FAIL- Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows

I want to see a electric car do two things
1. Go 250 mph
2. Go a 1,000 miles before recharging!

I got to take a test drive in a Tesla Model S P85D.

No, it won't go 250 mph. But then, I can't imagine where you would drive a car 250 mph.

But it will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. It doesn't accelerate, it LAUNCHES. It feels like a ride at Six Flags, but you are never out of control. It is an amazing car.
Why not do the same in a combustion engine car?

There would be no silly threads like this for the Red and Blue to play fox-hole penuckle.

1. Go 250 mph

No, it won't go 250 mph. But then, I can't imagine where you would drive a car 250 mph.

But it will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. It doesn't accelerate, it LAUNCHES. It feels like a ride at Six Flags, but you are never out of control. It is an amazing car.
Electric emits no exhaust fumes.

Except for this big honkin thing called a power plant that it gets it's electricity from. That produces loads of crap. Interestingly enough new cars emit almost no pollutants. They are that clean.

I would be willing to drive one of these electric car things, those tesla ones are sexy looking too.

Of course, they'll have to make a battery that can survive negative 50 all day/night. Good luck...

1. Go 250 mph

But it's very impractical and expensive.

Yet Obama continues to squeeze the coal miners

-Geaux'
======================================

But low oil prices are supposed to be unequivocally good? On the day when Ford lays off 700 Michigan plant workers in small cars and hybrids manufacturing, The Detroit News reports that, according to Edmunds.com, sales of electric cars and hybrids are at the lowest level since 2011. What is even more worrisome, motorists who leased those first-generation cars, and have decided not to buy them, are turning them in, leaving dealer lots full of low mileage cars at huge discounts to new ones. As Edmunds concludes, while "the government's going to keep pushing it, there is time to pause right now."

Low oil prices have not been unequivocally good for these workers... (as Detroit Free Press reports)

Ford said today that it is planning to cut a shift at its Michigan Assembly Plant where it makes the Ford Focus compact car and C-Max crossover because of declining sales of small cars, hybrids and electric vehicles.

The automaker told workers and notified the state of Michigan that it will lay off 700 workers, starting June 22. The decision affects 675 hourly workers and 25 salaried employees who make the Focus, Focus ST, Focus Electric, C-Max hybrid and C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid at the Wayne plant.

The first 200 workers will be laid off in June, another 200 at the end of July and the remainder at the end of September.

Electric Car Sales Plunge To 4 Year Lows Zero Hedge
News flash to genius! It`s the Marcellus natural gas bonanza that`s putting the squeeze on coal, not Obama.

I own a 2013 Volt, it was used and I paid under $20,000. I love the car, I like driving around town and not using gas. I can go months with local use without ever filling up. On the highway I get 45 for long trips.

I like the gas battery combo, I am not comfortable with a electric on
Y car.

That discomfort has to do with what? Something normal like wanting the gas option in case of a malfunction? Or something abnormal like your politics?

What are the current interest rates? 3%?

VENTURE DEBT is NOT 3%.

Financing terms
Venture debt lenders expect returns of 12–25% on their capital but achieve this through a combination of loan interest and equity returns. The lender is compensated for the higher rate of perceived level of risk on these loans by earning incremental returns from its equity holding in companies that are successful and achieve a trade sale or IPO.

Venture debt - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

U.S. Taxpayers provided defacto Venture Debt financing at far below market rates to Tesla.

It was a Cronyist SCAM.
Tesla turned out to be a good investment

So was GM for that matter

It did not! It turned out as a great investment for the Venture Capitalists who got to build a company with Cheap Money from the government.

Developed new technology and an outstanding car

Would you prefer it was developed in Japan or Germany? Their governments have no problem investing

Where is it in the Constitution that the role of the government is to provide venture financing?

Your line of reasoning here is fucking stupid. It hits at the core of what the government ought to be doing. Promoting the general welfare. When private industry won't invest due to lack of clear return.....and the general populace will benefit from the investment....the government needs to be the source of funds. Alternative energy.......mass transit......medical research......

You fail.....badly.

-Geaux'

But low oil prices are supposed to be unequivocally good? On the day when Ford lays off 700 Michigan plant workers in small cars and hybrids manufacturing, The Detroit News reports that, according to Edmunds.com, sales of electric cars and hybrids are at the lowest level since 2011. What is even more worrisome, motorists who leased those first-generation cars, and have decided not to buy them, are turning them in, leaving dealer lots full of low mileage cars at huge discounts to new ones. As Edmunds concludes, while "the government's going to keep pushing it, there is time to pause right now."

Low oil prices have not been unequivocally good for these workers... (as Detroit Free Press reports)

Ford said today that it is planning to cut a shift at its Michigan Assembly Plant where it makes the Ford Focus compact car and C-Max crossover because of declining sales of small cars, hybrids and electric vehicles.

The automaker told workers and notified the state of Michigan that it will lay off 700 workers, starting June 22. The decision affects 675 hourly workers and 25 salaried employees who make the Focus, Focus ST, Focus Electric, C-Max hybrid and C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid at the Wayne plant.

The first 200 workers will be laid off in June, another 200 at the end of July and the remainder at the end of September.

Yes we need more coal. Let's pollute enough till you can't ever eat fish and they glow like light bulbs.

Now I know why you're scared of guns too

-Geaux

Have you ever noticed that the same people who are for government control of...well pretty much everything are also big supporters of gun control? Makes it easier to turn people into slaves when they are disarmed.

Off topic, mod.

Gee- Figured Obama's hand was in this fail somewhere. I mean, some things are just a given

LMAO- I did mention Solyndra ^^^^ up ^^^ there somewhere.. :badgrin:

-Geaux

----------------------------
Bankruptcy now appears unavoidable, and a political reckoning is coming” writes the New York Time’s Bill Vlasic today about Fisker Motors, the Obama administration’s pet electric car company that received millions in federal loans. Vlasic described the car company as the “Solyndra of Electric car companies.”

47 depressing facts about Fisker’s epic electric car failure

47 depressing facts about Fisker s epic electric car failure WashingtonExaminer.com

1. Go 250 mph

First, because I don't know many four door luxury cars that will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.
Second, because I can do that without burning a bit of fossil fuel.
Third, I can do that in a car loaded with Space Shuttle-like technology.
And lastly, I can do that and help a new American car company grow.

1. Go 250 mph

But it's very impractical and expensive.

It is expensive, that is true. But unless you drive long distances with little or no flexibility in travel time, the Tesla is very practical.

VENTURE DEBT is NOT 3%.

Financing terms
Venture debt lenders expect returns of 12–25% on their capital but achieve this through a combination of loan interest and equity returns. The lender is compensated for the higher rate of perceived level of risk on these loans by earning incremental returns from its equity holding in companies that are successful and achieve a trade sale or IPO.

Venture debt - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

U.S. Taxpayers provided defacto Venture Debt financing at far below market rates to Tesla.

It was a Cronyist SCAM.

It did not! It turned out as a great investment for the Venture Capitalists who got to build a company with Cheap Money from the government.

Would you prefer it was developed in Japan or Germany? Their governments have no problem investing

Where is it in the Constitution that the role of the government is to provide venture financing?

Your line of reasoning here is fucking stupid. It hits at the core of what the government ought to be doing. Promoting the general welfare. When private industry won't invest due to lack of clear return.....and the general populace will benefit from the investment....the government needs to be the source of funds. Alternative energy.......mass transit......medical research......

You fail.....badly.

Hmmmm...so Promoting The General Welfare means giving Big Government cronies below market loans so they can make More Money at the expense of the taxpayers.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Moron.

You fail.....badly.

Hmmmm...so Promoting The General Welfare means giving Big Government cronies below market loans so they can make More Money at the expense of the taxpayers.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Moron.

That's exactly what I said! You rock.

-Geaux'

Until we replace existing fission reactors with fusion ones (many decades away) electric cars are getting the electricity from coal plants. So as more get such vehicles, more electricity is being demanded and existing supplies prove inadequate and more coal plants must be made (or fission-based nuclear reactors.) So the net benefit is probably nil.

Electric vehicles are hundred year old technology. If it were feasible like gasoline we wouldn't have gasoline.

-Geaux'

Until we replace existing fission reactors with fusion ones (many decades away) electric cars are getting the electricity from coal plants. So as more get such vehicles, more electricity is being demanded and existing supplies prove inadequate and more coal plants must be made (or fission-based nuclear reactors.) So the net benefit is probably nil.

Electric vehicles are hundred year old technology. If it were feasible like gasoline we wouldn't have gasoline.

Fission reactors are still a viable method for producing electricity. And modern reactors are far safer.

The basic technology is 100 years old. But there is some very modern technology along with it. And abandoning it because the technology is old is one way to guarantee no new technology. The Model T did not became the Masserati overnight.

-Geaux'

Yes we need more coal. Let's pollute enough till you can't ever eat fish and they glow like light bulbs.

Now I know why you're scared of guns too

-Geaux

Have you ever noticed that the same people who are for government control of...well pretty much everything are also big supporters of gun control? Makes it easier to turn people into slaves when they are disarmed.

Off topic, mod.

Nope. Part and parcel of the collectivist mentality. Just showing how they are linked together. Take power away from people and give it to government. One of the primary methods of government control is controlling where, and how, people can travel.

1. Go 250 mph

First, because I don't know many four door luxury cars that will do 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.
Second, because I can do that without burning a bit of fossil fuel.
Third, I can do that in a car loaded with Space Shuttle-like technology.
And lastly, I can do that and help a new American car company grow.
In the meantime, most of us will do what is pragmatic and what we can afford.

-Geaux'

So, you think that electric cars and hybrids are failing? I'm curious, if someone proposed to bet with that there will be at least 4.5 million hybrid-electric or fully electric vehicles sold in the US by 2020, would you take it? How much would you be willing to bet?

Note that the large generating systems are much more efficient than small systems. So burning coal or oil to power electric cars when the burning is happening at a large power plant releases less CO2 than the same number of cars running off of gasoline. Also, while it is true that electric vehicles are a hundred year old technology there's been a massive improvement in battery technology since then, and we have more efficient motors and generators.

Note that the large generating systems are much more efficient than small systems. So burning coal or oil to power electric cars when the burning is happening at a large power plant releases less CO2 than the same number of cars running off of gasoline. Also, while it is true that electric vehicles are a hundred year old technology there's been a massive improvement in battery technology since then, and we have more efficient motors and generators.

Yes, they are. And if CO2 were a problem that would be a big deal. However it is not. As far as the technology goes EV's have only improved range wise 100% in 100 years. ICE vehicles on the other hand have improved over 700% and that is going up. All the while they are getting cleaner and more reliable.

I would love to see EV's replace ICE vehicles I truly would but they don't have the range needed for the vast majority of people who live in this country. In Paris, where they actually have some applicability, they still don't get a tremendous amount of use simply because the majority of the people can't afford them.

If they could ever get Nicola Tesla's energy broadcast system to work then EV's would instantly become THE vehicle to have as range would no longer be an issue. But the claim that they are such a new technology is not born out by fact. They are an old tech, they are an inefficient tech. The only thing different between a 100 year old EV and a Tesla, is the Tesla is much more comfortable and has twice the useful range.

Forum List

Back