FAIL- Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows

Yes, they are. And if CO2 were a problem that would be a big deal. However it is not.

Yes, it is, and improving efficiency of use of fossil fuels also has many other benefits, such as making the US less dependent on foreign sources of oil and less vulnerable to shocks. It also is the sort of thing that would make dealing with countries like Russia and Saudi Arabia much easier both for the US and its allies. How different do you think the unfolding Ukrainian situation would have been if so many NATO countries weren't reliant so heavily on Russian oil?

As far as the technology goes EV's have only improved range wise 100% in 100 years. ICE vehicles on the other hand have improved over 700% and that is going up. All the while they are getting cleaner and more reliable.

Yes, the range problem is a serious one, but it isn't everything: note for example that most Americans don't travel more than 40 miles by car daily.

Also note that hybrid automatically beats ICE in this regard, since they get essentially most the benefits of both.

In Paris, where they actually have some applicability, they still don't get a tremendous amount of use simply because the majority of the people can't afford them.

Yes, affordabiltiy is a huge problem.

If they could ever get Nicola Tesla's energy broadcast system to work then EV's would instantly become THE vehicle to have as range would no longer be an issue.

The inverse square law basically rules out any such system.

But the claim that they are such a new technology is not born out by fact.

Has anyone here claimed otherwise?

The only thing different between a 100 year old EV and a Tesla, is the Tesla is much more comfortable and has twice the useful range.

And can be charged at home or at work, and can do city miles more efficiently, and has much better acceleration which is almost as good as a high-end conventional car.
The P85D Tesla S is not almost as good as any high-end conventional car, it's acceleration is better than any high end 5 passenger luxury sedan. At 3.2 0 to 60 mph, with 155 mph top end, and a quarter mile time that is in top end muscle car territory, it is one fast sedan.

Those cars will fly! And as nicely appointed and comfortable as any luxury sedan in that price range. Hard to find a car that performs like that and can comfortably seat 5 adults. I am 6'2" and was comfortable sitting the the ack seat.

Yet Obama continues to squeeze the coal miners

-Geaux'
======================================

But low oil prices are supposed to be unequivocally good? On the day when Ford lays off 700 Michigan plant workers in small cars and hybrids manufacturing, The Detroit News reports that, according to Edmunds.com, sales of electric cars and hybrids are at the lowest level since 2011. What is even more worrisome, motorists who leased those first-generation cars, and have decided not to buy them, are turning them in, leaving dealer lots full of low mileage cars at huge discounts to new ones. As Edmunds concludes, while "the government's going to keep pushing it, there is time to pause right now."

Low oil prices have not been unequivocally good for these workers... (as Detroit Free Press reports)

Ford said today that it is planning to cut a shift at its Michigan Assembly Plant where it makes the Ford Focus compact car and C-Max crossover because of declining sales of small cars, hybrids and electric vehicles.

The automaker told workers and notified the state of Michigan that it will lay off 700 workers, starting June 22. The decision affects 675 hourly workers and 25 salaried employees who make the Focus, Focus ST, Focus Electric, C-Max hybrid and C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid at the Wayne plant.

The first 200 workers will be laid off in June, another 200 at the end of July and the remainder at the end of September.

Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows Zero Hedge

Are you somehow rooting that the new technology fails?
What new technology?

Efficient electric and hybrid vehicles

Why are some so intimidated by alternative energy? Are you that tied to big oil?

Some people have run the numbers, and it (like you) is quite simple: the ROI on a hybrid is, for most people, just not there.

And hydro-electric plants put out electricity 24/7/365.

Greenies won't let them be built.

Nuclear plants do the same. And the technology for nukes is getting better, making smaller, safer plants a reality.

Not really. People hear the word "nuclear" and immediately shriek, "THE SKY IS FALLING!" While some plants have been upgraded and/or expanded, no NEW plant has broken ground in almost 40 years. (Seabrook was permitted in 1976!)

And where do you live that the sun doesn't shine in January? Most places have brighter sunshine in January, it is just at a lower angle so there is less heat.

And less energy. Not to mention, there is much less DAYLIGHT.

Also, solar panels do still work on cloudy days. They produce less (between 10% to 50% less), but they still produce electricity. And having a good battery storage makes that less important. BTW, Tesla is also working on battery systems for off-grid homes.

Do Solar Panels Work When It s Cloudy Sun Farmers

And there is even new technology that makes solar generation more efficient on cloudy days.

British scientists develop solar panels which work better on a cloudy day - Telegraph

How do they work when covered with a foot of snow?

Efficient electric and hybrid vehicles

Why are some so intimidated by alternative energy? Are you that tied to big oil?

If alternative energy is so great, then why aren't you willing to pay market prices for it?

For the first time in my life I see functional and high performance electric cars. I find it odd that anyone would be rooting for them to fail

Seems odd, don't you think?

Not off if one is paying taxes to subsidize them. If they are So Great, people who want them should buy them with Their Own Money.
Sometimes you have to prime the pump on new technology

We did it on internal combustion and look how that paid off

Um, lol Solyndra?

-Geaux

Evergreen Solar? ($33M)
Fisker? ($200M)

If alternative energy is so great, then why aren't you willing to pay market prices for it?

For the first time in my life I see functional and high performance electric cars. I find it odd that anyone would be rooting for them to fail

Seems odd, don't you think?

Not off if one is paying taxes to subsidize them. If they are So Great, people who want them should buy them with Their Own Money.
Sometimes you have to prime the pump on new technology

We did it on internal combustion and look how that paid off

Um, lol Solyndra?

-Geaux

Solyndra?

Small price to pay for emerging technology.

Then YOU invest in it, dumbass!

Ti2y_3o16-E[/MEDIA]
I want to see a electric car do two things
1. Go 250 mph
2. Go a 1,000 miles before recharging!

How's this for fast?

Not very impressive. My Caddy was running that number ten years ago. Heck...a STOCK notchback 5.0 Mustang would run that number with nothing more than drag slicks, the air silencer removed, and a good driver...25 years ago.

1. Go 250 mph

I got to take a test drive in a Tesla Model S P85D.

No, it won't go 250 mph. But then, I can't imagine where you would drive a car 250 mph.

But it will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. It doesn't accelerate, it LAUNCHES. It feels like a ride at Six Flags, but you are never out of control. It is an amazing car.

Maybe I have higher standards than most...but while a high-11 1/4 mile is fast, I'm not THAT impressed with it. (My Gremlin had it covered by almost a second, my wife's Buick has it covered by more.)

1. Go 250 mph

No, it won't go 250 mph. But then, I can't imagine where you would drive a car 250 mph.

But it will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. It doesn't accelerate, it LAUNCHES. It feels like a ride at Six Flags, but you are never out of control. It is an amazing car.
Why not do the same in a combustion engine car?
Electric emits no exhaust fumes.

Exhaust emissions of a modern car are close to (and in some cases, ACTUALLY) zero.

1. Go 250 mph

Why not do the same in a combustion engine car?

First, because I don't know many four door luxury cars that will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.
Second, because I can do that without burning a bit of fossil fuel.
Third, I can do that in a car loaded with Space Shuttle-like technology.
And lastly, I can do that and help a new American car company grow.

The Porsche Panamera is 3.1 to 3.3 seconds. The Hellcat is 2.9 seconds. (!)

The P85D Tesla S is not almost as good as any high-end conventional car, it's acceleration is better than any high end 5 passenger luxury sedan. At 3.2 0 to 60 mph, with 155 mph top end, and a quarter mile time that is in top end muscle car territory, it is one fast sedan.

How warm is the interior when it's -15 outside? How big a dent does that make in the range?

1. Go 250 mph

Maybe I have higher standards than most...but while a high-11 1/4 mile is fast, I'm not THAT impressed with it. (My Gremlin had it covered by almost a second, my wife's Buick has it covered by more.)

I don't think I quoted the 1/4 mile numbers. I simply discussed the 0-60 time. And 0-60 in 3.2 seconds is indeed impressive. Not the least of which is the lack of delay between hitting the accelerator and the car launching.

How warm is the interior when it's -15 outside? How big a dent does that make in the range?

I am sure it puts a dent in the range, much like running the a/c drops the mpg on a ICE car.

Even less delay in my Gremlin...it has an advantage that no electric can match: stored flywheel energy. Dropping the clutch at 4000RPM launched it hard enough to put daylight under the front tires. (My wife's Buick will do the same when loaded against the torque converter.)

On a modern car, the A/C causes less drag than highway driving with open windows. But the issue is this: most electrics use a heat pump. In addition to using battery power, the problem is simple: they simply do not work well in very cold temperatures! Frito-Lay had some electric delivery trucks...the drivers froze if it was below 15 degrees! Much below that, the CAB wouldn't top 32!

Even less delay in my Gremlin...it has an advantage that no electric can match: stored flywheel energy. Dropping the clutch at 4000RPM launched it hard enough to put daylight under the front tires. (My wife's Buick will do the same when loaded against the torque converter.)

On a modern car, the A/C causes less drag than highway driving with open windows. But the issue is this: most electrics use a heat pump. In addition to using battery power, the problem is simple: they simply do not work well in very cold temperatures! Frito-Lay had some electric delivery trucks...the drivers froze if it was below 15 degrees! Much below that, the CAB wouldn't top 32!

Since I don't live where we see -15 degrees, I have not looked into how the Tesla manages in those temps. I know they made some changes to improve the battery performance in colder weather.

As for the advantage with stored flywheel energy, an electric motor is all about stored energy. The Tesla does not require any rpms to get up to power. From cold "start" it runs those numbers. Your Gremlin required revving up to get that. There is no delay at all between pressing the accelerator and the engine reacting. And only one speed on the transmission, so that same acceleration happens at 0-60 or 20-80, or 40-100mph.

And daylight under the front wheels doesn't seem to be a good way to control a vehicle. I drove the Tesla and when pushed hard in "Insane" mode, it was still very much under control and easy to drive.

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! You are not paying attention! It's not the fact that the heat pump reduces range. It is the fact that the heat pump SIMPLY DOES NOT HEAT THE INTERIOR if it is much below freezing!

I have watched many videos of electric drag cars...not one managed to launch especially hard. (I'm not sure I saw any of them lift the front tires.) I KNOW that I never saw one trip the 60' clocks with the rear tires!

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! You are not paying attention! It's not the fact that the heat pump reduces range. It is the fact that the heat pump SIMPLY DOES NOT HEAT THE INTERIOR if it is much below freezing!

I have watched many videos of electric drag cars...not one managed to launch especially hard. (I'm not sure I saw any of them lift the front tires.) I KNOW that I never saw one trip the 60' clocks with the rear tires!

I am not sure why lifting the front wheels is such a desireable trait unless you are running on a drag strip.

The Tesla will likely never lift the fron wheels because of the weight of the batterys and dual engines.

I am paying attention. I simply have not seen (or looked for) info on the Tesla in sub-zero weather conditions.

Forum List

Back