Erasing Southern Pride: U.S. Army War College Removing Confederate Generals Portraits

Status
Not open for further replies.
You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about.

War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it… Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make.

You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors.
You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war.

In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with.
At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

-William T. Sherman, at the outset of the war.

Turns out he was right.

Wow, the hysterian goddess got one right. Wonders never end!

[

OH dear god you got your reference from uncle towns cabin didn't you?
The woman who wrote that propaganda never had been to the south.

The guy who wrote 12 Years as a Slave was, though.

Are you denying there was systematic rape of the slaves? The fact that African Americans have such a wide variety in skin tones would seem to put the lie to that.

Are you denying that children were sold off as property, families broken up, and so on?

What happened in the South was something we need to be deeply ashamed of. The fact that some people fought to perpetuate it is even a greater shame.

Jefferson Davis and his cronies need to be villified like Hitler and his Cronies were.

American hero.

My Grand mother spoke of her hatred for Sherman many times when she was a live.

As she had every right to do.

Personally, from the perspective of a US citizen of our times, I see that Sherman did what he had to do to bind the South to the union for the foreseeable future. He visited the same forms of kindness to the Plains Amerindians later.

I wonder how many union generals would fight today to keep the union in take as it stands today?

Personally, from the perspective of a US citizen of our times, I see that Sherman did what he had to do to bind the South to the union for the foreseeable future. He visited the same forms of kindness to the Plains Amerindians later.

I wonder how many union generals would fight today to keep the union in take as it stands today?

Are you kidding? Grant, Sherman, Sheridan and Lincoln himself would say that we were insane to have a black man in the White House.

They were men of their times, and would have a great many objections based purely on the culture of their times, but they would also have a goodly number of objective concerns about the constitutionality of our current government. But they were men who lived before the creation of the federal reserve, though they may have eventually seen it happen, they were out of the public arena by then.

Are you kidding? Grant, Sherman, Sheridan and Lincoln himself would say that we were insane to have a black man in the White House.

They were men of their times, and would have a great many objections based purely on the culture of their times, but they would also have a goodly number of objective concerns about the constitutionality of our current government. But they were men who lived before the creation of the federal reserve, though they may have eventually seen it happen, they were out of the public arena by then.

I'm not addressing the race issue. Yes I agree they would not fight for a black man. But would they fight to preserve the union that has the over bearing federal government that we have now?

I'm not addressing the race issue. Yes I agree they would not fight for a black man. But would they fight to preserve the union that has the over bearing federal government that we have now?

I don't know, because those guys kicked off the Federalis Ubar Alles kind of government we have now in the Reconstruction era. But maybe the sheer scope of what has happened might have caused them to cry for repentance? I don't know?

The whole pearl-clutching hissy-fit premise of this thread was just your typical yellow journalism from the Moonie Times cult crowd, but it does exemplify how connies get their shackles up and soil their butternut britches when the conservative news feeds them fodder.

And they lap it up hungrily, like good little connies.

Manufacturing a Controversy | Student of the American Civil War

Army War College Community Banner

"CARLISLE — No less than seven images depicting Confederate Army Gen. Robert E. Lee line the corridors of the U.S. Army War College’s Root Hall.

"Images of the Civil War dominate the building’s decorative motif, with the Battle of Gettysburg tacked up beside glimpses of Operation Iraqi Freedom and World War II. Some pieces on the wall are gifts from previous graduating classes, while others come from the imaginations of local artists enamored with the region’s rich military history.

"But all of these paintings, says Deputy Commandant Col. David Funk, remain part of the Army’s legacy and will hang on the walls of Root Hall for years to come, despite a Washington Times article claiming the contrary."
U.S. Army War College says removal of Confederate art was 'taken out of context'

Another attack on White History as well as American history. Fox News is reporting the US Army War College is considering removing portraits of Confederate Generals. An unidentified administrator is wondering why we honor these Americans.

Please, call or write to the US Army War College to voice why these portraits are a part of American History and should be preserved (be kind and considerate and just voice your concern).

US Army War College considers removing prints depicting Robert E. Lee, Confederate generals | Fox News

This is merely another example of political correctness to the extreme.

There are many black Americans who have honorably and and are still serving in the US Army. Colin Powell comes to mind. Perhaps some of them have been offended by seeing the protraits of Confederate Generals.

We must not offend an Army Officer who is being trained to wage war on our enemies.

Bullshit. Southerners were trained under the portraits of Grant and Sherman for decades; had they no right to not be offended? Of course not, they needed to grow thicker skins if they had a problem and learn from Sherman and Grant as much as they could anyway.

Your view is the PC extreme, not McGarrett's.

I forgot this.

We must not offend an Army Officer who is being trained to wage war on our enemies. (sarcasm)

The whole pearl-clutching hissy-fit premise of this thread was just your typical yellow journalism from the Moonie Times cult crowd, but it does exemplify how connies get their shackles up and soil their butternut britches when the conservative news feeds them fodder.

"CARLISLE — No less than seven images depicting Confederate Army Gen. Robert E. Lee line the corridors of the U.S. Army War College’s Root Hall.

"Images of the Civil War dominate the building’s decorative motif, with the Battle of Gettysburg tacked up beside glimpses of Operation Iraqi Freedom and World War II. Some pieces on the wall are gifts from previous graduating classes, while others come from the imaginations of local artists enamored with the region’s rich military history.

"But all of these paintings, says Deputy Commandant Col. David Funk, remain part of the Army’s legacy and will hang on the walls of Root Hall for years to come, despite a Washington Times article claiming the contrary."
U.S. Army War College says removal of Confederate art was 'taken out of context'

Ah, back to your neoMarxist, broiler plate, copy paste clap trap, miss goddess of hystery.

fuck off you miserable ****

There are many black Americans who have honorably and and are still serving in the US Army. Colin Powell comes to mind. Perhaps some of them have been offended by seeing the protraits of Confederate Generals.

We must not offend an Army Officer who is being trained to wage war on our enemies.

Bullshit. Southerners were trained under the portraits of Grant and Sherman for decades; had they no right to not be offended? Of course not, they needed to grow thicker skins if they had a problem and learn from Sherman and Grant as much as they could anyway.

I forgot this.

We must not offend an Army Officer who is being trained to wage war on our enemies. (sarcasm)

Forgot what? Hell you posted it.

Ah, back to your neoMarxist, broiler plate, copy paste clap trap, miss goddess of hystery.

fuck off you miserable ****
^ The "Christian" Pride of the South.

Another attack on White History as well as American history. Fox News is reporting the US Army War College is considering removing portraits of Confederate Generals. An unidentified administrator is wondering why we honor these Americans.

Please, call or write to the US Army War College to voice why these portraits are a part of American History and should be preserved (be kind and considerate and just voice your concern).

US Army War College considers removing prints depicting Robert E. Lee, Confederate generals | Fox News

Southerners got their asses kicked so they could not have been trained very well.

[

OH dear god you got your reference from uncle towns cabin didn't you?
The woman who wrote that propaganda never had been to the south.

The guy who wrote 12 Years as a Slave was, though.

Are you denying there was systematic rape of the slaves? The fact that African Americans have such a wide variety in skin tones would seem to put the lie to that.

Are you denying that children were sold off as property, families broken up, and so on?

What happened in the South was something we need to be deeply ashamed of. The fact that some people fought to perpetuate it is even a greater shame.

Jefferson Davis and his cronies need to be villified like Hitler and his Cronies were.

I think what you are missing is that some southerners wish to return to that lifestyle. Why else would you wage a war and generations later still have people wishing the south would return to "glory"?

All of them

Lee was an empty suit (remember Gettysburg), Jackson was a bigot, and Grant was nothing but a politician. The most brilliant stratigist and morally superior general was an Irish immigrant who came up through the ranks based on his results rather than rely on a West Point diploma. If the South had listened to him, they'd have won the war.

Gen_Patrick_Cleburne_sm.jpg

Those are such stupid lies you are obviously trolling, which is about all that libtards are good for these days anyway.

Lee was a very good, if not great, strategist; Jackson more often than not was the tactical master of his part of the battlefield; and Grant was the only general to destroy an opposing army in the Civil War and he did it twice.

No one has ever said blacks did not fight on the side of the South. A few did among the 2,000,000 Southerners who picked up weapons in treason against their nation.

?Corner Stone? Speech | Teaching American History

The vice-president of the CSA said clearly that slavery was the primary cause of the war and that the assumption of the equality of races was error.

But not to be tedious in enumerating the numerous changes for the better, allow me to allude to one other though last, not least. The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the “rock upon which the old Union would split.” He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted. The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old constitution, were that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally, and politically. It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with, but the general opinion of the men of that day was that, somehow or other in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away. This idea, though not incorporated in the constitution, was the prevailing idea at that time. The constitution, it is true, secured every essential guarantee to the institution while it should last, and hence no argument can be justly urged against the constitutional guarantees thus secured, because of the common sentiment of the day. Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the government built upon it fell when the “storm came and the wind blew.”
I've already told him this I don't know how many times now. There were a few who did fight...something like a few hundred. Maybe as much as 500. Tops/ BigReb here thinks in was upwards of 80,000. lol

There is no getting through illogic like that.

He calls himself a "historian" but what he does is play dress-up and perpetuate falsehoods in a confederate uniform with a head too tiny for his dime-store grays parading around as a "bigreb" at Lost Cause graveyards and messageboards.

Yes, plenty of slaves served in the CW. They served as teamsters, cooks. laborers, personal body servants, etc as slaves. Not as armed soldiers.

He needs to let this nugget to sink in:

It was illegal for blacks, slave and free, to own a gun in all the confederate states.

Were there some? Yes. But not man, not many at all.

His bullsheet about the Mexican/Texas war and rev war is just a way to divert, distract and play monkey games so he can jump all around blazing history in some roller coaster history of time and a way to *squirrel!!* look over there/

He also keeps riffing on the "black Confederate soldiers" as a way to assuage guilt over a war that was fought to own human beings to imagine those same human beings, not allowed citizenship or representation, would fight to the death to remain enslaved.

Still waiting internet historian
While you're at it why don't you address this?
Are you going to run away again?
Blacks fighting for the south?
blacks fighting for the republic of Texas war with Mexico non slave holding country
Blacks fighting for the colonies war with England promised slaves they would be granted freedom if they fought for the crown

And those confederate Black POWS why imprison them if they are considered slaves, teamsters, cooks musicians? Why didn't them classify them as contraband.

You said it was illegal for black to own guns, but then you contradict yourself? It either is illegal or it wasn't illegal.

1st-louisiana-native-guard.jpg

The Louisiana Native Guard were Mulatto Creole and Free persons of color. The nature of Louisiana having been both a French and Spanish colony before the Louisiana Purchase made for very wealthy Creoles and freed blacks (many who were slave owners themselves) who had all of the best Mississippi River adjacent farm land before US expansion. They were educated, they were sophisticated, they were landowners, and many were slave owners. In any case, I don't believe the Native Guard actually saw combat. However, comparing the Native Guard to other racially non-white Confederates is like comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:

All of them

Every one of the Union generals and probably half of the southern generals.

Yes, I doubt they would fight for a nation that has health insurance

I've already told him this I don't know how many times now. There were a few who did fight...something like a few hundred. Maybe as much as 500. Tops/ BigReb here thinks in was upwards of 80,000. lol

There is no getting through illogic like that.

He calls himself a "historian" but what he does is play dress-up and perpetuate falsehoods in a confederate uniform with a head too tiny for his dime-store grays parading around as a "bigreb" at Lost Cause graveyards and messageboards.

Yes, plenty of slaves served in the CW. They served as teamsters, cooks. laborers, personal body servants, etc as slaves. Not as armed soldiers.

He needs to let this nugget to sink in:

It was illegal for blacks, slave and free, to own a gun in all the confederate states.

Were there some? Yes. But not man, not many at all.

His bullsheet about the Mexican/Texas war and rev war is just a way to divert, distract and play monkey games so he can jump all around blazing history in some roller coaster history of time and a way to *squirrel!!* look over there/

He also keeps riffing on the "black Confederate soldiers" as a way to assuage guilt over a war that was fought to own human beings to imagine those same human beings, not allowed citizenship or representation, would fight to the death to remain enslaved.

Still waiting internet historian
While you're at it why don't you address this?
Are you going to run away again?
Blacks fighting for the south?
blacks fighting for the republic of Texas war with Mexico non slave holding country
Blacks fighting for the colonies war with England promised slaves they would be granted freedom if they fought for the crown

And those confederate Black POWS why imprison them if they are considered slaves, teamsters, cooks musicians? Why didn't them classify them as contraband.

You said it was illegal for black to own guns, but then you contradict yourself? It either is illegal or it wasn't illegal.

1st-louisiana-native-guard.jpg

The Louisiana Native Guard were Mulatto Creole and Free persons of color. The nature of Louisiana having been both a French and Spanish colony before the Louisiana Purchase made for very wealthy Creoles and freed blacks (many who were slave owners themselves) who had all of the best Mississippi River adjacent farm land before US expansion. They were educated, they were sophisticated, they were landowners, and many were slave owners. In any case, I don't believe the Native Guard actually saw combat. However, comparing the Native Guard to other racially non-white Confederates is like comparing apples to oranges.

The picture is a hack job in case you missed my posts earlier. The men pictured are actually union soldiers and that photo was taken in Philly. They now sale this photo to propagandists who swear that Blacks loved slavery and fought to defend it. In short they don't even have visual proof the Native Guard even existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back