Felon who sold illegal rifle to gang gets bail on gun charge, this is the problem, not guns...

Bail doesn't mean he won't go to prison at trial. :dunno:

Was the gun stolen?

If so, that's armed burglary. Is he charged with that?
exactly. if Im on th ejury, Im voting not guilty on the felon in possession, builty on trafficking in stolen property, guilty of theft, guilty for everything else

Since this is federal, he will likely plead out.

The anti gunners keep saying that normal, law abiding gun owners are the problem with gun crime....

And they are lying.....or they are dumb...one of the two....

This is the problem with gun violence...

This felon should have been held without bail....and when he is convicted he needs to go to prison for 30 years....

Notice....in California, they are now letting guys like this out of jail...that is, the anti-gun, democrats are allowing criminals like this out of jail....that is why we have gun crime in this country....

Man who sold gun used to shoot 2 cops released on $4,500 bond: sources

A man who sources say sold an assault rifle to gang members — which was then used to shoot two Chicago Police officers last May — was released from federal custody on a $4,500 bond on Wednesday.

Charles Williams was arrested and charged in federal court last week with possession of a firearm by a felon. On Wednesday, Magistrate Judge Young B. Kim ordered him released on $4,500, court records show.

In Williams’ indictment, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives detailed how he allegedly sold another gun to a criminal informant in a parking garage in west suburban La Grange. Though the source said he is suspected of selling the assault rifle to the La Raza gang,
he was never charged in connection to the shooting of the two officers.

I take it you are advocating denying his bail because of a crime with which he has not been charged?

I suggest reviewing the 8th Amendment before pontificating further.

He is a felon caught in possession of a stolen gun...that is grounds to keep him without bail...past record, the serious nature of the crime....

Where did it say the gun was stolen? I must have missed that.

Regardless, simply being in possession of a firearm is not just cause for no bail. I doubt many judges would deny bail on something that relatively small.

Besides, he could just appeal to a higher court and get bail. You did review the 8th Amendment, right?

If you are a felon, it is.

Sorry! That is still not enough reason to deny him bail. Remember, this is a federal court. Many times they accept a property bond instead of cash.

Sorry.....yes, it is. This is not exessive bail.....it is a felony for a felon to have an illegal gun. The majority of people doing the shooting are felons caught with illegal guns, therefore not granting him bail is warranted....he isn't john q. citizen with a clean record caught with a gun and not having the paperwork filled out. This guy is a career criminal caught with an illegal gun......bail should have been denied.

I take it you are advocating denying his bail because of a crime with which he has not been charged?

He is a felon caught in possession of a stolen gun...that is grounds to keep him without bail...past record, the serious nature of the crime....

Regardless, simply being in possession of a firearm is not just cause for no bail. I doubt many judges would deny bail on something that relatively small.

Besides, he could just appeal to a higher court and get bail. You did review the 8th Amendment, right?

Sorry! That is still not enough reason to deny him bail. Remember, this is a federal court. Many times they accept a property bond instead of cash.

Sorry.....yes, it is. This is not exessive bail.....it is a felony for a felon to have an illegal gun. The majority of people doing the shooting are felons caught with illegal guns, therefore not granting him bail is warranted....he isn't john q. citizen with a clean record caught with a gun and not having the paperwork filled out. This guy is a career criminal caught with an illegal gun......bail should have been denied.

Denying bail is excessive bail. Where did it say he was a career criminal? Unless you have evidence that he is planning on skipping bail, he should be required to put up bail and be released.

Our jail cells now are filled to overflowing with people who cannot raise bail. You want to add to the problem?

When he commits another crime or skips bail, then put him UNDER the jail.

Denying bail is excessive bail. Where did it say he was a career criminal? Unless you have evidence that he is planning on skipping bail, he should be required to put up bail and be released.

Our jail cells now are filled to overflowing with people who cannot raise bail. You want to add to the problem?

Someone who we now know is the guy who supplied the gun to La Raza gang members who shot and wounded police......he is a felon caught with an illegal gun......sorry, no bail for you.

You can give bail to the guy up on bank fraud charges.....who has a family, and no prior record....a violent felon caught with an illegal gun?....no bail.

first and foremost....if the guy is too dangerous to have a gun in his possession, he is too dangerous to not be in jail. Secondly, bail is just money to insure one shows up for court. Unless he has shown signs that he wont show for court, being that until such time as he is convicted in court, he is still an innocent man intheeyes of the law, it is going to be hard for said court to legitamately deny him bail.

if that were the case, anyone who has previous felony convictions could be denied bail on that basis alone, no matter the charge. The bail does seem a bit low, though. It could be that he has had dealings with this particular court before, and had honored his bail on another charge.

We aren't talking a felon for bank fraud, we are talking a violent felon with an illegal gun...

You keep posting crap that is not in your links!

How do you know he was a violent felon?

first and foremost....if the guy is too dangerous to have a gun in his possession, he is too dangerous to not be in jail. Secondly, bail is just money to insure one shows up for court. Unless he has shown signs that he wont show for court, being that until such time as he is convicted in court, he is still an innocent man intheeyes of the law, it is going to be hard for said court to legitamately deny him bail.

No...he isn't an innocent man, he is a convicted felon....likely with a long criminal history which means he is a menace to his community which has has shown by being caught with an illegal gun......

Someone who we now know is the guy who supplied the gun to La Raza gang members who shot and wounded police......he is a felon caught with an illegal gun......sorry, no bail for you.

That is what you have to prove in court! That is not a reason for denying bail! In fact, he was not charged with supplying the gun! He was charged for supplying another gun by the ATF.

Are there any more made-up facts you would like to use before admitting you are wrong?

The anti gunners keep saying that normal, law abiding gun owners are the problem with gun crime....

This felon should have been held without bail....and when he is convicted he needs to go to prison for 30 years....

Notice....in California, they are now letting guys like this out of jail...that is, the anti-gun, democrats are allowing criminals like this out of jail....that is why we have gun crime in this country....

A man who sources say sold an assault rifle to gang members — which was then used to shoot two Chicago Police officers last May — was released from federal custody on a $4,500 bond on Wednesday.

Charles Williams was arrested and charged in federal court last week with possession of a firearm by a felon. On Wednesday, Magistrate Judge Young B. Kim ordered him released on $4,500, court records show.

In Williams’ indictment, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives detailed how he allegedly sold another gun to a criminal informant in a parking garage in west suburban La Grange. Though the source said he is suspected of selling the assault rifle to the La Raza gang,

If you are a convicted felon and you are in possession of a gun you are indeed committing yet another felony.

No Bail. Long sentence. No parole. PERIOD.

if that were the case, anyone who has previous felony convictions could be denied bail on that basis alone, no matter the charge. The bail does seem a bit low, though. It could be that he has had dealings with this particular court before, and had honored his bail on another charge.

We aren't talking a felon for bank fraud, we are talking a violent felon with an illegal gun...

Here you go.....he was convicted of First Degree Murder...that is just one of his convictions....he was also caught in an undercover sting where he admitted on video of supplying the weapons used to shoot police officers.....

This is why he should not be let out on bail......
Judge asked to reconsider bond for man who allegedly sold rifle used in cop shooting

Williams was convicted in 1998 of first-degree murder and sentenced to 30 years in Illinois state prison, according to the complaint. Details of that crime were not immediately available.

-------

In the filing Friday, prosecutors alleged Williams acknowledged in an interview with federal agents after his arrest that he'd provided semi-automatic rifles to members of the La Raza gang to use in its ongoing war with rival Hispanic gangs on the city's South and West sides.

----------

"I did know someone who could use these (expletive) rifles," Williams told agents, according to a transcript provided in the filing. "These dudes coming over here every (expletive) day with rifles. ... But that was the thought process."

Prosecutors said the interview showed the danger Williams posed to the public.

"Arming his neighbors in an ongoing gang war, tolerating the killing of individuals, including innocent children, as the cost of doing business, and exhibiting concern only when he suspects that he may be arrested, demonstrates that (Williams) has no respect for the law," Assistant U.S. Attorney Kavitha Babu wrote.

----

The federal complaint against Williams alleges he sold a 9 mm pistol last month to an undercover ATF informant. Agents were watching as Williams pulled his Nissan into a La Grange parking garage, popped the trunk and handed the informant a white plastic bag containing the weapon.

"It's been fired, but it didn't get fired at nothing," Williams allegedly told the informant, who was wearing a hidden wire. "I shot it at a (gun) range."

The informant told agents that he previously traded the same gun to Williams for about $350 worth of cocaine, according to the complaint.

Stilll think this monster deserves bail?

Last edited:

If you are a convicted felon and you are in possession of a gun you are indeed committing yet another felony.

8th Amendment. Try him first before sentencing him. There is no parole in the federal system. Comma.

Try again!

8th Amendment. Try him first before sentencing him. There is no parole in the federal system. Comma.

Try again!

Yeah it'll be really tough to convict him for being a felon and carrying a gun. Since he has already been convicted of a felony and is a repeat offender there should be no bail. When he is tried and convicted then he should get 30 years no early release

Just because there is no parole in the federal system does not mean piece of shit criminals serve their entire sentence

He was sentenced to 30 years on First Degree Murder in 1998 and is somehow back on the streets......selling illegal guns to gangs......

That is the problem in Chicago...not law abiding gun owners...

He was sentenced to 30 years on First Degree Murder in 1998 and is somehow back on the streets......selling illegal guns to gangs......

That is the problem in Chicago...not law abiding gun owners...

1st degree murder should be automatic life no parole.

Here you go.....he was convicted of First Degree Murder...that is just one of his convictions....he was also caught in an undercover sting where he admitted on video of supplying the weapons used to shoot police officers.....

Judge asked to reconsider bond for man who allegedly sold rifle used in cop shooting

So, why wasn't he charged with supplying the rifle?

We now know that he was convicted of 1st degree murder in 1996 and sentenced to 30 years. Why wasn't he still in jail?

Try again!

Sorry....you are wrong...this guy is an obvious danger to his community...

Williams was convicted in 1998 of first-degree murder and sentenced to 30 years in Illinois state prison, according to the complaint. Details of that crime were not immediately available.

-------

In the filing Friday, prosecutors alleged Williams acknowledged in an interview with federal agents after his arrest that he'd provided semi-automatic rifles to members of the La Raza gang to use in its ongoing war with rival Hispanic gangs on the city's South and West sides.

----------

"I did know someone who could use these (expletive) rifles," Williams told agents, according to a transcript provided in the filing. "These dudes coming over here every (expletive) day with rifles. ... But that was the thought process."

Prosecutors said the interview showed the danger Williams posed to the public.

"Arming his neighbors in an ongoing gang war, tolerating the killing of individuals, including innocent children, as the cost of doing business, and exhibiting concern only when he suspects that he may be arrested, demonstrates that (Williams) has no respect for the law," Assistant U.S. Attorney Kavitha Babu wrote.

----

The federal complaint against Williams alleges he sold a 9 mm pistol last month to an undercover ATF informant. Agents were watching as Williams pulled his Nissan into a La Grange parking garage, popped the trunk and handed the informant a white plastic bag containing the weapon.

"It's been fired, but it didn't get fired at nothing," Williams allegedly told the informant, who was wearing a hidden wire. "I shot it at a (gun) range."

The informant told agents that he previously traded the same gun to Williams for about $350 worth of cocaine, according to the complaint.

Try again!

Yeah it'll be really tough to convict him for being a felon and carrying a gun. Since he has already been convicted of a felony and is a repeat offender there should be no bail. When he is tried and convicted then he should get 30 years no early release

Just because there is no parole in the federal system does not mean piece of shit criminals serve their entire sentence

Federal prisoners are required to serve 85% of their sentence.

No...he isn't an innocent man, he is a convicted felon....likely with a long criminal history which means he is a menace to his community which has has shown by being caught with an illegal gun......
in the bill of rights, it doesnt state that a previous conviction, even a violent one, in and of itself, is grounds for denying bail. the prosecution had the opportunity to argue against him getting bail, also. and as far as his innocence, on THESE charges, under the law, he is innocent till the verdict comes back or he enters a guilty plea. no matter how cut and dry a case is, until that verdict is rendered, every defendant is innocent. and possessing a gun in and of itself does not make one a menace, its what the person DOES with the gun that makes them a menace. In fact in some states, including here in the great state of Texas, a felony conviction isnt a lifetime bar on firearms ownership.

Forum List

Back