EVs to be used by DoD during power outages and...

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
EVs: less gas, less pollution, saves money, returns power to the grid and-----and keeps your house warm, your beer cold, and the lights on when the power goes off. win-win,win-win,win-win...

Electric Cars Used As Emergency Power: DoD Begins Tests

Antony Ingram
Jan 24, 2013

Picture the scene: There's a power cut. It goes dark. Your TV, refrigerator and computer all shut down. How long will it last? Who knows?

Power outages are normally brief affairs, but in disasters like 2012's Superstorm Sandy, people could be left without power for days.

A potential solution, increasingly coming to light, is that of using electric vehicles as a backup energy source. And now, the Department of Defense is taking the idea seriously too.

The DoD's interest is twofold, explains the Federal Times.
Firstly, the department is looking to cut money, and electric vehicles are looking more tempting than ever for vehicles which only ever run around Army and Air Force bases.

However, not all vehicles are running all the time, and many may sit unused for periods of time. Here, the DoD can potentially save even more money, as power from the vehicles can be returned to the grid, generating a little extra revenue.

<snip>

What happens when you get to the 36 mile limit of the stupid cars and you can't get a charge? Battery technology isn't ready for the Defense Dept.

What happens when you get to the 36 mile limit of the stupid cars and you can't get a charge? Battery technology isn't ready for the Defense Dept.

Not ready?
A bunch-o-Japanese jerry-rigged their car's batteries to supply energy to their homes after the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster then-----then the car companies had an aha moment and Nissan Leaf...
24 hours?-----suh-weet!

A new jolt for electric cars?

March 8, 2013
Craig Rucker

Electric cars are known to save on gas, but can they also be used to power electrical appliances during a blackout? Well strange as that may sound, that is precisely what electric car owners living in Japan did with their vehicles when the infamous earthquake and tsunami rocked their country a couple of years ago. Of course, the resourcefulness of these electric car owners was not lost on Mitsubishi and Nissan motor engineers, who are looking at expanding the 100 watt discharge capacity of their present vehicles to allow them to increase their output to a hefty 1,500 watts of electrical juice. With this new capability, electric car salesmen hope to expand their market to campers, outdoorsmen and other folks who might look at their car beyond just its usefulness in driving.

Not ready?
A bunch-o-Japanese jerry-rigged their car's batteries to supply energy to their homes after the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster then-----then the car companies had an aha moment and Nissan Leaf...
24 hours?-----suh-weet!

March 8, 2013
Craig Rucker

Electric cars are known to save on gas, but can they also be used to power electrical appliances during a blackout? Well strange as that may sound, that is precisely what electric car owners living in Japan did with their vehicles when the infamous earthquake and tsunami rocked their country a couple of years ago. Of course, the resourcefulness of these electric car owners was not lost on Mitsubishi and Nissan motor engineers, who are looking at expanding the 100 watt discharge capacity of their present vehicles to allow them to increase their output to a hefty 1,500 watts of electrical juice. With this new capability, electric car salesmen hope to expand their market to campers, outdoorsmen and other folks who might look at their car beyond just its usefulness in driving.

"hefty 1500 watts"...I`m almost killing myself laughing here while I was sipping my coffee.
You can`t even turn on a hotplate on a kitchen stove or push the "on" button of a so called 1000 watt microwave oven with that and the power inverter will beep out. The problem with microwave ovens is that the 1000 watts is just a "name plate rating". They all use a ~ 2000 awtt magnetron and just modulate the pulse width so that the RMS watts come out at 1000 or 1500 watts. Any power inverter responds to the PEAK watts.
How would I know?
1.) I`m an engineer
2.) I got a system just like that set up in my house.
But it`s set up to automatically power up my emergency lighting and not to hard crash my PC`s and all the other stuff that would come back blinking 12:00 till you reset everything or cut off my wireless house-phones in the middle of a call.
Then I shut off the main breaker so that my generator does not go supernova when the power comes back on and after that I go and crank up my 6500 watt genset to power up my house.

You need a minimum of 5 to 6 KVA to run a house else you fry your inverter if somebody opens a hot water faucet and your 2000 watt water heaters call for power or if your wife runs the toaster while the lights are on. God forbid you have a septic tank and a septic pump and somebody flushes the toilet.
Go ahead and try it...but you don`t have to buy an electric car.
All it takes is a 2500 watt power inverter for ~ $125 and 3 deep cycle 12 volt batteries for about $60 each.
Don`t even bother trying a "hefty 1500" watt inverter.
That`s not even enough for a small RV. Would you not want to keep the TV going to see what they say on your local news channel about the power failure while your wife is making a cup of coffee with the lights on?
Bt.w. the average American pick up truck has an 100 amp alternator. With that you can run a 1200 watt inverter at full load for several days while the engine idles and if you hook up a 3000 watt inverter you car battery absorbs the heavier load for almost a whole hour before the voltage drops below the inverter`s operating range.
And if you keep a cople 5 gallon gas cans you can have power even if it takes a whole month for the power grid to be fixed...like in NYC for example.
I got 3 and rotate them through my vehicle gas needs so that I got fresh gas on hand when it counts.
It`s not easy to start up a genset with a tank full of 5 year old gas at 30 below!
How would you recharge your EV battery when it ran out of juice?
Have your wife peddle an exercise machine with a bicycle dynamo?
My deep cycle batteries are always fully charged and ready to be used with the solar panels on my roof. But I would not want to rely on that crap during a cold winter night with over a foot of snow on my roof. When I start up my generator it`s also got a high amp 12 VDC quick charge/engine booster and it will recharge my batteries no matter what.
Hey I can even keep the whole house warm because I installed a heat exchanger on the 8 foot exhaust pipe and it blows the hot air into the furnace ducting.
Wanna see it ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Not ready?
24 hours?-----suh-weet!

March 8, 2013
Craig Rucker

All my sympathy goes out to the Japanese for their suffering in the earthquake but everybody knows you can't boil a pot of rice with car battery energy.

Not ready?
24 hours?-----suh-weet!

March 8, 2013
Craig Rucker

"hefty 1500 watts"...I`m almost killing myself laughing here while I was sipping my coffee.
You can`t even turn on a hotplate on a kitchen stove or push the "on" button of a so called 1000 watt microwave oven with that and the power inverter will beep out. The problem with microwave ovens is that the 1000 watts is just a "name plate rating". They all use a ~ 2000 awtt magnetron and just modulate the pulse width so that the RMS watts come out at 1000 or 1500 watts. Any power inverter responds to the PEAK watts.
How would I know?
1.) I`m an engineer
2.) I got a system just like that set up in my house.
But it`s set up to automatically power up my emergency lighting and not to hard crash my PC`s and all the other stuff that would come back blinking 12:00 till you reset everything or cut off my wireless house-phones in the middle of a call.
Then I shut off the main breaker so that my generator does not go supernova when the power comes back on and after that I go and crank up my 6500 watt genset to power up my house.

You need a minimum of 5 to 6 KVA to run a house else you fry your inverter if somebody opens a hot water faucet and your 2000 watt water heaters call for power or if your wife runs the toaster while the lights are on. God forbid you have a septic tank and a septic pump and somebody flushes the toilet.
Go ahead and try it...but you don`t have to buy an electric car.
All it takes is a 2500 watt power inverter for ~ $125 and 3 deep cycle 12 volt batteries for about $60 each.
Don`t even bother trying a "hefty 1500" watt inverter.
That`s not even enough for a small RV. Would you not want to keep the TV going to see what they say on your local news channel about the power failure while your wife is making a cup of coffee with the lights on?
Bt.w. the average American pick up truck has an 100 amp alternator. With that you can run a 1200 watt inverter at full load for several days while the engine idles and if you hook up a 3000 watt inverter you car battery absorbs the heavier load for almost a whole hour before the voltage drops below the inverter`s operating range.
And if you keep a cople 5 gallon gas cans you can have power even if it takes a whole month for the power grid to be fixed...like in NYC for example.
I got 3 and rotate them through my vehicle gas needs so that I got fresh gas on hand when it counts.
It`s not easy to start up a genset with a tank full of 5 year old gas at 30 below!
How would you recharge your EV battery when it ran out of juice?
Have your wife peddle an exercise machine with a bicycle dynamo?
My deep cycle batteries are always fully charged and ready to be used with the solar panels on my roof. But I would not want to rely on that crap during a cold winter night with over a foot of snow on my roof. When I start up my generator it`s also got a high amp 12 VDC quick charge/engine booster and it will recharge my batteries no matter what.
Hey I can even keep the whole house warm because I installed a heat exchanger on the 8 foot exhaust pipe and it blows the hot air into the furnace ducting.
Wanna see it ?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bbDxOCpatA&list=UUvj7dbOY14kt_MFIR1Y1iwA&index=55"]Sturmangriff.wmv - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAFPXvHTVE&list=UUvj7dbOY14kt_MFIR1Y1iwA&index=40"]Diesel Power Pow wow - YouTube[/ame]

You can call yourself an engineer if you want to, heck, you can park your ass in a hangar and call yourself an airplane--if you want to, but-----but unless you produce your credentials, you're just an anonymous message boarder claiming the engineers at Nissan are lying to us about V2H batteries not only being possible but are already good for about a 24 hour period...

...Nissan says that the 24 kilowatt-hours of electricity stored in a Leaf's battery could power a typical home for about 24 hours without the homeowners even trying to conserve power. And the special charging station used for V2H can handle enough load to run household appliances such as the refrigerator, microwave, water heater, hair dryer and clothes dryer at the same time.

As usual with far left guys, they never factor costs into their manner of thinking FTL. To the majority of people though, it matters.

The Nissan Leaf starts at about 30K......your basic car with no frills. Its a two door SPECK and slow as molasses. For at least 5K less you can get a Subaru WRX.......AWD......300HP......sick handling.......loaded. For the SAME price, you can get a Mustang GT......420HP.......has an exhaust.....etc.....etc........

Which car will a huge majority of American buyers purchase?

Hint...........( not the 2 door SPECK with 40 horsepower and YUGO interior. )

Like I always say.........and its fucking fascinating on some level..........far left people never consider two important questions when discussing ANYTHING:

1) COST

2) AS COMPARED TO WHAT?

In the real world though, a huge majority of people DO ask those questions.

Which is also why far lefties are fringe!!!!:up::up::up:

And who would drive this ugly POS anyway????

NissanLeaf1.jpg
[/IMG]

Somebody with issues, thats who!!! Somebody who gets off on driving a 2 door box and liking to be able to say, "Look at me............I care more about the envronment than you!!!!

:fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu::fu:

Last edited:
Shit you can buy a whole house generator that runs on propane or diesel for way less than an electric car.

Like I always say.........and its fucking fascinating on some level..........far left people never consider two important questions when discussing ANYTHING:

1) COST

2) AS COMPARED TO WHAT?

Another Republican jealous and confused that - most lefties earn more money than they do and can afford to, and understand how to - invest to save.
With just a little research you would have realized... ...DoD to test using electric cars as power source

Jan. 23, 2013
ANDY MEDICI

The Defense Department is testing a novel idea: pressing electric cars, when they are not being driven, into service as batteries to power lamps and TVs.

The idea is to regulate the vehicles’ power usage more carefully and return unused power in the vehicles to the civilian grid.

For Pentagon officials, this translates into dollar signs.
Katherine Hammack, assistant secretary of the Army for installations, energy and environment, said some DoD projections show the revenue from utility companies for the returned power could completely offset the vehicles’ costs.

“It could mean we get the vehicles at no cost, which — if we are able to — would change the industry and would certainly help the American public,” Hammack said.

<snip>

Harold Sanborn, the research and development program manager for the Army Corps of Engineers and the technical lead for the Smart Power and Infrastructure Demonstration for Energy Reliability and Security project, said electric vehicles can be used to help extend the time Fort Carson can remain independent of the grid.

Every election, roughly half the population votes Democrat, and the other half votes Republican. Now I understand why the Republicans get 1% of the vote. The richest 1%. That other 49%? Someone will have to explain to me."

1) COST

2) AS COMPARED TO WHAT?

Another Republican jealous and confused that - most lefties earn more money than they do and can afford to, and understand how to - invest to save.
With just a little research you would have realized... ...DoD to test using electric cars as power source

Jan. 23, 2013
ANDY MEDICI

The Defense Department is testing a novel idea: pressing electric cars, when they are not being driven, into service as batteries to power lamps and TVs.

The idea is to regulate the vehicles&#8217; power usage more carefully and return unused power in the vehicles to the civilian grid.

For Pentagon officials, this translates into dollar signs.
Katherine Hammack, assistant secretary of the Army for installations, energy and environment, said some DoD projections show the revenue from utility companies for the returned power could completely offset the vehicles&#8217; costs.

&#8220;It could mean we get the vehicles at no cost, which &#8212; if we are able to &#8212; would change the industry and would certainly help the American public,&#8221; Hammack said.

<snip>

Harold Sanborn, the research and development program manager for the Army Corps of Engineers and the technical lead for the Smart Power and Infrastructure Demonstration for Energy Reliability and Security project, said electric vehicles can be used to help extend the time Fort Carson can remain independent of the grid.

Every election, roughly half the population votes Democrat, and the other half votes Republican. Now I understand why the Republicans get 1% of the vote. The richest 1%. That other 49%? Someone will have to explain to me."

You have no idea what they are talking about !!!
...in that article where you got that from..
All it takes is paste your "insight" into Google and there is the source + all the idiot blogs that quoted it...including YOU.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Every base has what`s called a U.P.S. "Un interrupt able Power Supply"
They look like this:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhlhj-_7Rrc"]UPS Failure - YouTube[/ame]

And this is how they work:
The main power grid runs a (typical 100 hp 3 phase) electric motor which has a huge flywheel and drives a generator which runs all the equipment we have on base that must be on at all times..like Communications, Surveillance, etc...the Lithium batteries in the HUGE BATTERY room that you can see in the video are on stand by mode...none of that stuff is ever connected directly to the main grid.
In the event of a power failure the fly wheel effect of the UPS generator is enough to bridge the time gap when all these Lithium batteries snap in to keep the motor/generator module spinning in the rpm and torque band...because we can not even afford 1 single microsecond of non-nominal power for the equipment that is hooked up to the UPS.
That stuff handles more information per second than you and your "well informed" liberal idiots do with your PC`s in 100 years Googling for the kind of crap you just posted!

The idea is to use whatever EV`s are on base to connect their batteries to the Lithium battery bank to increase the capacity in the event the failure outlasts the on-site Lithium battery bank capacity.
Not as you believed that DOD "is testing a novel idea: pressing electric cars, when they are not being driven, into service as batteries to power lamps and TVs."
For your information...it was my job to service and repair military UPS installations from where you live all the way up to Thule/Greenland and CFS Alert Ellesmere Island. We can`t afford a 1 millisecond power drop while we up or down link to the satellite that dumps every thing it has captured or gets programmed what to do on the next orbit....or send/receive submarine VLF flashes. All that stuff runs on UPS + Lithium Batteries and before they go down we use big CAT Diesel Generators to keep that UPS motor/Genset spinning.
And that`s not so that we can watch TV...

DOD "is testing a novel idea: pressing electric cars, when they are not being driven, into service as batteries to power lamps and TVs."
Incredible how stupid you green freaks can be

Just as dumb as the current White House administration:
http://www.spiegel.de/auto/aktuell/...ousine-in-israel-falsch-betankt-a-890184.html
image-475920-breitwandaufmacher-ugtq.jpg

Obama`s beast had a hickup
His Cadillac is called "The beast" in diplomatic circles...it`s bullet proof and has every security device built in that you could think of. Including it`s own Oxygen supply. When Obama arrived in Israel with his entourage they filled up his diesel powered "beast" with gasoline and had to fly in a second backup "beast" from the US.
So why doesn`t he drive an electric beast?
The only mileage that limo ever clocks is from the airport to the reception area and back.
After he got his second diesel guzzler he finally made it to the reception and dug a hole in Shimon Peres` garden to plant a tree without checking with any body. It had to be removed again because Israel quarantines imported live plants just like the US does also.
That just goes to show what kind of bumbling idiots (presidential advisers ?) are in the White House Administration these days.
If I were an Israeli I`ld be worried too if a "President" like that guarantees to help out with my country`s security...his Administration can`t even secure his own embassies abroad or the car he is sitting in.
"Der Spiegel" also mentions in the same article that Obama`s entourage screwed another "beast" up during Obama`s visit to Ireland. They got that one stuck on a speed bump.
as batteries to power lamps and TVs.
I can`t even drink a cup of coffee while I `m reading this...because I can`t stop laughing

Last edited:

Forum List

Back