English Language Requirement for Store Front Signs in Predominately Asian Community

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Here's an interesting issue that should be bipartisan as well - fancy that.

Near to where I live is a small suburb of Los Angeles called Monterey Park. MP is 67% Asian, and growing all the time in Asian population.

Several years ago, MP passed a city ordinance requiring some words in the "English language" to appear on the front of every shop. The idea was - well, I'm not sure what the idea was. I think the hidden agenda idea was a reluctance to have MP taken over by the Asian population, but the expressed idea was public safety, i.e., if an emergency vehicle is directed to a location that happens to be a store or a business of some kind, they need to know how to find it and if they don't speak Chinese, they might have a problem.

This issue has come up once again when the MP City Council, afraid that their ordinance, as worded, might violate Constitutional provisions, is proposing to re-word the ordinance to require "modern Latin letters" on storefront signs, rather than actual words in English. Some council members are opposed to even this, and want to do away with the requirement of English-related words or letters entirely.

Monterey Park sign ordinance debate recalls '80s ethnic controversy - latimes.com

It's an interesting issue. What's your take on it?

Last edited:
1. i doubt it has anything to do with ".............................". a sign does not stop asians from settling in that part of town.

2. the requirement should be perfectly constitutional, if there is a rational basis for the government needing an english sign. if not, then the requirement should be tossed. perhaps the local government could enforce a english requirement, yet, still allow them to have their own language sign. that makes more sense than banning a foreign language from a sign.

Last edited:
Take a trip to Japan. All highway signs have the locations and distances written in "romaji", which is the English pronunciation and number system. They do this as a service to foreign visitors.

I see no issue with signs being printed in any languages that the business owner or municipality sees fit to print.

Here is something for your enjoyment.

Engrish.com

Since we no longer promote assimilation and are now promoting division, fuck it.

political correctness at it's highest idiocy

signs should have English in order to understand what is written there , duh

All signs should be in English. Those who don't know English should learn it and assimilate.

Take a trip to Japan. All highway signs have the locations and distances written in "romaji", which is the English pronunciation and number system. They do this as a service to foreign visitors.[/url]
Uh... not really. They use Romaji on signs because it's:

A: Aesthetically pleasing.
B: Roman Alphabet can be seen from Greater Distances than Kanji.

I just got back from a trip to Little Chinatown in NY yesterday. All the businesses had signs in Chinese but it seemed most of them ALSO had a sign in English (although smaller) advertising their services. Little Italy was the same way.

The only business I saw with only signs in Chinese was a shipping company that apparently ONLY does business with China.

I fail to see how the English ordinance is unconstitutional. The safety argument does make sense. If an ambulance or something is called and they can't read the signs I can see the issue.

and Monterey should have audio signs for those who either can't read or are blind.
Get with it the spirit Monterey.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4vg2uOR3fk]Jefferson Airplane - We Can Be Together - YouTube[/ame]

The same thing happened in an Asian enclave in New York. It isn't a service for non asians. Its so emergency workers, police, firefighters and ambulances can locate the emergency.

Since the change in signage is primarily for their benefit, why make them change ? If they don't want emergency workers to find them, so what. Screw 'em.

Hypothetical.

If an inexpensive and 100% reliable and safe brain implant that allowed you to understand any language......and automatcally translated your spoke English into any other language became available......would you opt to have the implant?

Take a trip to Japan. All highway signs have the locations and distances written in "romaji", which is the English pronunciation and number system. They do this as a service to foreign visitors.[/url]

I just got back from a trip to Little Chinatown in NY yesterday. All the businesses had signs in Chinese but it seemed most of them ALSO had a sign in English (although smaller) advertising their services. Little Italy was the same way.

The only business I saw with only signs in Chinese was a shipping company that apparently ONLY does business with China.

What? Aesthetically pleasing? Are you insane? Easier to read? Are you crazy?

Where did you get that info?

Note. THEY USE BOTH

Fuck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jap...nm8wS1zoDADw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672
P

Last edited:
political correctness at it's highest idiocy

signs should have English in order to understand what is written there , duh

So they're going to be forced to use a certain language? Geez, everyone is over in another thread complaining about a (false) story where Seattle want to force people to use or not use certain words,

certain language. I'm surprised those same people aren't complaining about this.

Since we no longer promote assimilation and are now promoting division, fuck it.

Irish, Italian, Polish etc...assimilation is pretty easy. (Lose the accent. Done)

Japanese, Indian, Chinese, hell blacks....not so much. (Lose the color? Cant.)

Its so easy sometimes not being a minority, isnt it [MENTION=34298]Mac1958[/MENTION]

The same thing happened in an Asian enclave in New York. It isn't a service for non asians. Its so emergency workers, police, firefighters and ambulances can locate the emergency.

Since the change in signage is primarily for their benefit, why make them change ? If they don't want emergency workers to find them, so what. Screw 'em.
Funny you should mention that. When I was walking through Little Chinatown there was this Ambulance loading up some old Asian woman who had taken a fall. They had no problem finding her BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE WAVING AND POINTING TO THE GROUP OF PEOPLE HELPING HER!

That's how it usually happens you know.

The signs should be dual language, with the English version being at least 33% by area for reasons of emergency services, etc. This will also provide a handy way for the immigrants to learn some English words, seeing them side by side with their native words. Although most immigrants can speak English perfectly fine.

And they say the right are not compassionate or caring for anything not righty...

What? Aesthetically pleasing? Are you insane? Easier to read? Are you crazy?

Where did you get that info?

Note. THEY USE BOTH

Fuck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jap...nm8wS1zoDADw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=672
P

your mad? why?

Irish, Italian, Polish etc...assimilation is pretty easy. (Lose the accent. Done)

Japanese, Indian, Chinese, hell blacks....not so much. (Lose the color? Cant.)

Its so easy sometimes not being a minority, isnt it [MENTION=34298]Mac1958[/MENTION]

Generations of immigrants assimilated and did wonderfully in America.

Now suddenly it's too hard.

I have far more faith in people than you do.

Forum List

Back