Father Arrested For Protesting A Book

There is no criminal statute against "protesting a book", so your thread is moronic from the start.

He was arrested, most likely, for trespassing (staying when asked to leave) or disturbing the peace (being an asshole).[/QUOTE]

the latter.

shrug--Hadn't been 'that involved' in 'what goes on at the school'---and then went off the deep end. jmo. He has a right. Hurray.

Could have contacted the teacher and/or administrator and expressed his opinions. There's that. He exercised his right.

He didn't go off the deep end.

And he was arrested at the say-so of whoever was officiating the meetinng.

If you watched the clip, you will hear him say that he had attempted to talk to the teacher and to the principal, who wouldn't take his call....and that their response was to send out an objectionable letter, which he had and they would not allow him to read.

I am not interested in exposing 14 year old girls to brothel life. I understand that I may have a different take on what I expect from them than most progressives do.

He didn't go off the deep end.

And he was arrested at the say-so of whoever was officiating the meetinng.

If you watched the clip, you will hear him say that he had attempted to talk to the teacher and to the principal, who wouldn't take his call....and that their response was to send out an objectionable letter, which he had and they would not allow him to read.

I am not interested in exposing 14 year old girls to brothel life. I understand that I may have a different take on what I expect from them than most progressives do.

fwiw--I am not exactly a 'progressive'--I did teach reading. neither here nor there.

I cannot listen to the clip--technical problems. and really I don't care.

Lots of societal issues that are disturbing. Lots of opinions on every issue.

Thinking back to the books I read--no, explicit sex would not have been allowed--but 'sex' was introduced into literature. Philosophically--should we discuss that?

As I said --I read 'on my own'--James Bond--probably pretty tame by today's standards--but I got the idea--and wasn't really phased ---some students of today may feel the same---

? Real issue-? that this is now something teenagers have as a reality? I don't know --I just don't know. I feel certain this book is being read in my area--all over the US--the world.

I assume that schools 'have to talk about bullying'---which was the main theme of the book. and so on.

Last edited:
if anyone cares--'Out of the Easy' sounds like quite a book.

The Book Smugglers | Book Review: Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

I just chose it randomly.

Written by someone in the UK---all kinds of issues seem to be included.

Probably not a book that many US school systems would include in a curriculum. Some might--who knows?

Lots of books that would seem to fall into 'fantasy'--good luck in finding books to actually enjoy---my final thoughts.

~~~
'Good Books for Teens'--

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/the-best-ya-books-of-2013

probably only of interest to me---

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/15/living/young-adult-fiction-evolution/

Last edited:
Are there police present at every school board meeting so they can arrest every person who violates the two minute rule? Is everyone who violated the two minute rule arrested?

That's not why he was arrested.

Duh.
Yes it was, duh.
Judge: Arrest of parent for violating school board’s 2-minute speaking rule ‘chilling’

Now, Baer’s had his day in court and the three counts of disorderly conduct were quickly dismissed by Circui Court Judge James M. Carroll.

“…Individuals, from time to time, may be disruptive but the disruptiveness should not be cause for an arrest,” Carroll wrote in his decision, according to the Union Leader.

“The court does not find the actions of the defendant to be criminal in nature, which is necessary in the ordering of restrictions on a citizen’s liberties in First Amendment considerations. The court finds that the defendant’s action never created a breach of peace sustaining a criminal complaint,” Carroll wrote in his decision.

“The sequence of the arrest actions cause pause by the court as to the chilling, if not silencing of a citizen by the state, for actions which do not warrant a criminal arrest nor conviction,” he wrote.

Judge Arrest of parent for violating school board 8217 s 2-minute speaking rule 8216 chilling 8217 - EAGnews.org

Our education professionals give exactly two craps for law, or liberty.

Which is the chilling thing.

Forum List

Back