are terribly misinformed. You really should stop saying that.

CaféAuLait;7176501 said:

It has been pointed out a number of times in this thread that you are completely incorrect.

"Expulsion" does NOT mean that you can "never" go back to school.

It might mean that he can never go back to that school, it might mean that he can go back to that school in 1 year.

He has not lost his right to a public education by being expelled. He might have to go to a designated school for problem students, or just to the school one town over. Either way, he'll get his diploma.

If the lad is smart enough to be an Eagle Scout he should be smart enough to not forget his gun was in the truck.

Even Eagle Scouts can make mistakes and forget shit once in a while.

It looks like if he had just SHUT UP about it, he'd have been fine.

The decision to punish him at all is fucking dumb, or so it would appear.

Gun Free Schools Act.
In 2002, Congress passed the Gun Free Schools
Act, which states that any state receiving federal education money must
have a law in effect requiring local
school districts to expel from school
for a period of not less than one year a student who is determined to have
brought a firearm to a school, or to have possessed a firearm at a school.
The law allows for modification of the expulsion requirement for a
student on a case-by-case basis if such modification is in writing.
-- http://law.duke.edu/sites/default/f...cipline-downloads-discipline_manuscript_1.pdf

Footnote 16 refers to: 20 U.S.C. 7151.

You think he will be "Fine" when having his graduation held up by a year and this arrest on his record?

What year? He was EXPELLED, not suspended, EXPELLED!

That means he's been kicked out of school and can't come back, EVER!

Wrong

Are you saying he wasn't expelled, or that I don't know what expelled means?

Expulsion (education) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Expulsion, exclusion, withdrawing, or permanent exclusion refers to a permanent removal/banning of a student from a school system or university for persistently violating that institution's rules, or for a single offence of appropriate severity in extreme cases. Laws and procedures regarding expulsion vary between countries and states."

Arrests dont follow you convictions on a felony level do. And he will graduate. So yes, he will be fine as well as probably more careful with his weapons. A valuable lesson can be learned from this.....

No he won't be fine. He can never be fine. He wasn't suspended, he was expelled which means he can never finish high-school, ever. He will have to get his GED which will limit his job prospects. Plus, being charged with a felony also limits his prospects, especially if he is convicted.

The only valuable lesson to be learned from this is to keep your mouth shut and be careful about who may be spying on you.

Im not trying to be rude but you have NO IDEA what you're talking about

Feel free to tell me how I'm wrong?

Where did I say I was ok with that? How about instead of putting words in my mouth you address my question.

My take. Yes the kid broke a rule. Does he deserve to be charged with a felony?
I dont think so. Should the principal be charged? Absolutely. He/she placed a loaded weapon in the hands of students. That is negligence.
No one was put in danger by the students actions. In fact he tried to do the right thing and is being punished for it. He now has every reason to distrust authority.
And I wouldnt blame him.
Teachers are now the enemy.

Why are teachers being blamed for an administrative decision?

I guess we really dont know who overheard his telephone call.
So I'll just go with "The school system is now the enemy" Better?

What year? He was EXPELLED, not suspended, EXPELLED!

That means he's been kicked out of school and can't come back, EVER!

Wrong

Are you saying he wasn't expelled, or that I don't know what expelled means?

Expulsion (education) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Expulsion, exclusion, withdrawing, or permanent exclusion refers to a permanent removal/banning of a student from a school system or university for persistently violating that institution's rules, or for a single offence of appropriate severity in extreme cases. Laws and procedures regarding expulsion vary between countries and states."

We are saying that you don't know what "expelled" means.

I was expelled from high school during my junior year for drugs. I was transfered to a different high school 2 weeks later, and graduated the next year, with a high school diploma (not a GED).

No he won't be fine. He can never be fine. He wasn't suspended, he was expelled which means he can never finish high-school, ever. He will have to get his GED which will limit his job prospects. Plus, being charged with a felony also limits his prospects, especially if he is convicted.

The only valuable lesson to be learned from this is to keep your mouth shut and be careful about who may be spying on you.

Im not trying to be rude but you have NO IDEA what you're talking about

Feel free to tell me how I'm wrong?

I already did.

Forum List

Back