Feinstein: Veterans can’t be trusted with firearms

ignoring ptsd - a very real problem - why should a person's veteran status make them exemptions to any rule?

The Violence Policy Center has previously advocated that the police should not be allowed to take their police issued handgun home with them because:

1.) They have a higher rate of suicide; and,
2.) They have a higher rate of domestic abuse.

ignoring ptsd - a very real problem - why should a person's veteran status make them exemptions to any rule?

If you think of it as a special benefit afforded to Veterans the whole nature of your question changes, as we provide special benefits to vets all the time. I agree that PTSD should not be ignored, nor should it be assumed.

As an aside, the AWB has almost zero chance of pasing, so this is academic.

Alright....let's go through this...again!

The subject at hand was not Veterans, per se, but Veteran's who have been deemed incompetent to handle their own affairs. In other words, Veteran's who can't manage their own finances or personal lives and who have had people appointed to make decisions for them.

They do not have the right to possess firearms and haven't for a very, very long time.

Nutjob veterans should not be trusted with firearms

As far back as Clinton the government issued a warning about Veterans being potential terrorists. The ironic thing is that the history of domestic terrorism includes the draft dodging left wing. Tim McVeigh's political agenda is unclear but we know where Bill Ayers stands. McVeigh was executed but Ayers walks among us thanks to a friendly federal judge.

If you think of it as a special benefit afforded to Veterans the whole nature of your question changes, as we provide special benefits to vets all the time. I agree that PTSD should not be ignored, nor should it be assumed.

special benefits - but we're not talking about special mortgages or tuition assistance.

we're talking about allowing veterans to do something expressly forbidden for the rest of society.

i don't know of any 'special benefit' that would fall in that category.

The man who shot up the Sikh temple was a vet.

However, the Feinstein article specifies retired veterans, not all veterans. A retired veteran is one who served 20 or more years on active duty, like myself. ;)

The call was for retired veterans to be exempted from an assault weapons ban.

I don't think we see any retired vets shooting up temples or schools or whatnot.

Last edited:
The problem is what the nutjob left considers to be "nutjob". In the brave new world of progressive politics you can bet your ass(ets) that joining a benign organization like the Tea Party will be considered "nutjob" but participating in the drug fest known as OWS will be a recommendation to own a firearm.

special benefits - but we're not talking about special mortgages or tuition assistance.

we're talking about allowing veterans to do something expressly forbidden for the rest of society.

i don't know of any 'special benefit' that would fall in that category.

Incorrect as the proposed AWB specifically exempts governmental officials such as the police Somewhat irrelvant anyway since the AWB will not passs, so essentially we are have a semantic argument which will not matter anyway. Based on the foregoing, I will totally concede your point.

The man who shot up the Sikh temple was a vet.

However, the Feinstein article specifies retired veterans, not all veterans. A retired veteran is one who served 20 or more years on active duty, like myself. ;)

The call was for retired veterans to be exempted from an assault weapons ban.

I don't think we see any retired vets shooting up temples or schools or whatnot.

i believe retired- in this sense - meant no longer in the service.

could be wrong though

I think PTSD is going to be a much bigger issue for vets than it has been in the past. We have men who have done five, six, seven, eight combat tours and who have been in modern warfare for a decade.

That is a huge divergence from wars of the past, and is going to take a serious toll.

And I imagine the people of entire nations like Iraq, Pakistan, and Afghanistan have collective PTSD.

We all need to do what we can to hold up our men and women who have served. Whether it is a shoulder to lean or cry on, or a hand to slap on the back and buy a round with, or an ear to lend, everyone needs to show their understanding and gratitude to these guys.

Forum List

Back