Federal Prisons rescind book restrictions for inmates.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
I saw this story on Facebook, but as life happens, couldn’t comment about it here as I was busy. Since then, the Federal Prisons have rescinded the order while they evaluate the policies.

Federal prisons abruptly cancel policy that made it harder, costlier for inmates to get books

Prisoners have been able to get books from relatives, and where there were security issues or concerns, the prisoners could still get books sent from retailers like Amazon. These books would be shipped directly from the retailer making it highly improbable that the books would be used to smuggle things in. I mean, how do you arrange it some someone at the warehouse could hide a packet of drugs or a thin weapon in a book? Possible, but very unlikely.

The Bureau of Prisons decided to limit the prisoners to one book provider, and charge them a 30% markup on the price. A tax of about one third the cost.

Let’s be honest. Studies have shown that the better educated an individual is the less likely that individual is to become a repeat offender. So if our goal is to reduce recidivism then we have to encourage education as part of the incarceration. Restricting that increases the likelihood of the person becoming a repeat offender, and returning to prison. Reading is fundamental to increasing knowledge.

An Exploration of the Relationship Between Recidivism and Education

It doesn’t cost the taxpayers anything to let the prisoners get books. It will in all likelihood reduce the number of repeat offenders and thus reduce the burden on the taxpayers.

I saw this story on Facebook, but as life happens, couldn’t comment about it here as I was busy. Since then, the Federal Prisons have rescinded the order while they evaluate the policies.

Federal prisons abruptly cancel policy that made it harder, costlier for inmates to get books

Prisoners have been able to get books from relatives, and where there were security issues or concerns, the prisoners could still get books sent from retailers like Amazon. These books would be shipped directly from the retailer making it highly improbable that the books would be used to smuggle things in. I mean, how do you arrange it some someone at the warehouse could hide a packet of drugs or a thin weapon in a book? Possible, but very unlikely.

The Bureau of Prisons decided to limit the prisoners to one book provider, and charge them a 30% markup on the price. A tax of about one third the cost.

Let’s be honest. Studies have shown that the better educated an individual is the less likely that individual is to become a repeat offender. So if our goal is to reduce recidivism then we have to encourage education as part of the incarceration. Restricting that increases the likelihood of the person becoming a repeat offender, and returning to prison. Reading is fundamental to increasing knowledge.

An Exploration of the Relationship Between Recidivism and Education

It doesn’t cost the taxpayers anything to let the prisoners get books. It will in all likelihood reduce the number of repeat offenders and thus reduce the burden on the taxpayers.

Agreed. I would do away with most perks now served up in prison, but books aren't one of them. If you're doing time, educate yourself and better your condition.

I can see the concern about books. Pretty easy to soak the corner of a page in almost any substance. I don't know what the simple answer might be, but books could be the key to a new life for lots of prisoners.

• Banned
I can see the concern about books. Pretty easy to soak the corner of a page in almost any substance. I don't know what the simple answer might be, but books could be the key to a new life for lots of prisoners.

I agree, that books from family could be used to smuggle contraband into the prison in any number of creative ways. Although these days, the most common method is a drone dropping shit over the fence.

However, the idea that you can stop that by only allowing one retailer to provide books, at a huge markup, is ridiculous.

Another program, that the BOP has not ended was email. The Prisoners have access to email. However, they are limited to who they can add. Ok, fine, a good security precaution. The problem becomes when only one person in the prison is allowed to add a advocacy group, or lawyer. The second person to attempt to add this individual, is denied. Ministers, not exempted.

There has to be a point where common sense breaks out. If a Minister does a lot of work with Prisoners, then let everyone who wants to email him. It’s not like the email is not going to be screened by guards. If a literacy group allows prisoners to write and request books, then let everyone write them.

Anything we can do to reduce the cost to taxpayers, while reducing the probability of the convict returning to prison is worth a shot. Unless of course, the Ministers are suspected of carrying information to third parties regarding criminal activity. In that case you would want more people emailing him, to get evidence of wrongdoing, so you can see the entire pipeline closed.

The logic of it is shaky, and it comes down to a truism. Somebody was lobbied to give one book seller a corner on the market. When it was found out, then nobody knew what had caused it, but we can review it. In a year or so they will decide to put it back in force, hoping that nobody will notice.

I agree, that books from family could be used to smuggle contraband into the prison in any number of creative ways. Although these days, the most common method is a drone dropping shit over the fence.

However, the idea that you can stop that by only allowing one retailer to provide books, at a huge markup, is ridiculous.

Another program, that the BOP has not ended was email. The Prisoners have access to email. However, they are limited to who they can add. Ok, fine, a good security precaution. The problem becomes when only one person in the prison is allowed to add a advocacy group, or lawyer. The second person to attempt to add this individual, is denied. Ministers, not exempted.

There has to be a point where common sense breaks out. If a Minister does a lot of work with Prisoners, then let everyone who wants to email him. It’s not like the email is not going to be screened by guards. If a literacy group allows prisoners to write and request books, then let everyone write them.

Anything we can do to reduce the cost to taxpayers, while reducing the probability of the convict returning to prison is worth a shot. Unless of course, the Ministers are suspected of carrying information to third parties regarding criminal activity. In that case you would want more people emailing him, to get evidence of wrongdoing, so you can see the entire pipeline closed.

The logic of it is shaky, and it comes down to a truism. Somebody was lobbied to give one book seller a corner on the market. When it was found out, then nobody knew what had caused it, but we can review it. In a year or so they will decide to put it back in force, hoping that nobody will notice.

Prisons have a hard job dealing with a population who has all the time in the world to try to figure out how to break the rules, and I can understand them wanting to use every control method possible, but there has to be a reasonable way for prisoners to read books. I'm just glad it's not my job to figure that way out.

Dude their is a reason why they are in jail, I remember when I got locked up, all they played was depressing 80s love songs..

Listen to this non stop..

Dude their is a reason why they are in jail, I remember when I got locked up, all they played was depressing 80s love songs..

I'll bet that's when you and your cellmate just snuggled up and had a good cry.

I'll bet that's when you and your cellmate just snuggled up and had a good cry.

No, I will always say the only place you can get 4 guys together at 5 am and play a great hand of gin rummey..

I used to love jail, it was like a vacation for me....you get to meet people you would never have the chance to talk to on the outside.

Forum List

Back