🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fast food workers strike

What would be the point of even that? If it isn't enough to live on, what's the point of setting a minimum wage.?

McDonalds is not a career, if you think it is then you're probably too stupid for even $8 an hour.

I agree completely. No company owes you enough to live on. Some people don't seem to grasp that employer's compensate you based on your value to them. Not what you need.

I disagree, it certainly can be a substantial career. The problem is most of these workers don't want to make the effort to make it so. Most fast food restaurants offer excellent management programs. Nothing wrong with learning business in the real world instead of from a professor that has never actually run a business.

I think it would surprise most people to see how many fast food Owners started as grill men.

Yea but is is not fair the fast food workers voted democrat and for higher taxes, in turn good paying jobs left., It is not fair I tell you.

McDonalds is not a career, if you think it is then you're probably too stupid for even $8 an hour.

I agree completely. No company owes you enough to live on. Some people don't seem to grasp that employer's compensate you based on your value to them. Not what you need.

I disagree, it certainly can be a substantial career. The problem is most of these workers don't want to make the effort to make it so. Most fast food restaurants offer excellent management programs. Nothing wrong with learning business in the real world instead of from a professor that has never actually run a business.

I think it would surprise most people to see how many fast food Owners started as grill men.

Good point.

I can see moving the minimum wage up to $8.00 or $8.25 a hour but $15.00 a hour get real.

What would be the point of even that? If it isn't enough to live on, what's the point of setting a minimum wage.?

Minimum wage was never designed to live on or support a family on it's a starting point set up for high school kids or those going right from high school into the workforce even so you still have to bump it up now and then.

Then came the obummer economy...........................

The problem here is that once again, we're trying to take what is an entry level job for kids and artificially jack up the wage level so slackers can make it a career choice.

Prediction: $15/hr minimum wage = same shitty food at a higher price and same shitty service.

Well on the bright side, given the pace of innovation in automation technology it's probably not going to be many more years until we start seeing fully/mostly automated fast food restaurants. So we'll get to replace a bunch of low skilled, low paying jobs with higher skilled, higher paying jobs, likely along with higher quality and lower prices. These people demanding $15 an hour for this work are just hastening the day that happens. ;)

Definitely... the process is highly automated already. The fryers are timed as are the broilers, etc. It isn't long before the whole process will be automated, hell, it might resemble the old automats!

Al Copeland, the founder of Popeyes, started at Tastee Donuts... herein lies the problem with the minimum wage... the higher you make it, the more you dis-incentivize ambition.

1968's min wage would be $11 today. Feq Reaganism.

At the march in 1963, one demand was to raise it to $2, $13.80 today. Prices would not go up that much, as dupes fear, and many more could buy. 2/3 of new jobs since 2009 have been below $13, and 40% of min wage jobs now are held by people over 28 with some college. Times have changed.

Minimum wage was never designed to live on or support a family on it's a starting point set up for high school kids or those going right from high school into the workforce even so you still have to bump it up now and then.

Then came the obummer economy...........................

You mean the Reaganist ruin of the nonrich and the country, the Booosh meltdown of 2008, and 5 years of mindless obstruction and bs"crises"...Pub dupes!!:eusa_liar::cuckoo:

I can see moving the minimum wage up to $8.00 or $8.25 a hour but $15.00 a hour get real.

I think $10 to $12 is justifiable in some of the big cities like New York, LA, San Fran, Chicago, etc... $8 to $10 would be decent in areas where the cost of living is much lower. One problem with the federal minimum wage is that it does not take into account the cost of living from one area to another. Rent where I live averages $600 per month; in Chicago it averages $1200. In New York, I'd imagine it is a bit higher than Chicago. $7.25 goes a lot farther in Ohio than it does in Chicago or New York, and even here in Ohio the state minimum is up to $7.85 I believe.

I think $10 to $12 is justifiable in some of the big cities like New York, LA, San Fran, Chicago, etc... $8 to $10 would be decent in areas where the cost of living is much lower. One problem with the federal minimum wage is that it does not take into account the cost of living from one area to another. Rent where I live averages $600 per month; in Chicago it averages $1200. In New York, I'd imagine it is a bit higher than Chicago. $7.25 goes a lot farther in Ohio than it does in Chicago or New York, and even here in Ohio the state minimum is up to $7.85 I believe.

That probably has something to do with the rational that the states use to set their own minimum wage which can be anything they want equal to or greater than the federal minimum wage.

None of it is any more justified than government setting a minimum price that anybody has to pay for anything. Would it be "justified" if the government set the minimum price for a loaf of bread at $10.00? If not, why not? after all the baker has to make a "living wage" too.

One of the best things that could happen to this country is if the high cost of labor forced the fast food industry out of business.

Al Copeland, the founder of Popeyes, started at Tastee Donuts... herein lies the problem with the minimum wage... the higher you make it, the more you dis-incentivize ambition.

There is a flip side to that. While most anyone can be trained to work in a fast food restaurant, those people work harder than just about anyone.

There is a flip side to that. While most anyone can be trained to work in a fast food restaurant, those people work harder than just about anyone.

The low pay jobs normaly are, they dont pay you to think, they pay you to work.

Here is another problem if you double the minimum wage up to $15.00 a hour anyone making less than that would have to be jumped up to it you can't have a legal minimum wage and have people working under it say you had twenty employees averaging between $8.00 and $10.00 dollars a hour then you had to bump them up to $15.00 that would be a pretty big hit to take you would have more than a few businesses have to cut back their staff or possible go under due to that.

One of the best things that could happen to this country is if the high cost of labor forced the fast food industry out of business.

Stay away from my one Big Mac a month dammit.

Plus i just love seeing a progressive want to dismantle an industry and unemploy hundreds of thousands. Feel the love.

1968's min wage would be $11 today. Feq Reaganism.

At the march in 1963, one demand was to raise it to $2, $13.80 today. Prices would not go up that much, as dupes fear, and many more could buy. 2/3 of new jobs since 2009 have been below $13, and 40% of min wage jobs now are held by people over 28 with some college. Times have changed.

A) Where's your evidence?

B) Seeing as how the fluctuation in prices is irrelavent to the concept of a minimum wage, what's your point?

Stay away from my one Big Mac a month dammit.

I think you're safe, where there is sufficient demand supply will follow, you just might be getting your Big Mac made and served by a robot. One Big RoboMac comin' up ... :)

'Hard work' can have a lot of definitions. A lot of people who say wages need to be higher because of how hard they work, define hard work as physical labor. Like someone on their feet all day, a factory worker or the like. What is not understood by some is that wages increase with demand and scarcity of skills. It doesn't matter if you spend 10 hours a day on your feet doing manual labor. The reason those jobs don't pay well is because almost anyone can do them. It's the jobs you have to work your brain hard at that pay the most.

And why would it be one of the best things? You want people unemployed and hungry?

There were no strikers anywhere around. Just the normal busy lunchtime crowd.

There is no widespread support. What they are doing in concentrating efforts at a few stores to make the strike look like more than it really is.

Forum List

Back