First Ladies of the USA - time for some civillity, folks.

someone should make a photo shop of Michelle in a bathing suit holding a gun like they did with Sarah Palin...

notice they didn't label that PDS

hypocrites every last one of you Obot cult memebers
What's left of the Orgasmic ObamaBot cult is beginning to look a little ridiculous.

isn't that the truth
and go through this thread and see all THEIR civility towards others here...typical though, demand others show civility while the call everyone asses, racist, blah blah

they've become jokes

someone should make a photo shop of Michelle in a bathing suit holding a gun like they did with Sarah Palin...

notice they didn't label that PDS

hypocrites every last one of you Obot cult memebers
What's left of the Orgasmic ObamaBot cult is beginning to look a little ridiculous.

isn't that the truth
and go through this thread and see all THEIR civility towards others here...typical though, demand others show civility while the call everyone asses, racist, blah blah

they've become jokes
Mixed feelings on that one.

I voted for the guy both times... and had Buyer's Remorse before I even walked out of the booth...

More like voting against McSame (2008) and Mittens (2012) than for Obumble...

But, I was never an ObamaBot, and think Fearless Leader is almost as lame and dangerous as either of his two former opponents...

There were vast numbers of Sheeple who drank the Kool-Aid and became Bots in 2008... mostly Kollege Kiddies and Folks of Color and Guilty White Liberals and Democratic Party Hacks...

But enthusiasm waned after 4 years with a Rookie Junior Senator from Illinois at the helm and the ranks of the ObamaBots had shrunken dramatically by 2012, and we no longer saw the same gushing and hysterical frenzy that we'd seen in the 2008 election and its run-up...

Throughout all of this, we've had Michelle ("I'm proud of my country now for the first time in my life") Obama and her largely unremarkable and unnoticed career as FLOTUS.

I'm no Michelle fan, and, judging as a guy, I just don't think she's all-that-attractive, nor all-that-effective as a FLOTUS, but I'm 'Old School' in this regard, and willing to refrain from indulging in the worst and most vicious of the brick-throwing at her... I tend to lay-off the families of Public Folk as a matter of practice and good manners...

Just don't engage me in conversation comparing her to Carla Bruni Sarkozy (those old scowl-pics between First Ladies some years ago) or I may weaken and say something favorable to Carla that would make a liar out of me...
wink_smile.gif

----- turns off 'Shallow Guy Chick-Judging' switch and runs for cover -----
tongue_smile.gif

How much did the Democrats cost taxpayers over Valerie Plame?

but hey, it's only a waste when it was done to that dear Democrat Billy boy Clinton and now under Obama with investigating the abuse of the IRS

then we hear wails of, it's a witch hunt, a waste of monies

And this somehow has to do with the topic of the OP, which is civility toward First Ladies?

Really?

I'm no fan of Steph but that's a cheap shot. Her lame post was a direct response to a post (which you cut out) about money wasted on the Bill Clinton witch-hunt. I can't seem to find your "off-topic" complaint about that one. Somewhere along the way you, like so many others, lost sight of the focus of this thread ... CIVILITY. :D

How much did the Democrats cost taxpayers over Valerie Plame?

but hey, it's only a waste when it was done to that dear Democrat Billy boy Clinton and now under Obama with investigating the abuse of the IRS

then we hear wails of, it's a witch hunt, a waste of monies

And this somehow has to do with the topic of the OP, which is civility toward First Ladies?

Really?

I'm no fan of Steph but that's a cheap shot. Her lame post was a direct response to a post (which you cut out) about money wasted on the Bill Clinton witch-hunt. I can't seem to find your "off-topic" complaint about that one. Somewhere along the way you, like so many others, lost sight of the focus of this thread ... CIVILITY. :D

Thank you dear
all of us here don't have to see eye to eye on everything to show some sense of civility.....:smiliehug:

rw hate, because of their shellacking in 2012 no doubt, is boiling over in this thread

they have zero understanding of why they lost, and will continue to lose national elections.
True and all the while this country is being flushed down the toilet. Am I the only one able to see this?
Hang in there, Hoss.. January 20, 2017 will be here before you know it... and the Obamas will be history... both Fearless Leader AND the present FLOTUS.

The likely Democratic loss of the Senate in November 2014, coupled with continued Republican ownership of the House, should reduce Obumble to true Lame Duck status, once the new Congress is sworn-in, in January 2015.

Help is on the way.

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of nasty stuff written about First Lady Michelle Obama in the last 6 years, it's pretty damned ugly and stupid, too.

There is even an ultra-whackazoid website dedicated to trashing her every move. I think it is called "Michelle's Mirror".

To combat this insanity, I want to take second and reflect on who our First Ladies have been and to say quite openly that I, as a Democrat, have liked all of the ones I have encountered live AND those over whom I have read a great deal.

A lot of shit has been thrown around over the costs incurred by First Ladies, but virtually all of them have incurred costs - this is very natural and EXPECTED perk that comes with the Presidency, and Presidents of both parties have made full use of this perk.

Currently, next to our current FLOTUS, Michelle Obama, there are five former First Ladies still living, thank goodness:

300px-Five_U.S._first_ladies_in_2013.jpg

Former First Lady Laura Bush (2001-2009), former First Lady Hillary Clinton (1993-2001), Former First Lady Barbara Bush (1989-1993) and former First Lady Rosalyn Carter (1977-1981). Not pictured: Nancy Reagan.

Each one of these ladies is a model of grace and excellence and kindness in her own unique way.

Maybe it would help were people to do less bitching and more reading. Want to know how the title as we know it came into being? Then read here:

First Lady of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a complete listing of the FLOTUSes throughout our nation's history:

List of First Ladies of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Within the wiki is also a pretty good description of what a FLOTUS does:

The First Lady of the United States is the hostess of the White House. The position is traditionally filled by the wife of the president of the United States, but, on occasion, the title has been applied to women who were not presidents’ wives, such as when the president was a bachelor or widower, or when the wife of the president was unable to fulfill the duties of the First Lady herself. The First Lady is not an elected position; it carries no official duties and receives no salary. Nonetheless, she attends many official ceremonies and functions of state either along with or in place of the president. Traditionally, the First Lady does not hold outside employment while occupying the office.[1] She has her own staff, including the White House Social Secretary, the Chief of Staff, the Press Secretary, the Chief Floral Designer, and the Executive Chef. The Office of the First Lady is also in charge of all social and ceremonial events of the White House, and is a branch of the Executive Office of the President.

According to the White House and the National First Ladies' Library, there have been forty-six First Ladies and forty-seven First Ladyships. This discrepancy exists because Grover Cleveland served two non-consecutive terms and is counted chronologically as both the twenty-second and the twenty-fourth president; his wife Frances Folsom Cleveland is also counted twice.

The White House website keeps bios of all of our First Ladies:

The First Ladies | The White House

And here is also a very good website for such:

First Ladies of the United States

There is a lot of GOOD material about our First Ladies from the above links. I would recommend that you begin reading to see what interesting and unique and wonderful individuals they were.

I will start contributing material about each FLOTUS over the course of the year.

But right now, I would like to say some kind (and historically accurate) things about First Ladies within most peoples' living memory.

Being born in 1963, the first FLOTUS I have in memory is Ladybird Johnson, but Jackie Onassis (formerly Kennedy) was still quite on the scene and very beloved.

Jackie Kennedy was a model of charm and grace an genteel-ness. I cannot imagine any person in the world wanting to say something nasty about that woman. Alone, having to bear the grief and loss of her husband, John Kennedy, should be enough to simply honor her and her fine memory.

Ladybird Johnson (Claudia Taylor Johnson) was a great lover of nature and she brought that love of nature with her into both the Vice-President's mansion and then into the White House. She is probably best known for her involvement in Head-Start for Pre-K kids.

Pat Nixon was a former High School teacher and lover of theater. In fact, she and Dick Nixon were cast in the same play and there they met and fell in love with each other. As FLOTUS, Pat Nixon worked tirelessly to get people to do volunteer service. She is also probably best known for inviting tons of people to non-denomination ecumenical church services every Sunday.

Betty Ford is one of my favorite First Ladies. Like Gerald Ford, she was a "lucky accident" for our nation. She was Gerald Ford's guiding hand in many matters. The two truly loved each other right through their last days on earth. She had to undergo breast cancer in 1974, and by going public about her cancer, she embolded a lot of women to get themselves checked out. Who knows how many lives Betty Ford saved by simply being an advocate for preventative medicine. Betty Ford also did our nation a big service by coming out as an ex-First Lady and admitting her own alcoholism - again, breaking a lot of tabus. Who knows how many lives Betty Ford may have saved by having been an advocate for getting treatment for alcoholism. And the Betty Ford clinic is still open today. What an incredible woman she was. I also believe that Betty Ford was the first FLOTUS ever to appear on a TV sitcom (or two). I believe she did a neat cameo either in the Bob Newhart show or the Mary Tyler Moore show - or both.

Rosalyn Carter tends to be forgotten some, mostly because she was a very quiet person. A skilled speaker, but a quiet, genteel person with a love of the fine arts, for which she advocated. Both she and then Second-Lady Joan Mondale were great lovers of the fine arts. I would wager that you cannot find even one mean or sour quote from Rosalyn Carter, who, like her husband, is a born-again Christian (Southern Baptist).

Nancy Reagan was the second divorcee in a row, after Betty Ford, to have married a future President in her second marriage. Those two lovely women together broke the tabu that a First Lady somehow could not be a divorcee. Considered aloof by many people, Nancy was anything but aloof. She was an intensely concentrated person and spent tons of time behind the scenes helping veterans and the homeless. She supported the foster Grandparent Program and wrote a book about it in 1982, the year I graduated from High School. She is probably best known for her "Just say no" to drugs program. I always liked and respected her.

Many saw Barbara Bush as the grandmother whom everyone wanted to have in their family. Barbara Bush advocated strongly for literacy programs. VERY STRONGLY. She was the first FLOTUS to advocate for public awareness about HIV/AIDS. I adore Barbara Bush and hopes she still lives a very long time.

With Hillary Clinton, a lot of "molds" were broken, or perhaps re-introduced. Hillary was on the campaign trail in 1992 for her husband Bill more than any other First Lady in our history. She made the first real attempts at Health Care Reform. Like Nancy Reagan before her, Mrs. Clinton wrote a book: "It takes a Village" (1996), for which she received a Grammy. She was and still is a strong advocate for women's issues. And of course, she is the only FLOTUS in history to go on to become a US Senator, a serious Presidential candidate, a Secretary of State and a likely presidential candidate again. I don't think that any FLOTUS in history has as high a name recognition or public profile like Hillary Clinton.

Laura Bush is one of the most charming FLOTUSes I have ever seen up close. I even got to shake her hand once. A truly nice person. Laura was the key force behind then President Bush's "No Child left behind" program. Laura Bush was a main supporter of women's rights in Afghanistan. She is the first FLOTUS ever to give the President's weekly radio address (November, 2001). Laura Bush is the most travelled FLOTUS in history, having visited all 50 states on behalf on the President and 73 foreign countries. She was on a foreign trip for 212 days out of her husband's 2-term presidency, a lot of it in Africa, having advocated for AIDS prevention and hunger prevention, causes that President Bush himself took up, to his great credit. In spite of all sort of partisan strife from 2001-2009, I found Laura Bush to be a class act. Just as I find the current FLOTUS.

I think that history will smile upon Michelle Obama for her "let's move" program to combat obesity, a real problem in the USA, and worldwide. Really not much more to say about her, she he is often in the news, as most FLOTUSes are during their time in the White House.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's time for people to stop snarking about and attacking our current FLOTUS. She is doing nothing that other FLOTUSes have not done. She is filling the role of First Lady as we have seen other first ladies do. And I personally find that people who attack her must be serverely lacking in a lot of categories, not the least of which is sanity.

@AceRothstein , [MENTION=47870]Vigilante[/MENTION], [MENTION=45693]American4Americ[/MENTION] , [MENTION=40495]AngelsNDemons[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=39464]antiquity[/MENTION] , [MENTION=35553]aris2chat[/MENTION] , [MENTION=9429]AVG-JOE[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=24076]Avorysuds[/MENTION] , [MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION] , [MENTION=34109]beagle9[/MENTION] , [MENTION=47248]bedowin62[/MENTION] , [MENTION=24619]Bill Angel[/MENTION] , [MENTION=44336]birddog[/MENTION] , [MENTION=36422]blackhawk[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=21616]blastoff[/MENTION] , [MENTION=25197]BlindBoo[/MENTION] , [MENTION=44536]BobPlumb[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46834]Bombur[/MENTION] , [MENTION=33449]BreezeWood[/MENTION] , [MENTION=29100]bripat9643[/MENTION] , [MENTION=44706]Bumberclyde[/MENTION] , [MENTION=44680]Camp[/MENTION] , [MENTION=14617]Cecilie1200[/MENTION] , [MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=22617]chikenwing[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46975]Circle_Breaker[/MENTION] , [MENTION=21503]Claudette[/MENTION] , [MENTION=25032]ClosedCaption[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=12120]Coloradomtnman[/MENTION] , [MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION] , [MENTION=29614]C_Clayton_Jones[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46316]dannyboys[/MENTION] , [MENTION=30065]dblack[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22981]Defiant1[/MENTION] , [MENTION=39553]depotoo[/MENTION] , [MENTION=36589]DGS49[/MENTION] , [MENTION=11393]DiamondDave[/MENTION] , [MENTION=45679]Diana1180[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42777]DigitalDrifter[/MENTION] , [MENTION=32913]Disir[/MENTION] , [MENTION=20866]Dutch[/MENTION] , [MENTION=30139]eflatminor[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22295]emilynghiem[/MENTION] , [MENTION=35662]Erand7899[/MENTION] , [MENTION=26011]Ernie S.[/MENTION] , [MENTION=40418]farmorto4[/MENTION] , [MENTION=30473]flacaltenn[/MENTION] , [MENTION=20411]ForeverYoung436[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=34052]g5000[/MENTION] , [MENTION=31362]gallantwarrior[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42952]GISMYS[/MENTION] , [MENTION=27168]HereWeGoAgain[/MENTION] , [MENTION=4791]hjmick[/MENTION] , [MENTION=18867]HUGGY[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42934]hunarcy[/MENTION] , [MENTION=24610]iamwhatiseem[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46539]Iceweasel[/MENTION] , [MENTION=45443]Impenitent[/MENTION] , [MENTION=38243]irosie91[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22181]Jarhead[/MENTION] , [MENTION=32813]JimBowie1958[/MENTION] , [MENTION=24535]jknowgood[/MENTION] , [MENTION=33658]Katzndogz[/MENTION] , [MENTION=45702]kjw47[/MENTION] , [MENTION=20204]Kondor3[/MENTION] , [MENTION=47727]korean[/MENTION] , [MENTION=33282]LeftofLeft[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46773]Len[/MENTION] , [MENTION=32163]Listening[/MENTION] , [MENTION=3254]Little-Acorn[/MENTION] , [MENTION=19381]Lonestar_logic[/MENTION] , [MENTION=39846]longknife[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=46604]longly[/MENTION] , [MENTION=7538]LordBrownTrout[/MENTION] , [MENTION=44252]MACAULAY[/MENTION] , [MENTION=23094]martybegan[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22889]Matthew[/MENTION] , [MENTION=23819]MikeK[/MENTION] , [MENTION=45791]Mojo2[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22217]Mustang[/MENTION] , [MENTION=27234]natstew[/MENTION] , [MENTION=16263]nodoginnafight[/MENTION] , [MENTION=31215]Oldstyle[/MENTION] , [MENTION=1996]onedomino[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42380]OriginalShroom[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=23262]peach174[/MENTION] , [MENTION=34176]plant[/MENTION] , [MENTION=12394]PoliticalChic[/MENTION] , [MENTION=39618]proudveteran06[/MENTION] , [MENTION=27986]R.D.[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42379]Redfish[/MENTION] , [MENTION=11710]Richard-H[/MENTION] , [MENTION=25033]RoccoR[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=46474]Ronin[/MENTION] , [MENTION=26838]Ropey[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=39688]RosieS[/MENTION] , [MENTION=36154]Roudy[/MENTION] , [MENTION=37424]Rshermr[/MENTION] , [MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION] , [MENTION=35716]SAYIT[/MENTION] , [MENTION=39075]Shaitra[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46796]shart_attack[/MENTION] , @@ShootSpeeders , [MENTION=44514]Silhouette[/MENTION] , [MENTION=24208]Spoonman[/MENTION] , [MENTION=20452]theDoctorisIn[/MENTION] , [MENTION=36327]TheGreatGatsby[/MENTION] , [MENTION=39852]TheOldSchool[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46391]Theowl32[/MENTION] , [MENTION=2926]Toro[/MENTION] , [MENTION=23905]Trajan[/MENTION] , [MENTION=27995]Uncensored2008[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42404]Vandalshandle[/MENTION] , [MENTION=20296]VaYank5150[/MENTION] [MENTION=45104]WelfareQueen[/MENTION] , [MENTION=27324]whitehall[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=21679]william the wie[/MENTION] , [MENTION=14367]YWN666[/MENTION]
, [MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] , [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] , [MENTION=3135]jillian[/MENTION] , [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=20112]bodecea[/MENTION] [MENTION=20704]Nosmo King[/MENTION] [MENTION=25505]Jroc[/MENTION] [MENTION=44172]Sweet_Caroline[/MENTION] @NTG [MENTION=40845]Jeremiah[/MENTION] [MENTION=18645]Sarah G[/MENTION] [MENTION=11703]strollingbones[/MENTION] [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION] [MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION] [MENTION=20285]Intense[/MENTION] [MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION] [MENTION=19170]Coyote[/MENTION] [MENTION=23239]westwall[/MENTION] [MENTION=20285]Intense[/MENTION] [MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION] [MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] [MENTION=15726]Hossfly[/MENTION] [MENTION=36154]Roudy[/MENTION] [MENTION=31178]MeBelle60[/MENTION] [MENTION=28109]Amelia[/MENTION] [MENTION=29697]freedombecki[/MENTION]
[/QUOTE]

Going after a politician's spouse, kids, or other family is cheap. But, if the spouse or family are politically involved and active than criticisms based on that activity is fair game. Though I don't spend any time at all involving myself with Mrs. Obama's activities, I watch the news and am aware she does in fact involve herself in policy matters. So if I were to have an objection or complaint about her positions thusly, criticizing her for them is I think perfectly fair. Beyond specific policy complaints however isn't fair.

I must concede. Michelle is pretty elegant and graceful. She puts these other two ladies to shame:

michelle-obama-42.jpg

I remember this photograph. Syrenn posted it last year and I was looking at it and wondering why anyone would think the two women on left looked appopriately dressed. They weren't. They look like two high priced hookers coming up the steps of the Georgia Dome. I'm sorry but I have to be honest with you here, Drifting Sand. When it comes to politics? These two wives are a reflection of their husbands and the clothing they select sends a powerful message. ( wrong one )

A daytime outfit with a sleeveless white top and a pink skirt with flats is preferable to what these two have on but I would have selected a nice Jackie O two piece suit for Michele Obama. Still she is sending a far better message then the two on the left! My 2 cents.

- Jeri

That photo is fake.

Michelle's outfit is with her girls on a casual outing. Do you think she looks like a hooker here? Or that she reflects poorly on her husband?

michelleobama2.bmp

I have seen a lot of nasty stuff written about First Lady Michelle Obama in the last 6 years, it's pretty damned ugly and stupid, too.

There is even an ultra-whackazoid website dedicated to trashing her every move. I think it is called "Michelle's Mirror".

To combat this insanity, I want to take second and reflect on who our First Ladies have been and to say quite openly that I, as a Democrat, have liked all of the ones I have encountered live AND those over whom I have read a great deal.

A lot of shit has been thrown around over the costs incurred by First Ladies, but virtually all of them have incurred costs - this is very natural and EXPECTED perk that comes with the Presidency, and Presidents of both parties have made full use of this perk.

Currently, next to our current FLOTUS, Michelle Obama, there are five former First Ladies still living, thank goodness:

300px-Five_U.S._first_ladies_in_2013.jpg

Former First Lady Laura Bush (2001-2009), former First Lady Hillary Clinton (1993-2001), Former First Lady Barbara Bush (1989-1993) and former First Lady Rosalyn Carter (1977-1981). Not pictured: Nancy Reagan.

Each one of these ladies is a model of grace and excellence and kindness in her own unique way.

Maybe it would help were people to do less bitching and more reading. Want to know how the title as we know it came into being? Then read here:

First Lady of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a complete listing of the FLOTUSes throughout our nation's history:

List of First Ladies of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Within the wiki is also a pretty good description of what a FLOTUS does:

The First Lady of the United States is the hostess of the White House. The position is traditionally filled by the wife of the president of the United States, but, on occasion, the title has been applied to women who were not presidents’ wives, such as when the president was a bachelor or widower, or when the wife of the president was unable to fulfill the duties of the First Lady herself. The First Lady is not an elected position; it carries no official duties and receives no salary. Nonetheless, she attends many official ceremonies and functions of state either along with or in place of the president. Traditionally, the First Lady does not hold outside employment while occupying the office.[1] She has her own staff, including the White House Social Secretary, the Chief of Staff, the Press Secretary, the Chief Floral Designer, and the Executive Chef. The Office of the First Lady is also in charge of all social and ceremonial events of the White House, and is a branch of the Executive Office of the President.

According to the White House and the National First Ladies' Library, there have been forty-six First Ladies and forty-seven First Ladyships. This discrepancy exists because Grover Cleveland served two non-consecutive terms and is counted chronologically as both the twenty-second and the twenty-fourth president; his wife Frances Folsom Cleveland is also counted twice.

The White House website keeps bios of all of our First Ladies:

The First Ladies | The White House

And here is also a very good website for such:

First Ladies of the United States

There is a lot of GOOD material about our First Ladies from the above links. I would recommend that you begin reading to see what interesting and unique and wonderful individuals they were.

I will start contributing material about each FLOTUS over the course of the year.

But right now, I would like to say some kind (and historically accurate) things about First Ladies within most peoples' living memory.

Being born in 1963, the first FLOTUS I have in memory is Ladybird Johnson, but Jackie Onassis (formerly Kennedy) was still quite on the scene and very beloved.

Jackie Kennedy was a model of charm and grace an genteel-ness. I cannot imagine any person in the world wanting to say something nasty about that woman. Alone, having to bear the grief and loss of her husband, John Kennedy, should be enough to simply honor her and her fine memory.

Ladybird Johnson (Claudia Taylor Johnson) was a great lover of nature and she brought that love of nature with her into both the Vice-President's mansion and then into the White House. She is probably best known for her involvement in Head-Start for Pre-K kids.

Pat Nixon was a former High School teacher and lover of theater. In fact, she and Dick Nixon were cast in the same play and there they met and fell in love with each other. As FLOTUS, Pat Nixon worked tirelessly to get people to do volunteer service. She is also probably best known for inviting tons of people to non-denomination ecumenical church services every Sunday.

Betty Ford is one of my favorite First Ladies. Like Gerald Ford, she was a "lucky accident" for our nation. She was Gerald Ford's guiding hand in many matters. The two truly loved each other right through their last days on earth. She had to undergo breast cancer in 1974, and by going public about her cancer, she embolded a lot of women to get themselves checked out. Who knows how many lives Betty Ford saved by simply being an advocate for preventative medicine. Betty Ford also did our nation a big service by coming out as an ex-First Lady and admitting her own alcoholism - again, breaking a lot of tabus. Who knows how many lives Betty Ford may have saved by having been an advocate for getting treatment for alcoholism. And the Betty Ford clinic is still open today. What an incredible woman she was. I also believe that Betty Ford was the first FLOTUS ever to appear on a TV sitcom (or two). I believe she did a neat cameo either in the Bob Newhart show or the Mary Tyler Moore show - or both.

Rosalyn Carter tends to be forgotten some, mostly because she was a very quiet person. A skilled speaker, but a quiet, genteel person with a love of the fine arts, for which she advocated. Both she and then Second-Lady Joan Mondale were great lovers of the fine arts. I would wager that you cannot find even one mean or sour quote from Rosalyn Carter, who, like her husband, is a born-again Christian (Southern Baptist).

Nancy Reagan was the second divorcee in a row, after Betty Ford, to have married a future President in her second marriage. Those two lovely women together broke the tabu that a First Lady somehow could not be a divorcee. Considered aloof by many people, Nancy was anything but aloof. She was an intensely concentrated person and spent tons of time behind the scenes helping veterans and the homeless. She supported the foster Grandparent Program and wrote a book about it in 1982, the year I graduated from High School. She is probably best known for her "Just say no" to drugs program. I always liked and respected her.

Many saw Barbara Bush as the grandmother whom everyone wanted to have in their family. Barbara Bush advocated strongly for literacy programs. VERY STRONGLY. She was the first FLOTUS to advocate for public awareness about HIV/AIDS. I adore Barbara Bush and hopes she still lives a very long time.

With Hillary Clinton, a lot of "molds" were broken, or perhaps re-introduced. Hillary was on the campaign trail in 1992 for her husband Bill more than any other First Lady in our history. She made the first real attempts at Health Care Reform. Like Nancy Reagan before her, Mrs. Clinton wrote a book: "It takes a Village" (1996), for which she received a Grammy. She was and still is a strong advocate for women's issues. And of course, she is the only FLOTUS in history to go on to become a US Senator, a serious Presidential candidate, a Secretary of State and a likely presidential candidate again. I don't think that any FLOTUS in history has as high a name recognition or public profile like Hillary Clinton.

Laura Bush is one of the most charming FLOTUSes I have ever seen up close. I even got to shake her hand once. A truly nice person. Laura was the key force behind then President Bush's "No Child left behind" program. Laura Bush was a main supporter of women's rights in Afghanistan. She is the first FLOTUS ever to give the President's weekly radio address (November, 2001). Laura Bush is the most travelled FLOTUS in history, having visited all 50 states on behalf on the President and 73 foreign countries. She was on a foreign trip for 212 days out of her husband's 2-term presidency, a lot of it in Africa, having advocated for AIDS prevention and hunger prevention, causes that President Bush himself took up, to his great credit. In spite of all sort of partisan strife from 2001-2009, I found Laura Bush to be a class act. Just as I find the current FLOTUS.

I think that history will smile upon Michelle Obama for her "let's move" program to combat obesity, a real problem in the USA, and worldwide. Really not much more to say about her, she he is often in the news, as most FLOTUSes are during their time in the White House.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's time for people to stop snarking about and attacking our current FLOTUS. She is doing nothing that other FLOTUSes have not done. She is filling the role of First Lady as we have seen other first ladies do. And I personally find that people who attack her must be serverely lacking in a lot of categories, not the least of which is sanity.

Going after a politician's spouse, kids, or other family is cheap. But, if the spouse or family are politically involved and active than criticisms based on that activity is fair game. Though I don't spend any time at all involving myself with Mrs. Obama's activities, I watch the news and am aware she does in fact involve herself in policy matters. So if I were to have an objection or complaint about her positions thusly, criticizing her for them is I think perfectly fair. Beyond specific policy complaints however isn't fair.

I have no objection to criticism of what any public figure says and does. If Michelle Obama says something publicly that I object to, it is certainly fair game to criticize what she says. If I think it unseemly for the First Family to take lavish vacations or throw million dollar parties on our dime when the economy is struggling as it is and so many people are suffering, then I see no reason that should not be criticized.

But when the criticism is not for their words or their behavior, but becomes hateful, vulgar characterization of them personally, that is just wrong as it is wrong to do to any person. It is schoolyard stuff and anybody who engages in it immediately lowers their IQ as far as they appear to most others.

But sheesh people. Is there some way to get the spoiler mention tag off this thread so we don't get a notice every time somebody posts to it?

Ever wonder where all those bright red snouts and busted veins in Congress and Government come from? In 2013 the taxpayers footed the bill for $1.5 million for booze in Washington. Liquor flows freely in the White House too. Gotta keep those lobbyists contented and happy.

Foxfyre said:
I have no objection to criticism of what any public figure says and does. If Michelle Obama says something publicly that I object to, it is certainly fair game to criticize what she says. If I think it unseemly for the First Family to take lavish vacations or throw million dollar parties on our dime when the economy is struggling as it is and so many people are suffering, then I see no reason that should not be criticized.

But when the criticism is not for their words or their behavior, but becomes hateful, vulgar characterization of them personally, that is just wrong as it is wrong to do to any person. It is schoolyard stuff and anybody who engages in it immediately lowers their IQ as far as they appear to most others.

There's the rub.

Criticism of her actions is met with the same hostility as those who tweak her fans with obnoxious posts

Foxfyre said:

There's the rub.

Criticism of her actions is met with the same hostility as those who tweak her fans with obnoxious posts

Yes. I am just as repulsed by those on both the left and right who engage in that kind of stuff. I can usually love the person even when they lower themselves to that kind of hateful rhetoric, but it is very hard to respect that. The blind hatred and bigotry and prejudice directed at people who see things differently than we do seems to be a phenomenon of our time. The absurd accusations, for instance, that 'conservatives hate and resist equal treatment for blacks, women, workers etc.' is offensive and stupid to me just as is those who make blanket accusations of liberals of all kinds of hateful things.

It is one thing to say that conservative policy hurts women because. . . .and then make your case. . . but something quite different to say conservatives have a war against women. It is one thing to say that liberal policy is racist and hurts black people because. . . .but something quite different to say liberals are racists who hate black people. Proposed or implemented policy is not the same thing as motive though sometimes it is fair game to suggest a motive for certain kinds of policy.

But is it necessary to characterize Michelle Obama or a Sarah Palin or a Michelle Bachmann or a Hillary Clinton in most unkind terms in order to criticize something they said that (the rhetorical) you think merits criticism?

And when that kind of stupidity

Doug Schoen has not been a Democrat since 1988. He is a Conservative these days, one o the worst types. And this is typical of FOX news to lie about someone's political affiliation.

The last time Doug Schoen actually supported a Democrat was in 1976-1980.

Nice try, FOX. Gotcha.

Well HE claims to be a Democratic strategist and has worked for the Democratic Party--never for the Republicans. Where are you getting your information?

From Schoen's own website
Douglas E. Schoen has been one of the most influential Democratic campaign consultants for over thirty years. A founding partner and principle strategist for Penn, Schoen & Berland, he is widely recognized as one of the co-inventors of overnight polling. - See more at: Douglas E. Schoen - Author of Hopelessly Divided

He worked for Evan Bayh's campaign. You want to call him a Republican?

Doug Schoen left the Democratic party with George H.W. Bush's election in 1988. Doug Schoen has not voted for a Democrat since then. Doug Schoen was hired by FOX precisely because he claims to be a Democrat (he was a pollster for Jimmy Carter) but is not. Doug Schoen was the idiot douchebag "Democrat" who wrote the column that Obama should not run for re-election, there is no way he could win.

Douglas Schoen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doug Schoen supported one single Democrat, in 2010, a DINO. Schoen claims to have worked for the Clinton campaign in 2008, but that is a lie. He wrote like 3 documents for her, that was it. Doug Schoen was responsible for (with John McCain's help) forming the PUMAs, claiming that the Hillary Clinton supporters would NOT vote for Obama on election day, but of course, they did. Anybody in my party who knows him knows that he is less than a DINO. And no one in my party even wants to get near him. For this reason, Doug Schoen does the FOX NEWS / NEWSMAX circuit, because other outlets refuse to hire him and FOX can use him as a "Democrat" who can bash the President. It's all a scam. He is making money off of lying about his party affiliation. It's that simple.

yep. Fox can use him as a supposed strong democratic voice :doubt: in their faux on-show debates. Geez Foxy :rolleyes: Murdoch tee vee has you fooled or you were trying to slip one hack post beneath the radar & got busted :eusa_whistle:

Ever wonder where all those bright red snouts and busted veins in Congress and Government come from? In 2013 the taxpayers footed the bill for $1.5 million for booze in Washington. Liquor flows freely in the White House too. Gotta keep those lobbyists contented and happy.

Lol, and don't forget the meth and coke.

It's fair too to say that family members should be held to a higher standard since they got their power for free not having to run in, and win an election. The First Lady wields very real power and what she says can absolutely effect public perception and policy. But no one elected her. So certainly targetting her with opposition is just as fair as the President. The kids are off-limits naturally and completely.

But is it necessary to characterize Michelle Obama or a Sarah Palin or a Michelle Bachmann or a Hillary Clinton in most unkind terms in order to criticize something they said that (the rhetorical) you think merits criticism?

And when that kind of stupidity

No. Thoughtful posters don't. But more often than not they are met with the most unkind personal attacks. General sweeping accusations that just shut down any debate and bring out the posters who will play that game.

This thread is a prime example. Time for civility, but try to discuss spending and all bets are off. Civility to the op and many others, left and right, means agree with me or else. I threw his own words back at him, maybe that was childish, but clearly his intention was to have a lets bask in how wonderful Michelle is thread. Dumb move, don't you think?

No. Thoughtful posters don't. But more often than not they are met with the most unkind personal attacks. General sweeping accusations that just shut down any debate and bring out the posters who will play that game.

This thread is a prime example. Time for civility, but try to discuss spending and all bets are off. Civility to the op and many others, left and right, means agree with me or else. I threw his own words back at him, maybe that was childish, but clearly his intention was to have a lets bask in how wonderful Michelle is thread. Dumb move, don't you think?

That is where it does get ugly. And stupid. :) One side says I deserve civility and respect because I am on the 'correct' side of the political spectrum and all others who are there with me also deserve civility and credibility. But 'you' don't deserve civility and credibility if you're on the 'wrong' side of the political spectrum, and if you criticize somebody on mine, you are scum.

Plus we are blessed with an unusual collection of communication 'morons' who don't seem capable of making an argument of any kind without being hateful, insulting, sarcastic, or abusive.

Sigh. Maybe I'm being too critical?

Forum List

Back