Fast Food Workers Going On Strike

You should never open a business assuming you'll have cheap slave labor. That assumption will sink you. Either do the job yourself, or hope your family members will volunteer their time to support your business. People have to survive. They have their own families to think of. If you can't pay a decent wage, you should seriously consider closing your business. There are no free rides. No one is required to be your slave.

Are you now trying to be offensive by deliberately misusing the term "slavery" like that? Do you feel the need to emulate ron paul in all aspects?

American Corporations could do better. They've attempted to go the Slave Labor route for too long. And they've been enabled by misguided people who for some reason, feel compelled to vigorously defend them at every turn. My guess is, they feel they're defending Capitalism when they do so. But i assure you, the Corporations don't need defending. They're doing well. It's the lowly worker who needs the defending.

If Businesses paid better, we would likely have less Citizens living off Government handouts. So it would benefit Taxpayers in the end. If you can't pay a worker a decent wage, you shouldn't be in business. So enough of the whining about needing Illegals to the jobs. You can't have your slaves. So it's time to get over that and move on. We should treat our fellow Americans better. We can surely do that.

If Businesses paid better, we would likely have less Citizens living off Government handouts.

If we had fewer idiotic government regulations, businesses would have more money to pay their employees.

Won't disagree with you on that. Big Brother needs to get the Hell out of the way. He's just too involved in Citizens' lives at this point. Starting your own Business is pretty rough these days. Big Brother makes it very difficult. It's not what our Founding Fathers wanted. That being said, i think there's some middle-ground on issues like this.

I don't feel the need to rush to defend large Corporations. I think that has become an all-too common knee-jerk reaction for many. They don't need the defending. They're doing fine. They can afford to pay an American a decent wage. I get a little tired of the "Boo Hoo for the Corporations' stuff. If anything, it's the lowly worker who could use the defending. They don't want to be slaves. Good for them. Businesses will just have to get over it. Pay an American a decent wage, or get out. I don't want hear the whining stuff anymore.
No one is defending big corporations though. You are arguing against a straw man here and I think that you know it. The real question is:

Do you support government mandating higher wages through increased minimum wage or some other means?

If the answer to that is yes, then the problem that everyone has is that does virtually nothing to help their wages or the workers. More government meddling is not the solution. If it is no, then you are arguing for the sake of it as most here agree with you in that respect.
I can't begrudge an America Worker for trying to get more for them and their family, anymore than i can begrudge a Business for trying to make more profit. Everyone's just trying to survive. There has to be a middle-ground. If you can't afford to pay an American a decent wage, you really should get out. You shouldn't be in Business. Whining about it not being fair and how much you need those Illegals, just isn't gonna cut it. You can't have your slaves. Deal with it.
No one begrudges the American worker for trying to leverage their position. The problem though that has been pointed out is that fast food workers do not have leverage to begin with. They are not slaves – that is a misnomer and a fallacy. They are willing workers. They are paid that wage because that is the wage they are worth. IF you want to improve your slot you don’t go on strike when you are a zero skill and easily replaced worker. That is asinine and they are doing this because it is the EASY way out. Unfortunately for them, it is also completely ineffective.

What they need to do is get a SKILL. Something that raises their value. Once you have a skill and are not easily replaced by any bum on the street that can recognize a picture of a burger (as they don’t even need people that can read anymore) THEN striking actually means something. The company in question loses something when you stop going to work. McDonalds loses virtually nothing when the burger flipper fails to go to work. They just fond another of the millions that are willing to work.

So, in the end, do you really care about the workers? What are you railing against? Low wages? If so, what changes are you proposing? How do you propose fixing that ailment? What travesties do you see? Why do you think anyone is ‘standing up’ for the corporations?

I have heard nothing from you that constitutes a logical or meaningful statement. Things like ‘middle ground’ or ‘stand up for the worker’ might sound good to your ears but they are worthless platitudes and rhetoric. Basically, meaningless. So, lest stop with the meaningless rhetoric, I get enough of that in the worthless campaign speeches we are forced to endure every 2 years and give us something concrete.

I haven't advocated that. I just said Businesses could do better. Stop with the bitchin about needing Illegals to do the jobs. That's just plain shameful. American Citizens need the work. But they can't make it on slave wages. That's just reality. If you can't afford to pay an American decent wage, then get out. You shouldn't be in business. Businesses can't have their slaves. They'll just have to learn to deal with that.

I agree that illegal immigration must be stopped, that it adds a virus to the market and destroys the mechanism of the invisible hand.

That said, business must pay employees the value that the employee brings.

Period.

If they pay less, then competitors will snatch the best employees through higher wages. If they more, competitors will undercut them on price and they will go under.
Free market principles...

If Businesses paid better, we would likely have less Citizens living off Government handouts.

If we had fewer idiotic government regulations, businesses would have more money to pay their employees.

Won't disagree with you on that. Big Brother needs to get the Hell out of the way. He's just too involved in Citizens' lives at this point. Starting your own Business is pretty rough these days. Big Brother makes it very difficult. It's not what our Founding Fathers wanted. That being said, i think there's some middle-ground on issues like this.

I don't feel the need to rush to defend large Corporations. I think that has become an all-too common knee-jerk reaction for many. They don't need the defending. They're doing fine. They can afford to pay an American a decent wage. I get a little tired of the "Boo Hoo for the Corporations' stuff. If anything, it's the lowly worker who could use the defending. They don't want to be slaves. Good for them. Businesses will just have to get over it. Pay an American a decent wage, or get out. I don't want hear the whining stuff anymore.
No one is defending big corporations though. You are arguing against a straw man here and I think that you know it. The real question is:

Do you support government mandating higher wages through increased minimum wage or some other means?

If the answer to that is yes, then the problem that everyone has is that does virtually nothing to help their wages or the workers. More government meddling is not the solution. If it is no, then you are arguing for the sake of it as most here agree with you in that respect.
I can't begrudge an America Worker for trying to get more for them and their family, anymore than i can begrudge a Business for trying to make more profit. Everyone's just trying to survive. There has to be a middle-ground. If you can't afford to pay an American a decent wage, you really should get out. You shouldn't be in Business. Whining about it not being fair and how much you need those Illegals, just isn't gonna cut it. You can't have your slaves. Deal with it.
No one begrudges the American worker for trying to leverage their position. The problem though that has been pointed out is that fast food workers do not have leverage to begin with. They are not slaves – that is a misnomer and a fallacy. They are willing workers. They are paid that wage because that is the wage they are worth. IF you want to improve your slot you don’t go on strike when you are a zero skill and easily replaced worker. That is asinine and they are doing this because it is the EASY way out. Unfortunately for them, it is also completely ineffective.

What they need to do is get a SKILL. Something that raises their value. Once you have a skill and are not easily replaced by any bum on the street that can recognize a picture of a burger (as they don’t even need people that can read anymore) THEN striking actually means something. The company in question loses something when you stop going to work. McDonalds loses virtually nothing when the burger flipper fails to go to work. They just fond another of the millions that are willing to work.

So, in the end, do you really care about the workers? What are you railing against? Low wages? If so, what changes are you proposing? How do you propose fixing that ailment? What travesties do you see? Why do you think anyone is ‘standing up’ for the corporations?

I have heard nothing from you that constitutes a logical or meaningful statement. Things like ‘middle ground’ or ‘stand up for the worker’ might sound good to your ears but they are worthless platitudes and rhetoric. Basically, meaningless. So, lest stop with the meaningless rhetoric, I get enough of that in the worthless campaign speeches we are forced to endure every 2 years and give us something concrete.

Their just trying to get more for them and their families. I see nothing wrong with that. Businesses have no problem laying workers off, cutting hours, or hiring Temp workers to replace their Full/Part-time workers. They have no conscience when it comes to increasing their profits. They simply do whatever they can to get more cash. That's just the way it is. That's Capitalism. And I accept that. But I also accept workers having the right to do whatever they can to get more for themselves. There are two sides. That's all i'm saying.

Some people in this country really do believe they deserve or are entitled to cheap Slave Labor. They feel they're somehow special because they operate a Business. Well, guess what? That ain't the case. Just because you want to make money, doesn't mean you're special and entitled to having slaves. You don't want to pay, then quit your bitchin and shut it down. No one owes you anything. No one is required to be a slave so you can a turn a bigger profit. You don't like that reality? Oh well, too bad. Deal with it.

Last edited:

Their just trying to get more for them and their families. I see nothing wrong with that. Businesses have no problem laying workers off, cutting hours, or hiring Temp workers to replace their Full/Part-time workers. They have no conscience when it comes to increasing their profits. They simply do whatever they can to get more cash. That's just the way it is. That's Capitalism. And I accept that. But I also accept workers having the right to do whatever they can to get more for themselves. There are two sides. That's all i'm saying.

So, that’s a no to offering anything concrete, a position that you back, citing the people that are doing what you claim or really doing anything outside of spewing nonsensical rhetoric.

Thanks for letting me know that I can disregard what you state without having to worry about missing anything intelligent.

"...Free market principles..."

...provide an excellent point-of-departure and bedrock for any economy.

Closely monitored and, from time to time, forcibly adjusted or coerced or compelled, when they yield injustices or conditions which are detrimental to society at large.

Last edited:
"...I'll never begrudge a worker fighting for more. It's their right."

Agreed. And, given how badly the deck is stacked against workers, I don't begrudge them a union or periodic government intervention to level the playing field just a skosh.

Frankly, I think that most of the larger-scale unions in existence today have reached the point where they do more harm than good, at least much of the time, and I believe that their day in the sun may have passed by now, but there's still a place for them, and, when done right, with an organization that does it right, organizing under a union banner can do wonders to improve wages and conditions and workplace rights and accommodations for various segments of our labor force.

Last edited:

So, that’s a no to offering anything concrete, a position that you back, citing the people that are doing what you claim or really doing anything outside of spewing nonsensical rhetoric.

Thanks for letting me know that I can disregard what you state without having to worry about missing anything intelligent.

I back Workers doing whatever they can to get more for themselves and their families. Businesses do what they have to do, therefore Workers must do what they have to do. Capitalism is a Cut-Throat Business. Everyone is trying to get theirs. That's just the way it is. So pay an American a decent wage, or get out. Quit bitchin about it. There's no crying in Capitalism.

Last edited:
Oh god its so frickin simple get unemployment down to 3% and wages would sky rockect, but the Democrats need poor unemployed voters and Repubs dont want to pay those wages.

Many in their zealous defense of Capitalism, preach a strange moral double standard. They seem to hold Workers to an unrealistic lofty standard of morality, while at the same time giving Businesses an absolute free pass on morality. I've been guilty of that myself in the past. Businesses don't often consider morality in their bottom line decision-making. It's all about the profit. They lay Employees off or cut their hours & pay, whenever it's convenient for them to do so. Employees and their families don't get much consideration or mercy when it comes to increasing the profits.

Unfortunately, so many people choose to completely ignore that sad reality. But at the same time, those same people are very quick to condemn and insult Workers for trying to get a few more scraps for them and their families. It's a bizarre double standard. Business Owners are not exempt from being good moral Citizens. Owning a Business doesn't give them a pass on that. If it's gonna be a Dog eat Dog World, than so be it. Don't condemn Workers for trying to survive in it.

Last edited:
Many in their zealous defense of Capitalism, preach a strange moral double standard. They seem to hold Workers to an unrealistic lofty standard of morality, while at the same time giving Businesses an absolute free pass on morality. I've been guilty of that myself in the past. Businesses don't often consider morality in their bottom line decision-making. It's all about the profit. They lay Employees off or cut their hours & pay, whenever it's convenient for them to do so. Employees and their families don't get much consideration or mercy when it comes to increasing the profits.

Unfortunately, so many people choose to completely ignore that sad reality. But at the same time, those same people are very quick to condemn and insult Workers for trying to get a few more scraps for them and their families. It's a bizarre double standard. Business Owners are not exempt from being good moral Citizens. Owning a Business doesn't give them a pass on that. If it's gonna to be a Dog eat Dog World, than so be it. Don't condemn Workers for trying to survive in it.

Business is not a charity. Any given business owes their employees nothing more than a paycheck for the hours worked. No business is going to have an employee based business model. The obligation any business has is to stay in business. They stay in business to benefit the owners and the employees who still work there. There is nothing moral about letting employees bleed a business to death.

Unfortunately, so many people choose to completely ignore that sad reality. But at the same time, those same people are very quick to condemn and insult Workers for trying to get a few more scraps for them and their families. It's a bizarre double standard. Business Owners are not exempt from being good moral Citizens. Owning a Business doesn't give them a pass on that. If it's gonna to be a Dog eat Dog World, than so be it. Don't condemn Workers for trying to survive in it.

Business is not a charity. Any given business owes their employees nothing more than a paycheck for the hours worked. No business is going to have an employee based business model. The obligation any business has is to stay in business. They stay in business to benefit the owners and the employees who still work there. There is nothing moral about letting employees bleed a business to death.
Bullshit.

You're clearly all-in on that double standard. Businesses do what they do to make cash, and Workers have to do what they do to get more for them and their families. You don't want morals? That's fine. But hold them both to the same standards. Capitalism is a Cut-Throat Business. It is what it is.

the complaining burger flippers seem to have this notion that the owners of their franchises are all multi-millionaires who shouldn't have a problem giving them raises, yah, as if the owner of your local Burger King franchise has an extra 8 million just sitting around collecting dust. {they have no idea of the concept of "Overhead Costs"} you ask a 19 year old employee what Overhead means, they will in react in a state of confusion. Uhm, ahh,,,overhead? ahh, that's like "Stuff Hanging Over Your Head",,,right? errrr.

and some of these kids have kids to support on a fast food salary? I can remember over the decades when kids had to support their own kids delivering pizza! what ever happened to being financially secure with a decent job,,BEFORE YOU HAVE A CHILD !!! and they complain, ...yo mann! I have 2 kids an you expect me to support dem on a McDonalds salary?

Forum List

Back