Eyah..Stand Your Ground..Justice is Blind..LOL

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
Except..in of course..southern states like Florida.

Just two years into a 25-year sentence, he joins a list of cases that have drawn national attention to the Sunshine State’s sentencing and gun laws. Encouraged by the activity, his family is hoping to stir up interest in his case and is currently petitioning Florida’s governor for clemency.

In the spring of 2010, 26-year-old Michael Giles was on active duty with the Unites States Air Force and stationed in Tampa. The married father of three had recently finished two tours in the Middle East and was looking forward to a career in the military, says his family. One night in February, a friend invited Giles to party at a Tallahassee nightclub. Shorty after arriving, a fight broke out among members of fraternities from nearby Florida A&M University.

According to court documents, an argument quickly escalated into a brawl involving 30 to 40 young men.

Giles reportedly was not involved in the melee but, separated from his friends, went outside to the car where he had a gun, for which he had a concealed carry permit. Giles put the weapon in his pants pocket and searched the crowd for his friends. Suddenly, he says, someone from the crowd punched him. Knocked to the ground and in fear for his life, Giles says he pulled out the gun and fired one shot into the leg of his alleged attacker.

Three men were injured, wounded by bullet fragments. Giles was immediately arrested and charged with second-degree attempted murder.

Aside from his having no criminal background, Giles’ supporters argue that he was merely defending himself from an unprovoked attack. In fact, when testifying in the case, the man who punched Giles, Courtney Thrower, admitted that the assault was random. “The first person I get to I’m going to hit,” he remembered thinking.
US airman stands his ground in Florida, sentenced to 25 years | theGrio

Personally, I think this law is a load of crap.

BUT, at the very least, apply it equally.

Just two years into a 25-year sentence, he joins a list of cases that have drawn national attention to the Sunshine State’s sentencing and gun laws. Encouraged by the activity, his family is hoping to stir up interest in his case and is currently petitioning Florida’s governor for clemency.

In the spring of 2010, 26-year-old Michael Giles was on active duty with the Unites States Air Force and stationed in Tampa. The married father of three had recently finished two tours in the Middle East and was looking forward to a career in the military, says his family. One night in February, a friend invited Giles to party at a Tallahassee nightclub. Shorty after arriving, a fight broke out among members of fraternities from nearby Florida A&M University.

According to court documents, an argument quickly escalated into a brawl involving 30 to 40 young men.

Giles reportedly was not involved in the melee but, separated from his friends, went outside to the car where he had a gun, for which he had a concealed carry permit. Giles put the weapon in his pants pocket and searched the crowd for his friends. Suddenly, he says, someone from the crowd punched him. Knocked to the ground and in fear for his life, Giles says he pulled out the gun and fired one shot into the leg of his alleged attacker.

Three men were injured, wounded by bullet fragments. Giles was immediately arrested and charged with second-degree attempted murder.

Aside from his having no criminal background, Giles’ supporters argue that he was merely defending himself from an unprovoked attack. In fact, when testifying in the case, the man who punched Giles, Courtney Thrower, admitted that the assault was random. “The first person I get to I’m going to hit,” he remembered thinking.

Here's the problem though Sallow. His attorney wouldn't let him use "stand your ground" as a defense according to the article you linked to.

Cripes. Glad this young man has a new lawyer and hopefully he gets a new trial. You get me a link for the petition, I'll sign and will pass it on. This is outrageous and surely on the basis of his lawyer's incompetent defense the young man can get a new trial.

She claims that not only do the facts of the case show that Michael was reasonably defending himself, but that his lawyer pressured him against taking the stand and evoking a “Stand-Your-Ground” defense.

I'm confused as to why this comes up time and again. Zimmerman and Dunn did not use the stand your ground defense at all.

Many, including legal commentators who should know better, repeatedly citing the statute as a crucial issue in both cases

Florida's Stand Your Ground Law Did Not Determine Either Zimmerman or Dunn Cases - ABC News

Florida's Stand Your Ground Law Did Not Determine Either Zimmerman or Dunn Cases - ABC News

I read an article where many black people have used the Stand Your Ground defense and were also given the Stand Your Ground hearing as well.

If there is any truth to this story, then I can't say the law itself is racist.

Blacks benefit from Florida ‘Stand Your Ground’

Florida blacks benefit from Florida 'Stand Your Ground' | The Daily Caller

As far as the man in your article, was he tried in a Military Court or Civilian?

Last edited:

Personally, I'm convinced that you are full of crap but yeah, this seems like a self-defense case.

CaféAuLait;8647473 said:

I'm confused as to why this comes up time and again. Zimmerman and Dunn did not use the stand your ground defense at all.

Many, including legal commentators who should know better, repeatedly citing the statute as a crucial issue in both cases

I read an article where many black people have used the Stand Your Ground defense and were also given the Stand Your Ground hearing as well.

If there is any truth to this story, then I can't say the law itself is racist.

Blacks benefit from Florida ‘Stand Your Ground’

Florida blacks benefit from Florida 'Stand Your Ground' | The Daily Caller

As far as the man in your article, was he tried in a Military Court or Civilian?

Why does it come up again and again? Because the lefties here have very little common sense.

Researching this case I came upon this article. It says he shot 3 people.

One male, Michael Giles, began shooting a handgun. Three adult males received non-life-threatening injuries. The suspect fled but was located by police officers in a nearby parking lot at 2101 West Pensacola Street.

An investigator from the Violent Crimes Unit (VCU) responded and at the conclusion of the investigation, Giles was arrested and transported to the Leon County Jail. The three victims of the gunshot wounds were transported to a local hospital.

Shots Fired at a Tallahassee Night Club

CaféAuLait;8647581 said:

One male, Michael Giles, began shooting a handgun. Three adult males received non-life-threatening injuries. The suspect fled but was located by police officers in a nearby parking lot at 2101 West Pensacola Street.

An investigator from the Violent Crimes Unit (VCU) responded and at the conclusion of the investigation, Giles was arrested and transported to the Leon County Jail. The three victims of the gunshot wounds were transported to a local hospital.

He fired one shot and after the bullet hit something hard it fragmented and the two others were hit by fragments of the bullet.

CaféAuLait;8647581 said:

Hmm...that changes things a little I think.

CaféAuLait;8647581 said:

He fired one shot and after the bullet hit something hard it fragmented and the two others were hit by fragments of the bullet.

So far I've read three stories about this case-- all pro-Giles websites. One says it was accidental and he fell and shot the man. Another says he fired in the air as a warning shot and it hit these guys and a third says "he swung around and shot his attacker in self defense. I wish the original trial was somewhere.

If he shot in self defense then he should be afforded the rights of anyone else using self defense.

Once again, the issue isn’t the merits of SYG, which is a provision of self-defense doctrine, but a failure on the part of yet another Florida resident to understand what indeed constitutes self-defense, and the use of deadly force pursuant to self-defense.

Giles was charged with the same crime as Michael Dunn, and for much the same reasons, shooting into a crowd or into a moving vehicle, the legal premise remains the same.

And arguing self-defense becomes more problematic when one seems to seek out a potentially dangerous situation, such as wading into an on-going fight, where making a claim of ‘imminent’ bodily harm or death becomes considerably more difficult.

If Giles ‘feared for his life,’ he shouldn’t have entered the brawl to begin with.

The State clearly has a case, and Giles has only himself to blame.

CaféAuLait;8647473 said:

Shhh. we can't have facts coming into this.

Once again, the issue isn’t the merits of SYG, which is a provision of self-defense doctrine, but a failure on the part of yet another Florida resident to understand what indeed constitutes self-defense, and the use of deadly force pursuant to self-defense.

Giles was charged with the same crime as Michael Dunn, and for much the same reasons, shooting into a crowd or into a moving vehicle, the legal premise remains the same.

And arguing self-defense becomes more problematic when one seems to seek out a potentially dangerous situation, such as wading into an on-going fight, where making a claim of ‘imminent’ bodily harm or death becomes considerably more difficult.

If Giles ‘feared for his life,’ he shouldn’t have entered the brawl to begin with.

In both the Dunn and Zimmerman cases, they were the aggressors.

In both the Dunn and Zimmerman cases, they were the aggressors.

So walking up to someone = aggressor? Trayvon took off and came back later on to attack. How does that make Zimmerman the aggressor? Dunn was in fact the aggressor as he shot without any threat to his life.

Forum List

Back