FDR Admiration Society

FDR found ways to put the unemployed to work building so much infrastructure that today, over 75 years later, much of it is still being used. Of course, all of the infrastructures were built by unemployed workers. They got paychecks, but the checks came indirectly or directly from US Government programs and projects, hence, they were relief workers and therefore listed today, especially by anti-FDR folks, as rhe same as welfare recipients, thus, unemployed. People back then knew those working on the infrastructure projects were not unemployed.

Seven Years?
Now you are just getting silly

Depression ended in 1939. Seven years would have ended it in 1932
FDR did not take office until March 1933
REad the article

Two UCLA economists say they have figured out why the Great Depression dragged on for almost 15 years, and they blame a suspect previously thought to be beyond reproach: President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

After scrutinizing Roosevelt's record for four years, Harold L. Cole and Lee E. Ohanian conclude in a new study that New Deal policies signed into law 71 years ago thwarted economic recovery for seven long years.

"Why the Great Depression lasted so long has always been a great mystery, and because we never really knew the reason, we have always worried whether we would have another 10- to 15-year economic slump," said Ohanian, vice chair of UCLA's Department of Economics. "We found that a relapse isn't likely unless lawmakers gum up a recovery with ill-conceived stimulus policies."

In an article in the August issue of the Journal of Political Economy, Ohanian and Cole blame specific anti-competition and pro-labor measures that Roosevelt promoted and signed into law June 16, 1933.

Without the policies, they contend that the Depression would have ended in 1936 instead of the year when they believe the slump actually ended: 1943.

Anti-FDR folks always lose these discussions/debates. The reason, they have ideas and opinions, thoughts and views. Pro-FDR folks have tangible real provable things that can not be denied, People are still driving on the bridges, highways, and through the tunnels. Many people still use rhe local Post Offices built in the 1930's

FDR found ways to put the unemployed to work building so much infrastructure that today, over 75 years later, much of it is still being used. Of course, all of the infrastructures were built by unemployed workers. They got paychecks, but the checks came indirectly or directly from US Government programs and projects, hence, they were relief workers and therefore listed today, especially by anti-FDR folks, as rhe same as welfare recipients, thus, unemployed. People back then knew those working on the infrastructure projects were not unemployed.
Visit any national park and you can see their handiwork

Anti-FDR folks always lose these discussions/debates. The reason, they have ideas and opinions, thoughts and views. Pro-FDR folks have tangible real provable things that can not be denied, People are still driving on the bridges, highways, and through the tunnels. M

Yeah FDR t

The guy who thought too much competition is what caused the great depression and allowed levels of corporate collusion that you would all be throwing tantrums about if a republican did it

Was that the whole UCLA Economics Department that arrived at that conclusion? Did other university economics departments agree with the findings? Did the History Department agree with the decision?
Why didn't FDR simply follow the Depression plan the economists had laid out?
If I remember there was no depression plan from economists and the Republican plan was "balance the budget."

Seven Years?
Now you are just getting silly

Depression ended in 1939. Seven years would have ended it in 1932
FDR did not take office until March 1933
REad the article

Two UCLA economists say they have figured out why the Great Depression dragged on for almost 15 years, and they blame a suspect previously thought to be beyond reproach: President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

After scrutinizing Roosevelt's record for four years, Harold L. Cole and Lee E. Ohanian conclude in a new study that New Deal policies signed into law 71 years ago thwarted economic recovery for seven long years.

"Why the Great Depression lasted so long has always been a great mystery, and because we never really knew the reason, we have always worried whether we would have another 10- to 15-year economic slump," said Ohanian, vice chair of UCLA's Department of Economics. "We found that a relapse isn't likely unless lawmakers gum up a recovery with ill-conceived stimulus policies."

In an article in the August issue of the Journal of Political Economy, Ohanian and Cole blame specific anti-competition and pro-labor measures that Roosevelt promoted and signed into law June 16, 1933.

Without the policies, they contend that the Depression would have ended in 1936 instead of the year when they believe the slump actually ended: 1943.
Two professors wrote a magazine article. No one of standing has ever given it much attention. Only an opinionated magazine article that got laughed at.

Pathetically stupid thesis rejected and mocked by everyone and anyone with a lick of education and common sense.

Except for the UCLA economists who I daresay are smarter than you

Obviously they are not if they think FDR could have ended the Depression before he even took office

Roosevelt was elected in 1932 the Depression did not end until 1943

I don't know how you can say it ended in 1939 when unemployment in 1939 was HIGHER than it was when FDR took office

Shit FDR's own treasury secretary, Henry Morgenthau, said as much when he said, " “We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. . . . I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. . . . And an enormous debt to boot!”"

And read the article

Cole and Ohanian calculate that NIRA and its aftermath account for 60 percent of the weak recovery. Without the policies, they contend that the Depression would have ended in 1936 instead of the year when they believe the slump actually ended: 1943.

Was that the whole UCLA Economics Department that arrived at that conclusion? Did other university economics departments agree with the findings? Did the History Department agree with the decision?
Why didn't FDR simply follow the Depression plan the economists had laid out?
If I remember there was no depression plan from economists and the Republican plan was "balance the budget."

There are many others who agree as there are plenty of books and articles that say FDR prolonged the Depression

The guys at UCLA just used data that others didn't use

Pathetically stupid thesis rejected and mocked by everyone and anyone with a lick of education and common sense.

Not smarter than the other economists who dismissed their thesis as drivel.

LINK

Obviously they are not if they think FDR could have ended the Depression before he even took office

I don't know how you can say it ended in 1939 when unemployment in 1939 was HIGHER than it was when FDR took office

Shit FDR's own treasury secretary, Henry Morgenthau, said as much when he said, " “We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. . . . I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. . . . And an enormous debt to boot!”"

And read the article

Cole and Ohanian calculate that NIRA and its aftermath account for 60 percent of the weak recovery. Without the policies, they contend that the Depression would have ended in 1936 instead of the year when they believe the slump actually ended: 1943.
1943? Are you kidding?
In the middle of WWII?

The Depression ended in late 1938 with positive economic growth
It is GDP (GNP) that determines when a depression end ps

And read the article

1943? Are you kidding?
In the middle of WWII?

You're as wrong as Krugman

When FDR came into office the Great Depression had been going on for four years. Banks had been closed and bank insurance did not exist. Doors were closed and locked and you could not get your money. Your money was gone forever. FDR changed that and made it a thing of the past.

joseph-stalin.jpg

"Yes, I love FDR. Good boy. Let me command US forces in WWII. Gave me Eastern Europe, Bulgaria. What a guy"

And read the article

1943? Are you kidding?
In the middle of WWII?

So why was unemployment higher in 39 than 33?

In fact FDR', NIRA act was deemed unconstitutional and later reinvented but still allowed collusion that before FDR was illegal and that collusion is still illegal today

And read the article

Give us a link beside the dopey one by from rhe magazine article proclaiming the Depression ended in 1943. Also, provide one that says unemployment was rhe same in or higher in 1939 as it was in 1933. By rhe way, FDR was not the President in 1932. He was not inaugurated until March 4, 1933. You can't even get that right.

joseph-stalin.jpg

"Yes, I love FDR. Good boy. Let me command US forces in WWII. Gave me Eastern Europe, Bulgaria. What a guy"

How can anyone actually believe that a guy who's plan was to reduce competition and raise prices didn't prolong the Depression?

Forum List

Back