First democratic debates a disaster for NBC

I'm a sound engineer. I work in this kind of milieu. It's a large part of what I do. That, and three decades in broadcasting.

That help?

Geez....s0n.....nobody cares.

You're the guy in the room watching live as a freight train is derailing and asking, "Wonder if the engineer lost a shoe?"

The social oddballs of the world never do get the big picture.

The entire country watched NBC fubar the sound due to lousy preparation....as cheesy as it gets. Bush league:113:

Once AGAIN for the terminally slow --- "NBC" would have had nothing to do with "preparing" the sound. It simply doesn't work that way. That's all local.
So, nobody double checked them?

"Double checked" what?

Here's how it works. The venue is set for the event, by local stagehands. Lighting, audio, camera placement, all that shit. What the network brings to the event is their "talent" (the talking heads, that's what they're collectively called), a director calling camera shots and cues, support for that director, and technicians to deliver the feed to the network. That's all they need.

The feed they get will come from the local techs in the venue. Whatever camera shot they want at a given moment, whatever mic they want on in that moment, whatever lighting changes they want, that's all called by the director, and executed by the local crew. The people who actually shoot that camera or bring up that mic or fade that lighting up or down are local freelance techs working that venue hired for the occasion. Some of them might have worked a Miami Marlins baseball game the day before. Some may work an American Heart Association convention the day after. That's the nature of show business --- you have A show, then you have ANOTHER show, then ANOTHER one, NONE of which are related to each other and none of which are related to the network (or to the baseball team, or to the AHA etc). NBC isn't going to trek their own sound techs and camera ops and lighting people around the country when they know they can hire locally. Nobody does that.

Now on this occasion apparently one set of talent had finished their shift and gone on to the green room while another set took the stage, and some sound tech forgot to mute the mics they were wearing, producing the feedback and the murmuring. The network has to run the audio that's delivered, and this part of the audio was faulty. Noticing that the error wasn't corrected, the director called an audible -- a commercial break to settle the dust; that order would have been relayed to the talent's ear, who then said to the camera "we're taking a break". The director in other words did his job.

That happened because sound techs and camera ops and lighting people are what we call "human". So that's all it was, and while that situation is not intended, it's also not unusual. What IS unusual is some jagoff on a message board trying to make an "issue" out of it as if it has something to do with "current events". This is no more a "current event" than Mrs. Irma Schwartz of Provo Utah deciding to have a piece of toast.
I would bring a QC tech to be safe-that's why.

That's the Director. Duh.

You're the guy in the room watching live as a freight train is derailing and asking, "Wonder if the engineer lost a shoe?"

The entire country watched NBC fubar the sound due to lousy preparation....as cheesy as it gets. Bush league:113:

Once AGAIN for the terminally slow --- "NBC" would have had nothing to do with "preparing" the sound. It simply doesn't work that way. That's all local.

"Double checked" what?

Here's how it works. The venue is set for the event, by local stagehands. Lighting, audio, camera placement, all that shit. What the network brings to the event is their "talent" (the talking heads, that's what they're collectively called), a director calling camera shots and cues, support for that director, and technicians to deliver the feed to the network. That's all they need.

The feed they get will come from the local techs in the venue. Whatever camera shot they want at a given moment, whatever mic they want on in that moment, whatever lighting changes they want, that's all called by the director, and executed by the local crew. The people who actually shoot that camera or bring up that mic or fade that lighting up or down are local freelance techs working that venue hired for the occasion. Some of them might have worked a Miami Marlins baseball game the day before. Some may work an American Heart Association convention the day after. That's the nature of show business --- you have A show, then you have ANOTHER show, then ANOTHER one, NONE of which are related to each other and none of which are related to the network (or to the baseball team, or to the AHA etc). NBC isn't going to trek their own sound techs and camera ops and lighting people around the country when they know they can hire locally. Nobody does that.

Now on this occasion apparently one set of talent had finished their shift and gone on to the green room while another set took the stage, and some sound tech forgot to mute the mics they were wearing, producing the feedback and the murmuring. The network has to run the audio that's delivered, and this part of the audio was faulty. Noticing that the error wasn't corrected, the director called an audible -- a commercial break to settle the dust; that order would have been relayed to the talent's ear, who then said to the camera "we're taking a break". The director in other words did his job.

That happened because sound techs and camera ops and lighting people are what we call "human". So that's all it was, and while that situation is not intended, it's also not unusual. What IS unusual is some jagoff on a message board trying to make an "issue" out of it as if it has something to do with "current events". This is no more a "current event" than Mrs. Irma Schwartz of Provo Utah deciding to have a piece of toast.

I would double check him-this shit is too important to screw with-NBC gets blamed whether it was their fault or not. It reminds me of that commercial-is it good? Aw. its OK. OK doesn't cut it.

Bernie has jumped the shark. Now he's promising to rotate SCOTUS judges off the bench to stop conservative bias.

The man is a loon

"Double checked" what?

I would double check him-this shit is too important to screw with-NBC gets blamed whether it was their fault or not. It reminds me of that commercial-is it good? Aw. its OK. OK doesn't cut it.

You would also enlarge your fonts as if your posts are more important than everybody else's so clearly you're clueless in general. You CAN'T "double-check" feedback once it's in the system. You CAN'T subtract part of the audio once it's in the mix. You "double check" the audio levels and the mics in Sound Check to make sure everything's audible. That was already done long before showtime. The local crew fucked up, for a period of fifteen seconds, then it was fixed and the show went on. Nobody outside this OCD thread even remembers it. That's what happens in live television, which is why most television isn't.

Neither audio, nor video, nor staging, nor lighting, works any differently for NBC that it works for a baseball broadcast or a theater play or a country music concert or a convention keynote speech. NBC will have a few techs that work in its own building, full-time, who have enough workload to keep them busy; outside of that it will be local stringers. Including some of the reporters.

That's what happens when you go cheap and buy your wireless microphones from China.

I'm uh, pretty sure the Cheap Chinese mics come up and down on faders exactly the same way the Sennheisers and A/Ts do. Mixers after all tend to be downstream.

Thought you'd sneak that one by, didja? SMH

"Double checked" what?

You would also enlarge your fonts as if your posts are more important than everybody else's so clearly you're clueless in general. You CAN'T "double-check" feedback once it's in the system. You CAN'T subtract part of the audio once it's in the mix. You "double check" the audio levels and the mics in Sound Check to make sure everything's audible. That was already done long before showtime. The local crew fucked up, for a period of fifteen seconds, then it was fixed and the show went on. Nobody outside this OCD thread even remembers it. That's what happens in live television, which is why most television isn't.

Neither audio, nor video, nor staging, nor lighting, works any differently for NBC that it works for a baseball broadcast or a theater play or a country music concert or a convention keynote speech. NBC will have a few techs that work in its own building, full-time, who have enough workload to keep them busy; outside of that it will be local stringers. Including some of the reporters.
Hey smart ass, clueless yourself, I can't see good so I enlarge-sorry if I hurt YOUR feelings. I don't care about the glitch, the point is, NBC gets blamed for it-not by me-by other networks and media. Geesh, relax will ya

"Double checked" what?

Hey smart ass, clueless yourself, I can't see good so I enlarge-sorry if I hurt YOUR feelings. I don't care about the glitch, the point is, NBC gets blamed for it-not by me-by other networks and media. Geesh, relax will ya

I can't see "good" either but I know how to enlarge the fuck my screen without penalizing everybody else and looking like a dick. Funny how you think you can read everybody else's text without them enlarging it, isn't it. Only Numero Uno's words matter huh.

And I guarantee you, the "other networks and media" know exactly how all this works. That sound tech who didn't mute the mics is just as likely to be doing sound for Fox Noise next week. Everybody knows that.

"Cluelessness," "intellectually bereft." Gottcha. Everyone but you must have slept in and missed the meeting on how the universe really works?

No! No! No! I got it. You went to some sterling university with high honors while anyone on the Right obviously never graduated the 6th grade with Jethro Bodine and just fell off the turnip truck.

Or could it just be those superior liberal genes of yours and the fact that everyone from the inside 40 deplorable states are all inbred from sleeping with our own relatives?

PLEASE let us know what makes you SO DAMN SMART and the rest of us all imbecile hayseed hicks!

I'm a sound engineer. I work in this kind of milieu. It's a large part of what I do. That, and three decades in broadcasting.

That help?

Lol....only 1% of the audience knows that.....dummy. Duh:113:

To 15 million people, NBC looked totally incompetent.​

This is a hallucinatory fantasy only y'all partisan hacks entertain. Nobody in the TV audience comes up with this shit. They heard open mics, they chuckled momentarily, then there was a commercial and it was forgotten because let's face it, anyone watching this debate was there to hear political candidates, not what the freaking audio levels in an auditorium are. All this thread has shown is that y'all partisan hacks like to hallucinate. It's fun for your own self-delusion but that's as far as it goes.

Whatever you say s0n!!!!:2up::bye1::bye1:

If "everybody knows sound guys do all the networks"......then why did you take half a page in the forum to explain it to everybody? Dang you dumb.........:aug08_031::aug08_031::aug08_031:And you just pwn'd yourself!:laughing0301::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup:

Oh btw.......top story on DRUDGE right now............

Scarborough apologizes for 'disaster' of debate on MSNBC...

Some on the left now have even taken to that the Russians were fucking with the NBC sound stuff!:coffee:Like millions of other Americans, Im still laughing they had like 40 mics on in the room!! Its fucking hysterical!

Last edited:

That help?

This is a hallucinatory fantasy only y'all partisan hacks entertain. Nobody in the TV audience comes up with this shit. They heard open mics, they chuckled momentarily, then there was a commercial and it was forgotten because let's face it, anyone watching this debate was there to hear political candidates, not what the freaking audio levels in an auditorium are. All this thread has shown is that y'all partisan hacks like to hallucinate. It's fun for your own self-delusion but that's as far as it goes.

If "everybody knows sound guys do all the networks"......then why did you take half a page in the forum to explain it to everybody? Dang you dumb.........:aug08_031::aug08_031::aug08_031:And you just pwn'd yourself!:laughing0301::blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup:

Some on the left now have even taken to that the Russians were fucking with the NBC sound stuff!:coffee:Like millions of other Americans, Im still laughing they had like 40 mics on in the room!! Its fucking hysterical!

Sorry, I have to interject something here: That Scarborough article doesn't mean shit and is just one more slanted hit piece and Pogo is on this occasion being quite honest with you about how the audio set up and feeds actually work. The sound crew there maybe partly/wholly "in-house" or brought in from a local sound company to set up and the network (NBC) shows up with their trucks, plugs into the main feed and pipes it out to the country. Beyond that, other than the fact that NBC would have executives overseeing the coverage and how they wanted camera angles and shots, it is really up to a sound engineer and/or director of the events to go through everything and vet the actual operation and preparedness and be prepared to deal with the usual malfunctions and breakdowns due to mics, cabling, connections, etc., and for whatever reason, hurrying, whatever, something was missed but was apparently soon corrected (I didn't personally catch the mishap).

Shit happens. NBC was ultimately paying the bills and were probably not happy it happened. Questions will be asked of someone responsible. But the only people who likely think this some big deal are those just looking to spin anything negative. Lord knows there was enough in the actual debate to look at.

They flushed down all their chances of ever beating Trump when they collectively raised their hands to guarantee free healthcare to anybody who breaks into our country illegally. Just shows how out of touch they are with everyday Americans.

I have to admit though, it's quite entertaining watching them self destruct on live TV, despite having only Leftist propagandists from failing fake news channels as moderators. It doesn't get any better!
The eager hand raises were telling
It told”we have more sympathy for illegals then acknowledgement of Americans”

That help?

Once in a while you might actually read your own links. It isn't about the open mics at all.

This goofy-ass thread, however, is.

After more thought, this may be deeper than just "technical difficulties."

What I think this is a sign of, is the networks trying to manipulate which candidates are heard the most.

This is about altering the public perception of reality. This is how "news," tries to create the public perception of who is the front runner. It is why they try to keep certain people out of the debates entirely to begin with.

Why do you think we hear more from the front runner to begin with?

The establishment CFR seems to always sideline the folks it wants to marginalize. . .

Accidents happen huh? :tinfoil:

"Carson, a neurosurgeon, who now serves as the secretary of Housing and Urban Development, said he never heard his name called so he just stayed off stage"
Microphone, technical issues interrupt gun control question at Democratic debate

Andrew Yang says microphone was 'not on' at times during Democratic debate
Andrew Yang says microphone was 'not on' at times during Democratic debate

Wake up folks, these propaganda outlets are fucking manipulating us to hear MORE from the candidates THEY WANT, and less from the folks they don't.

Once in a while you might actually read your own links. It isn't about the open mics at all.

This goofy-ass thread, however, is.

. . . after further thought, I don't think it is so goofy after all.

But, I don't think it is just MSNBC or NBC that is doing it. It has nothing to do with partisan politics. IT has to do with who the big corporations want to steer the voters to.

. . . I just don't think the person that posted the OP understands the implications of the signs of what is really going on.

Will NBC survive? They still have the most news viewers of any television news, burying FOX by 10 million viewers every day, not even counting their magazine-type news shows and specials.
Fake news.

. . . I just don't think the person that posted the OP understands the implications of the signs of what is really going on.

Agree with that. He appears to have never heard an open mic before and was desperate to find "disaster" and append it to the wrong entity. Apparently in pursuit of yet another juvenile Composition Fallacy.

Ain't no sound tech nowhere who would call that a "disaster". More like an "oops".

For those with no broadcast experience and those whose alleged experience is actually confined to having done the clean up detail in a local "educational" FM's break room:

One common approach is to set up several receivers for wireless microphones, each of which feeds a single fader (volume control) on an audio console. The cheap and dirty approach sees the use of two (or more) wireless microphones (with attached transmitter, each on the same frequency). The two pair with a single receiver, hence single fader per pair of microphones.

The idea is to have only one of the two microphones active (transmitter turned on) at any given time.

That way the "A" group goes on stage with active microphones/transmitters and the "B" group stays backstage with theirs turned off.

In a responsible operation there's a technician assigned to "ride herd" on those microphones. To make sure that only the "A" group is "hot" when it's their turn on stage. Same technician is assigned to make sure those "A" group mics are turned OFF as soon as the group goes off state. Then turn ON the microphones for the "B" Group.

In this case the "B" group had its mics turned on at about the time it should have but nobody bothered to turn off the "A" group's units until all Hell broke loose.

Whether NBC or some local vendor was responsible isn't clear. What I find amazing is that I know NBC to be a union shop. That the union would allow anyone other than their own minions to work the job.....now that is amazing. Surely NBC should have its ass in a sling with at least a grievance from their union. Or is that pro-Democrat outfit secretly anti-union?

NBC Hit With Technical Issues at Democratic Debate; Trump Blasts ‘Truly Unprofessional’ Network

That's why you need to get a real news organization in charge. I bet this shit wouldn't happen had it been on FNC. What a fucking embarrassment.

NBC was left red-faced during Wednesday night’s Democratic presidential debates when audio issues plagued moderators Chuck Todd and Rachel Maddow.

Following the gaffe, NBC quickly cut to commercial before returning with Todd and Maddow vowing to march on from the “technical difficulties.”
I still say that this debate is as a distraction. They are keeping the Republicans focusing on them, instead of focusing on the candidates
Right now we don't even know where are all of the RINOs that are roaming around on Capitol hill because of these slapstick comical characters. The Democrats are trying to take over the stage, in order to drown out truth. Republican candidate Dr.Shiva Ayyadurai is running for the Senate seat. They are trying to prevent the public from hearing what he has to say. But the Dems will put the RINOs on stage, so that they will keep the truth from going out. John Hickenlooper supposedly had accidentally left his script on the podium, and the Free Beacon had read it, and going to unveil it to the public. We already know that the Dems' candidates are all mentally challenged. But it isn't the time to watch a comedy show.

CR Top 25 RINOs - Scorecard - Conservative Review

Democrats’ extremely uphill battle to retake the Senate majority in 2020, explained

Presidential candidate John Hickenlooper was mistaken for a member of the media at the first Democratic debates

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

For those with no broadcast experience and those whose alleged experience is actually confined to having done the clean up detail in a local "educational" FM's break room:

One common approach is to set up several receivers for wireless microphones, each of which feeds a single fader (volume control) on an audio console. The cheap and dirty approach sees the use of two (or more) wireless microphones (with attached transmitter, each on the same frequency). The two pair with a single receiver, hence single fader per pair of microphones.

Stop right there Henri.

You DON'T EVER set two mics on the same freeq. EVER. That guarantees neither one will work. Your phony Google training is showing. And to think, you had all day to figure this out.

What ACTUALLY happens is each mic has a dedicated channel (and a dedicated freeq) and then, if there's something common to a number of them, one way to process them is "group" them into a single subfader on the console which can then activate and deactivate that group. The departing talent for example could have been grouped into one subfeed and the entering talent into another, whereupon the new group was brought up while the departing group, that should have been killed, was not.

Simple as that.

Two mics on the same freeq, what a fraud.

Forum List

Back