Florida Concealed Carry permits handed out at 20,000 a month…and gun crime is going down, not up...

Yes…..as the gun murder rate in the country goes down, Florida is issuing more concealed carry permits….

Florida Concealed Carry Permits Reach 1.5 Million, Adding 20,000 Each Month | Concealed Nation

And gun violence is going down where concealed carry permits aren't being issued.

By your logic, the Mentalist on CBS is lowering gun violence. After all......the show came on and gun violence began to fall. Coexistence means causation, right?

The crime rate around the country fell as states began allowing concealed carry. Was this the entire reason crime fell, no, but the other factors like more police and new police techniques weren't the only reason either……they both played a part. And armed citizens stopping attacks and either holding criminals for police or injuring or killing them does in fact effect the crime rate…those criminals are stopped from victimizing other people as well….until prosecutors and judges let them go….

Technology probably plays the biggest role. Cameras and alarm systems all over. Criminals are caught after one or two crimes rather than after a long crime spree. Concealed carry does not effect crime rates.

All I know is that here in Las Vegas this year, home invasions are being carried out by groups of 2-4 people who are armed and I'm comforted by the fact I'm armed and can affect at least one potential crime statistic and victim.....namely me! Somehow, that reality eludes you.

Your chance of being shot when they are also armed is pretty good. Why is that comforting?

Would rather die on my feet, than on my knees...........

And gun violence is going down where concealed carry permits aren't being issued.

By your logic, the Mentalist on CBS is lowering gun violence. After all......the show came on and gun violence began to fall. Coexistence means causation, right?

The crime rate around the country fell as states began allowing concealed carry. Was this the entire reason crime fell, no, but the other factors like more police and new police techniques weren't the only reason either……they both played a part. And armed citizens stopping attacks and either holding criminals for police or injuring or killing them does in fact effect the crime rate…those criminals are stopped from victimizing other people as well….until prosecutors and judges let them go….

Technology probably plays the biggest role. Cameras and alarm systems all over. Criminals are caught after one or two crimes rather than after a long crime spree. Concealed carry does not effect crime rates.

All I know is that here in Las Vegas this year, home invasions are being carried out by groups of 2-4 people who are armed and I'm comforted by the fact I'm armed and can affect at least one potential crime statistic and victim.....namely me! Somehow, that reality eludes you.

Your chance of being shot when they are also armed is pretty good. Why is that comforting?

Actually..12.8 million people carry guns for self defense...total number of accidental gun deaths....in 2103....505.

What does that have to do with criminals shooting you? It does show you are twice as likely to accidently shoot and kill someone than to intentionally kill a criminal in defense.

Yes…..as the gun murder rate in the country goes down, Florida is issuing more concealed carry permits….

Florida Concealed Carry Permits Reach 1.5 Million, Adding 20,000 Each Month | Concealed Nation

the actual research shows you are wrong....

No it does not. Look at the Harvard study.

Dead is dead hardly seems comforting to me.

Once again, unarmed on your knees is not comforting.........armed on ones' feet, you still have a chance. Reality, still evades you.........

As we saw in the riots of the democrats in Ferguson...the stores with armed citizens...were not looted. The SUV driver who was surrounded by democrats....they saw he had a gun and the left him alone.

Of course, in a city or state where they harrass and prevent people from carrying concealed weapons, the democrat who is robbing someone, and that someone is fortunate to have a gun....they run away....and then go find someone like brain who doesn't have a gun and robs them....so guns deterred one crime but a lack of guns allowed the criminal to simply move to an unarmed victim....

Actually..12.8 million people carry guns for self defense...total number of accidental gun deaths....in 2103....505.

What does that have to do with criminals shooting you? It does show you are twice as likely to accidently shoot and kill someone than to intentionally kill a criminal in defense.

But of course you lie by omission...since most encounters with criminals do not end with shooting the criminal you are hiding the truth. In and average of 2 million defensive uses a year, most do not involve shots being fired, but guns used to stop a crime far outnumber gun accident...where only 505 people died of gun accidents in 2013.

The harvard study is crap.

The real gun self defense studies....

I just averaged the studies......which were conducted by different researchers, from both private and public researchers, over a period of 40 years looking specifically at guns and self defense....the name of the researcher is first, then the year then the number of times they determined guns were used for self defense......notice how many of them there are and how many of them were done by gun grabbers like the clinton Justice Dept. and the obama CDC

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....
GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717 ( no cops, military)
DMIa 1978...2,141,512 ( no cops, military)
L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,68 ( no cops, military)
Kleck......1994...2.5 million ( no cops, military)

Obama's CDC....2013....500,000--3million

--------------------

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIb...1978...1,098,409 ( no cops, military)

Hart...1981...1.797,461 ( no cops, military)

Mauser...1990...1,487,342 ( no cops, military)

Gallup...1993...1,621,377 ( no cops, military)

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million

Journal of Quantitative Criminology--- 989,883 times per year."

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

-------------------------------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036 (no cops, military)

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..
If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

Here is something, let's see...from 2013....

An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
Abstract
The purpose of the present study is to determine the effects of state-level assault weapons bans and concealed weapons laws on state-level murder rates.

Using data for the period 1980 to 2009 and controlling for state and year fixed effects, the results of the present study suggest that states with restrictions on the carrying of concealed weapons had higher gun-related murder rates than other states.

It was also found that assault weapons bans did not significantly affect murder rates at the state level. These results suggest that restrictive concealed weapons laws may cause an increase in gun-related murders at the state level. The results of this study are consistent with some prior research in this area, most notably Lott and Mustard (1997).

'And the results.....

IV. Results and Concluding Remarks
Results are presented on Table 1

. The CCW dummy variable is significant and positive, but the assault weap-
ons ban is insignificant. Given that the average gun-

related murder rate over the period in question was
3.44, the results of the present study indicate that states
with more restrictive CCW laws had gun-related murder

rates that were 10% higher.

In addition, the Federal assault weapons ban is significant and positive, indicat-
ing that murder rates were 19.3% higher when the
Federal ban was in effect.

These results corroborate the findings of Lott and Mustard (1997). These results sug-
gest that, even after controlling for unobservable state
and year fixed effects, limiting the ability to carry con-
cealed weapons may cause murder rates to increase.
There may, however, be other explanations for these

Last edited:
And even more studies that show that concealed carry lowers the crime rate...

http://crimepreventionresearchcente...-Maryland-Law-Review-Lott-Concealed-Carry.pdf

Lott...list of papers...

Of course, the single paper that Shermer cites was mentioned and discussed at length in the review of the literature that Lott provided in More Guns, Less Crime (click on screen shots to make them larger). Unfortunately, Scientific American wasn’t willing to allow a link to this list of papers.

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.org/2014/11/do-right-to-carry-laws-reduce-violent-crime/

A 2012 survey of the literature is available here. Some of the research showing that concealed carry laws reduce violent crime is listed here.

Crime, Deterrence, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns by John R. Lott, Jr. and David B. Mustard, Journal of Legal Studies, 1997

The Effect of Concealed Weapons Laws: An Extreme Bound Analysis by William Alan Bartley and Mark A Cohen, published in Economic Inquiry, April 1998 (Copy available here)

Criminal Deterrence, Geographic Spillovers, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns by Stephen Bronars and John R. Lott, Jr., American Economic Review, May 1998

The Impact of Gun Laws on Police Deaths by David Mustard, published in the Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Privately Produced General Deterrence By BRUCE L. BENSON AND BRENT D. MAST, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Does the Right to Carry Concealed Handguns Deter Countable Crimes? Only a Count Analysis Can Say By FLORENZ PLASSMANN AND T. NICOLAUS TIDEMAN, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Testing for the Effects of Concealed Weapons Laws: Specification Errors and Robustness By CARLISLE E. MOODY, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Safe-Storage Gun Laws: Accidental Deaths, Suicides, and Crime By JOHN R. LOTT, JR., AND JOHN E. WHITLEY, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Right-to-Carry Concealed Weapon Laws and Homicide in Large U.S. Counties: The Effect on Weapon Types, Victim Characteristics, and Victim-Offender Relationships By DAVID E. OLSON AND MICHAEL D. MALTZ, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

The Impact of Banning Juvenile Gun Possession By Thomas B. Marvell, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Measurement Error in County-Level UCR Data by John R. Lott, Jr. and John Whitley, published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology, June 2003, Volume 19, Issue 2, pp 185-198

Confirming More Guns, Less Crime by Florenz Plassmann and John Whitley, published in the Stanford Law Review, 2003

Using Placebo Laws to Test “More Guns, Less Crime” by Eric Helland and Alexander Tabarrok, published in Advances in Economic Analysis and Policy, 4 (1): Article 1, 2004

Multiple Victim Public Shootings, Bombings, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handgun Laws: Contrasting Private and Public Law Enforcement By John R. Lott, Jr. and William Landes, published in The Bias Against Guns

More Readers of Gun Magazines, But Not More Crimes by Florenz Plassmann and John R. Lott, Jr.

“More Guns, Less Crime” by John R Lott, Jr. (University of Chicago Press, 2010, 3rd edition).

“The Debate on Shall-Issue Laws” by Carlisle e. Moody, Thomas B. Marvell, Paul R Zimmerman, and Fasil Alemante published in Review of Economics & Finance, 2014

“An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates” by Mark Giusa published in Applied Economics Letters, Volume 21, Issue 4, 2014

“The Debate on Shall-Issue Laws” by Carlisle e. Moody and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, volume 5, number 3, September 2008

“The Debate on Shall Issue Laws, Continued” by Carlisle e. Moody and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, Volume 6, Number 2 May 2009

“Did John Lott Provide Bad Data to the NRC? A Note on Aneja, Donohue, and Zhang” by Carlisle e. Moody, John R Lott, Jr, and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, Volume 10, Number 1, January 2013

More Guns, Less Crime: A Response to Ayres and Donohue’s 1999 book review in the American Law and Economics Review by John R. Lott, Jr.

Right-to-Carry Laws and Violent Crime Revisited: Clustering, Measurement Error, and State-by-State Break downs by John R. Lott, Jr.

But of course you lie by omission...since most encounters with criminals do not end with shooting the criminal you are hiding the truth. In and average of 2 million defensive uses a year, most do not involve shots being fired, but guns used to stop a crime far outnumber gun accident...where only 505 people died of gun accidents in 2013.

That's because your 2 million is imaginary and not even mathematically possible.

I just averaged the studies......which were conducted by different researchers, from both private and public researchers, over a period of 40 years looking specifically at guns and self defense....the name of the researcher is first, then the year then the number of times they determined guns were used for self defense......notice how many of them there are and how many of them were done by gun grabbers like the clinton Justice Dept. and the obama CDC

And these aren't all of the studies either...there are more...and they support the ones below.....

A quick guide to the studies and the numbers.....the full lay out of what was studied by each study is in the links....

--------------------

(Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.[18])

Paper: "Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment." By David McDowall and others. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, March 2000. Measuring Civilian Defensive Firearm Use: A Methodological Experiment - Springer

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..
If you take the studies from that Kleck cites in his paper, 16 of them....and you only average the ones that exclude military and police shootings..the average becomes 2 million...I use those studies because I have the details on them...and they are still 10 studies (including Kleck's)....

Almost all say it is less than 2 million...

Fullscreen+capture+862014+22340+PM.jpg

And even more studies that show that concealed carry lowers the crime rate...

http://crimepreventionresearchcente...-Maryland-Law-Review-Lott-Concealed-Carry.pdf

Lott...list of papers...

Of course, the single paper that Shermer cites was mentioned and discussed at length in the review of the literature that Lott provided in More Guns, Less Crime (click on screen shots to make them larger). Unfortunately, Scientific American wasn’t willing to allow a link to this list of papers.

Do Right-to-carry laws reduce violent crime? - Crime Prevention Research Center

A 2012 survey of the literature is available here. Some of the research showing that concealed carry laws reduce violent crime is listed here.

Crime, Deterrence, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns by John R. Lott, Jr. and David B. Mustard, Journal of Legal Studies, 1997

The Effect of Concealed Weapons Laws: An Extreme Bound Analysis by William Alan Bartley and Mark A Cohen, published in Economic Inquiry, April 1998 (Copy available here)

Criminal Deterrence, Geographic Spillovers, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns by Stephen Bronars and John R. Lott, Jr., American Economic Review, May 1998

The Impact of Gun Laws on Police Deaths by David Mustard, published in the Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Privately Produced General Deterrence By BRUCE L. BENSON AND BRENT D. MAST, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Does the Right to Carry Concealed Handguns Deter Countable Crimes? Only a Count Analysis Can Say By FLORENZ PLASSMANN AND T. NICOLAUS TIDEMAN, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Testing for the Effects of Concealed Weapons Laws: Specification Errors and Robustness By CARLISLE E. MOODY, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Safe-Storage Gun Laws: Accidental Deaths, Suicides, and Crime By JOHN R. LOTT, JR., AND JOHN E. WHITLEY, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Right-to-Carry Concealed Weapon Laws and Homicide in Large U.S. Counties: The Effect on Weapon Types, Victim Characteristics, and Victim-Offender Relationships By DAVID E. OLSON AND MICHAEL D. MALTZ, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

The Impact of Banning Juvenile Gun Possession By Thomas B. Marvell, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Measurement Error in County-Level UCR Data by John R. Lott, Jr. and John Whitley, published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology, June 2003, Volume 19, Issue 2, pp 185-198

Confirming More Guns, Less Crime by Florenz Plassmann and John Whitley, published in the Stanford Law Review, 2003

Using Placebo Laws to Test “More Guns, Less Crime” by Eric Helland and Alexander Tabarrok, published in Advances in Economic Analysis and Policy, 4 (1): Article 1, 2004

Multiple Victim Public Shootings, Bombings, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handgun Laws: Contrasting Private and Public Law Enforcement By John R. Lott, Jr. and William Landes, published in The Bias Against Guns

More Readers of Gun Magazines, But Not More Crimes by Florenz Plassmann and John R. Lott, Jr.

“More Guns, Less Crime” by John R Lott, Jr. (University of Chicago Press, 2010, 3rd edition).

“The Debate on Shall-Issue Laws” by Carlisle e. Moody, Thomas B. Marvell, Paul R Zimmerman, and Fasil Alemante published in Review of Economics & Finance, 2014

“An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates” by Mark Giusa published in Applied Economics Letters, Volume 21, Issue 4, 2014

“The Debate on Shall-Issue Laws” by Carlisle e. Moody and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, volume 5, number 3, September 2008

“The Debate on Shall Issue Laws, Continued” by Carlisle e. Moody and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, Volume 6, Number 2 May 2009

“Did John Lott Provide Bad Data to the NRC? A Note on Aneja, Donohue, and Zhang” by Carlisle e. Moody, John R Lott, Jr, and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, Volume 10, Number 1, January 2013

More Guns, Less Crime: A Response to Ayres and Donohue’s 1999 book review in the American Law and Economics Review by John R. Lott, Jr.

Right-to-Carry Laws and Violent Crime Revisited: Clustering, Measurement Error, and State-by-State Break downs by John R. Lott, Jr.

Almost all are gun nut lott. He uses surveys that don't even exist.

Again if it were true we would have the lowest crime rates in the world. We are far from that.

Once again, unarmed on your knees is not comforting.........armed on ones' feet, you still have a chance. Reality, still evades you.........

You realize it's very unlikely to be killed by a stranger right? If you aren't involved in criminal activity it is a very safe country.

--------------------

Ohio...1982...771,043

Gallup...1991...777,152

Almost all say it is less than 2 million...
You claimed 250 uses in a year which is bald faced lie. Even using the LOWEST number from those studies it is over 650 THOUSAND uses.

You realize it's very unlikely to be killed by a stranger right? If you aren't involved in criminal activity it is a very safe country.

Yes...and even safer if you carry a gun........

Forum List

Back