FDA orders ban on all trans fat

What in the fuck is the issue with requiring a food seller to ensure its ingredients are safe? You want to inject trans fats for whatever perverse reasoning, find a way to do it safely and inject all you want.

As I stated before, everybody knows that trans fats are not good for your health, but like many other things we consume, it's only bad in excess. It's not poison and people eat them because they like them. I don't eat trans fats at home, but I'm sure I do on occasion when I go out to eat and I'm in very good health. The problem is when people consume too much of them.

Consuming too much sugar can also cause long term health problems. Should the FDA ban that next to ensure we're eating safely? That should put every bakery in the country out of business until they find a way to inject it into their food for whatever perverse reasoning.

Consuming too much alcohol is far more dangerous than trans fats. Shall we reenact Prohibition until breweries and distilleries can find a safe way to make alcoholic drinks for whatever perverse reasoning?

Where does the line get drawn?

Summa y'all just act like toddlers in here, no shit.

You would know better than anyone, I suppose, since it's you defending the government treating you like one.

Trans Fats ARE poison , they are just a poison that our bodies can metabolize up to a certain point.

Any thing taken in too high a quantity will kill you......drink several gallons of water in a short period of time...see how long you live.....dittos alcohol.......

The FDA has determined that no amount of trans fat in our food is safe. And it isn't the only organization that has made that finding. Canada stopped allowing it three years ago. And so did the UK and other European nations.

ONE.
MORE.
TIME.

There is no trans fat "ban".

:banghead:

FDA orders food manufactures to stop using trans fats within 3 years.

Is there a place where you can go buy trans fats and add them to your foods like salt and pepper that I don't know about, or does the fact that the people who currently use trans fats will no longer be allowed to use trans fats actually constitute a ban on trans fats?

You fucking idiot

You actually think posting "FDA orders food manufactures to stop using trans fats within 3 years." makes it some real thing?

What in the fuck is wrong with you?

CNN reported it, if isn't true, take it up with them you dumb fuck

FDA on trans fat Halt use in U.S. food within 3 years - CNN.com

No they DIDN'T, because that's not what it says.
Go ahead. Find it.

Read the link fool. If the FDA proposal is approved then trans fats will be banned unless approved on a case by case basis. That essentially means a ban.

So yes, they are proposing a ban.

Can someone link me to a single honest post from Pogo?

Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

Dishonest HACK.

"Give me forty acres and I'll turn this point around..."

Stupid idiot. I told you, we did this years ago. All FDA proposes to do is take trans fats off the GRAS list.

That's IT.

Being ON the GRAS list means you can put one of these in the food you sell, and we have to take your word that it's safe, since we simply have no information to the contrary.

Being NOT ON the GRAS list means before you can put that substance in, you have to demonstrate it's safe. Same thing EVERY FUCKING DRUG has to do. If you can do that -- off you go, dump all the trans fats you want.

That is not a "ban".

So what you're trying to put down here is a burden of safety proof. Which means you want to poison us all, by standing in the way of the safeguards.

Why do you hate America?

Fucking moron...

Last edited:
What in the fuck is the issue with requiring a food seller to ensure its ingredients are safe? You want to inject trans fats for whatever perverse reasoning, find a way to do it safely and inject all you want.

As I stated before, everybody knows that trans fats are not good for your health, but like many other things we consume, it's only bad in excess. It's not poison and people eat them because they like them. I don't eat trans fats at home, but I'm sure I do on occasion when I go out to eat and I'm in very good health. The problem is when people consume too much of them.

Consuming too much sugar can also cause long term health problems. Should the FDA ban that next to ensure we're eating safely? That should put every bakery in the country out of business until they find a way to inject it into their food for whatever perverse reasoning.

Consuming too much alcohol is far more dangerous than trans fats. Shall we reenact Prohibition until breweries and distilleries can find a safe way to make alcoholic drinks for whatever perverse reasoning?

You would know better than anyone, I suppose, since it's you defending the government treating you like one.

Trans Fats ARE poison , they are just a poison that our bodies can metabolize up to a certain point.

Any thing taken in too high a quantity will kill you......drink several gallons of water in a short period of time...see how long you live.....dittos alcohol.......

The FDA has determined that no amount of trans fat in our food is safe. And it isn't the only organization that has made that finding. Canada stopped allowing it three years ago. And so did the UK and other European nations.

That's fine, doesn't change the fact that they HAVE proposed a ban

Is there a place where you can go buy trans fats and add them to your foods like salt and pepper that I don't know about, or does the fact that the people who currently use trans fats will no longer be allowed to use trans fats actually constitute a ban on trans fats?

You fucking idiot

You actually think posting "FDA orders food manufactures to stop using trans fats within 3 years." makes it some real thing?

Go ahead. Find it.

Read the link fool. If the FDA proposal is approved then trans fats will be banned unless approved on a case by case basis. That essentially means a ban.

Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

Dishonest HACK.

LOL look at this idiot, he wants to argue semantics over whether it's a proposed ban or it's been passed already.

You fucking idiot.

ONE.
MORE.
TIME.

There is no trans fat "ban".

:banghead:

You fucking idiot

Go ahead. Find it.

The ban is only on processed foods.

I don't disagree. It is a ban. But companies have three years to come into compliance.

Moreover, taking a substance off the GRAS list is no "ban". It's requiring the substance to certify itself as clean.

Go ahead -- make an argument against that.
I dare you.

Well, I guess that's your little secret, now, isn't it.

Pogo must be some fat fuck who's stock piled some trans fat to add to his food, meaning no ban for him.

What an idiot.

Yes...you sound like someone who is a hair smarter than a bear.

Just so you dumbasses know I was quoting the headline on CNN channel. Carry on fuckers.

You fucking idiot

Go ahead. Find it.

The ban is only on processed foods.

Where else are trans fats used other than processed foods?

Banning trans fats in processed foods IS banning trans fats.

I'm not saying that is good or bad I'm simply saying it IS a ban.

Wouldn't banning people who have a BMI over say 20% be a better solution?

Hey Randbots....

See this guy?
Victims-of-Thalidomide-Drugmaker-Apologizes-for-Birth-Defects1.jpg

His limbs are stunted because his mother took the drug Thalidomide.

He's in Wales. One of at least ten thousand children born around the world with birth deformities.

Know why none of you have that problem?

See this woman?​

220px-Kelsey_01.jpg

That's Frances Kelsey, receiving the President's Award for Distinguished Federal Service in 1962.

Why is she receiving that award?

Because Kelsey, with the FDA, made sure the agency did the fucking job we created it to do -- and put up a stop sign, thereby DENYING you the right to be born deformed.

All around the world, Thalidomide was prescribed, sold and produced deformed babies.
That is -- all over the world except here.

THAT is what FDA does, however minimally. It's the whole reason it exists. It's exactly why the Biologics Control Act was passed to ensure purity and safety of serums, vaccines, and similar products (1902); why the Food and Drugs Act regulating misbranded and adulterated foods, drinks and drugs was passed (1906, with the Meat Inspection Act passed the same day); why the GRAS list --which is the issue here-- was established in 1958.

Now your slavishly Randian efforts to champion the rights of Duh People to ingest salmonella and have babies without limbs is admirable in an ideologically obtuse way, but it's also god damned silly.

Frances Kelsey was presented the Kelsey Award, named after her, five years ago. She'll be 101 next month.

The least you Randbots could do is thank her for the fact that you have arms and legs.
Oh noes, that means you'd have to actually acknowledge Da EEBIL GUBMINT got it right. What a fuckin' nightmare.

Last edited:

Quote it then, fucking liar.

I don't disagree. It is a ban. But companies have three years to come into compliance.

No it ISN'T a ban.

A ban is when you can't use something. It's verboten. THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS IS.

No it ISN'T a ban.

bullshit

There is an assault weapon ban, but with a proper license you can obtain assault weapons. ALL government bans work that way. There are exceptions, they are just nearly impossible to get that way the government can say "see there is no ban"

No it ISN'T a ban.

bullshit

There is an assault weapon ban, but with a proper license you can obtain assault weapons. ALL government bans work that way. There are exceptions, they are just nearly impossible to get that way the government can say "see there is no ban"
So you want the word "ban" to mean "whatever fits my agenda at the time in that thread".

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'​

Fucking dishonest HACK. It really is like arguing with a Lewis Carroll egg. Only stupider.

Your analogy completely fails. There is no assault weapons regulation that says you can use it if you can prove assault weapons are safe. And there is no "license" proposed to use trans fats.

Once AGAIN, moron... you want to use trans fats in the product you sell to the public? Fine. Just show us it's safe to ingest. Then sell all that stuff you want. Everybody's happy.

What you're whining about is that you have to show it's safe.

Why in the FUCK would you have a problem with that, unless you're trying to poison us all?

DUMBASS.

Last edited:

No it ISN'T a ban.

bullshit

So you want the word "ban" to mean "whatever fits my agenda at the time in that thread".

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'​

Fucking dishonest HACK.

It really is like arguing with a Lewis Carroll egg. Only stupider.

Once AGAIN, moron... you want to use trans fats in the product you sell to the public? Fine. Just show us it's safe to ingest. Then sell all that stuff you want. Everybody's happy.

Why in the FUCK would you have a problem with that, unless you're trying to poison us all?

DUMBASS.

Hey stupid

Federal Assault Weapons Ban - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The government itself calls it a ban, but lo and behold there ARE exceptions.

DUH

No it ISN'T a ban.

bullshit

Fucking dishonest HACK.

It really is like arguing with a Lewis Carroll egg. Only stupider.

DUMBASS.

Hey stupid

Federal Assault Weapons Ban - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The government itself calls it a ban, but lo and behold there ARE exceptions.

DUH

Assault weapons are not the topic here, Cretin.

Quote it then, fucking liar.

CBS is also reporting it as a ban.

No it ISN'T a ban.

Here is the FDA's statement:

The FDA takes step to remove artificial trans fats in processed foods

Based on a thorough review of the scientific evidence, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration today finalized its determination that partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs), the primary dietary source of artificial trans fat in processed foods, are not “generally recognized as safe” or GRAS for use in human food. Food manufacturers will have three years to remove PHOs from products.

“The FDA’s action on this major source of artificial trans fat demonstrates the agency’s commitment to the heart health of all Americans," said FDA's Acting Commissioner Stephen Ostroff, M.D. "This action is expected to reduce coronary heart disease and prevent thousands of fatal heart attacks every year.”

This determination will significantly reduce the use of PHOs, the major source of artificial trans fats, in the food supply. In 2013, the FDA made a tentative determination that PHOs could no longer be considered GRAS and is finalizing that determination after considering public comments.

Since 2006, manufacturers have been required to include trans fat content information on the Nutrition Facts label of foods. Between 2003 and 2012, the FDA estimates that consumer trans fat consumption decreased about 78 percent and that the labeling rule and industry reformulation of foods were key factors in informing healthier consumer choices and reducing trans fat in foods. While trans fat intake has significantly decreased, the current intake remains a public health concern. The Institute of Medicine recommends that consumption of trans fat be as low as possible while consuming a nutritionally-adequate diet.

“Studies show that diet and nutrition play a key role in preventing chronic health problems, such as cardiovascular disease and today’s action goes hand in hand with other FDA initiatives to improve the health of Americans, including updating the nutrition facts label,” said Susan Mayne, Ph.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. “This determination is based on extensive research into the effects of PHOs, as well as input from all stakeholders received during the public comment period.”

The FDA has set a compliance period of three years. This will allow companies to either reformulate products without PHOs and/or petition the FDA to permit specific uses of PHOs. Following the compliance period, no PHOs can be added to human food unless they are otherwise approved by the FDA.

The FDA encourages consumers seeking to reduce trans fat intake to check a food’s ingredient list for partially hydrogenated oils to determine whether or not a product contains PHOs. Currently, foods are allowed to be labeled as having “0” grams trans fat if they contain less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving, including PHOs, the primary dietary source of artificial trans fat in processed foods.

Many companies have already been working to remove PHOs from processed foods and the FDA anticipates that many may eliminate them ahead of the three-year compliance date.

The FDA, an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, protects the public health by assuring the safety, effectiveness, and security of human and veterinary drugs, vaccines and other biological products for human use, and medical devices. The agency also is responsible for the safety and security of our nation’s food supply, cosmetics, dietary supplements, products that give off electronic radiation, and for regulating tobacco products.

No it ISN'T a ban.

bullshit

The FDA has stated that after three years, PHOs will no longer be allowed in foods. That, to me, is a ban. " Food manufacturers will have three years to remove PHOs from products." That is their statement, verbatim.

Forum List

Back