Florida Gov. DeSantis Has Just Signed A Bill Into Law That Would Allow Everyday Floridians To Sue Big Tech Platforms For Monetary Damages

There's a place for lies, slander, dangerous medical advice, personal attacks and insane conspiracy theories. Maybe Conservative Treehouse or WMD would be appropriate for Trump.
maybe

but that doesn’t negate the fact that all that takes place on facebook and tweeter as well, and they shouldn’t be above the law and protected from liability

That's the point.. Facebook doesn't want the liability associated with lies, slander and bad medical advice. Trump needs to take that on himself.. He's trying to undermine the election process. Facebook doesn't want to be party to that.

Trump should take on the liability of his lies and conspiracy theories.

No, that's NOT the point, because Facebook doesn't currently face any liabilities associated with the content posted by its users. Basically, you're doing the same dishonest shit they're trying to: demanding that they get to act like publishers, while trying to cloak your bigotry in the mantle of "platform".

You have no business accusing anyone else of being a liar, given that you've never said a truthful word in all the time you've been spewing shit on this board. Oh, and the word "lie" is not defined as "saying things I don't like". Good to know that your knowledge of the English language is as extensive as your knowledge of the law.

Democrats running around screaming free markets! Free markets! Just unbelievable. Literally, as if they care about free markets.

They are just cheering because it's working, Republicans are being silenced.

And dblack doesn't see a problem
it’s not even about free markets. Free markets welcome the exchange of ideas, not censorship.

with that said, facebook is free in a free society to publish the content they want...with that said they should therefore be treated the same as everyone else in that business
Exchange of ideas like football players kneeling during the National Anthem? How did the right like that exchange of ideas?
I think some folks didn't like it....what's your point? I am not seeing the connection here. Facebook is free to have requirements of their employees as well. Facebook employees can sue Facebook....just like Kap was free to sue the NFL.

what we however is talking about something different all together. We are talking about consumers being able to sue Facebook. Just like consumers are free to sue the New Yorker, or NY Times....why do you continue to think that Facebook should be immune, be treated differently and get better protections?
you can sue anybody for anything.
You can sue FB.
HOWEVER
Passing a law to create a cause of action where none exists for the purpose of damaging specific entities is unconstitutional.
Article 1 Section 9 "No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."
sorry no facebook and tweeter are protected under federal law from liability

Govt can make laws creating a cause of action

this isn’t a bill or attained or ex post facto law. 1) it’s not criminal 2) nobody is saying they are guilty of anything
Government CANNOT make laws intended to harm individuals.
It's that Constitution you guys love to ignore.
huh? not sure what you are talking about
Look up.
It's right there.
i did...didn’t see anything

first off, govt makes laws that harm individuals all the time. so no clue what you are talking about

And it says in the constitution that you can't sue big tech?
What do you think you’re suing them for?

For Monetary Damages, wtf, didn't you read the thread title?

Monetary damages caused by what? You guys don’t even know.
Facebook allowing users on their platform to Dox other users for one thing.
Doxxing isn’t very nice, but it hardly incurs legal liability.
It does when Facebook allows groups that engage in this to do it on their platform and knowingly allows them to go after small business owners with the intent to hurt their businesses.
Nope. Doxxing is constitutionally protected speech.
It’s against their site rules... but they allow it for “ certain” political groups.
If you say so. Still would be unconstitutional to sue because of it.
Stalking is a crime. Facebooks user rules say you may not perpetrate illegal acts on their platform. Therefore since they allow it. They are breaking a users terms of service. And can be sued.
Doxxing and stalking are not the same thing. I don’t think Facebook can sue Facebook for breaking Facebook’s terms of service.
Doxing is punishing you personal information online with the intent to get fellow users to stalk and harass another user. So...yes it is.
Good luck proving intent.
Wouldn’t be that hard...just save the posts.
Unless the post says “and now you should stalk this person” it’s pretty hard.
Well since they allow private groups on their platform that’s sole intent is to actively search for users private information to dox them with. I doubt it’s that hard.

There's a place for lies, slander, dangerous medical advice, personal attacks and insane conspiracy theories. Maybe Conservative Treehouse or WMD would be appropriate for Trump.
maybe

but that doesn’t negate the fact that all that takes place on facebook and tweeter as well, and they shouldn’t be above the law and protected from liability

That's the point.. Facebook doesn't want the liability associated with lies, slander and bad medical advice. Trump needs to take that on himself.. He's trying to undermine the election process. Facebook doesn't want to be party to that.

No, that's NOT the point, because Facebook doesn't currently face any liabilities associated with the content posted by its users. Basically, you're doing the same dishonest shit they're trying to: demanding that they get to act like publishers, while trying to cloak your bigotry in the mantle of "platform".

You have no business accusing anyone else of being a liar, given that you've never said a truthful word in all the time you've been spewing shit on this board. Oh, and the word "lie" is not defined as "saying things I don't like". Good to know that your knowledge of the English language is as extensive as your knowledge of the law.

Democrats running around screaming free markets! Free markets! Just unbelievable. Literally, as if they care about free markets.

it’s not even about free markets. Free markets welcome the exchange of ideas, not censorship.

with that said, facebook is free in a free society to publish the content they want...with that said they should therefore be treated the same as everyone else in that business
Exchange of ideas like football players kneeling during the National Anthem? How did the right like that exchange of ideas?
I think some folks didn't like it....what's your point? I am not seeing the connection here. Facebook is free to have requirements of their employees as well. Facebook employees can sue Facebook....just like Kap was free to sue the NFL.

what we however is talking about something different all together. We are talking about consumers being able to sue Facebook. Just like consumers are free to sue the New Yorker, or NY Times....why do you continue to think that Facebook should be immune, be treated differently and get better protections?
You can sue FB.
HOWEVER
Passing a law to create a cause of action where none exists for the purpose of damaging specific entities is unconstitutional.
Article 1 Section 9 "No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed."

this isn’t a bill or attained or ex post facto law. 1) it’s not criminal 2) nobody is saying they are guilty of anything
How is allowing Facebook to be sued for cause "making a law intended to harm individuals?"
The "cause" doesn't exist. Only exists because a law was created for the express purpose of creating a cause SO FB could be sued and remember..."Corporations are people my friend."
govt can create cause of action

Lol, ever heard of unenforceable laws? The internet crosses state and international lines Florida can not force it's will across the world. Great publicity stunt though. Dumb fucks will believe it has some sort of meaning
A civil judge will determine that, and maybe the US Supreme Court too.

Of course it is a restriction of freedom of speech. It is outright stopping speech.
You forget to mention that they're only stopping speech on property that they own and operate.
So ? If I stab somebody on my front lawn, I don't get held accountable, because it's my lawn ? Twitter should be shitting a brick over this law, and the many state laws and US law that are coming up next.

maybe

You can sue FB.
HOWEVER

How is allowing Facebook to be sued for cause "making a law intended to harm individuals?"
The "cause" doesn't exist. Only exists because a law was created for the express purpose of creating a cause SO FB could be sued and remember..."Corporations are people my friend."
Yes. That's generally how causes of action come about, unless they already existed at common law.
But those laws cannot be directed at specific individuals.
Article 1, Section 9.
hahaa it’s not a bill or attainer because it’s not convicting anyone of a crime
I'm sure your opinion is well respected in toilets around the country but it is wrong.

maybe

You can sue FB.
HOWEVER

Look up.
It's right there.

first off, govt makes laws that harm individuals all the time. so no clue what you are talking about
You last phrase is the only thing you said that was accurate.

Show me a law directly targeting an individual for harm.

Of course it is a restriction of freedom of speech. It is outright stopping speech.
You forget to mention that they're only stopping speech on property that they own and operate.
So ? If I stab somebody on my front lawn, I don't get held accountable, because it's my lawn ? Twitter should be shitting a brick over this law, and the many state laws and US law that are coming up next.
It's just so incredibly frustrating that people are so fucking stupid about this topic.

People have a right to kick others off their property, don't they?

Once, long ago, you threatened to have someone on these forums arrested for calling you a dumbass (actually claimed the sheriff's dept had a warrant). And now you propose to protect free speech on private property?

maybe

You can sue FB.
HOWEVER

Not directed at harming a specific individual.

maybe

You can sue FB.
HOWEVER

Yes. That's generally how causes of action come about, unless they already existed at common law.
But those laws cannot be directed at specific individuals.
Article 1, Section 9.
hahaa it’s not a bill or attainer because it’s not convicting anyone of a crime
I'm sure your opinion is well respected in toilets around the country but it is wrong.
haha it’s not an opinion...it’s the definition

maybe

You can sue FB.
HOWEVER

this law isn’t directed at a specific individual

maybe

You can sue FB.
HOWEVER

Look up.
It's right there.

You last phrase is the only thing you said that was accurate.

Show me a law directly targeting an individual for harm.
this law isn’t directed at a specific individual for harm

maybe

You can sue FB.
HOWEVER

You have to be a moron if you believe using the "bill of attainder" accusation as an argument.

maybe

You can sue FB.
HOWEVER

You have to be a moron if you believe using the "bill of attainder" accusation as an argument.
he’s not a moron for not knowing what it is, but he’s a moron for continuing to use the excuse after being told he’s wrong snd not bothering to look up the definition

Forum List

Back