🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Frank Serpico: Incidents like Eric Garner's death drive wedge between police and society

Back when cigarettes were $3 a pack, loosies were usually 25 cents. When cigarettes went up to $5 a pack, loosies went up to 50 cents. When I left NY 4 years ago, loosies were 75 cents. They're probably a dollar now.

Correct. I estimate a dollar apiece. What is the sales tax rate in
Bottom line is you can't sell anything without charging a sales tax and you don't want to admit it.

:lol:

That's funny, I just bought 10 cases of wine and didn't pay a cent of sales tax on it.

Good. Now take it all down to a street in NYC and sell them. Let me know how that turns out.

I still don't think you understand what I'm saying.

When I re-sell these bottles of wine, I'll have to collect sales tax on them, because I didn't pay it already.

So what are you going to do with the money you collect for sales tax?

Pay it to the government. It's part of having a retail license.

He was out on bail for selling untaxed cigarettes, among other charges.
According to reports the cigarette packs found on him did not have tax stamps. Those can be obtained on reservations, and I would assume black market as well.
Oh, cut the crap. How did the government put Al Capone away?

I edited my post with an explanation of how cigarette taxes work.
His customers weren't paying sales tax now, were they.

Sales tax is also paid only at one step in the chain - at the retail level. If he bought the cigarettes at the store, he paid the sales tax too.

Those "reports" have not been actually confirmed, but it's certainly not impossible. Something like 1/3 of the cigarettes sold in NY are bootleg - they've cracked down on sales at the rez, but there are nearby states in which cigarettes are much cheaper.

The "sales tax" that someone selling loosies that they bought retail in NY would technically owe a little less than 2 cents a cigarette.

If he charges over the cost of each hot dog that he paid, then yes, he must charge tax on the difference.
Do I think the law is "proper"? No.

Does it have anything to do with "big government liberals"? No.

Loosey laws, and all other sin laws come from big-government social conservatives, not "liberals".

What's funny is they are in this thread defending it and trying to say at the same time it only exists because liberals want it. What liberal is here defending it?

Answer: Crickets

If I buy packages of hot dogs from the supermarket and set up my wagon on a corner and sell them singly to people, am I breaking the law?

You might be breaking some laws about being an unlicensed food vendor, but you're not breaking any tax laws.

You might be technically right about that.

But I doubt that the pennies of additional sales tax that the city loses on loosies isn't the point of the law.

Pennies add up. That's the point of a sales tax. Everything sold free of tax undermines the take and encourages others. Do you think you're going to see anyone selling single cigs on the street of NYC now?

Actually yes, if you have not paid tax on it. It is considered personal use tax.
Really? So I can sell my hot dogs without charging sales tax?

If you bought them at the supermarket, you already paid the taxes on it.

Sales taxes are only paid once. The supermarket didn't pay sales tax when they bought those hot dogs from the wholesaler, either.

So you're telling us food venders don't charge a sales tax in NYC.

No, they do. But those food vendors don't pay a sales tax on the food they buy to resell. Food vendors are the retail level, in your example.
Oh so now you're changing your story. So it's against the law. Can you figure it out yet or do I need to keep holding your hand as I walk you through this?

No, you're just simply not understanding what I'm saying. It's really not complicated.

If you know someone who owns a retail business, perhaps they can explain it to you.

If I buy a TV, then sell it to a friend of mine, do you think I have to collect sales tax on it?

If he charges over the cost of each hot dog that he paid, then yes, he must charge tax on the difference.
What's funny is they are in this thread defending it and trying to say at the same time it only exists because liberals want it. What liberal is here defending it?

Answer: Crickets

If I buy packages of hot dogs from the supermarket and set up my wagon on a corner and sell them singly to people, am I breaking the law?

You might be breaking some laws about being an unlicensed food vendor, but you're not breaking any tax laws.

But I doubt that the pennies of additional sales tax that the city loses on loosies isn't the point of the law.

Pennies add up. That's the point of a sales tax. Everything sold free of tax undermines the take and encourages others. Do you think you're going to see anyone selling single cigs on the street of NYC now?

Um, yes.

Y

Um, yes.
You still haven't answered my question. What are you going to do with the tax you collected from your wine sales?

Y

Um, yes.
You still haven't answered my question. What are you going to do with the tax you collected from your wine sales?

For the second time, I did answer your question. Please, go back in the thread, it's there.

Y

Um, yes.

For the second time, I did answer your question. Please, go back in the thread, it's there.
You posted a link to some article. Is this the part where your dishonesty pops up? You better stick to moderating.

Y

Um, yes.

You posted a link to some article. Is this the part where your dishonesty pops up?

No, I didn't. I posted a link to the post in this thread where I answered your question.

Al Serpico was a great crime fighter, but he doesn't have a clue anymore, like my 80 year old grandfather, he's out of the loop.

Y

Um, yes.

You posted a link to some article. Is this the part where your dishonesty pops up?

No, I didn't. I posted a link to the post in this thread where I answered your question.
You're done here.

Y

You're done here.

:lol:

I'll try to make this as clear as possible.

I answered your question in Post # 141 of this thread.

Actually it is 7.5 cents per cigarette, and according to his family, he was supporting them on those sales. He had to be selling alot of loosies.
The "sales tax" that someone selling loosies that they bought retail in NY would technically owe a little less than 2 cents a cigarette.

Forum List

Back