Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

Yep...whiners complain about people not working...then they get a job with good pay and benefits....and the whiners are still mad. Never ends.

Government is no place for unions.
why?.....do they have wonderful bosses who treat everyone nice?....no workers get fucked over by those wonderful bosses?....hey just asking...
Government is our servant and serve the people. You ever go to a Social Security office? Rude nasty arrogant jackals.
not what i was talking about....do government workers have great bosses who are always fair?.....does the government stand behind workers who are being treated like shit?....does the government make sure working conditions are up to standard?...thats what i am asking...
There are good and bad bosses in government just like anywhere else.

The union said employees can’t be forced to work without pay.

Yep, that's right, so do the prudent thing and quit, let's see how you fare in the private sector where results matter and excuses don't.

#NoSympathyForGovernmentDrones
would you work without pay fox?....just asking...

No but then again I'm not a mindless government drone that is overpaid even when working without pay.
you must be a little mindless yourself to think all govt workers are "mindless drones"....

The right to get paid for your labor
They aren't being denied that right. In fact, they're getting a paid vacation.

What about the 400,000 who are being forced to work without pay?
They're gonna get paid eventually, so in reality they're getting a paid vacation. Tell Chuck and Nancy to get back to Washington and work out a deal. Trump is in the White House while they're off laying around drinking martinis.
its not a vacation if you are WORKING without pay....but yes they will get reimbursed...
Then it is a paid vacation.
how the hell is it a paid vacation if you still have to get up and go to work?...

A union representing federal workers sued the government Monday over the partial shutdown, saying it was illegal to have hundreds of thousands of employees work without pay during the funding lapse.

The American Federation of Government Employees filed the lawsuit on the shutdown’s 10th day, with no signs of an imminent resolution between Congress and the White House. The union said withholding the pay of workers who continue to clock in during the shutdown runs afoul of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Great Depression-era law establishing a minimum wage and overtime pay.

“This is not an acceptable way for any employer, let alone the U.S. government, to treat its employees,” Heidi Burakiewicz, a lawyer representing the workers, said in a statement. “These employees still need to pay childcare expenses, buy gas, and incur other expenses to go to work every day and yet, they are not getting paid. It is a blatant violation.”

Some 380,000 federal employees have been furloughed during the shutdown, meaning they are out of a job until lawmakers reach a funding agreement. But another 420,000 are continuing to work in “essential” capacities such as in law enforcement, but are not being paid.

After previous shutdowns, Congress has passed legislation to retroactively pay furloughed employees and those who worked through the closures. But in the meantime, all those workers have bills to pay. Those who don’t have deep enough savings will face some hard choices if the shutdown continues to grind on.

AFGE previously sued the government under the same claims after the 2013 shutdown, which lasted 16 days. A judge later ruled that around 25,000 workers were owed double pay due to damages.

More: Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

Sounds reasonable to me. What do you think?

Controlling who and what enters a community is the most basic function of good governance.

Only an enemy of the community could be against that.
there is no express wall building clause.

Don't care. Your loyalty lies with the invaders, and not your fellow citizens.
:71:

danielpalous is a racist Mexican who had sided with a Mexican child rapist over his American victim.

Unless you are a monster, you should support my attack on him.

If you do not, that is on you.
danny is a dumbass who thinks Ellis island is on our southern border...

Yep, that's right, so do the prudent thing and quit, let's see how you fare in the private sector where results matter and excuses don't.

No but then again I'm not a mindless government drone that is overpaid even when working without pay.
you must be a little mindless yourself to think all govt workers are "mindless drones"....

Uh-huh, when I find one that doesn't fit that moniker I'll be the first to admit that there's at least one in the hive with a working brain.

In the meantime, the fact remains, the mindless government drones need me a lot more than I need them, so they can all take a permanent unpaid vacation as far as I'm concerned.

Government is no place for unions.
why?.....do they have wonderful bosses who treat everyone nice?....no workers get fucked over by those wonderful bosses?....hey just asking...
Government is our servant and serve the people. You ever go to a Social Security office? Rude nasty arrogant jackals.
not what i was talking about....do government workers have great bosses who are always fair?.....does the government stand behind workers who are being treated like shit?....does the government make sure working conditions are up to standard?...thats what i am asking...
There are good and bad bosses in government just like anywhere else.
that need someone to intervene for them when that happens....like a union....because in all my years in govt,no one else came to their defense...no one....

You think you're getting your SS check? :71:
Of course I'm getting my Social Security check. Why wouldn't I and everyone on Social Security get their checks? Dum Dum.
So you are dependent on government workers....workers that currently are not being paid to send you your check.
Man, you're really thick. I'm NOT dependent. I got my check. Idiot.
And no one should...the government workers processing checks should go home until paid. Right? You don't need them, right?
Yep, don't need them. It's all automated. Moron.
Sure it is.....:71: Sure it is.

Uh-huh, when I find one that doesn't fit that moniker I'll be the first to admit that there's at least one in the hive with a working brain.

In the meantime, the fact remains, the mindless government drones need me a lot more than I need them, so they can all take a permanent unpaid vacation as far as I'm concerned.
im sure many of them would say that about you and whatever industry you work in.....

Blame the Democrats, if they had helped pass a 2019 budget, none of this would be happening.
Nope...tiny trump owns this....in his own words...he owns this.

He owns standing up to the Democrats lack of concern over border security.
Yea...that is about right

We have many, many better things we could spend our money on
More shrimp running on treadmill studies.........LOL

I didn't post the waste numbers on this thread........did on another........Our Great Congress and Senate pissing money into the toilet.........like always.

81% of Americans want border security, we differ on how that is accomplished.

59% say spending money on a stupid wall that will not work is not the best way to improve border security.
Where are those 59%? Why aren't they donating to the GFM account to help pay for the Wall?
Squawk....squawk...the sky is falling.....you're not going to get your Social Security check....squawk.....squawk....the sky is falling. Idiot.
No one should. The government is shut down....those who process checks should go home and not report to work if they are not being paid.
Poor sad little tyke. The technology makes sure government works without your drones.
Sure, honey....:71:

A union representing federal workers sued the government Monday over the partial shutdown, saying it was illegal to have hundreds of thousands of employees work without pay during the funding lapse.

The American Federation of Government Employees filed the lawsuit on the shutdown’s 10th day, with no signs of an imminent resolution between Congress and the White House. The union said withholding the pay of workers who continue to clock in during the shutdown runs afoul of the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Great Depression-era law establishing a minimum wage and overtime pay.

“This is not an acceptable way for any employer, let alone the U.S. government, to treat its employees,” Heidi Burakiewicz, a lawyer representing the workers, said in a statement. “These employees still need to pay childcare expenses, buy gas, and incur other expenses to go to work every day and yet, they are not getting paid. It is a blatant violation.”

Some 380,000 federal employees have been furloughed during the shutdown, meaning they are out of a job until lawmakers reach a funding agreement. But another 420,000 are continuing to work in “essential” capacities such as in law enforcement, but are not being paid.

After previous shutdowns, Congress has passed legislation to retroactively pay furloughed employees and those who worked through the closures. But in the meantime, all those workers have bills to pay. Those who don’t have deep enough savings will face some hard choices if the shutdown continues to grind on.

AFGE previously sued the government under the same claims after the 2013 shutdown, which lasted 16 days. A judge later ruled that around 25,000 workers were owed double pay due to damages.

More: Federal Employee Union Sues Government Over Shutdown, Alleging Wage Violations

Controlling who and what enters a community is the most basic function of good governance.

Only an enemy of the community could be against that.
there is no express wall building clause.

Don't care. Your loyalty lies with the invaders, and not your fellow citizens.

danielpalous is a racist Mexican who had sided with a Mexican child rapist over his American victim.

Unless you are a monster, you should support my attack on him.

If you do not, that is on you.
:cryhug_1_: Poor thing....did someone call you names?

Which is why we should get rid of unions in the government.

Because they are arguing that people should get paid for their work....how dare them.

I am anti-union as they come, but that is just stupid.

So who's not getting paid? They will all get paid; perhaps not timely, but will get paid.
I'm sure their debtors such as their landlords or mortgage companies have no problem with that.

If you are living check to check and have no backup money, then maybe you're too irresponsible to be working for the public. When you take a government job, you know things like this are bound to happen from time to time.
ray those working for the government are no different than those working private,they are people who took a job that was offered to feed their family and pay the bills....

Understood, but many jobs have drawbacks that have to be considered. My father is a retired bricklayer. You can't lay brick in the winter, so every winter you go on unemployment which at the time, didn't pay what it does today. So my father worked seven days a week (when possible) during the working season to save up for a long cold winter. He was supporting a family of five.

A close friend of mine that I've known since a kid gave me a call asking if the company I work for was looking for any drivers? He had a fantastic job as a school bus driver with good pay and benefits. The problem was, every time a school levy failed, the first people laid off were the bus drivers. At times, it takes months to get a levy passed if at all. So finally he got sick of it and took a job where I work.

What I'm saying is that when you take a job, you are well aware of the negative parts that you will likely encounter at some time during your employment. However the way these people on the left are talking about these poor government workers, it's like this never happened before and they had no idea what hit them.

If I had a job that depended on taxpayers, I would make sure I had a hell of a nest egg. I would get credit that had a large enough limit to get me through several months if need be. Right now if I lost my job, I would be comfortable for several months. If I knew I was getting backpay, I could go for six months not working.

The Dirty Democrats have thrown the Federal Employees under the bus and the illegal aliens, the racist aztlan nationalist, human traffickers, gangs and drug cartels in the bus.

I believe that the Court needs to order Chuck and Nancy to get the Wall built so these federal employees can be paid.

If they refuse to move it through, fine and jail those two.
Of course....jail them on what charges? Or is that unnecessary now in trump-Amerika?

How about Contempt of Court?

If the court determines the current situation is unlawful, and orders the matter resolved, then its up to Chuck and Nancy who are obstructing to act.

Because they are arguing that people should get paid for their work....how dare them.

I am anti-union as they come, but that is just stupid.

So who's not getting paid? They will all get paid; perhaps not timely, but will get paid.

Once again...The lawsuit is about those that are still going work and not being properly compensated for their work as was agreed upon in their employment contract.
They want to ignore that fact, you know.
Write Chuck and Nancy and tell them to make a deal so people can get back to work, pus nose.
It is Trumps temper tantrum

Give me what I want or I will punish federal workers

Give him what he wants and what will he do next time he doesn’t get his way
It's called a VETO..........as prescribed in the Constitution..........Power of the purse .........oh well.

Interesting how you want to deny your own orange master's words....don't you feel like Peter denying Jesus 3 times?
Pitiful. You even pulled out the old Democrat scare tactic about not getting our Social Security checks. What a pitiful creature.
So...you rant against government workers...the very workers who are working non-pay to process and send you your Social Security check. They should go home and not work til paid.
Lie. Now you're making shit up. You really are a pathetic pitiful kunt.
Ah....never did understand why trumpanzees get labelled as misogynists.....it's a puzzlement. Just like it's a puzzle that you want our government workers gone......as long as you get your SS check....:71:
I'm sure you don't understand a lot of things. You obviously are befuddled that myself and many others aren't giving in to your guilt trip and coercion. We understand the Democrat game of using government drones for political purposes. You can't scare us anymore by threatening to withhold our Social Security, etc. Go peddle your propaganda to some naive college kids.

81% of Americans want border security, we differ on how that is accomplished.

59% say spending money on a stupid wall that will not work is not the best way to improve border security.
Where are those 59%? Why aren't they donating to the GFM account to help pay for the Wall?

What a stupid question. Why would anyone donate to a wall they think is a dumb idea?
But they swear it's an excellent idea....why aren't more trumpanzees donating? They haven't even gotten a million trumpanzees to donate yet.

I love to see right wingers throw their money away. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump had some scam to pocket the money for himself.

Right, the guy is a multi-billionaire and he's looking for ways to steal government money.

rolling eyes.gif

1. Will excepted employees be paid for performing work during a shutdown furlough? If so, when will excepted employees receive such payments?

A. Agencies will incur obligations to pay for services performed by excepted employees during a lapse in appropriations, and those employees will be paid after Congress passes and the President signs a new appropriation or continuing resolution.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-ove...-guidance/guidance-for-shutdown-furloughs.pdf

Yes we are paid after the funding is passed.

However the people that don’t work usually get paid too and basically get a free vacation without taking leave.

Which is one of the reasons a shutdown is so fucking stupid. It just waste more money...
All Dems have to do is throw the GOP $5B and it’s over, but Dems aren’t very smart.
Why would they, when Mexico's paying the $5B?

Seems to me all trump has to do is realize that a large majority of this nation doesn't want that wall.

The democrats are doing what the majority of the people in this nation want.

His election said we did want that wall. Polls are usually manipulated. Trump doesn't conduct himself according to polls.

I just read a piece where, after the breakup of the Soviet Union, Estonia was a total mess and had to completely reinvent their government.

They turned to computer technology and have eliminated almost all government positions that are not elected ones. If you have a child, you register him or her electronically. No longer need to visit a government office for the vast majority of everyday business.

How Estonia became a global model for e-government @ How Estonia became a global model for e-government – Sidewalk Talk – Medium

No more paperwork: Estonia edges toward digital government @ No more paperwork: Estonia edges toward digital government

Forum List

Back