Former Bush Official: Fox News Is Hurting Republicans

FoxNews does a great job of keeping Republicans in check

Any Republican strays from the fold, tries to compromise or God forbid is a moderate gets instantly and viciously attacked

Fox News is hurting the Republican Party, according to a study conducted by a top official in the first Bush administration.

The study, authored by Bruce Bartlett, who worked in the Treasury Department under George H. W. Bush and was also a domestic policy adviser to Ronald Reagan, found that Fox viewers tended to be less informed about current affairs than people who watch mainstream news -- and even people who don't watch the news at all.

"Republican voters get so much of their news from Fox, which cheerleads whatever their candidates are doing or saying, that they suffer from wishful thinking and fail to see that they may not be doing as well as they imagine, or that their ideas are not connecting outside the narrow party base," Bartlett said.

Citing a host of other studies, Bartlett found that Fox News viewers tended to have misguided beliefs about the Iraq War, the Affordable Care Act and other major issues. He also noted that Fox's audience tended to hold a bias against Muslims.

"It appears that right-wing bias, including inaccurate reporting, became commonplace on Fox," Bartlett said.

This is especially problematic, he said, because "many conservatives now refuse to even listen to any news or opinion not vetted through Fox, and to believe whatever appears on it as the gospel truth."

More: Fox News Is Hurting Republicans, Former Bush Official Says

How Fox News Is Still Hurting the Republicans - The Atlantic

Amen! It is so refreshing to hear a sane Republican speak the truth. We need more of it.

Republicans hurt themselves not Fox News.

Sounds like the neocons are concerned that some real conservatives are showing up in the party and they've decided to take a page from the democrat war on women and 'Palinize" FoxNews in the fading hopes of holding onto power.

Just more of the same.

It is amazing how the left and the neocons all make fun of people who attack the bias in the media, but then in the next breath, attack FoxNews for bias.

One simply cannot make this shit up.

Fox News is hurting the Republican Party, according to a study conducted by a top official in the first Bush administration.

The study, authored by Bruce Bartlett, who worked in the Treasury Department under George H. W. Bush and was also a domestic policy adviser to Ronald Reagan, found that Fox viewers tended to be less informed about current affairs than people who watch mainstream news -- and even people who don't watch the news at all.

"Republican voters get so much of their news from Fox, which cheerleads whatever their candidates are doing or saying, that they suffer from wishful thinking and fail to see that they may not be doing as well as they imagine, or that their ideas are not connecting outside the narrow party base," Bartlett said.

Citing a host of other studies, Bartlett found that Fox News viewers tended to have misguided beliefs about the Iraq War, the Affordable Care Act and other major issues. He also noted that Fox's audience tended to hold a bias against Muslims.

"It appears that right-wing bias, including inaccurate reporting, became commonplace on Fox," Bartlett said.

This is especially problematic, he said, because "many conservatives now refuse to even listen to any news or opinion not vetted through Fox, and to believe whatever appears on it as the gospel truth."

More: Fox News Is Hurting Republicans, Former Bush Official Says

How Fox News Is Still Hurting the Republicans - The Atlantic

Amen! It is so refreshing to hear a sane Republican speak the truth. We need more of it.

Don't mistake all Republicans = Conservatives. Most republicans are weak. Many Republicans want to be liked by the media and elite like the Democrats are. This was McCain Romney weakness in '08, '12 and will be Jeb Bush weakness in '16 guaranteeing a Democrat victory.

The strongest conservative in my lifetime was Ronald Reagan. He did not give a flying fuck what liberals thought of him. In fact, they hated him. But, they respected him deep down because he did not appease or seek to be liked.

Does anyone honestly think Fox News is "fair and balanced"?
These idiots fo...that s the problem. They destroy true conservatsm and they are tryng to hand the election to the Clinton's.

Even funnier...go to a FNC chat. OMG...these people are ABSOLUTE morons. Ever since the teapers came into play...everything GOP has gone down hill. I am ashamed to admit I am republican...that's why I can only say I am a true conservative. Teapers have molested the GOP to the point where it is unrecognizable

Last edited:
want proof of how the GOP has been raped...idiots like Stephanie now are the voice of the GOP. Oh my gawd.

Even funnier...go to a FNC chat. OMG...these people are ABSOLUTE morons. Ever since the teapers came into play...everything GOP has gone down hill. I am ashamed to admit I am republican...that's why I can only say I am a true conservative. Teapers have molested the GOP to the point where it is unrecognizable

Yeah. Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity... All of their forums are inhabited by Liberals. Of course they are morons.

Yeah. Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity... All of their forums are inhabited by Liberals. Of course they are morons.
Try Happening now...it's actually a smaller chat with some true conservatives..but mostly idiot teapers.

Any Republican strays from the fold, tries to compromise or God forbid is a moderate gets instantly and viciously attacked

Fox News is the most popular and trusted name in news but still far from perfect, I'm fairly sure most Republicans are aware of this. The thing about Fox news is that they expose issues that the liberal news ( :lmao: ) outlets refuse or are just not allowed to report on honestly.

Fox News is the most popular and trusted name in news but still far from perfect, I'm fairly sure most Republicans are aware of this. The thing about Fox news is that they expose issues that the liberal news :)lmao:) outlets refuse or are just not allowed to report on.
Fox has a political angle on every story...that is there downfall. They don;t report news, they editorialize. (Like MSNBC).

But, as much as hate to admit it, MSNBC has the best breaking News coverage.

Fox News is the most popular and trusted name in news but still far from perfect, I'm fairly sure most Republicans are aware of this. The thing about Fox news is that they expose issues that the liberal news :)lmao:) outlets refuse or are just not allowed to report on.
Fox has a political angle on every story...that is there downfall. They don;t report news, they editorialize. (Like MSNBC).

I don't know where you perceive downfall considering their success but as an occasional viewer I'm pretty sure I can separate the fiction from the facts, the political motivations from what I should actually be concerned with. News has an entertainment factor, it's unavoidable.

You have your perspectives, I have mine and the talking heads have theirs, we know this, where's the surprise?

I don't know where you perceive downfall considering their success but as an occasional viewer I'm pretty sure I can separate the fiction from the facts, the political motivations from what I should actually be concerned with. News has an entertainment factor, it's unavoidable.

You have your perspectives, I have mine and the talking heads have theirs, we know this, where's the surprise?
But it is supposed to be NEWS...not commentary...right? I DO watch FNC... enjoy the spon (when it makes sense)...but lately, FNC has gone cuckoo!

As for succes...Discovery Channel is successful too. Do you believe all of their 'reality' shows?

Fox News tells you the truth of technicality but not truth of reality. Try to analyze what they are broadcasting while they steer you to what they want you to hear.
I'm new on this site but there's been several discussions about Fox for awhile.
I don't need Bartlet to tell me Fox is bad. Middle of last month I replied to several post regarding Fox. As I said, There will be repercussions for all these Fox bs.

"Citing a host of other studies, Bartlett found that Fox News viewers tended to have misguided beliefs about the Iraq War, the Affordable Care Act and other major issues. He also noted that Fox's audience tended to hold a bias against Muslims."

And then they come to USMB and start threads based on those misguided beliefs.

In the end...can you really fault FNC? They found a winning formula - Lemonade flavored Kool-Aid. Lemmings love it.

Forum List

Back