Even if emissions stop, carbon dioxide could warm Earth for centuries

The fact is that climate change (global warming) has been observed on at least four other planets in our solar system as well as on larger moons. But the fact that the change is not uniform throughout the solar system simply illustrates that 1) climate change is inevitable and ongoing and 2) while we can speculate and know a lot about climate change, there is more that we still have to learn than what we know.

An interesting scientific essay on that subject, most particularly focused on solar influence, is linked below and suggests that both the AGW warmers and the skeptics should exercise caution before being dogmatic about anything:

The relevant point is that the Sun-climate link proposed by scientists skeptical of global warming claims is indirect and involves mechanisms particular to the Earth system. The fact that we have not observed large changes in total solar irradiance, or large climate shifts on other planets, does nothing to refute the claim that the Sun-Earth climate link is significant. At the same time, some and perhaps even all of the extraterrestrial climate shifts are from mechanisms with no bearing on the Earth's climate. This boils down to the fact that we don't fully understand climate change, either here or elsewhere in the solar system. Those that claim we do (and particularly that we can concentrate on a single mechanism for climate change on Earth) are seriously wrong from a scientific perspective.
Global warming on other planets?
The sun is 99.5% of all the mass in the solar system. As it changes, everything changes.

The point being made, is that the difference is the cause of Earth's atmosphere, not the sun, so it is reasonable to be concerned if it is being anthropogenicly changed.

What's causing the global warming on the other planets? Whale farts? SUV's in Space? What is the one constant that's out there that affects the whole solar system....what could that be:eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says

Global Warming Detected on Triton

http://www.diviner.ucla.edu/docs/2650.pdf

Global Warming on Pluto Puzzles Scientists | Space.com

Easy to see that you misunderstand the very warming that you deny. How can you postulate a process is occurring on far reaching planets, while you deny it here?

But regardless, perhaps you confuse weather with climate. Taking pictures of Mars on 2 different days does not reveal a trend. It only show the weather on 2 different days.

A triton year is 164 earth years. Whatever weather is happening there can only be described as seasonal.

Wouldn't every planet in our solar system be warming, if exposed to the same sun? How do you explain the ones that are not?

Where did I ever say I denied anything? My only argument is cause. You see, unlike oreo boy, I AM a geologist, I study cause and effect (you should look that up sometime) that's the difference between science and religion. Your side has been arguing that faith is all that's needed to support their arguments. Faith in their high priests (you call them climatologists), faith in their scripture (you call it AGW theory), and faith in the almighty (you call her Gaia), and no where is any measurement required.

Science is about measurement and observation.

You religious science deniers have nothing like that. You have only faith. That's why you resort to propaganda and personal attacks.

Last edited:
What's causing the global warming on the other planets? Whale farts? SUV's in Space? What is the one constant that's out there that affects the whole solar system....what could that be:eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says

Global Warming Detected on Triton

http://www.diviner.ucla.edu/docs/2650.pdf

Global Warming on Pluto Puzzles Scientists | Space.com

Easy to see that you misunderstand the very warming that you deny. How can you postulate a process is occurring on far reaching planets, while you deny it here?

But regardless, perhaps you confuse weather with climate. Taking pictures of Mars on 2 different days does not reveal a trend. It only show the weather on 2 different days.

A triton year is 164 earth years. Whatever weather is happening there can only be described as seasonal.

Wouldn't every planet in our solar system be warming, if exposed to the same sun? How do you explain the ones that are not?

Where did I ever say I denied anything? My only argument is cause. You see, onlike oreo boy I AM a geologist, I study cause and effect (you should look that up sometime) that's the difference between science and religion. Your side has been arguing that faith is all that's needed to support their arguments. Faith in their high priests (you call them climatologists), faith in their scripture (you call it AGW theory), and faith in the almighty (you call her Gaia), and no where is any measurement required.

You religious science deniers have nothing like that. You have only faith. That's why you resort to propaganda and personal attacks.

I pray you are correct in your assessment. But are you prepared for the events, in case you are not?

The AGW church members and their faith continue with no real scientific data to back up their claims, they have a better chance of proving the existence of God than AGW.

CO2 does not drive climate and it never has.

Where did I ever say I denied anything? My only argument is cause. You see, onlike oreo boy I AM a geologist, I study cause and effect (you should look that up sometime) that's the difference between science and religion. Your side has been arguing that faith is all that's needed to support their arguments. Faith in their high priests (you call them climatologists), faith in their scripture (you call it AGW theory), and faith in the almighty (you call her Gaia), and no where is any measurement required.

I pray you are correct in your assessment. But are you prepared for the events, in case you are not?

Of course. Aren't you? More to the point... all evidence we have says that a warmer world is better than a cold one. I dare you to look up the historical record and look at what was going on in Europe and China during the Medieval Warm Period (which was 2.3-2.7 degrees C warmer where I live than the present temp is) and pay particular attention to the explosion in culture. All obtainable because agriculture was doing leaps and bounds better than it had been in the previous cold period.

Everything about AGW "theory" ignores factual data. The only way they can make their statements is by ignoring actual historical data.

The AGW church members and their faith continue with no real scientific data to back up their claims, they have a better chance of proving the existence of God than AGW.

CO2 does not drive climate and it never has.

If you believe there is a Church of AGW, which there is not, then you should be aware of the reality, Dr Roy Spenser's Church of Intelligent Design, here rockin' out to "I Want to Mock Al Gore All Night"

EcoFreako: The Al Gore Tribute Band « Roy Spencer, PhD

I took organizational psychology in college. So she's probably as idiotic as the instructor I had for that course. Hey, you want to make personal attacks against me and then you bring your wife into it - she becomes fare game, asshole.
Actually, no, she doesn't. Your butthurt is not sufficient justification to break the rules.

So sue me, Dave.
Why? Are you afraid of lawyers? I'm not.

So, how's the butthurt coming along? Will Obamacare cover it as a pre-existing condition?

Of course. Aren't you? More to the point... all evidence we have says that a warmer world is better than a cold one. I dare you to look up the historical record and look at what was going on in Europe and China during the Medieval Warm Period (which was 2.3-2.7 degrees C warmer where I live than the present temp is) and pay particular attention to the explosion in culture. All obtainable because agriculture was doing leaps and bounds better than it had been in the previous cold period.

Everything about AGW "theory" ignores factual data. The only way they can make their statements is by ignoring actual historical data.

If we were at the stage of an unoccupied planet, your argument might have relevance, but we're not. We're starting with a civilized planet crowded with people and their infrastructure. All of that was based on the climate that we've chosen to leave behind. How much will humanity and infrastructure have to change to adapt to a new climate?

Depends on how much we choose to change it.

Really how much charge will happen with solar, wind, wave and possibly fusion? One could put 5 kw of solar on their roofs with storage batteries 5 years from now = do everything they're do now.

-10,000 of people not dying every year
-less medical expense
-Not have to dig into the ground and build massive pipelines.

Civilization will have a lot of spare money to use for other things ;)

Really how much charge will happen with solar, wind, wave and possibly fusion? One could put 5 kw of solar on their roofs with storage batteries 5 years from now = do everything they're do now.

-less medical expense

Some day people will laugh at how much we paid for energy that's free all around us.

We just need to get from here to there.

-less medical expense

Some day people will laugh at how much we paid for energy that's free all around us.

We'll really jump aboard as soon as you invent it and appeal to our desires in selling it to us.

No better way to get from here to there than that.

-less medical expense

We'll really jump aboard as soon as you invent it and appeal to our desires in selling it to us.

That's underway now. Part is developing the sustainable products and part is the timing of fossil fuels inevitable march up the cost curve and part is predicting, or experiencing the extreme weather impact of AGW.

If we do nothing until sustainable energy is an economic imperative we will have missed the boat on profiting from the necessary changes. The biggest project ever undertaken by mankind.

If, instead, we play our cards wisely, we'll not only avoid the worst of the problems but harvest the most opportunity.

That's underway now. Part is developing the sustainable products and part is the timing of fossil fuels inevitable march up the cost curve and part is predicting, or experiencing the extreme weather impact of AGW.

If we do nothing until sustainable energy is an economic imperative we will have missed the boat on profiting from the necessary changes. The biggest project ever undertaken by mankind.

If, instead, we play our cards wisely, we'll not only avoid the worst of the problems but harvest the most opportunity.
No, it's not underway now.

All that is underway are a relative few companies looking for a pile of government R&D grants, to try and produce something that may or may not pan out.

If any of your pipe dreams stood a snowball's chance, you'd have relatively little trouble attracting private R&D money. But they play their cards wisely.

All that is underway are a relative few companies looking for a pile of government R&D grants, to try and produce something that may or may not pan out.

If any of your pipe dreams stood a snowball's chance, you'd have relatively little trouble attracting private R&D money. But they play their cards wisely.

Actually, it is underway now. There is little trouble attracting private money.

The government role is well beyond the capability of any company. The big picture. How all of the pieces done by corporations integrate into a functional whole. What technologies are maturing at the right rate and which need pushing and encouraging.

The government role is well beyond the capability of any company. The big picture. How all of the pieces done by corporations integrate into a functional whole. What technologies are maturing at the right rate and which need pushing and encouraging.
If the technologies were worth pushing and encouraging, there would be no need for government money.

Face it, either you guys have no seriously viably marketable product or you seriously stink at marketing. Or both.

The government role is well beyond the capability of any company.
The government role is well beyond any semblance of continuation of perpetuating its madness of do-all, be-all, and end-all everything at taxpayer's expense by the few criminals in Congress who insist on overextending OTHER PEOPLE'S debt. When they leave as multi-billionaires, they can move out of the country and get off scot-free, while our children have to scramble through life paying for all the money they charged to the people for their extravagant pet rock projects. It's just wrong and it's not fitting to strangle the future because Nancy Pelosi is a spendthrift idiot.

Last edited:

If the technologies were worth pushing and encouraging, there would be no need for government money.

Face it, either you guys have no seriously viably marketable product or you seriously stink at marketing. Or both.

Here's an example of how sustainable energy is attracting private money.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qwRYtiSbbVg&desktop_uri=/watch?v=qwRYtiSbbVg

Apparently you are not aware of the wind and solar plants going up all over?

Forum List

Back