Fort Worth Mayor Apologizes For Police Shooting; Officer Resigns

Any resident of any home should be concerned about this officer's conduct....and the legal consequences for them.

As if a cop can unannounced, sneak into your backyard and kill you in your own home through your own window, never identifying themselves as an officer and giving you no reasonable chance for you to comply with their order......and then get away with it?

Then cops can kill anyone in their own home with no accountability.

And that's absolutely unacceptable. Cops are our protectors. And this man did anything BUT protect the resident of that home.
It also makes one wonder how a reversal of roles will play out in the media, and courts..?
Take the same situation; but instead... The woman sees the unannounced stranger draw down on her with his weapon, and she puts one through the middle of his forehead. The same fucks screaming on behalf of the cop in the real life scenario; would be calling for her head in the other.
What can be said..? Some people are just spineless, bootlicking cop groupies...
not at all, she's allowed to defend herself, just like the cop. why can't you understand defending one self? you're a strange fk.
Yeah... I’ll believe that take on it when I see it play out a few times...
don't know how you'll get past it then. I gave you the answer you requested. and you say it doesn't happen. well, it didn't here, nope. but again, what was the cop supposed to do? explain for me. it's dark, 2:30am and he's looking for a burglar based on the call. And, he wasn't alone. go ahead, now explain? did she point the gun at him? The family member says yes.

Sorry, but police need to be smarter than this. He completely put himself into this situation. Its dark? but all the lights were on in the house. He had to think to himself that there is a great chance the residents are home.... that is very important. Why would he be looking primarily for a burglar based on the call, when the call said nothing about suspicious suspects?
This cop has to think in his head that since he has not identified himself as a police officer, any resident inside will not know he is a cop, and being 2 in the morning, and dark outside, he is going to scare anyone who lives there.
He damn well should have announced the police arrival at the front door... shined the spotlight on the dark side of the house and then rang the doorbell. Sure WHAT IF there was a prowler.... but the fact is people live there! no crime was reported! doesnt matter if the resident was holding a gun, sadly in this particular case the police created the situation for disaster.
serious, you're not writing this right? 2:30 am and you think it's light. wow. BTW, the door was open as reported. Son, I can't help your stupid.

It also makes one wonder how a reversal of roles will play out in the media, and courts..?
Take the same situation; but instead... The woman sees the unannounced stranger draw down on her with his weapon, and she puts one through the middle of his forehead. The same fucks screaming on behalf of the cop in the real life scenario; would be calling for her head in the other.
not at all, she's allowed to defend herself, just like the cop. why can't you understand defending one self? you're a strange fk.
don't know how you'll get past it then. I gave you the answer you requested. and you say it doesn't happen. well, it didn't here, nope. but again, what was the cop supposed to do? explain for me. it's dark, 2:30am and he's looking for a burglar based on the call. And, he wasn't alone. go ahead, now explain? did she point the gun at him? The family member says yes.
He was responding to an open structure. If you have evidence to back your claim that he thought he was responding to a burglar; now would be a good time to offer a credible link supporting such...
it was reported as such that Open structure means burglar on premise. I mean, you can look it up.
Uh-huh... Lets see if the jury buys it...

He was responding to an open structure. If you have evidence to back your claim that he thought he was responding to a burglar; now would be a good time to offer a credible link supporting such...
it was reported as such that Open structure means burglar on premise. I mean, you can look it up.

maybe there was failure in communication between the call taker, dispatcher and the cop sent out to investigate.

always goes like that, right? I think a prosecutor needs to bring it in first, right?

Sorry, but police need to be smarter than this. He completely put himself into this situation. Its dark? but all the lights were on in the house. He had to think to himself that there is a great chance the residents are home.... that is very important. Why would he be looking primarily for a burglar based on the call, when the call said nothing about suspicious suspects?
This cop has to think in his head that since he has not identified himself as a police officer, any resident inside will not know he is a cop, and being 2 in the morning, and dark outside, he is going to scare anyone who lives there.
He damn well should have announced the police arrival at the front door... shined the spotlight on the dark side of the house and then rang the doorbell. Sure WHAT IF there was a prowler.... but the fact is people live there! no crime was reported! doesnt matter if the resident was holding a gun, sadly in this particular case the police created the situation for disaster.
serious, you're not writing this right? 2:30 am and you think it's light. wow. BTW, the door was open as reported. Son, I can't help your stupid.

the lights in the house were on... read it again

well he was outside, derp!!!!

I don't believe race played a role in the actions of this officer -- I believe his own incompetence is what played a role in her death...

I've lived in Ft. Worth. There are definitely black sections of town and white sections of town. And the cops know which they're in.

I don't know if it affected this cop's approach to the home he was checking on. But its definitely worth looking into.

Frankly, I'm more interested in this incident motivating a civilian oversight council for FWPD. They are one of the last major cities without one.
I live on the border of Arlington and Fort Worth -- the house was in a predominately black neighborhood but it wasn't really known as a high crime area -- most people there have lived in their homes for decades -- so it made total sense that the neighbor would call when he saw the door was open and the lights were on....however, it was the first day in Dallas that the weather got cool -- and she most likely left the door open for the cool air..

I am not one who is always quick to say race played a part in a police shooting -- i have relatives who are long time police officers and I know most officers just want to do their job .... I just get pissed when I see folks on this post feel they need to demonize the victims of these shootings no matter how innocent those victims are...yet these be the same ones who cheer the folks at Bundy Ranch when they purposely pointed weapons at law enforcement....

It leads me to believe that these folks have no problem with wrongful police actions if the victims of those actions are people of color or people who they deem not part of their tribe...this is why these folks can simultaneously believe that it is impossible for a normal everyday black man to be framed by the police while believing that the most powerful white guy in the world is being framed by the very people he appointed.....

always goes like that, right? I think a prosecutor needs to bring it in first, right?
Not always; far too often it’s determined “in-house” that the cop acted within his “authority” and a jury never gets to decide. Fortunately it looks like that tide may be turning.

so if your working out in your garage late one night and you leave your door open for some reason at 2 in the morning, and a passing patrol car stops because he sees an open door, how would you like him to approach your house? a flash from the spotlight across your front yard, maybe the officer knocking at your door with a flashlight?
or do you want him sneaking around back peering into your windows ? how would that end up exactly?

I don't believe race played a role in the actions of this officer -- I believe his own incompetence is what played a role in her death...

I've lived in Ft. Worth. There are definitely black sections of town and white sections of town. And the cops know which they're in.

I don't know if it affected this cop's approach to the home he was checking on. But its definitely worth looking into.

Frankly, I'm more interested in this incident motivating a civilian oversight council for FWPD. They are one of the last major cities without one.
I live on the border of Arlington and Fort Worth -- the house was in a predominately black neighborhood but it wasn't really known as a high crime area -- most people there have lived in their homes for decades -- so it made total sense that the neighbor would call when he saw the door was open and the lights were on....however, it was the first day in Dallas that the weather got cool -- and she most likely left the door open for the cool air..

I am not one who is always quick to say race played a part in a police shooting -- i have relatives who are long time police officers and I know most officers just want to do their job .... I just get pissed when I see folks on this post feel they need to demonize the victims of these shootings no matter how innocent those victims are...yet these be the same folks who cheer the folks at Bundy Ranch when they purposely pointed weapons at law enforcement....

It leads me to believe that these folks have no problem with wrongful police actions if the victims of those actions are people of color or people who they deem not part of their tribe...this is why these folks can simultaneously believe that it is impossible for a normal everyday black man to be framed by the police while believing that the most powerful white guy in the world is being framed by the very people he appointed.....

I lived in the downtown at an apartment complex built around the old train depot until last year. And it was most definitely in the 'white' part of town. Mostly college kids, young professionals and some scattered, low income housing.

I don't know if race played a role in the cop's actions, which is why I've mostly focused on the failures of procedure and spectacularly poor judgment by the officer.

well he was outside, derp!!!!

Right, so they could have illuminated the whole side of the house with the spot light, (Like I see cops do all the time) and could see anyone inside the house because all the lights were on.
Most cops are going to knock on the front door and have some thought of concern for whoever lives there. Thankfully this officer was an aberration.

Fort Worth police chief: 'No excuse' for Aaron Dean to shoot Atatiana Jefferson in her home

Kraus said the gun found in the room "made sense" if Jefferson was alarmed to hear someone walking around outside her bedroom window. He said the officers apparently believed they were responding to an "open structure" call – which could have meant the home was broken into – rather than a "welfare call" in which they check to make sure people in the home are safe.

so if your working out in your garage late one night and you leave your door open for some reason at 2 in the morning, and a passing patrol car stops because he sees an open door, how would you like him to approach your house? a flash from the spotlight across your front yard, maybe the officer knocking at your door with a flashlight?
or do you want him sneaking around back peering into your windows ? how would that end up exactly?
situation is different. but to answer your question, I highly doubt they'd stop since it wasn't a call and I'm in a garage. Now if they did stop, I'd think they most likely would shine a flash light into the structure and to ask some questions. Again, that wasn't this call. This was, and I just posted it, an open structure call, someone might have broke in. burglar as I suggested in a previous post. Again, are you saying cops aren't allowed to defend themselves on a call? Really, that's what you're going to go with? And a family member stated the woman pointed the gun at him.

Tragic, for sure. I have nothing more to say than that. tragic. there was a no win scenario at play.

Fort Worth police chief: 'No excuse' for Aaron Dean to shoot Atatiana Jefferson in her home

Kraus said the gun found in the room "made sense" if Jefferson was alarmed to hear someone walking around outside her bedroom window. He said the officers apparently believed they were responding to an "open structure" call – which could have meant the home was broken into – rather than a "welfare call" in which they check to make sure people in the home are safe.

Well that makes sense that it could have been a communication screw up when the officer was dispatched.

Well that makes sense that it could have been a communication screw up when the officer was dispatched.
the report says officers, so not only he thought that.

And what I heard, her door was indeed open. And she pointed a gun, and he was looking for a possible burglary. a scenario that played out and in my opinion, is no one's fault. tragic as it is.

More guns means more people getting shot. Reports say she reached for her gun. Cops are getting shot regularly and fearful for their lives. Another gun tragedy.

More guns means more people getting shot. Reports say she reached for her gun. Cops are getting shot regularly and fearful for their lives. Another gun tragedy.
no it doesn't. but you have no idea what you're talking about. cliche talking points without facts. duh!!!!

no it doesn't. but you have no idea what you're talking about. cliche talking points without facts. duh!!!!
Of course it does. Countries with strong gun control don’t regularly have innocent people shot by police. Nor are police regularly shot. Only here. More guns, more get shot.

Of course it does. Countries with strong gun control don’t regularly have innocent people shot by police. Nor are police regularly shot. Only here. More guns, more get shot.
nope. you can post a study if you'd like,

Yes and it’s obvious, I doubt you can find a single incident like this in the UK.

American police shoot and kill far more people than their peers in other countries

Police officers in the US shoot and kill hundreds of people each year, according to the FBI’s very limited data — far more than other developed countries like the UK, Japan, and Germany, where police officers might go an entire year without killing more than a dozen people or even anyone at all.

A study in JAMA found that the US rate of gun deaths, which includes homicides and suicides, was 10.6 per 100,000 people in 2016. That dwarfed comparable developed nations: Switzerland’s rate was 2.8, Canada’s was 2.1, Australia’s was 1, Germany’s was 0.9, the United Kingdom’s was 0.3, and Japan’s was 0.2.

Forum List

Back