Explain to us Libs, what is a living wage?

I have told you on numerous occassion what the solution is. PROBLEM: A person is not making enough to provide for their needs and needs welfare. MY SOLUTION: Do something that does or works you toward making enough to live on.

You're never going to end all welfare JRK. There are always going to be people that leigitimately need government assistance and there's always going to be a group of people who let someone else take care of them if allowed.

Our way is not a preference for high taxes and low wages. You keep saying that and that is why I call you dishonest. Applying a postion to a someone that they don't actually have is the equivalent of arguing against a shadow. We can cut taxes a ton. Government simply has to decided that it's going to reign itself in. Nothing can be off the table as far as cuts, including defense. The defense budger could be cut in HALF and we could do just as good a job defending the country. We have to stop talking about cutting the budgets of departements and start cutting out entire departments.

Bern there are just so many jobs in this country that pay more than 25,000 a year
I keep telling you somone has to take the garbage out and you keep ignoring that fact

Your lib side just showed it self with the cutting in defense spending. The constitution is very clear about defending this country
any-way we are getting further apart. I guess what your saying is cut everything and cut some things totally out

in 2007 we needed 163 billion dollars eliminated to have a balanced budget. That is a hint as to where the real peoblem is
It is with Obama at the trillion dollar level.

And you think the solution for trillion dollar deficits is raising the minimum wage? I suggest we get rid of Obama and those in Congress who have run up those trillion dollar deficits. They sure as hell didn't spend all that money or even more than a tiny fraction of it on folks earning less than $11/hour.

No, this is why I use the 2007 budget. Obama going away will fix much of our problem. I guess my in ability to write confused you when I stated that right above your response

Is that clear enough?

Cutting 150 billion in corproate taxes would in return cut that much at least from the debt by ones wage being above that level in which they would be allowed to collect wellfare/medicare/medicade

My goal with this plan would be to eliminate 2.00 for every dollar invested. how much money would the federal govt save by removing 10 million people from those programs?
How much money would be collected by those 10 million people now paying taxes?
every action has a reaction

for every 100.00 saved per person would equal 1 billion in savings

Let me make something clear here
I am not applying for a job
If any of you have an issue with the text messages you read from people who have huge hands like I do and are at the same time day trading stocks, then ignore them.
This is a place to discuss the issue we face as a country, not attacking those who you feel need help with there hands that are the size of a jubliee watermelon
And no I am not fat either.

We aren't trying to make fun of you. The simple fact is some of your sentences are constructed so poorly that it isn't possible to understand the message you're sending. It isn't even about disagreeing with you at that point. I can't disagree with what you're saying if I can't even tell what you're saying in the first place.

Then go away, ignore me and have a good life

Problem is he is not far behind them. There comes a time in which one has to agree to dis agree
He reached that with me a week ago. I have asked him countless times what would he do different
Still waiting

But he is not near as bad as that thread your response was too

Again, with all due respect......you are either willfully ignorant or just plain stupid. You have had it spelled out to you by Bern, Fox and myself repeatedly in clear, concise and coherent messages and you are acting like an insolent little child who refuses to listen. Your solution relies on the government reducing corporate taxes in order for businesses to have the extra money to for some odd reason, pay a wage that is higher than the value of a particular job. First, good luck on getting government to reduce taxes. We are in an environment right now where our government wants to heavily increase taxes across the board. Second, if the government mandates a higher wage, it is just growing the government even bigger. Forcing a company to pay a wage is not a free market solution nor conservative. Third, if companies were forced to pay a higher wage, they would either lay off people or cut there hours in addition to raiasing their prices to cover the additional cost. Now all of those folks who aren't making enough are suddenly not making enough again. I know you don't agree with that, but from a "conservative" stance, you are out numbered 3 to 1.

Perhaps it's time to just walk away or start another thread with an OP that states ALL of your thoughts instead of changing them as the thread progresses. A bit of advice, think your post out first and type it into software with a spell checker. Read it for clarity and then read it again. Read it one more time. Use good punctuation and capital letters where needed. It will go a long way to being taken serious, because your many of your posts sound like they were written by someone who English is their second language.

You do not have to take me serious bud
I do not have time to use word, copy it and paste it here
If you are thru attacking me, have a good day

This thread has had close to if not over 1000 responses. My spelling and grammer was not on trial here

Out of that whole post, all you got was an attack? Therein lies your problem. You want to talk at everybody and listen to no one. Good advice is worth it's weight in gold.

Last edited:
Bern there are just so many jobs in this country that pay more than 25,000 a year
I keep telling you somone has to take the garbage out and you keep ignoring that fact

Your lib side just showed it self with the cutting in defense spending. The constitution is very clear about defending this country
any-way we are getting further apart. I guess what your saying is cut everything and cut some things totally out

in 2007 we needed 163 billion dollars eliminated to have a balanced budget. That is a hint as to where the real peoblem is

And you think the solution for trillion dollar deficits is raising the minimum wage? I suggest we get rid of Obama and those in Congress who have run up those trillion dollar deficits. They sure as hell didn't spend all that money or even more than a tiny fraction of it on folks earning less than $11/hour.

No, this is why I use the 2007 budget. Obama going away will fix much of our problem. I guess my in ability to write confused you when I stated that right above your response

Is that clear enough?

Cutting 150 billion in corproate taxes would in return cut that much at least from the debt by ones wage being above that level in which they would be allowed to collect wellfare/medicare/medicade

My goal with this plan would be to eliminate 2.00 for every dollar invested. how much money would the federal govt save by removing 10 million people from those programs?
How much money would be collected by those 10 million people now paying taxes?
every action has a reaction

for every 100.00 saved per person would equal 1 billion in savings

Lowering business taxes will allow companies to hire better people and pay them better IF that would increase the company's bottom line, which it probably would.

What you are not understanding is that cutting taxes will not encourage business to pay existing labor more than that labor is worth to the company. Business is not in business to be social workers but to make a profit. And if government REQUIRES business to pay people more than their labor is worth, the business won't hire those people at all. Plus government will raise the threshhold for those eligible to receive welfare.

And that is what you refuse to acknowledge or understand. A government mandate to pay a 'living wage' will likely create many additional welfare recipients plus those currently receiving government benefits will likely keep doing so, but at a more prosperous level.

Again, with all due respect......you are either willfully ignorant or just plain stupid. You have had it spelled out to you by Bern, Fox and myself repeatedly in clear, concise and coherent messages and you are acting like an insolent little child who refuses to listen. Your solution relies on the government reducing corporate taxes in order for businesses to have the extra money to for some odd reason, pay a wage that is higher than the value of a particular job. First, good luck on getting government to reduce taxes. We are in an environment right now where our government wants to heavily increase taxes across the board. Second, if the government mandates a higher wage, it is just growing the government even bigger. Forcing a company to pay a wage is not a free market solution nor conservative. Third, if companies were forced to pay a higher wage, they would either lay off people or cut there hours in addition to raiasing their prices to cover the additional cost. Now all of those folks who aren't making enough are suddenly not making enough again. I know you don't agree with that, but from a "conservative" stance, you are out numbered 3 to 1.

Perhaps it's time to just walk away or start another thread with an OP that states ALL of your thoughts instead of changing them as the thread progresses. A bit of advice, think your post out first and type it into software with a spell checker. Read it for clarity and then read it again. Read it one more time. Use good punctuation and capital letters where needed. It will go a long way to being taken serious, because your many of your posts sound like they were written by someone who English is their second language.

This thread has had close to if not over 1000 responses. My spelling and grammer was not on trial here

Out of that whole post, all you got was an attack? Therein lies your problem. You want to talk at everybody and listen to no one. Good advice is worth it's weight in gold.

what part of cutting the corporate tax rate 150 billion dollars to free up enough money to raise the minimum wage to 14.00 an hour for 12.5 million people don't you understand?

What part of the wellfare issue we have in this country is due to the fact 15,000 a year is not enough money for a person to get off of that train, BUT 29,000 a year is?

What part of the consumer is paying for that either way, except the consumer will be paying for the free market to solve this issue my way? and that the consumer will be creating wealth by doing this instead of destroying it?

What part of adding 150 billion dollars to the GDP dont you get?

What part of cutting at least that much from our cost in wellafare, medicare and medicade dont you get?

I have been told it is not the govt place to mandate a living wage, Ok explain to me why did they make it there place to mandate a wage that is not a living wage ( according to them)
Why then do they take wealth from you and I to subsidize that wage? Do you uinbderstand the only people getting hurt here is you and I?

Look the real issue here is what would the local and state govt do with this? I guess this is why I know none of you really understand the issue here

Business passes all cost and profit own to the consumer, local and state govt cannot.
My spelling has at times been bad
My grammer at times has been bad
My thinking out loud and typing at the same time while watching Apple with the other eye has been bad

999 threads ago I would ask me, how can our local govt raise to that wage without rasing you local and state taxes?
Do not take this wrong, but all of you really do not understand what the reall issue's with this are and your defending people who have no part in this

People pay all taxes. People pay for well-fare. People pay for Medicade. People pay for Medicare'the only people this idea really help would be us and those poor bastard trying to make it on 15,000 a year

what part of cutting the corporate tax rate 150 billion dollars to free up enough money to raise the minimum wage to 14.00 an hour for 12.5 million people don't you understand?

What part of the wellfare issue we have in this country is due to the fact 15,000 a year is not enough money for a person to get off of that train, BUT 29,000 a year is?

What part of the consumer is paying for that either way, except the consumer will be paying for the free market to solve this issue my way? and that the consumer will be creating wealth by doing this instead of destroying it?

What part of cutting at least that much from our cost in wellafare, medicare and medicade dont you get?

I have been told it is not the govt place to mandate a living wage, Ok explain to me why did they make it there place to mandate a wage that is not a living wage ( according to them)
Why then do they take wealth from you and I to subsidize that wage? Do you uinbderstand the only people getting hurt here is you and I?

Look the real issue here is what would the local and state govt do with this? I guess this is why I know none of you really understand the issue here

Business passes all cost and profit own to the consumer, local and state govt cannot.
My thinking out loud and typing at the same time while watching Apple with the other eye has been bad

999 threads ago I would ask me, how can our local govt raise to that wage without rasing you local and state taxes?
Do not take this wrong, but all of you really do not understand what the reall issue's with this are and your defending people who have no part in this

People pay all taxes. People pay for well-fare. People pay for Medicade. People pay for Medicare'the only people this idea really help would be us and those poor bastard trying to make it on 15,000 a year
most corporations already PAY a living wage....giving them a tax break for such is a waste of money JR...the problem does not lie with corporations from my experience.

The businesses that do not, and in many cases can not pay a living wage are very small businesses.

What part of one does not cause the other do you not get? Yes it would free up money. That does not inherently increase the value of labor. It would still require your mandate. Just because they can doesn't mean they should. Providing for your basic needs is not your employers responsibility. Get that through your thick fucking skull.

We get what it takes to live on just fine (though I know your $29k a year figure is a bit high). What part of it's no one's responsibility but your own to figure out how to make that amount of money, do YOU not get?

No you won't be creating wealth. For the umpteenth time. Wealth is basically a measure of how long a person could surviive on the money they have without working. The longer you can do that the wealthier you are. Because the costs of goods and service is going to go up right along with this wage increase you are not increasing wealth. A person wont' be able to sruvive any longer on 12/hr than they were on 7/hr because how much their money can actually buy stays the same. Wage increases don't occur in vacuum. The costs of goods and services are going to go up right along with it. Again look at Australia. Most everything there costs %25-%30 more than it does here. And for the umpteenth time again, how can you be so dishonest as to claim using government to mandate what an employer must pay someone is a free market solution?

What part of that isn't what's going to happen don't you get?

If you want to change it you do it by demanding MORE of people, not less. Why does government get into a lot of things it has no business in. Usually political pressure. Just because government does something doesn't mean they should have done it.

Dude. Your area of the country isn't unique. There are all kinds of people from all over the nation heavily dependent on all kinds of social services because they don't take in enough income. It isn't some new thing that only effects the south east part of the country. You need to stop asking the wrong questions and start asking the right ones. Stop asking how government can raise peoples wages. A much more efficient question and one that will lead to better results is what can individuals do to raise their OWN wages? If the answer really were absoutely nothing for the many people that make less than a living wage I'd be inclined to maybe agree with you, but it is extremely rare that people are or have done everything they possibly can to improve their lot and still cant make ends meet. And you really aren't helping them by enabling the choices that got them where they are making less than what one can live on. It really doesn't take that much effort to get a job that pays a living wage.

Last edited:

most corporations already PAY a living wage....giving them a tax break for such is a waste of money JR...the problem does not lie with corporations from my experience.

The businesses that do not, and in many cases can not pay a living wage are very small businesses.

Now we are talking. I agree 100%
But a company that employees 40 people still pays a corporate tax, in fact usually higher than the large firms because they have less avenue for breaks and to have people who do nothing but work soley on tax issues
I actually stated this earlier. This does not change the fact that there paying a tax on there profits.

The ones it would hurt the most i the owner, 2 employee, one garbage truck company. I agree 100%
these would have to be given a larger tax break for them to survive the change I would think
But the one item every-one is leaving out is this cost would be what every-one had to charge
The way Bacon Davis does this is a minimum cost for the project

I have given this allot of thought and with a larger tax break for LLCs whose gross income for the year was under 1 million would be one solution

10% profit on one million is 100,000
cut that by 40% gives the owner enough to pay close to 4 people 6 more an hour
As is our income, make the corporate rate a progressive rate
cut his rate 60% and the larger companies 30?
Make it dollar for dollar

I have no doubt you are correct in what your saying. still it can be done and I do not see where we have a choice

What part of one does not cause the other do you not get? Yes it would free up money. That does not inherently increase the value of labor. It would still require your mandate. Just because they can doesn't mean they should. Providing for your basic needs is not your employers responsibility. Get that through your thick fucking skull.

We get what it takes to live on just fine (though I know your $29k a year figure is a bit high). What part of it's no one's responsibility but your own to figure out how to make that amount of money, do YOU not get?

No you won't be creating wealth. For the umpteenth time. Wealth is basically a measure of how long a person could surviive on the money they have without working. The longer you can do that the wealthier you are. Because the costs of goods and service is going to go up right along with this wage increase you are not increasing wealth. A person wont' be able to sruvive any longer on 12/hr than they were on 7/hr because how much their money can actually buy stays the same. Wage increases don't occur in vacuum. The costs of goods and services are going to go up right along with it. Again look at Australia. Most everything there costs %25-%30 more than it does here. And for the umpteenth time again, how can you be so dishonest as to claim using government to mandate what an employer must pay someone is a free market solution?

What part of that isn't what's going to happen don't you get?

If you want to change it you do it by demanding MORE of people, not less. Why does government get into a lot of things it has no business in. Usually political pressure. Just because government does something doesn't mean they should have done.

Dude. Your area of the country isn't unique. There are all kinds of people from all over the nation heavily dependent on all kinds of social services because they don't take in enough income. It isn't some new thing that only effects the south east part of the country. You need to stop asking the wrong questions and start asking the right ones. Stop asking how government can raise peoples wages. A much more efficient question and one that will lead to better results is what can individuals do to raise their OWN wages? If the answer really were absoutely nothing for the many people that make less than a living wage I'd be inclined to maybe agree with you, but it is extremely rare that people are or have done everything they possibly can to improve their lot and still cant make ends meet. And you really aren't helping them by enabling the choices that got them where they are making less than what one can live on. It really doesn't take that much effort to get a job that pays a living wage.

My thick fucking skull?
My thick fucking skull?
first it was I cannot spell, now its I am thick?
Bern I gave up on you along time ago. your so hung up that this issue has something to do with corporations.
There is no way to discuss this with a person who thinks that. They have no place in it. The consumer pays for it all and the only people this wage hurts is you and I
The only cause and effect it has on them is they have reached a place where they cannot compete with a company who pays a 15% rate when there paying a 25

Dude you have no issue with the govt mandating a wage that is so low we the tax payer have to kick in monies to subsidize it. Your so hung up on it your now questioning how smart I am
I have said this 20 times to your Bern. Its not changing except for our debt. Why you are so angry about this makes no sense to me, you got everything you want out of this

Bern Joes Garbage service make's a profit because of the people who get up, take care of his equipment and picks up the garbage every-day
Paying that person 8.00 an hour is a wage the federal govt set, not Joes Garbage service

Last edited:
I confess at the outset that I have not read the other 986 posts in this thread, nor am I likely to.

A living wage can only be explained in terms of the individual. Some people couldn't live on $1000/day. They are wasteful and appreciate nothing. My mother could live in a flat rock. Whatever she had, ever how little, was a living wage and then some. The supreme tragedy of her life was that she never had the opportunity to be a financier. Because she could have. My daughter is just like her. She has just come off a 2 year sting of no job and having a baby. She is a Dave Ramsey girl and coupon queen to the depth of her soul. I have never seen so much abundance as she is able to produce having gone from DINK to managing on just her husband's take home.

Good for her. I started this thread as a question. As it grew I had a response stating what Australia is doing
It changed the way I looked at this issue for ever and at the same time relaized by raising the minimum wage to lets say 13.00 an hour by cutting corporate tax rates by 40% (On the 07 budget) we could pay 20 million people that wage that was making 8 the year before and would have a balanced budget in 2007 (within 13 billion)
Thats all there is to it

less govt
more welath
less taxes for the consumer to pay
more welath for theose on the bottom to live on, taking many of them off of welfare/medicare and Medicade

Ah, but you forget that many on the bottom rung of the pay scale will always be poor because they don't know how to be otherwise. And many don't want to know how to be otherwise. Many think poverty is a virtue. :cuckoo:

I confess at the outset that I have not read the other 986 posts in this thread, nor am I likely to.

A living wage can only be explained in terms of the individual. Some people couldn't live on $1000/day. They are wasteful and appreciate nothing. My mother could live in a flat rock. Whatever she had, ever how little, was a living wage and then some. The supreme tragedy of her life was that she never had the opportunity to be a financier. Because she could have. My daughter is just like her. She has just come off a 2 year sting of no job and having a baby. She is a Dave Ramsey girl and coupon queen to the depth of her soul. I have never seen so much abundance as she is able to produce having gone from DINK to managing on just her husband's take home.

Good for her. I started this thread as a question. As it grew I had a response stating what Australia is doing
It changed the way I looked at this issue for ever and at the same time relaized by raising the minimum wage to lets say 13.00 an hour by cutting corporate tax rates by 40% (On the 07 budget) we could pay 20 million people that wage that was making 8 the year before and would have a balanced budget in 2007 (within 13 billion)
Thats all there is to it

less govt
more welath
more welath for theose on the bottom to live on, taking many of them off of welfare/medicare and Medicade

Ah, but you forget that many on the bottom rung of the pay scale will always be poor because they don't know how to be otherwise. And many don't want to know how to be otherwise. Many think poverty is a virtue. :cuckoo:

I cannot argue that. I think in the south there are million though that make 9-11 an hour just because that is all there is
I guess I have never condoned giving any-one anything. I have no been home for 22 years for more than 8 months at a time because thats what I have to do to make the money I need to make to achieve my goals. Still not there.

Poverty is a culture that needs changing, but as you say some do not want changing is a reality

My thick fucking skull?
My thick fucking skull?
first it was I cannot spell, now its I am thick?
Bern I gave up on you along time ago. your so hung up that this issue has something to do with corporations.
There is no way to discuss this with a person who thinks that. They have no place in it. The consumer pays for it all and the only people this wage hurts is you and I
The only cause and effect it has on them is they have reached a place where they cannot compete with a company who pays a 15% rate when there paying a 25

Yes, your thick fucking skull. You STILL don't get it. You don't listen. It's that simple. I, while younger than you, have the ability to evaluate whether or not a proposed solution to a problem is a) ethical and b) actually going to work. Your's won't. For someone who claims to want to solve a problem I would figure that might be something you'd want to know.

Aren't you the one that told me corporations have to be part of the solution? You are the one making about corporations and what they have to do, not me.

Dude you have no issue with the govt mandating a wage that is so low we the tax payer have to kick in monies to subsidize it. Your so hung up on it your now questioning how smart I am
I have said this 20 times to your Bern. Its not changing except for our debt. Why you are so angry about this makes no sense to me, you got everything you want out of this

The government never should have mandated such a wage in the first place. So yes I do have a problem with it. Again you aren't listening. I get the whole not liking to subsidize people on welfare. YOUR SOLUTION WILL NOT FIX THAT PROBLEM. Anyone with rudimentary understanding of basic economics knows this. How about moving on to solutions that might actually work?

Bern Joes Garbage service make's a profit because of the people who get up, take care of his equipment and picks up the garbage every-day
Paying that person 8.00 an hour is a wage the federal govt set, not Joes Garbage service

Stop making shit up. Garbage men don't make min. wage. They're paid more because it's a job most people won't do. See? Scarcity effecting the cost of labor again. Why is it so damn hard for you to accept that earning enough to live on is YOUR responsibility and no one elses?

Thats all there is to it

less govt
more welath

I cannot argue that. I think in the south there are million though that make 9-11 an hour just because that is all there is
I guess I have never condoned giving any-one anything. I have no been home for 22 years for more than 8 months at a time because thats what I have to do to make the money I need to make to achieve my goals. Still not there.

Poverty is a culture that needs changing, but as you say some do not want changing is a reality

And yet here you are. Proposing that we give these people more money for no other reason than they need it. If you expect nothing of people, which is basically what you're saying when you mandate a living wage, you will get nothing from people. There are all kinds of people for whom good enough is good enough and they will never do more if nothing more is ever required of them. You are simply exacerbating that problem by ensuring whatever menial job they get out of high school will be enough to take care of them. Not because it's what their worth, but because you essentially said their life is not their responsibility.

I have told you on numerous occassion what the solution is. PROBLEM: A person is not making enough to provide for their needs and needs welfare. MY SOLUTION: Do something that does or works you toward making enough to live on.

You're never going to end all welfare JRK. There are always going to be people that leigitimately need government assistance and there's always going to be a group of people who let someone else take care of them if allowed.

Our way is not a preference for high taxes and low wages. You keep saying that and that is why I call you dishonest. Applying a postion to a someone that they don't actually have is the equivalent of arguing against a shadow. We can cut taxes a ton. Government simply has to decided that it's going to reign itself in. Nothing can be off the table as far as cuts, including defense. The defense budger could be cut in HALF and we could do just as good a job defending the country. We have to stop talking about cutting the budgets of departements and start cutting out entire departments.

Ok...I have a deal...Let's raise the min wage to $10 and hour. Under one condition. That every federal employee except enlisted military take a 25% pay cut and they have to contribute 25% of their health insurance premiums and 25% of their pension. This includes ALL holders of federal elected office as well as Presidential appointees.
The way I see is ,accounting for federal wages and benefits, federal employees are overpaid.

STILL $11/hour, the equivalent of 1968's min wage. Do you want a diagram, Pub dupes? LOL Bring back demand...after the recovery, unfortunately....

"Bring back demand".

Funny you say that. Because you, the left wing, has praised the importation of tens of millions of ilegal aliens, aka, SURPLUS WORKERS.

In a supply and demand model, the more workers we have, the less demand employers have for labor. Thus, wages go down.

If we import workers + export jobs, we lose.

So, you lefties need to begin demanding the border be sealed, and increased deportation be continuted. That way, the supply of labor goes down, demand goes up, and wages will recover.

You in for that?

STILL $11/hour, the equivalent of 1968's min wage. Do you want a diagram, Pub dupes? LOL Bring back demand...after the recovery, unfortunately....

"Bring back demand".

Funny you say that. Because you, the left wing, has praised the importation of tens of millions of ilegal aliens, aka, SURPLUS WORKERS.

In a supply and demand model, the more workers we have, the less demand employers have for labor. Thus, wages go down.

If we import workers + export jobs, we lose.

So, you lefties need to begin demanding the border be sealed, and increased deportation be continuted. That way, the supply of labor goes down, demand goes up, and wages will recover.

You in for that?

Git 'er done!!

Forum List

Back