🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Frank Serpico: Incidents like Eric Garner's death drive wedge between police and society

I edited my post with an explanation of how cigarette taxes work.
His customers weren't paying sales tax now, were they.

Sales tax is also paid only at one step in the chain - at the retail level. If he bought the cigarettes at the store, he paid the sales tax too.
Once again I can't believe I have to explain this. He has made a sale without getting sales tax. Why else would the government want him to stop?

You don't seem to understand how taxes work.

The government doesn't care who pays the sales taxes, as long as someone does.

You're missing it. Why is it against the law for Garner to sell single cigs on the street?

I don't know, I didn't write the law. But it doesn't have to do with taxes.

Sales tax is also paid only at one step in the chain - at the retail level. If he bought the cigarettes at the store, he paid the sales tax too.
Once again I can't believe I have to explain this. He has made a sale without getting sales tax. Why else would the government want him to stop?

You're missing it. Why is it against the law for Garner to sell single cigs on the street?

You don't know, but you know it doesn't have to do with taxes. LOL.

That's because I understand how cigarette taxes and sales taxes work. It's not complicated.

The law against the sale of "loosies" is part of the sin laws surrounding cigarettes - probably to keep them out of the hands of kids.

Loosey laws existed back when cigarette taxes were almost nothing.

He was busted for selling loose cigarettes, not "untaxed" cigarettes.
(patiently)

OK, if that's the case....

If there is no threat to your well-being, then why is this law on the books in the first place?

The police's job is to enforce ALL laws. They don't get to pick and choose which ones they don't have to enforce. (This should be pointed out to Obama sometime.) Any time the legislature makes a law, they are OKing use of force to enforce it. That should only be done when use of force is proper for the "offense" in question.

Garner wasn't busted because there was any threat to anybody's well-being.

According to you, he was busted for selling one or two cigarettes at a time instead of twenty at a time.

Is that a proper law? One that puts citizens at risk, and authorizes police to use force (that might become excessive) simply so that Eric Garner will sell the number of cigarettes the big-govt liberals think he should sell?

Do I think the law is "proper"? No.

Does it have anything to do with "big government liberals"? No.

Loosey laws, and all other sin laws come from big-government social conservatives, not "liberals".

What's funny is they are in this thread defending it and trying to say at the same time it only exists because liberals want it. What liberal is here defending it?

Answer: Crickets

That's because I understand how cigarette taxes and sales taxes work. It's not complicated.

The law against the sale of "loosies" is part of the sin laws surrounding cigarettes - probably to keep them out of the hands of kids.

Nope. People give cigs to minors every day and they don't get arrested.

(patiently)

If there is no threat to your well-being, then why is this law on the books in the first place?

The police's job is to enforce ALL laws. They don't get to pick and choose which ones they don't have to enforce. (This should be pointed out to Obama sometime.) Any time the legislature makes a law, they are OKing use of force to enforce it. That should only be done when use of force is proper for the "offense" in question.

According to you, he was busted for selling one or two cigarettes at a time instead of twenty at a time.

Is that a proper law? One that puts citizens at risk, and authorizes police to use force (that might become excessive) simply so that Eric Garner will sell the number of cigarettes the big-govt liberals think he should sell?

Loosey laws, and all other sin laws come from big-government social conservatives, not "liberals".

What's funny is they are in this thread defending it and trying to say at the same time it only exists because liberals want it. What liberal is here defending it?

What liberal here is suggesting such laws need to be repealed?

I've seen people get arrested for giving or selling cigarettes to minors many more times than I've seen someone get arrested for selling loosies.

(patiently)

If I buy packages of hot dogs from the supermarket and set up my wagon on a corner and sell them singly to people, am I breaking the law?

I've seen people get arrested for giving or selling cigarettes to minors many more times than I've seen someone get arrested for selling loosies.
Bull.

(patiently)

If I buy packages of hot dogs from the supermarket and set up my wagon on a corner and sell them singly to people, am I breaking the law?

You might be breaking some laws about being an unlicensed food vendor, but you're not breaking any tax laws.

Bull.

It happens all the time. Police even do stings, with volunteer high school kids as bait.

(patiently)

What liberal here is suggesting such laws need to be repealed?

What cons are saying the same and being met with opposition?

Answer: Crickets. ..twice

(patiently)

You might be breaking some laws about being an unlicensed food vendor, but you're not breaking any tax laws.
Really? So I can sell my hot dogs without charging sales tax? Like you said, I paid the sales tax when I bought them.

(patiently)

Really? So I can sell my hot dogs without charging sales tax?

If you bought them at the supermarket, you already paid the taxes on it.

Sales taxes are only paid once. The supermarket didn't pay sales tax when they bought those hot dogs from the wholesaler, either.

Sales taxes are only paid once. The supermarket didn't pay sales tax when they bought those hot dogs from the wholesaler, either.

If you say that VERY SLOWLY, he might just understand it.

So you're telling us food venders don't charge a sales tax in NYC.

According to reports the cigarette packs found on him did not have tax stamps. Those can be obtained on reservations, and I would assume black market as well.
Q
I can't believe I have to explain this. You paid tax on your purchase, but your customers aren't paying theirs.

You don't understand how stamp taxes work, do you?

Oh, cut the crap. How did the government put Al Capone away?

So you're telling us food venders don't charge a sales tax in NYC.

No, they do. But those food vendors don't pay a sales tax on the food they buy to resell. Food vendors are the retail level, in your example.

According to reports the cigarette packs found on him did not have tax stamps. Those can be obtained on reservations, and I would assume black market as well.
You don't understand how stamp taxes work, do you?

Oh, cut the crap. How did the government put Al Capone away?

Those "reports" have not been actually confirmed, but it's certainly not impossible. Something like 1/3 of the cigarettes sold in NY are bootleg - they've cracked down on sales at the rez, but there are nearby states in which cigarettes are much cheaper.

Forum List

Back