FDA orders ban on all trans fat

Who wants to sum up the arguments for me.

I've posted this already, but I'll summarize the FDA's summary here:

Based on a thorough review of the scientific evidence, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration today finalized its determination that partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs), the primary dietary source of artificial trans fat in processed foods, are not “generally recognized as safe” or GRAS for use in human food. Food manufacturers will have three years to remove PHOs from products.

“The FDA’s action on this major source of artificial trans fat demonstrates the agency’s commitment to the heart health of all Americans," said FDA's Acting Commissioner Stephen Ostroff, M.D. "This action is expected to reduce coronary heart disease and prevent thousands of fatal heart attacks every year.”

Based on a thorough review of the scientific evidence, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration today finalized its determination that partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs), the primary dietary source of artificial trans fat in processed foods, are not “generally recognized as safe” or GRAS for use in human food. Food manufacturers will have three years to remove PHOs from products.

“The FDA’s action on this major source of artificial trans fat demonstrates the agency’s commitment to the heart health of all Americans," said FDA's Acting Commissioner Stephen Ostroff, M.D. "This action is expected to reduce coronary heart disease and prevent thousands of fatal heart attacks every year.”
-____-
Nvm I vote pogo as the winner can we move on now?

Trans fats are created because they're cheap.

Trans fat - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Trans fats, or trans-unsaturated fatty acids, trans fatty acids, are a type of unsaturated fats which are uncommon in nature but became commonly produced industrially from vegetable fats for use in margarine, snack food, packaged baked goods and frying fast food starting in the 1950s.[1][2][3]Trans fat has been shown to consistently be associated, in an intake-dependent way, with risk of coronary heart disease, the leading cause of death.[4]

Trans Fats ARE poison , they are just a poison that our bodies can metabolize up to a certain point.

Any thing taken in too high a quantity will kill you......drink several gallons of water in a short period of time...see how long you live.....dittos alcohol.......

The FDA has determined that no amount of trans fat in our food is safe. And it isn't the only organization that has made that finding. Canada stopped allowing it three years ago. And so did the UK and other European nations.

That's fine, doesn't change the fact that they HAVE proposed a ban

Quote it then, fucking liar.

CBS is also reporting it as a ban.

Nobody characterizes it as a "ban" except in headlines, which notoriously lie. As soon as one peruses the content, in any of these sources, one gets at the truth ---- which is that they are proposing to take trans fats off the GRAS list. That's it -- not "banning" anything.

Nobody should base their position on a headline. Ever. They're meant to be teasers, and they're severely dumbed-down.

The FDA has stated that after three years, PHOs will no longer be allowed in foods. That, to me, is a ban. " Food manufacturers will have three years to remove PHOs from products." That is their statement, verbatim.

That's one sentence, verbatim, out of its context. It means they either remove them, OR show that they're safe as applied.

What they have now is not recognized to be safe, as applied -- because no evidence has ever been presented to make the case. Make it that way (present that missing case), and you can sell all the PHO food you like.

That's what being on the GRAS list means -- that you can put anything that's on that list in your food, without regulation, because as far as anyone knew there wasn't a reason to question it. Now there is. In this case there has been for a long time and the bureaucracy is just now getting to it.

The FDA's own order, to be published tomorrow (sneak preview here) reads, on Page 6, and I quote:

The major provisions of this order are:
  • PHOs are not GRAS for any use in human food.
  • Any interested party may seek food additive approval for one or more specific uses of PHOs with data demonstrating a reasonable certainty of no harm of the proposed use
Which is exactly what I've been saying the whole time. In this thread, in last month's thread, and in the original thread from when FDA opened public comment on it.

Last edited:
Any thing taken in too high a quantity will kill you......drink several gallons of water in a short period of time...see how long you live.....dittos alcohol.......

The FDA has determined that no amount of trans fat in our food is safe. And it isn't the only organization that has made that finding. Canada stopped allowing it three years ago. And so did the UK and other European nations.

Nobody characterizes it as a "ban" except in headlines, which notoriously lie. As soon as one peruses the content, in any of these sources, one gets at the truth ---- which is that they are proposing to take trans fats off the GRAS list. That's it -- not "banning" anything.

Nobody should base their position on a headline. Ever. They're meant to be teasers, and they're severely dumbed-down.
I said it was a fucking ban. All this could have ended a long time ago. But then we'd have nothing to talk about here except bunch of science bullshit on trans fat that no one wants to read unless they're taking this shit super seriously.

-____-

Pandora's Box, Bud. If only there were a way for an OP to close a thread.

I know one method that always works as a thread killer -- flame war. Nobody watches that.

I'll start:

You big poopy head.

-____-

Pandora's Box, Bud. If only there were a way for an OP to close a thread.

I know one method that always works as a thread killer -- flame war. Nobody watches that.

I'll start:

You big poopy head.
I was just about to suggest the OP power but I knownit wouldn't be added because of bitches closing their own threads when it don't go how they want it and I know id close all my threads. Thanks GAIS!

The FDA has stated that after three years, PHOs will no longer be allowed in foods. That, to me, is a ban. " Food manufacturers will have three years to remove PHOs from products." That is their statement, verbatim.

That's one sentence, verbatim, out of its context. It means they either remove them, OR show that they're safe as applied.

What they have now is not recognized to be safe, as applied -- because no evidence has ever been presented to make the case. Make it that way (present that missing case), and you can sell all the PHO food you like.

That's what being on the GRAS list means -- that you can put anything that's on that list in your food, without regulation, because as far as anyone knew there wasn't a reason to question it. Now there is. In this case there has been for a long time and the bureaucracy is just now getting to it.

The FDA's own order, to be published tomorrow (sneak preview here) reads, on Page 6, and I quote:

• Any interested party may seek food additive approval for one or more specific uses of PHOs with data demonstrating a reasonable certainty of no harm of the proposed use
Which is exactly what I've been saying the whole time. In this thread, in last month's thread, and in the original thread from when FDA opened public comment on it.

It isn't out of context. It is the meat and potatoes of their statement, which I posted earlier. Yes, there will be exceptions, but the vast majority of foods that now contain them will no longer be allowed to contain them.

I said it was a fucking ban. All this could have ended a long time ago. But then we'd have nothing to talk about here except bunch of science bullshit on trans fat that no one wants to read unless they're taking this shit super seriously.

I have coronary artery disease, so I do take it seriously. I didn't wait for an FDA ban. I banned it from my diet a long time ago.

It isn't out of context. It is the meat and potatoes of their statement, which I posted earlier. Yes, there will be exceptions, but the vast majority of foods that now contain them will no longer be allowed to contain them.

ANY food can contain them, as long as they're shown to be safe. It's right there in the bold type above. That's why I quoted it, made it bold and a bright color. How can you miss that?

ANY food can contain them, as long as they're shown to be safe. It's right there in the bold type above. That's why I quoted it, made it bold and a bright color. How can you miss that?

I can promise you that most of the food companies aren't going to spend the money verifying that it is safe in their products and/or risk the legal issues of not removing PHOs from their foods. Many have already done removed it, and the FDA sees no problems with the rest of them following suit. They have been required to list it on their labels since 2006 if it is included in their food. That same too late for me, because I had my heart attack in 2008. I carefully look at the labels of every food product I buy today.

These fools can't even decide if eggs are good or bad

The fact that this is an issue for a federal level government agency is quite frankly ludicrous.

I disagree.

When the federal government is paying for so much of what so many eat, the federal government certainly ought be concerned about what it is those people are eating.
ok let them worry about the govt food....not the stuff you can buy if you want.....
How about heroin. Should we be able to buy that if we want?

These fools can't even decide if eggs are good or bad

The fact that this is an issue for a federal level government agency is quite frankly ludicrous.

I disagree.

When the federal government is paying for so much of what so many eat, the federal government certainly ought be concerned about what it is those people are eating.

And that is PRECISELY why we need to dismantle Big Government.

It's nobody's busy body business what anyone else eats. Huge transfer payment systems are just Trojan Horses to destroy Liberty and Privacy.
If children are out eating this food without supervision, it is the government's business. Children need to be protected.

I can promise you that most of the food companies aren't going to spend the money verifying that it is safe in their products and/or risk the legal issues of not removing PHOs from their foods. Many have already done removed it, and the FDA sees no problems with the rest of them following suit. They have been required to list it on their labels since 2006 if it is included in their food. That same too late for me, because I had my heart attack in 2008. I carefully look at the labels of every food product I buy today.

No doubt it will go that way --- but it still isn't a "ban". Whether food companies can or will take the time and trouble in that quest -- that's their problem. But if they do so, successfully, they can use 'em.

Lemme show everybody what an actual ban looks like -- cyclamates, banned in 1970. The legal language from CFR Title 21:

Sec. 189.135 Cyclamate and its derivatives.
(a) Calcium, sodium, magnesium and potassium salts of cyclohexane sulfamic acid, (C6H12NO3S)2Ca, (C6H12NO3S)Na, (C6H12NO3S)2Mg, and (C6H12NO3S)K. Cyclamates are synthetic chemicals having a sweet taste 30 to 40 times that of sucrose, are not found in natural products at levels detectable by the official methodology, and have been used as artificial sweeteners.

(b) Food containing any added or detectable level of cyclamate is deemed to be adulterated in violation of the act based upon an order published in the Federal Register of October 21, 1969 (34 FR 17063).

(c) The analytical methods used for detecting cyclamate in food are in sections 20.162-20.172 of the "Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists," 13th Ed. (1980), which is incorporated by reference. Copies may be obtained from the AOAC INTERNATIONAL, 481 North Frederick Ave., suite 500, Gaithersburg, MD 20877, or may be examined at the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). For information on the availability of this material at NARA, call 202-741-6030, or go to: Code of Federal Regulations Incorporation by Reference

[42 FR 14659, Mar. 15, 1977, as amended at 49 FR 10114, Mar. 19, 1984; 54 FR 24899, June 12, 1989]​

In English, that means you can't use cyclamates in making food. Ever. You can't do a study and go to FDA and say "look, we can show it's cool" and the FDA says "go for it" as you can with trans fats. Until and unless the law changes, cyclamates are right out. For everybody, no exceptions. That's a "ban".

I respect your travails and your knowledge on the subject and wish you sparklingly good health. Keep the faith.

Bullshit.

You wouldn't know science if it bit you in you ass.
heart disease is not, the most common cause of death in the Country?....is that what you are saying?....
Are you illiterate?
apparently you cant answer a question......you said what the guy said was bullshit.....if it is lets see you prove it....because i can show you plenty of stuff saying Heart Disease is the no 1 cause of death in this Country...
Your reading comprehension problem is very severe.

Your conversation skills seem to be at the level of a four year old. Does your mommy know you are on her computer?
the fucker wont answer what i thought was a reasonable question to ask him....i wonder if it was too tough for him to answer...
scratchchin.gif

heart disease is not, the most common cause of death in the Country?....is that what you are saying?....
Are you illiterate?
apparently you cant answer a question......you said what the guy said was bullshit.....if it is lets see you prove it....because i can show you plenty of stuff saying Heart Disease is the no 1 cause of death in this Country...
Your reading comprehension problem is very severe.

Your conversation skills seem to be at the level of a four year old. Does your mommy know you are on her computer?
the fucker wont answer what i thought was a reasonable question to ask him....i wonder if it was too tough for him to answer...
scratchchin.gif
The answer is no. Obviously.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back