Fertilizer Inventories Climb, Wholesale Prices Declining

Ask yourself why that is.

Two main reasons.

First...from the article "Meanwhile, concerns that fertilizer supplies from Russia would be completely shut off haven’t panned out. Russian fertilizer sales are exempt from the sanctions imposed by US and EU in response to the war on Ukraine, and some shipments are entering the US, according to cargo data tracked by Bloomberg."

Second, in the US the acres of corn planted is down about 5% while Soybeans are up. Soybeans do not need any fertilizer so less it being used.

There are a lot of crops that cant be be planted this late in the year.

Most in the ground and doing great.

Nationwide corn planting is pretty much done and the amount emerged is ahead of the 5 year average.
Soy is at about 89% (as of last Monday) planted and ahead of the 5 year average for emerged.

They were a little late getting started planting due to the late Easter and some early rains but since then mother nature has been very kind to the farmers in the Mid-west at least.

Last edited:
Two main reasons.

First...from the article "Meanwhile, concerns that fertilizer supplies from Russia would be completely shut off haven’t panned out. Russian fertilizer sales are exempt from the sanctions imposed by US and EU in response to the war on Ukraine, and some shipments are entering the US, according to cargo data tracked by Bloomberg."

Second, in the US the acres of corn planted is down about 5% while Soybeans are up. Soybeans do not need any fertilizer so less it being used.
Exactly.....Everyone knew the "sanctions" on Russia were half-assed (which is fine by me) and farmers are not going to pay the price to fertilize corn when they can grow soybeans.

Most in the ground and doing great.

Nationwide corn planting is pretty much done and the amount emerged is ahead of the 5 year average.
Soy is at about 93% (as of last Monday) planted and well ahead of the 5 year average for emerged.

They were a little late getting started planting due to the late Easter and some early rains but since then mother nature has been very kind to the farmers in the Mid-west at least.

I suggest you watch some farmer vids on YouTube.
Most are at least a month late in getting corn and soybeans in the ground,at this point they in desperation mode and will be lucky to break even.

I suggest you watch some farmer vids on YouTube.
Most are at least a month late in getting corn and soybeans in the ground,at this point they in desperation mode and will be lucky to break even.

I do not need to watch Youtube videos as I work with these farmers daily.

Yes, they were late getting them into the ground due to the late Easter and then rains right after that. But they have since made up time and are now looking good. As I said, mother nature has been good to them since then.

Exactly.....Everyone knew the "sanctions" on Russia were half-assed (which is fine by me) and farmers are not going to pay the price to fertilize corn when they can grow soybeans.

Depends on their set up and contracts I suppose. Corn is not the most profitable crop per acre anyway. A lot of the soy growers do winter wheat and soy because it takes the same equipment and they can squeeze in two harvests per year. Either one of those will give you more revenue per acre than corn, let alone both.

Anyway, corn can still benefit from being fertilized. They like a hit of nitrogen once the plants are knee high.

Depends on their set up and contracts I suppose. Corn is not the most profitable crop per acre anyway. A lot of the soy growers do winter wheat and soy because it takes the same equipment and they can squeeze in two harvests per year. Either one of those will give you more revenue per acre than corn, let alone both.

Anyway, corn can still benefit from being fertilized. They like a hit of nitrogen once the plants are knee high.

A lot depends on the price of each.

This is a pretty handy tool for a quick analysis.

Maybe where you are.

And where I am is where the vast majority of both are grown.

But here is last week's crop progress report.

Corn planted at 97%, which is the 5 year average.

Corn emerged is at 88%, the 5 year average is 89%

Beans planted at 88%, same as the 5 year average

Beans emerged is at 70% just behind the 5 year average and will likely be closer when the report is published today.

And where I am is where the vast majority of both are grown.

But here is last week's crop progress report.

Corn planted at 97%, which is the 5 year average.

Corn emerged is at 88%, the 5 year average is 89%

Beans planted at 88%, same as the 5 year average

Beans emerged is at 70% just behind the 5 year average and will likely be closer when the report is published today.

A lot of farmers have just finished planting corn and soybeans....a month late.
They couldnt even plant some varieties because it was to late in the season and they wouldnt mature in time.

A lot of farmers have just finished planting corn and soybeans....a month late.
They couldnt even plant some varieties because it was to late in the season and they wouldnt mature in time.

Yeah, they were late plant, I have acknowledged this twice already. This year was going to be a late start as Easter as very late and most will not plant prior to that due to the risk of a late freeze.

Forum List

Back