Exactly what law did the IRS break by scrutinizing Tea Party wackos?

The vt that the OP asked this question establishes the Redneck Liberals doing every they can to try to protect their Dear Leader. :eusa_whistle:

In speaking to the original question... is it possible that the Administration's IRS Folk did not break the LETTER of various law(s) but that they broke the SPIRIT of such law(s)? - in effect: finding a weasel-way to undertake partisan harassment operations while remaining (barely) within the confines of the law?

If true, that might not be a LEGAL breach, but it is an ETHICAL and MORAL breach, which many folks view as equally or even more serious, and which speaks volumes about the character of those engaging in it.

From reading news accounts, I can find no mention of any laws the IRS violated when they put Tea Party wackos under extra scrutiny.

Anybody know?

Abuse of power and independence from political manipulation. Possibly its time for you to review the shenanigans of one Richard Nixon's White House.
But then again possibly its a question of the end justifies the means which you apparently subscribe to?

Your blatantly partisan topic title says it all.

The IRS targeted conservative groups. The IRS did not apply EQUAL scrutiny to left wing groups.

I thought you Obama-zombies were all about "equality"?

how does it violate the 14th amendment?

It violates the Equal Protection Clause.

[ame=http://youtu.be/s8dM0ATHHzA]Judge Napolitano: IRS Targeting Tea Party Groups Violates Equal Protection Clause Of Constitution - YouTube[/ame]

Supreme Court Upholds Arizona's Racial Profiling Law
https://www.commondreams.org/headline/2012/06/25-1

What the IRS did had nothing to do with race. But don't let silly facts get in your way.

From reading news accounts, I can find no mention of any laws the IRS violated when they put Tea Party wackos under extra scrutiny.

Anybody know?

The IRS is not allowed to engage in partisan politics or use any consideration other than the tax law as a basis for any action it takes. singling out conservative groups for special attention is clearly against the rules. It also demanded answers to a lot of questions that had nothing to do with the party's tax liability.

Anybody know?

The IRS is not allowed to engage in partisan politics or use any consideration other than the tax law as a basis for any action it takes. singling out conservative groups for special attention is clearly against the rules. It also demanded answers to a lot of questions that had nothing to do with the party's tax liability.

Why? It has been for many years.

Anybody know?

The 14th Amendment would be a start.

That, and the 1st Amendment, and the 4th Amendment....

Let's be clear here, guy.

Not giving you something, no questions asked, is not oppressing you.

These groups asked for a special exemption from paying their taxes. The IRS asked questions about whether they really merited that exemption.

Not seeing the crime here.

Anybody know?

I don't think it violates the 14th amendment for the IRS to put extra scrutiny on a group that is openly anti-tax. Seems like that's their job.

That would be like saying the FBI violates the 14th amendment when they investigate KKK members who openly threaten to lynch black people.

Under no circumstances will the Internal Revenue Service tolerate discrimination by its employees, grantees, contractors, and/or subcontractors. NO ONE shall be excluded from participating in, be denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination because of: race, color, sex, national origin, disability, reprisal, or age in programs or activities funded by the Department of Treasury - Internal Revenue Service

They singled out certain groups that's against the law.
Also they violated the IRS 501 (c)
Protection of non public personal information.
Sec. 6801
(b)
(3)
(3) to protect against unauthorized access to or use of such records or information which could result in substantial harm or inconvenience to any customer.

They were asking for all their members personal communications of their e-mails and Facebook conversations.
That's against the law for IRS to have any of that information.

The IRS didn't discrimminate on the basis of sex, race, national origins, age, or activities funded by the Department of Treasury.

I haven't read any news accounts that say the IRS was asking for emails or Facebook conversations. Do you have a source?

I have read that they wanted a list of private donors. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Anybody know?

I don't think it violates the 14th amendment for the IRS to put extra scrutiny on a group that is openly anti-tax. Seems like that's their job.

That would be like saying the FBI violates the 14th amendment when they investigate KKK members who openly threaten to lynch black people.

The violation stems from the fact that they are targeting conservative groups exclusively. That violates the equal protection clause. Judge Napolitano explained it very well.

Thee KKK was involved in criminal activity. None of the groups the IRS investigated were under criminal investigation.

Your comparison fails, big time!

Last edited:
Under no circumstances will the Internal Revenue Service tolerate discrimination by its employees, grantees, contractors, and/or subcontractors. NO ONE shall be excluded from participating in, be denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination because of: race, color, sex, national origin, disability, reprisal, or age in programs or activities funded by the Department of Treasury - Internal Revenue Service

Sec. 6801
(b)
(3)
(3) to protect against unauthorized access to or use of such records or information which could result in substantial harm or inconvenience to any customer.

They were asking for all their members personal communications of their e-mails and Facebook conversations.

The IRS didn't discrimminate on the basis of sex, race, national origins, age, or activities funded by the Department of Treasury.

I haven't read any news accounts that say the IRS was asking for emails or Facebook conversations. Do you have a source?

I have read that they wanted a list of private donors. I don't see what's wrong with that.

You don't see what's wrong about seeing a private donors list?

What part of "private" is confusing?

Sec. 6801
(b)
(3)

The IRS wants YOU ? to share everything - David Nather and Tarini Parti and Byron Tau - POLITICO.com

The violation stems from the fact that they are targeting conservative groups exclusively. That violates the equal protection clause. Judge Napolitano explained it very well.

Thee KKK was involved in criminal activity. None of the groups the IRS investigated were under criminal investigation.

But it is the Tea party groups who are anti-tax. They would be more likely to cheat on tax matters. My comparison doesn't fail at all.

I'm going to answer my own question here because I finally read something on a media outlet (a USA Today article).

The IRS employees are possibly guilty of violating the Hatch Act. Hatch Act of 1939 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The penalty pretty much amounts to getting fired and a small fine. Whipty doo.

Shows this so-called scandal is wildly overblown.

But it is the Tea party groups who are anti-tax. They would be more likely to cheat on tax matters. My comparison doesn't fail at all.

Who likes paying taxes?

The fact is these groups were seeking tax exempt status for their non-profits. And because their name is linked to conservative ideology they are being targeted for unprecedented scrutiny.

Most of these groups have been waiting three years for their tax exempt status, that's two elections cycles. Compare that to Abonga Malik Obama who's application was expedited and retroacted for two years. And other liberal organizations was given the same treatment.

Evidence is mounting that the Internal Revenue Service gave far better treatment to left-wing groups than those on the right, with data showing the agency approved dozens of liberal and progressive organizations as tax-exempt while leaving conservative groups hanging.

No tea party applications were approved in a 27-month period beginning February 2010. But numerous applications from liberal and progressive groups were given tax-exempt status during the same period, USA Today reported.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com Report: IRS Rushed Through Obama Charity Tax Exemptions
Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

Sec. 6801
(b)
(3)

The IRS wants YOU ? to share everything - David Nather and Tarini Parti and Byron Tau - POLITICO.com

Asking for printouts of Facebook posts is going too far.

But I see nothing wrong with asking for lists of private donors.

The public has a right to know who is giving money to the groups that buy advertisement and influence elections.

All these groups, not just tea-baggers, should have to disclose donor lists.

I ask this question to you and Lone-star logic.

Is it really a Civil Right to be allowed to form a "tax exempt social welfare" group?

I don't think so. That's why I'm not buying this violation of Civil Rights hysteria.

For once the right wingers get the shaft, and there's a big media freakout when they do this sort of thing all the time.

Forum List

Back