First democratic debates a disaster for NBC

Andrew Yang says microphone was 'not on' at times during Democratic debate

That too is not uncommon, although ill-advised. I've seen countless times a sound tech will have mics MUTED when he thinks they're not in play, which is another invitation to embarrassment. That's when the violin player steps up to take a solo that he didn't know was coming, there's nothing there, the mute button is killed and the sound suddenly crashes in mid-note. That's just stupid. Sound boards should not even have mute buttons (in fact the one in front of me right now I got cheap because its mutes don't work). Running sound that way ensures a very busy show constantly looking for which channels to punch in or out. Besides which, you want to know your sound is set for worst-case, i.e. all mics open.

Now me, I'll keep all mics open and if one is not active I'll just keep it down maybe 15dB. That way extraneous unwanted sound is minimized, yet if that speaker (or that musician) suddenly pops up unexpectedly they're not shut out altogether and all that remains is to adjust the level. And I do that probably because I was trained in broadcasting before I was trained in live sound. Channels are never muted in a broadcast booth.

But ultimately that's up to the TD (tech director) who's calling those mics on the ClearCom. So it's entirely possible that Andrew Yang's mic was 'not on' just as it's possible that that violin player's channel was not on. It's a simple explanation, not requiring conspiracy theories. Occam's Razor. And it's also possible that Andrew Yang simply couldn't hear his monitor.

Yah, it's just coincidence that the candidates that get the most corporate funding also get the most air time.

Riiiiight.

The system is corrupt Pogo.

For those with no broadcast experience and those whose alleged experience is actually confined to having done the clean up detail in a local "educational" FM's break room:

One common approach is to set up several receivers for wireless microphones, each of which feeds a single fader (volume control) on an audio console. The cheap and dirty approach sees the use of two (or more) wireless microphones (with attached transmitter, each on the same frequency). The two pair with a single receiver, hence single fader per pair of microphones.

Stop right there Henri.

You DON'T EVER set two mics on the same freeq. EVER. That guarantees neither one will work. Your phony Google training is showing. And to think, you had all day to figure this out.

What ACTUALLY happens is each mic has a dedicated channel (and a dedicated freeq) and then, if there's something common to a number of them, one way to process them is "group" them into a single subfader on the console which can then activate and deactivate that group. The departing talent for example could have been grouped into one subfeed and the entering talent into another, whereupon the new group was brought up while the departing group, that should have been killed, was not.

Simple as that.

Two mics on the same freeq, what a fraud.

We agree on one thing, break-room girl:

It is very poor practice to but two mics on the same frequency. I guess you didn't grasp the meaning of the terms "cheap and dirty". But after all, we ARE talking about NBC. Do you really think a cheap outfit would be using a sophisticated audio console when they could get away with something simple without subfaders or grouping capability?

What kind of masochist would "group" the whole mob on a single fader? One who didn't care whether one member of the group went nuts but couldn't be potted down individually without taking out the whole group? Yeah, a risk one wouldn't ordinarily think of as high but....consider the nature of the group.

Now get back to cleaning up the tables.

That too is not uncommon, although ill-advised. I've seen countless times a sound tech will have mics MUTED when he thinks they're not in play, which is another invitation to embarrassment. That's when the violin player steps up to take a solo that he didn't know was coming, there's nothing there, the mute button is killed and the sound suddenly crashes in mid-note. That's just stupid. Sound boards should not even have mute buttons (in fact the one in front of me right now I got cheap because its mutes don't work). Running sound that way ensures a very busy show constantly looking for which channels to punch in or out. Besides which, you want to know your sound is set for worst-case, i.e. all mics open.

Now me, I'll keep all mics open and if one is not active I'll just keep it down maybe 15dB. That way extraneous unwanted sound is minimized, yet if that speaker (or that musician) suddenly pops up unexpectedly they're not shut out altogether and all that remains is to adjust the level. And I do that probably because I was trained in broadcasting before I was trained in live sound. Channels are never muted in a broadcast booth.

But ultimately that's up to the TD (tech director) who's calling those mics on the ClearCom. So it's entirely possible that Andrew Yang's mic was 'not on' just as it's possible that that violin player's channel was not on. It's a simple explanation, not requiring conspiracy theories. Occam's Razor. And it's also possible that Andrew Yang simply couldn't hear his monitor.

What's "funny" about that post MisterBeale ?

For those with no broadcast experience and those whose alleged experience is actually confined to having done the clean up detail in a local "educational" FM's break room:

One common approach is to set up several receivers for wireless microphones, each of which feeds a single fader (volume control) on an audio console. The cheap and dirty approach sees the use of two (or more) wireless microphones (with attached transmitter, each on the same frequency). The two pair with a single receiver, hence single fader per pair of microphones.

Stop right there Henri.

You DON'T EVER set two mics on the same freeq. EVER. That guarantees neither one will work. Your phony Google training is showing. And to think, you had all day to figure this out.

What ACTUALLY happens is each mic has a dedicated channel (and a dedicated freeq) and then, if there's something common to a number of them, one way to process them is "group" them into a single subfader on the console which can then activate and deactivate that group. The departing talent for example could have been grouped into one subfeed and the entering talent into another, whereupon the new group was brought up while the departing group, that should have been killed, was not.

Simple as that.

Two mics on the same freeq, what a fraud.

We agree on one thing, break-room girl:

It is very poor practice to but two mics on the same frequency. I guess you didn't grasp the meaning of the terms "cheap and dirty". But after all, we ARE talking about NBC. Do you really think a cheap outfit would be using a sophisticated audio console when they could get away with something simple without subfaders or grouping capability?

What kind of masochist would "group" the whole mob on a single fader? One who didn't care whether one member of the group went nuts but couldn't be potted down individually without taking out the whole group? Yeah, a risk one wouldn't ordinarily think of as high but....consider the nature of the group.

Now get back to cleaning up the tables.

Neither NBC nor any other entity is going to cart its own sound techs to Miami to cover a single event. If you were half the broadcaster you claim to be you'd already know that. It's revealing that you don't. Not that that wasn't already revealed.

So no, we're NOT talking about NBC and we never were. We're talking the local stage crew in Miami, who live there and work show-to-show for whatever client happens to hire them for the occasion.

Last edited:
Yah, it's just coincidence that the candidates that get the most corporate funding also get the most air time.

Riiiiight.

The system is corrupt Pogo.

"Who gets the most air time" is AGAIN going to be up to the producer ---- not the sound tech.

Holy SHIT.

Look, I've run audio systems for The Dick Cheney, Margaret Thatcher and Alberto Gonzales. There was no way I was going to ride levels on the basis of ideologies. Get a freaking GRIP.

Alas, if we are to believe our break-room cleanup girl NBC no longer does events using trained, professional, experienced union crews. Could such a leftist outfit have done THAT???

Just to brag a little, I ran audio for ABC radio remotes involving JFK and (separately) Martin Luther King. Oh.and on the TV side in 1976, The Archbishop of Canterbury (though not for ABC). But I must admit I've never had the experience that must only come from wiping up coffee stains in a public radio FM.

IBEW in those days. Know what that is?

Alas, if we are to believe our break-room cleanup girl NBC no longer does events using trained, professional, experienced union crews. Could such a leftist outfit have done THAT???

Just to brag a little, I ran audio for ABC radio remotes involving JFK and (separately) Martin Luther King. Oh.and on the TV side in 1976, The Archbishop of Canterbury (though not for ABC). But I must admit I've never had the experience that must only come from wiping up coffee stains in a public radio FM.

How interesting. I ran camera for Abe Lincoln and powerpoint for Ben Franklin's kite demonstration. It was shocking.

Oh by the way you spelled "I BLEW" wrong.

How interesting. I ran camera for Abe Lincoln and powerpoint for Ben Franklin's kite demonstration. It was shocking.

Oh by the way you spelled "I BLEW" wrong.

What is the compatibility in being a flaming liberal and being so anti-union as to not recognize The IBEW?

Schizoid much?

Andrew Yang on Twitter
Check out MSNBC's graphic. . . .

Apparently Yang is the only candidate that wants to break up MSNBC and Comcast's regulatory monopoly. Gee, ya think that might have something to do with it?
Acquisition of NBC Universal by Comcast - Wikipedia

Andrew Yang on Twitter

Apparently Yang is the only candidate that wants to break up MSNBC and Comcast's regulatory monopoly. Gee, ya think that might have something to do with it?

Thanks for the video. But I'm not hearing it. I'm hearing a crescendo of multiple voices and audience noise. There's no way to discern a mic "not on". Actually I do hear a brief ejaculation, but that's all he said. If that mic were dead we would not hear that except maybe off-axis from an adjacent mic.

And trust me, I KNOW when a mic's not on or off-axis. Been doing this since I was a toddler.

Andrew Yang on Twitter

Thanks for the video. But I'm not hearing it. I'm hearing a crescendo of multiple voices and audience noise. There's no way to discern a mic "not on". I don't see him speaking. You can't do a mic check without sound going in.

And trust me, I KNOW when a mic's not on. Been doing this since I was a toddler.

...And political correctness has made you fucking retarded

Andrew Yang on Twitter

Thanks for the video. But I'm not hearing it. I'm hearing a crescendo of multiple voices and audience noise. There's no way to discern a mic "not on". I don't see him speaking. You can't do a mic check without sound going in.

And trust me, I KNOW when a mic's not on. Been doing this since I was a toddler.

derp. Other than looking at them and not hearing them.

You are being obtuse.

You don't need any special expertise here, just common sense buddy.

Andrew Yang on Twitter

...And political correctness has made you fucking retarded

I know.

He actually wrote, "I am not HEARING a mic that is not on?!"

wtf?!

The reason MSNBC didn't want Yang to be heard, is he is against crony capitalism. He wants to break up the media monopoly.

There is no other DNC candidate that would DARE sit down and have a one on one debate with Shapiro, and they were out to punish him for it.

The reason MSNBC didn't want Yang to be heard, is he is against crony capitalism. He wants to break up the media monopoly.

There is no other DNC candidate that would DARE sit down and have a one on one debate with Shapiro, and they were out to punish him for it.

Progressives want to expand the greatest monopoly the planet has ever seen... the Fucking federal government

Andrew Yang on Twitter

derp. Other than looking at them and not hearing them.

You are being obtuse.

You don't need any special expertise here, just common sense buddy.

Look Dipwad, it's my fucking JOB to know how mics work. If Yang had actually been speaking we would have heard something. No mic in the world can deliver sound that nobody made. All he says is "whoa, scuse me" and nothing more (because somebody else took the floor) but if his mic were "muted" you wouldn't have heard even that. Besides which, in an event with such rapid-fire interjections you CAN'T get away with muting mics. Had they done that you would have heard voices cutting in and out ALL NIGHT. Because nobody can react that fast. Interjections like that are what we call "unpredictable".

Are you actually suggesting that this local sound engineer --- or NBC itself -- knew in advance by some kind of psychic prescience, who's going to speak at each moment?? :cuckoo:

Look, it's all lotsa fun to imagine vast conspiracies of the Illumaniti-plus-Elvis sitting in some bunker in West Virginia controlling the price of Wonder Bread but when you engage in this level of self-delusion just so you can play with your paranoia game in spite of how the real world works, you surrender all credibility and may as well be posting from a very wonderful place in Germany where it's not raining under a windmill which gives you cancer.

That mic is not "muted". Get a freaking GRIP.

Forum List

Back