🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Fast food workers strike

I disagree, it certainly can be a substantial career. The problem is most of these workers don't want to make the effort to make it so. Most fast food restaurants offer excellent management programs. Nothing wrong with learning business in the real world instead of from a professor that has never actually run a business.

I think it would surprise most people to see how many fast food Owners started as grill men.

Al Copeland, the founder of Popeyes, started at Tastee Donuts... herein lies the problem with the minimum wage... the higher you make it, the more you dis-incentivize ambition.

There is a flip side to that. While most anyone can be trained to work in a fast food restaurant, those people work harder than just about anyone.

Not really.

Fast Food Workers Plan To Strike Nationwide Thursday

Any one seen any yet today? I'm curious as to who organized this. Obviously the participants don't have much in the way foresight. Probably why they're working at McDonald's in the first place.

Where do people with foresight work?

I meant lack of foresight in participating in the protests and what would actually happen should they be successful. You have a bunch of people claiming they don't make enough at these jobs to support themselves. Say in some goofy world they actually get their $15.00/hr. What happens then? The cost of fast food goes up. People start making different decisions about where they get their food. McDonald's get's less business requiring fewere employees so now some of the people protesting for more money now have no money. As I said, lack of foresight.

Here is a prime example of a person who should NOT be working at McDonalds:

"They make millions that come from our feet. They can afford to pay us better," Shaniqua Davis, 20, told AFP at a demonstration outside a McDonald's on New York's posh Fifth Avenue.

Davis has a one-year-old child and works at a branch of the restaurant in the Bronx where she earns $7.25 an hour.

"I have bills to pay. I need to buy diapers. I can hardly buy food. I am treated good but we need more money."

She said if it wasn't for food stamps and help she received to pay her rent "I would already be on the street." US fast food workers strike to supersize wages

A single mother is the last person that should be trying to make ends meet working at McDonalds.

McDonalds is not a career, if you think it is then you're probably too stupid for even $8 an hour.

I agree completely. No company owes you enough to live on. Some people don't seem to grasp that employer's compensate you based on your value to them. Not what you need.

I disagree, it certainly can be a substantial career. The problem is most of these workers don't want to make the effort to make it so. Most fast food restaurants offer excellent management programs. Nothing wrong with learning business in the real world instead of from a professor that has never actually run a business.

I think it would surprise most people to see how many fast food Owners started as grill men.

I agree. Some people look down on jobs like fast food or department store workers, but a lot of those managers at WalMart got their start pushing carts in the parking lot.

I can see moving the minimum wage up to $8.00 or $8.25 a hour but $15.00 a hour get real.

I agree. The problem I see is that there seems to be an argument between the two extremes in this country. Either people don't want the minimum wage raised at all, or they want it raised by a ridiculous amount.

Imagine the detriment to small businesses that already pay their employees between $8 and $15 an hour. They would have to give their employees a raise, because you can't have fast food workers making as much money as somebody with a specialized skill. Those businesses would stop hiring, start firing, or both.

If minimum wage went up automatically with inflation the effects would be less deleterious to business than waiting to make one big raise every 5-10 years.

Again, if it's not going to be enough to live on (and is shouldn't be used as such) what point is there in having a minimum wage at all?

So was the 25 minutes it took for me to get a biscuit, hash brown, and coffee at McDonald's this morning just normal service?

Don't know but if it was that is a strike against $15.00 dollars a hour.

? Because lower paid workers are better workers ?

No because workers who do their job good are paid better unless they had lines going out the door a 25 minute wait time does not qualify as doing a good job.

Hopefully these people won't be too surprised when they find themselves replaced by workers that don't share their distorted perspective on the market value of their low skilled labor.

"Good luck with your layoffs, all right? I hope your firings go really well." -- Peter Gibbons

You can't replace them overnight.

Sure you can.

He believes the obama lie that unemployment is a thing of the past. With everyone working in the blissful obama economy, no one will want to work at McDonalds.

I can see moving the minimum wage up to $8.00 or $8.25 a hour but $15.00 a hour get real.

I think $10 to $12 is justifiable in some of the big cities like New York, LA, San Fran, Chicago, etc... $8 to $10 would be decent in areas where the cost of living is much lower. One problem with the federal minimum wage is that it does not take into account the cost of living from one area to another. Rent where I live averages $600 per month; in Chicago it averages $1200. In New York, I'd imagine it is a bit higher than Chicago. $7.25 goes a lot farther in Ohio than it does in Chicago or New York, and even here in Ohio the state minimum is up to $7.85 I believe.

Very few people who work in New York actually live there, especially Manhattan.

But from the look of these posts here, it seems like many have forgotten about the debacle of the economy which started in 2008, and which they like to blame on Obama, of course.

And so all of these fast food workers are just a bunch of bums who don't know how to get a real job over the last few years, even though there aren't any.

Righties on this board like to carefully monitor the unemployment rate and say it's much higher than actually reported and they talk about the imminent economic collapse, but somehow all these restaurant workers striking today should be smarter and have a better job by now.

These people want to work, not go on food stamps. But that's still not good enough for a bunch of assholes who don't know what it's like to try to live off $1100 a month after many have lost their good paying jobs DURING THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION.

Last edited:
Fast Food Workers Plan To Strike Nationwide Thursday

Any one seen any yet today? I'm curious as to who organized this. Obviously the participants don't have much in the way foresight. Probably why they're working at McDonald's in the first place.

Where do people with foresight work?

I meant lack of foresight in participating in the protests and what would actually happen should they be successful. You have a bunch of people claiming they don't make enough at these jobs to support themselves. Say in some goofy world they actually get their $15.00/hr. What happens then? The cost of fast food goes up. People start making different decisions about where they get their food. McDonald's get's less business requiring fewere employees so now some of the people protesting for more money now have no money. As I said, lack of foresight.

Although minimum wage has been jacked up numerous times since McDonald's opened its first store - it has yet to cause McDonald's to stop growing.

images

You'll have to forgive the lowly fast food employees for relying on real empirical data rather than your white board theoretical toy model.

Here is a prime example of a person who should NOT be working at McDonalds:

"They make millions that come from our feet. They can afford to pay us better," Shaniqua Davis, 20, told AFP at a demonstration outside a McDonald's on New York's posh Fifth Avenue.

Davis has a one-year-old child and works at a branch of the restaurant in the Bronx where she earns $7.25 an hour.

"I have bills to pay. I need to buy diapers. I can hardly buy food. I am treated good but we need more money."

She said if it wasn't for food stamps and help she received to pay her rent "I would already be on the street." US fast food workers strike to supersize wages

A single mother is the last person that should be trying to make ends meet working at McDonalds.
Oh of course not, she should have become a CEO instead.

Obviously.

I agree. The problem I see is that there seems to be an argument between the two extremes in this country. Either people don't want the minimum wage raised at all, or they want it raised by a ridiculous amount.

Imagine the detriment to small businesses that already pay their employees between $8 and $15 an hour. They would have to give their employees a raise, because you can't have fast food workers making as much money as somebody with a specialized skill. Those businesses would stop hiring, start firing, or both.

If minimum wage went up automatically with inflation the effects would be less deleterious to business than waiting to make one big raise every 5-10 years.

Again, if it's not going to be enough to live on (and is shouldn't be used as such) what point is there in having a minimum wage at all?

In my opinion, the minimum wage SHOULD be enough to live on. The problem is that a lot of people making minimum wage aren't living within their means. This is also a problem with people making much more than the minimum wage. If you make $7.25 an hour don't expect to be able to buy an IPad. If you do want one, learn a skill and earn it.

I think $10 to $12 is justifiable in some of the big cities like New York, LA, San Fran, Chicago, etc... $8 to $10 would be decent in areas where the cost of living is much lower. One problem with the federal minimum wage is that it does not take into account the cost of living from one area to another. Rent where I live averages $600 per month; in Chicago it averages $1200. In New York, I'd imagine it is a bit higher than Chicago. $7.25 goes a lot farther in Ohio than it does in Chicago or New York, and even here in Ohio the state minimum is up to $7.85 I believe.

Agreed, let the market decide.

Yes, in some cases it is warranted. Specifically it is warranted where market conditions dictate higher wages. If you want to work at McDonalds bad enough and want to make $14/hr you can move to Williston, ND and start for that.

Al Copeland, the founder of Popeyes, started at Tastee Donuts... herein lies the problem with the minimum wage... the higher you make it, the more you dis-incentivize ambition.

There is a flip side to that. While most anyone can be trained to work in a fast food restaurant, those people work harder than just about anyone.

Not really.

Why do you say that? Do you know, or is this a Limbaugh talking point, or.......?? Why do you suppose they call it Fast Food? How many meals does a Fast food cook serve for low wages, compared to a resturant cook with high wages? Who works harder?

Last edited:

But from the look of these posts here, it seems like many have forgotten about the debacle of the economy which started in 2008, and which they like to blame on Obama, of course.

And so all of these fast food workers are just a bunch of bums who don't know how to get a real job over the last few years, even though there aren't any.

Righties on this board like to carefully monitor the unemployment rate and say it's much higher than actually reported and they talk about the imminent economic collapse, but somehow all these restaurant workers striking today should be smarter and have a better job by now.

These people want to work, not go on food stamps. But that's still not good enough for a bunch of assholes who don't know what it's like to try to live off $1100 a month after many have lost their good paying jobs DURING THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION.

Rachel Maddow? Is that you?"

God, how pathetic you are!

Don't know but if it was that is a strike against $15.00 dollars a hour.

? Because lower paid workers are better workers ?

No because workers who do their job good are paid better...

Not in fast food joints. Have you ever worked in one? Its usually half slackers and half real workers. The real workers seldom get paid any significant amount more than the slackers.

unless they had lines going out the door a 25 minute wait time does not qualify as doing a good job.
The people who took 25 minutes to get me my food obviously weren't the ones on strike.

I don't ever expect people getting less than $8 an hour to do a "good job" at anything, btw.

Not really.

Why do you say that? Do you know, or is this a Limbaugh talking point, or.......??

Well, I worked at a McDonalds back in the 70's.....when I was 16...I was an assistant manager when I left at the end of the summer. Back then, there was little automation...and it was still a cushy job.

Work hard? Depends on how you define working hard.

Having to be there at a certain time can be deemed hard.

Beyond that, it is pretty much completely automated, stress free and, to be frank...one does not need to be more than a 16 year old child to get the work done.

LMFAO....15 bucks an hour to put a burger in a bag and to give the exact change that the register calculates for you.

Give me a fucking break.

Blaming obama for what happened in 2008 is just about as stupid as blaming Bush.

And so all of these fast food workers are just a bunch of bums who don't know how to get a real job over the last few years, even though there aren't any.[/B]

Wait what? There aren't any jobs? How come you lefties have been telling us that there are all this time? That obama has fixed the economy?

Righties on this board like to carefully monitor the unemployment rate and say it's much higher than actually reported and they talk about the imminent economic collapse, but somehow all these restaurant workers striking today should be smarter and have a better job by now.[/B]

Lol, now you are doing exactly the same thing. Which is it? Is the job market better or worse under obama? You keep changing your mind.

These people want to work, not go on food stamps.[/B]

Know them all personally do you?:cuckoo:

But that's still not good enough for a bunch of assholes who don't know what it's like to try to live off $1100 a month after many have lost their good paying jobs DURING THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION.[/B]

You are an idiot.

Forum List

Back