🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

First Paycheck Since the New Tax Rates Were Enacted

I saw the statement for my first paycheck for this Friday that uses the new tax rates. I cleared an extra $70. I get paid every two weeks so over the year that amount will be $1820. My wife's should be similar since we make about the same amount. Plus throw in the extra $1,000 child tax credit and by the end of this year we'll have an extra $4,000 to $5,000 in our pockets we wouldn't have had if the new tax legislation hadn't passed. I can use a lot of this money to pay down my student loans faster. We've also talked about redoing our master bathroom.

When will Democrats stop lying and claiming that this legislation won't help the middle class?
Good for you. I do want to interject something. You are celebrating your windfall and citing democrats as liars as the tax cuts being,although anecdotal beneficial to you and not detrimental. There is a moral here. Democrats have a different outlook on what role government should take in your live. You say these tax cuts are good for you because it allows you to pay back student loans. I'm European, I pay way higher taxes then an American, conversely my college degree set me back about 20000 euro IN TOTAL. I funded it by working odd jobs when the academical year was done. In fact a student loan doesn't exist here. Funded by a HIGHER tax rate. My wife is American and I've seen how much her family, who are middle class comparatively struggle with my family which is in general blue collar. I wan't you to keep this in mind when touting the virtues of paying less taxes, with what in essence comes down to your children's money since it increases the debt.
Well that is true, the difference is we don't want the government in our lives. We would rather own our lives and not have to go to the govt. Even if it costs us more, but it's not all about efficiency and cost. We prefer more control. It's why we like driving here over public transportation. We'd rather be able to go where we want, when we want then to have to look up some train schedule.
What freedom of choice you imagine having that I don't?

Bill of rights

I saw the statement for my first paycheck for this Friday that uses the new tax rates. I cleared an extra $70. I get paid every two weeks so over the year that amount will be $1820. My wife's should be similar since we make about the same amount. Plus throw in the extra $1,000 child tax credit and by the end of this year we'll have an extra $4,000 to $5,000 in our pockets we wouldn't have had if the new tax legislation hadn't passed. I can use a lot of this money to pay down my student loans faster. We've also talked about redoing our master bathroom.

When will Democrats stop lying and claiming that this legislation won't help the middle class?

That is crazy, especially considering Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said it would be February at the earliest before they were seen on paychecks.

It is almost as if you are making this up...:coffee:

Steven Mnuchin isn't the CEO of my company. What he said was an assumption based on an estimated amount of time it would take for businesses to adjust their tax withholding in their systems. Apparently, my company is ready to go now.

It is almost as if you've never been employed before.... :coffee:

That is crazy, especially considering Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said it would be February at the earliest before they were seen on paychecks.

It is almost as if you are making this up...:coffee:

Steven Mnuchin isn't the CEO of my company. What he said was an assumption based on an estimated amount of time it would take for businesses to adjust their tax withholding in their systems. Apparently, my company is ready to go now.

It is almost as if you've never been employed before.... :coffee:

only for 38 years! I am still a rookie! :banana:

How many years can you count on that income?

Probably for quite a while. Considering I also generally receive anywhere between a 2 to 4% wage each year, not to mention a yearly bonus which I will receive in February, we are pretty happy right now. I'm sorry you are so miserable.

I don't need to imagine it being added to the national debt. Why finance a tax cut instead of infrastructure?

Why does it have to be one or the other? How about we stop being the world's military and use those savings to fund infrastructure, after we balance the budget.

I just realized: Wages have finally gone up a little! :eek:

Was talking about that the other day with the neighbor. Rent's high, gas is kinda high, Bacon's high, yet nobody has any more money coming in. This is great news!

Yup...brings new meaning to bringing home the bacon....now you really can. LOL.

Good for you. I do want to interject something. You are celebrating your windfall and citing democrats as liars as the tax cuts being,although anecdotal beneficial to you and not detrimental. There is a moral here. Democrats have a different outlook on what role government should take in your live. You say these tax cuts are good for you because it allows you to pay back student loans. I'm European, I pay way higher taxes then an American, conversely my college degree set me back about 20000 euro IN TOTAL. I funded it by working odd jobs when the academical year was done. In fact a student loan doesn't exist here. Funded by a HIGHER tax rate. My wife is American and I've seen how much her family, who are middle class comparatively struggle with my family which is in general blue collar. I wan't you to keep this in mind when touting the virtues of paying less taxes, with what in essence comes down to your children's money since it increases the debt.
Well that is true, the difference is we don't want the government in our lives. We would rather own our lives and not have to go to the govt. Even if it costs us more, but it's not all about efficiency and cost. We prefer more control. It's why we like driving here over public transportation. We'd rather be able to go where we want, when we want then to have to look up some train schedule.

Bill of rights

What specific freedom? Our constitution is based on the same principles of equality as yours. That's of course my point.

Bill of rights

What specific freedom? Our constitution is based on the same principles of equality as yours. That's of course my point.
Our Constitution is about equality under the law, which was new back then. NOT about equality of result or lifestyle.

Bill of rights

Our Constitution is about equality under the law, which was new back then. NOT about equality of result or lifestyle.
If you claim you have more choice because of not having the government in your lives, I think me asking what choices you have that I don't is a reasonable question. I don't mind you, making the claim, I mind making claims you are unwilling or unable to substantiate. As for equality under the law. This is as far as I know a basic tenant of all humanists constitutions. The fact that you were the first doesn't mean you are the ONLY country who adopted that principle. So my question remains, what freedom of choice do you have that I don't? And if you can't name one isn't it reasonable to say that the argument falls short?

Bill of rights

If you claim you have more choice because of not having the government in your lives, I think me asking what choices you have that I don't is a reasonable question. I don't mind you, making the claim, I mind making claims you are unwilling or unable to substantiate. As for equality under the law. This is as far as I know a basic tenant of all humanists constitutions. The fact that you were the first doesn't mean you are the ONLY country who adopted that principle. So my question remains, what freedom of choice do you have that I don't? And if you can't name one isn't it reasonable to say that the argument falls short?
Well laws can effect choise a lot.

Lets look at drinking soda, I want to drink soda, so why does the government care how big a cup I have?
or lightbulbs
I like a good old incandescent light or maybe the other types are too expensive, why should I have to buy a CFL or an LED bulb?
or I like to target shoot or want a gun for protection, why do I need to go through tons of hoops if I can even get a gun at all?

Bill of rights

5 ways Americans and Europeans are different

If the Goverment is fiscally responsible it wouldn't be an issue.

Bill of rights

Well laws can effect choise a lot.

Lets look at drinking soda, I want to drink soda, so why does the government care how big a cup I have?
or lightbulbs
I like a good old incandescent light or maybe the other types are too expensive, why should I have to buy a CFL or an LED bulb?
or I like to target shoot or want a gun for protection, why do I need to go through tons of hoops if I can even get a gun at all?
Yes and every country fills this in differently. For instance, would you think it reasonable that the government would allow you to own a rocket launcher? After all this would be a personal choice. Or a nuke to make it entirely ridiculous? At a certain point the government has to weigh personal freedom against societal benefit, saying the government shouldn't would create a lot of harm. Are you fine with the government making seat belts mandatory? What about not using cellphones while driving? My government has a bigger hand in for instance healthcare. It doesn't restrict our choices in healthcare in the slightest. In fact it increases our choices because we are less constrained by financial status. I'm free to send my kid to any school I want, it's not tied to a school district, that's a choice that isn't as readily available to Americans. On the other hand my government will have something to say about for instance the type of bags grocery stores are allowed to use, or the size of cups (although I confess I don't know if it's regulated.) You are trying to claim the government by interfering limits choice, the problem is the government has a responsibility to protect it's people, this means sometimes even protecting it against itself. Using it as an argument so hardly paying taxes becomes a moral thing to do isn't logical.

Bill of rights

All true, at least in my case.

If the Goverment is fiscally responsible it wouldn't be an issue.
Raising taxes when running a deficit, would be fiscally responsible. Are you for that?

Well, that's were being an owner of a business sucks, at least in the measurement context described in the OP. One's "paychecks" have no such withholdings, so seeing the impact requires more effort than looking at a pay stub. C'est la vie....

No. A business owner has itemized deductions. I own two companies.

Bill of rights

Actually come to think of it. Three I don't agree with. I don't mind people questioning beliefs.

All true, at least in my case.
Actually 3 I don't agree with, people should be able to question beliefs or minority opinions, or opinions about minorities for that matter.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back