Food stamps for college students

Sometimes.

A lot of people work jobs that pay them in cash, and they make pretty decent wages. But since they don't report that income, they receive full government benefits.

I even had customers at the pharmacy who would use their Medicaid to buy prescriptions and sell the prescriptions on the street. I reported to Medicaid at least 2 dozen families that were doing this.
That's all clearly illegal. But this food stamps thing isn't.

I see what you mean. Food stamps are allowed for college students. Hell, I may as well sign up. I'm tired of waiting on paychecks to be able to buy groceries.

Or, I could always get food stamps and then sell them on the streets for cash. I know people who have done that, too.

Sometimes.

A lot of people work jobs that pay them in cash, and they make pretty decent wages. But since they don't report that income, they receive full government benefits.

I even had customers at the pharmacy who would use their Medicaid to buy prescriptions and sell the prescriptions on the street. I reported to Medicaid at least 2 dozen families that were doing this.

:eek: those customers REALLY know how to abuse the system! They have taken abuse of selling "food stamps" to buy "street drugs" way beyond the point of no return.

They must be educated crooks!!! :eusa_eh:

Anguille, I actually went through the same thing a few months ago. I was working full-time AND going to school full-time. I was fired from the job because my school schedule would no longer allow me to work, and the bank refused to work with my schedule.

When I applied for unemployment, they told me that I was not able to work 40 hours a week. I told them it was not their decision on how much I was able to work, and I asked if they had ever heard of a thing called "night shift." It annoyed me to no end because I saw plenty of deadbeats waiting in line to get their benefits paid, people who obviously not looking for jobs but still getting the benefits.

That sucks and makes no sense. The job I was laid off from was combo night and graveyard shift. It was a layoff with no advance notice and had a guarantee call back in two weeks. I was in the middle of a semester and didn't want to withdraw so I stayed in school and lied so I could get the one week's compensation I would have been entitled to had I dropped out. At that time I had enough in savings that I probably could have squeaked by without getting too far behind on the rent but I lied anyway. I'm not particularly ashamed of it.

I'm not sure how you know that all those other people in line are not looking for work.

and any able bodied and able minded person using the system instead of working any amount they have to to take care of themselves is indeed abusing the system...
I agree with this for the most part. Though I don't think there really are that many able bodied and minded people abusing the system.

But I'm still not sure in this example. It'd be tempting to take back some of what you've put in.

I asked the same question once about taking FEMA money after a hurricane as reimbursement for chainsaws and a generator. It almost seems stupid to NOT take it.

I agree with this for the most part. Though I don't think there really are that many able bodied and minded people abusing the system.

But I'm still not sure in this example. It'd be tempting to take back some of what you've put in.

I asked the same question once about taking FEMA money after a hurricane as reimbursement for chainsaws and a generator. It almost seems stupid to NOT take it.

Hogwash

I contend that the vast majority of people on "assistance" are indeed able bodied and able minded... they just choose to take the handout

It may seem stupid not to take it to someone who is all about sucking off the tit instead of having personal responsibility.... but it should not to anyone who has any sort of pride, gumption, or self worth

That sucks and makes no sense. The job I was laid off from was combo night and graveyard shift. It was a layoff with no advance notice and had a guarantee call back in two weeks. I was in the middle of a semester and didn't want to withdraw so I stayed in school and lied so I could get the one week's compensation I would have been entitled to had I dropped out. At that time I had enough in savings that I probably could have squeaked by without getting too far behind on the rent but I lied anyway. I'm not particularly ashamed of it.

I'm not sure how you know that all those other people in line are not looking for work.

Because I could hear them talking about it, making comments on how they haven't made any job contacts or anything. It was really frustrating. I actually WAS making job contacts. When I appealed my case, they even called the places I had applied to verify I had applied there, yet they still denied my claim.

I had to take out additional student loan money to be able to survive the summer working part-time.

I contend that the vast majority of people on "assistance" are indeed able bodied and able minded... they just choose to take the handout

I agree. I've seen too many people far healthier than I am that were receiving disability benefits, Medicaid because they "aren't able to work," and foodstamps. It's disgusting.

Did you know that some health insurance policies cover baby formula if you get your doctor to write a prescription for hypo-alergenic formula? Is that an abuse of the system?

This thread reminds me...

Did we ever have the requisite bitch session about that body building firefighter on permanent disability leave?

Did you know that some health insurance policies cover baby formula if you get your doctor to write a prescription for hypo-alergenic formula? Is that an abuse of the system?

Not really. That stuff is expensive. MOST legit doctors will only write the prescription if the child needs it, too.

I don't know, but I think it's clear they aren't sucking off the tit. :D

Not really. That stuff is expensive. MOST legit doctors will only write the prescription if the child needs it, too.

True. But they base that on what the parent tells them.

"Really doc, he just can't keep any of the regular formula down, I swear!"

Hogwash

It may seem stupid not to take it to someone who is all about sucking off the tit instead of having personal responsibility.... but it should not to anyone who has any sort of pride, gumption, or self worth
Well, that doesn't describe me, so I'm not sure why I can't think it is stupid to not benefit from a program one has paid to benefit from.

You can't change the topic unless you first answer the original question.

True. But they base that on what the parent tells them.

"Really doc, he just can't keep any of the regular formula down, I swear!"

Meh, but only insurance plans cover that. People have to pay for their insurance plans, and copays on that stuff is still going to be $10-25 dollars. It COULD be considered insurance fraud, but not really a handout.

People who are on Medicaid usually get free diapers and formula anyway. There are separate government handouts for those things. Sarah Jane Trailertrash can spit out 10 kids and the government will feed and clothe every one of them for her.

Diamond Dave has an interesting habit of reviling people for exhibiting human nature.

If you leave a juicy piece of steak where your dog can reach it and he of course takes it, it's not his fault, it's yours. duh!

Meh, but only insurance plans cover that. People have to pay for their insurance plans, and copays on that stuff is still going to be $10-25 dollars. It COULD be considered insurance fraud, but not really a handout.

People who are on Medicaid usually get free diapers and formula anyway. There are separate government handouts for those things. Sarah Jane Trailertrash can spit out 10 kids and the government will feed and clothe every one of them for her.
Is the government feeding and clothing them for her or for them?

Forum List

Back