Florida man (veteran) faces 120-year sentence for firing 2 shots in the air.

Welcome to the world of Right wingers.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A Jacksonville man is facing a 120-year sentence for firing two shots that caused no injuries, The Florida Times-Union reported on Sunday.

The trial of Army Veteran Randal Ratledge, 58, is scheduled to start with jury selection on Monday. Defense attorneys have asked the judge to waive the mandatory guidelines, but court officials said Judge Jack Schemer is bound by the state law.

Ratledge, 58, was charged with six counts of aggravated assault after a 2012 incident involving his neighbors. Authorities said Rutledge fired shots in the air and screamed profanities at the six neighbors. He was charged with one count of aggravated assault on each of the neighbors.

Florida man faces 120-year sentence for firing 2 shots

but but but a kid who kills a bunch of people while deliberately driving drunk gets 10 years probation cause he was too spoiled and lived in an affluent lifestyle and so therefore did not know any better.

Turns out that this man was under the influence of Ambien and has no recollection of the incident.

120 years folks.

Firing a gun into the air is a reckless thing to do. The bullet lands somewhere no matter where you point the gun. When you shoot, you are responsible for every round. 120 years is ridiculous but this guy shouldn't get off entirely even if he's a veteran, and nobody was hurt, or any other reason.
Sigh......

I fucking hate liberals
You can hate liberals all you want. That has nothing to do with the reality of what this guy did.
Yeah, the "reality."

Fucking idiot

There is no limit to the punishment Liberals are prepared to dole out to any who don't toe their line.

$135,000 fine to a bakery that wouldn't bake a cake for someone.

Firing a gun into the air is a reckless thing to do. The bullet lands somewhere no matter where you point the gun. When you shoot, you are responsible for every round. 120 years is ridiculous but this guy shouldn't get off entirely even if he's a veteran, and nobody was hurt, or any other reason.
Sigh......

I fucking hate liberals
You can hate liberals all you want. That has nothing to do with the reality of what this guy did.
Yeah, the "reality."

Fucking idiot

There is no limit to the punishment Liberals are prepared to dole out to any who don't toe their line.

Huh? The baker being punished for not making a gay wedding cake is the same thing as firing a gun during an altercation? I am no liberal but have been called that, along with other ugly names on this thread all because I believe you must be very careful with your guns! I know I am. And I expect others to be just as careful.

As I said before, I don't think this guy should go to prison for 120 years over this lapse of good sense but he should AT THE VERY LEAST review safe gun operation because he seems to have forgotten that bullets shot into the air do not vanish into the clouds- bullets come down.

Sigh......

I fucking hate liberals
Yeah, the "reality."

Fucking idiot

Huh? The baker being punished for not making a gay wedding cake is the same thing as firing a gun during an altercation? I am no liberal but have been called that, along with other ugly names on this thread all because I believe you must be very careful with your guns! I know I am. And I expect others to be just as careful.

As I said before, I don't think this guy should go to prison for 120 years over this lapse of good sense but he should AT THE VERY LEAST review safe gun operation because he seems to have forgotten that bullets shot into the air do not vanish into the clouds- bullets come down.

Exactly my point.

BTW....bullets come down harmlessly.
Saw it on 'Mythbusters'
Can falling bullets kill you?

He didn't just shoot into the air, the article in the OP says he shot at the protesters.

Exactly my point.

Saw it on 'Mythbusters'

A bullet fired at people is a different issue.

>>>>

How long are we going to allow people to use prescription drug usage as an alibi for criminal acts? For sure 120 years is extreme but this guy should never have had access to a firearm.

He didn't just shoot into the air, the article in the OP says he shot at the protesters.

Exactly my point.

Saw it on 'Mythbusters'

>>>>
If indeed bullets come down harmlessly (I'm not going to point up and shoot to find out if it's true) is no excuse for discharging a firearm while you are arguing with somebody.

Meanwhile, I still don't see what the baker has to do with all this.

If indeed bullets come down harmlessly (I'm not going to point up and shoot to find out if it's true) is no excuse for discharging a firearm while you are arguing with somebody.

He didn't just shoot into the air, the article in the OP says he shot at the protesters. Bullets coming down harmlessly has nothing to do with bullets shot at people (as a matter of injury, not talking about negligent discharge of a firearm laws.)

>>>>

The guy was obviously a little mentally unstable and / or a jackass. Now if he had felt threatened and fired his weapon up in the air he could have used the 'Joe Biden' defense. Biden told Americans during a speech that they should do what he does if he feels threatened - go out on the balcony / deck and fire his gun up into the air. IF JOE SAYS IT'S OK IT MUST BE!

Exactly my point.

Saw it on 'Mythbusters'

>>>>

It sure is.

Exactly my point.

Saw it on 'Mythbusters'

>>>>

"I still don't see what the baker has to do with all this."

As I said earlier....both are excessive punishments meted out by Liberals for the unpardonable mistake of failing to bow to Liberal doctrine.

1. Firing a gun in the air (as per the title of the thread)....120 years....i.e., a death sentence.

2. Refusing to bake a cake for an anthorized Liberal constituency,....$135,000 fine...i.e., ending the business.

Other iterations of Liberalism, e.g., communism, Nazism, fascism....all big government collectivizations were less subtle in their punishments.
All punish individualism in thought and action.

Exactly my point.

Saw it on 'Mythbusters'

>>>>
He should not have fired the gun. It does not appear that his life or the safety ofn

He didn't just shoot into the air, the article in the OP says he shot at the protesters. Bullets coming down harmlessly has nothing to do with bullets shot at people (as a matter of injury, not talking about negligent discharge of a firearm laws.)

>>>>
I missed that. I thought he shot into the air. That would certainly explain why charges were pressed.

Exactly my point.

Saw it on 'Mythbusters'

>>>>

As I said earlier....both are excessive punishments meted out by Liberals for the unpardonable mistake of failing to bow to Liberal doctrine.

1. Firing a gun in the air (as per the title of the thread)....120 years....i.e., a death sentence.

2. Refusing to bake a cake for an anthorized Liberal constituency,....$135,000 fine...i.e., ending the business.

Other iterations of Liberalism, e.g., communism, Nazism, fascism....all big government collectivizations were less subtle in their punishments.
I agree that liberals have come up with some ridiculous things to exert control over people. The baker is an example of that. However, I disagree strongly when it comes to the firing of a gun. I realize I may be an uber Girl Scout when it comes to gun safety but I refuse to blame liberal bullshit when somebody does not handle their gun with prudence.

The guy was obviously a little mentally unstable and / or a jackass. Now if he had felt threatened and fired his weapon up in the air he could have used the 'Joe Biden' defense. Biden told Americans during a speech that they should do what he does if he feels threatened - go out on the balcony / deck and fire his gun up into the air. IF JOE SAYS IT'S OK IT MUST BE!
Alas, anyone who believes what Joe Biden says probably ought not be trusted with a gun.

Exactly my point.

Saw it on 'Mythbusters'

>>>>

I agree that liberals have come up with some ridiculous things to exert control over people. The baker is an example of that. However, I disagree strongly when it comes to the firing of a gun. I realize I may be an uber Girl Scout when it comes to gun safety but I refuse to blame liberal bullshit when somebody does not handle their gun with prudence.

"uber Girl Scout "
That's good.

I believe I read that the average sentence when one is found guilty of murder is seven years.

This case, some fool imposed a death sentence for firing a gun....in the air, the title of the thread states.

So..."does not handle their gun with prudence= a sentence equal to six generations."

? Ambien is a sleep aid even for old ladies. I can see it now, everyone turning in their guns at the Rite Aid prescription counter....

Exactly my point.

Saw it on 'Mythbusters'

>>>>

"uber Girl Scout "
That's good.

I believe I read that the average sentence when one is found guilty of murder is seven years.

This case, some fool imposed a death sentence for firing a gun....in the air, the title of the thread states.

So..."does not handle their gun with prudence= a sentence equal to six generations."

He is very unlikely to get 120 years and no sane person here says he should. There are a whole bunch of sentencing requirements on the books that are head scratchers and head shakers. Nonetheless, this isn't a Vast Left Wing Conspiracy moment.

I didn't watch your video. I'm talking to you, not Lana whoever.

? Ambien is a sleep aid even for old ladies. I can see it now, everyone turning in their guns at the Rite Aid prescription counter....
It could happen. You have to jump through a lot of hoops just to get a decongestant. Seriously though, I've heard of Ambian... mostly about some scary side effects... do you know about this medication? If so, do you think an Ambien defense is feasible?

First off, the article says, "According to police reports, Ratledge was talking with friends and neighbors near his Panther Ridge Court home in August 2012 when he went into the house and came back with a gun. He fired a shot in the air, then ran at the people outside screaming profanities while firing a second shot in their direction."
Second, it goes on to say "Prosecutors have previously argued that the six people next door were in fear for their lives and traumatized by the experience."
I realize this article was more about the severity of the sentence required by Florida law than about the actual crime, but Owl, you don't think he should get in any trouble for that? I think everyone agrees it's stupid for the man to get 120 years or even the 18 offered in the plea deal, but the man is not innocent by a long shot. No need to blame liberals for his prosecution. It was equally stupid for a resident of Florida to behave in such a way with his beloved gun. With neighbors like him, who needs jihadists?

Forum List

Back