Elementary school shooting

Better question is, what are you willing to give up to stop them? Gun control is not going to stop them, Connecticut already requires a permit to purchase a handgun, yet this guy had two of them.

he didn't live in connecticut he lived in hoboken, nj.

and maybe that means there should be real criteria for obtaining a license... like psychological testing...

it's harder to get a drivers license than a gun license.

OMG........let the k00k analysis begin...........and we're all going to hear alot more nutty-ass stuff on gun laws in the following days. Nothing more than nonsense.

We need to put two cops in every single school in America tomorrow. Period. Whateve the cost. We spend billions on BS like solar power and government agencies that have their thumbs up their asses...........beyond k00k. You can never stop a person who snaps.......but sure as hell you can reduce the damage with some common sense. If ONE single life is saved through preventing these massacres, it is money well spent. We need to knock off the Disney chatter and apply some plain old common sense in an effort to prevent these kinds of unthinkable nightmares.

quiet loon, grown ups are talking.

Can we delay the gun control argument for another day please? Should we not grieve for those who were lost today and their families? Can we not support in any possible way the traumatized kids who survived? Pray for all of them if you want to, and give thanks if your kids or parents or loved ones come home tonight.

Satans evil never sleeps just like the gun grabbers will use anything to push their agenda. So I will not back off.
Bless the Children that were murdered in a gun free zone.

and maybe that means there should be real criteria for obtaining a license... like psychological testing...

We don't have an amendment that says right to drive a car.

just because there is an amendment doesn't make a 'right' absolute. heller was a terrible decision. breyer's dissent is much more on target. that said, even the right to free speech is subject to reasonable time, place and manner restrictions... commercial speech is subject to controls..

the 4th amendment has restrictions to the warrant requirement.. and there are reasonable circumstances absent a warrant when someone can be searched.

i'm certainly not asserting any type of ban. but i don't think the answer to gun violence is more guns. and honestly, i'm not sure we can ever address the real problem... which is the childishness of certain pro gun types... as if it's a toy and not a weapon. they actually like the idea of the wild west where in their minds they get to shoot the bad guys.

Glad to hear your opinion, Jillian.
Just like everybody else, they all have their opinion.
No more weight with your than theirs.

Better question is, what are you willing to give up to stop them? Gun control is not going to stop them, Connecticut already requires a permit to purchase a handgun, yet this guy had two of them.

It is not easy to get a concealed carry weapon permit. Are saying not allow gun ownership at all without a CCW permit?
It's easy enough. In Florida you just have to take a safety course and not have certain criminal records.

Alright Lefties....let's get this over with:

This shooting is caused by the Right Winger Gun happy culture that has an obsession with guns and wanting to have access to all kinds of powerful weapons regardless of who you are, your criminal background or mental state.

We need to have stricter gun laws that take guns out of the hands of everyone except law enforcement and military personnel so we can prevent tragedies like this in the future.

There. We now return to the thread in progress.

27 killed including himself. How many shots were fired? Certainly a bolt action hunting rifle, a six shot revolver or even a pump action shotgun could not hold enough ammunition to wreck so much carnage. He must have used an assault rifle to kill so many.

Shouldn't such weapons belong in a "well regulated militia" and not on the streets or in an elementary school?

What you are failing to understand is that axes, hammers, baseball bats, cars, knives, ropes, screwdrivers etc etc all serve a useful purpose other than to kill something.

Guns are used to kill and serve no other purpose.
the Countries with the most stringent gun control laws violent crimes are higher then in the US.
Link?
Here are some interesting data. Note that gun crimes decreased in states that allowed conceal carry and increased in areas where there were bans on handguns.

dc.png

chicago-full.png

chicago_handguns-full.png

florida-full.png

texas.png

michigan.png

Gun Control - Just Facts

just because there is an amendment doesn't make a 'right' absolute. heller was a terrible decision. breyer's dissent is much more on target. that said, even the right to free speech is subject to reasonable time, place and manner restrictions... commercial speech is subject to controls..
I know you're a Liberal, but there are times here when you show your true Authoritarian Leanings.

27 killed including himself. How many shots were fired? Certainly a bolt action hunting rifle, a six shot revolver or even a pump action shotgun could not hold enough ammunition to wreck so much carnage. He must have used an assault rifle to kill so many.

Shouldn't such weapons belong in a "well regulated militia" and not on the streets or in an elementary school?

Six shot revolver? ever heard of speed loaders for revolvers?

Shouldn't such weapons belong in a "well regulated militia" and not on the streets or in an elementary school
Maybe you should ask the murderer why he did that?

the 4th amendment has restrictions to the warrant requirement.. and there are reasonable circumstances absent a warrant when someone can be searched.

i'm certainly not asserting any type of ban. but i don't think the answer to gun violence is more guns. and honestly, i'm not sure we can ever address the real problem... which is the childishness of certain pro gun types... as if it's a toy and not a weapon. they actually like the idea of the wild west where in their minds they get to shoot the bad guys.
I'm sure most of us are thankful that you'll never be a justice.

Your a lawyer?
REMIND me what the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringe means.

If you can carry it, you should be able to own it.

And why not? The US Gov't does. In fact they use our Tax Money to pay for those weapons and ship them to Mexico or use them in Undeclared Wars in the Middle East but there's never the same amount of rage from gun-grabbers when the Military and the Gov't commit even worse atrocities.

Why shouldn't we be able to own many of the same things?

Crazy killer with a gun is when the shooter knows most have a gun and fires anyways. An angry coward does what we saw today.

You're talking about human (or inhuman) nature. That's never going to change. People are always going to kill each other.

Enabling them by providing the tools is the problem, imo.

I kind of hate engaging in this type of discussion so soon after the tragedy, but do we ban axes, hammers, baseball bats, cars, knives, ropes, screwdrivers, etc etc.... ?
All of the listed have been used to kill.
In fact baseball bats are the most popular murder weapon out there.

This is a tragic situation, but we can't act emotionally and pass more dumb laws.

What you are failing to understand is that axes, hammers, baseball bats, cars, knives, ropes, screwdrivers etc etc all serve a useful purpose other than to kill something.

Guns are used to kill and serve no other purpose.
Bullshit. I've been shooting since I was a teen. I never killed a thing, unless you think clay pigeons are alive. :rolleyes:

And, I totally enjoyed killing those clay pigeons.

Your a lawyer?
REMIND me what the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringe means.

you understand half the court disagreed with heller, right?

Six shot revolver? ever heard of speed loaders for revolvers?

Shouldn't such weapons belong in a "well regulated militia" and not on the streets or in an elementary school
Maybe you should ask the murderer why he did that?
Without weaponry of this kind, his toll would never hve climbed beyond a handful. It's high capacity magazines and automatic weaponry that has no place, no defendable, logical, reasonable place in our society. Such weapons should be in the hands of "WELL REGULATED MILITIAS" not in the hands of the public.

There is no justification for such weapons other than to fulfill the purient yens of Rambo wannabes and potential mass murders. Neither of those two groups deserve respect or the right to hold such weapons.

No defense can be made to hold such weapons as they have one and only one legitimate design use: to kill as many people as quickly as possible. They are a blight on our society and the sooner we all realize the truth about these weapons, the sooner we can get about the important work of ridding our streets of them now and forever.

When the Founding Fathers protected our right to free speech, I think that meant we were supposed to use it. ~ Jillian's sig

Using your second amendment right is apparently NOT to be excerised however.

If you can carry it, you should be able to own it.

And why not? The US Gov't does. In fact they use our Tax Money to pay for those weapons and ship them to Mexico or use them in Undeclared Wars in the Middle East but there's never the same amount of rage from gun-grabbers when the Military and the Gov't commit even worse atrocities.

Why shouldn't we be able to own many of the same things?
Bazookas? RPGs? Nuclear warheads? Abrams M-1 A-1 tanks? There is a sensible line that has been obliterated by the gun lobby. Automatic weapons, weapons with high capacity magazines have no legitimate use other than in war. Such weapons have no real reason to be other than weapons of war. They should be banned and outlawed and destroyed when confiscated. And that work needs to begin now.

Forum List

Back