Free speech is too dangerous to continue?

I can try to explain it to you in simpler terms.

Social media is a huge problem with disinformation. Algorithms keep you locked into one narrative without any competing outside information.

Well free speech is constitutional. How's that for simplicity?

Conservatives love talking about “questioning” but then they see a third hand rumor on Facebook about Haitians stealing cats to eat and they treat it as fact.

How do you explain that?
How I would explain it is by pointing out that I am not so extremely simple-minded as you, so I am able to comprehend principles rather than viewing the world as my team vs the other team.

People living in their own little delusional worlds where they only get information from social media that is filled with false information is dangerous to the country.

No, it isn't.

I'm not saying what the answer should be, but the problem with misinformation is clearly there.

Only in your hateful leftard mind.

We used to think that with enough speech, the truth will win out. That's just not the case in this day and age.
HORSESHIT.

People still have the 1st Amendment right to speak their minds, however there is no Constitutional right to be listened to. When conservative speakers chose an extreme private liberal venue, they must entertain the prospect of being shouted down or even barred from speaking there. However, there is always the public square.

Conservatives love talking about “questioning” but then they see a third hand rumor on Facebook about Haitians stealing cats to eat and they treat it as fact.

How do you explain that?
Maybe because they eat cats back in Haiti? :omg:

People living in their own little delusional worlds where they only get information from social media that is filled with false information is dangerous to the country.

I'm not saying what the answer should be, but the problem with misinformation is clearly there.

We used to think that with enough speech, the truth will win out. That's just not the case in this day and age.
The reason the First Amendment exists is that without free speech--the right to say what we think, believe, hope for, want, aspire to, even be wrong--without retaliation from any higher authority, liberty cannot exist.

They rightfully mandated that the federal government, no small oligarchy, no religious group would be allowed to dictate that the people must think, believe, hope for, want, aspire to, i.e. demand the people accept that governing entity's dictate for what is right.

That concept of liberty/free speech is what drove the Pilgrims to risk all they had including their very lives to establish new lives in this country where they had the right to their own opinions, most especially re religion. In England in the 1600's, any heresy against the Church of England was punishable with severe retaliation, even burning people at the stake.

The effort by the left to suppress and punish free speech is all part of their final goal of a totalitarian government in which they can dictate everything. The more they can control speech, the closer they are to that goal. Then they can do away with the Constitution, the independent Court and all other impediments to their doing whatever they want to do.

Kerry of course is an old fart, but typically I am not concerned about his age group's beliefs when it comes to freedom of speech.
It's Gen Z'ers, that concern me. I have no faith they will be adequate stewards of free speech, based on what is seen on today's campuses across this nation.

The reason the First Amendment exists is that without free speech--the right to say what we think, believe, hope for, want, aspire to, even be wrong--without retaliation from any higher authority, liberty cannot exist.

They rightfully mandated that the federal government, no small oligarchy, no religious group would be allowed to dictate that the people must think, believe, hope for, want, aspire to, i.e. demand the people accept that governing entity's dictate for what is right.

That concept of liberty/free speech is what drove the Pilgrims to risk all they had including their very lives to establish new lives in this country where they had the right to their own opinions, most especially re religion. In England in the 1600's, any heresy against the Church of England was punishable with severe retaliation, even burning people at the stake.

The effort by the left to suppress and punish free speech is all part of their final goal of a totalitarian government in which they can dictate everything. The more they can control speech, the closer they are to that goal. Then they can do away with the Constitution, the independent Court and all other impediments to their doing whatever they want to do.
Disinformation leads to dark places where there is little liberty.

We have had free speech for a very long time... since our constitution was written and signed...
But since Trump was elected in 2016 the left went anti free speech fast...

Disinformation leads to dark places where there is little liberty.
Better to allow disinformation to be spoken and rebut it than it is to give anybody absolute power to dictate what must be accepted as truth and what will be punished as disinformation.

How would you feel if Donald Trump and the Republicans had total power to dictate to you what you are allowed to think, believe, speak and could punish you if you think, believe or speak differently from that?

Better to allow disinformation to be spoken and rebut it than it is to give anybody absolute power to dictate what must be accepted as truth and what will be punished as disinformation.

How would you feel if Donald Trump and the Republicans had total power to dictate to you what you are allowed to think, believe, speak and could punish you if you think, believe or speak differently from that?
Rebutting disinformation used to work, but now it’s meaningless. The rebuttals don’t reach the misinformed. Algorithms keep this away from those that need it.

Steele dossier, cough cough, Steele dossier.
Was presented as information that was unverified and doubtful. It was discussed and identified that it did not contain any verified information and people treat it as such.

This is how it should work.

Was presented as information that was unverified and doubtful. It was discussed and identified that it did not contain any verified information and people treat it as such.

This is how it should work.
It was disinformation used to disrupt an election.

All you care about, though, is your team coming out on top so they can create a ministry of truth.

I'll support government censoring speech when I am appointed the arbiter of what is acceptable. I can trust me to get it right. Deal?

John Kerry says First Amendment is the enemy, as elites try to stamp out free speech (nypost.com)

I'm getting close to 80 years old. I don't remember anything in my early schooling about free speech being dangerous. I do recall that in the Former Soviet Union, East Germany, and Mao Tse Tung's China, free speech that criticized the status quo was criminalized and punished severely to discourage wayward thinking that might upset the power structure. The people who instructed me in say, about 1962 when the Cuban Missile Crisis happened, were all survivors of the Great Depression and World War 2. They seemed to go on ad nauseam about how important it was to think and speek freely. A steady drumbeat would leave their lips about how lucky we were to be living in a place where even speech that challenged the government was allowed. These were very different people from what is in control of my home city in New Hampshire today.

My city in New Hampshire has become a very liberal, very woke, place. Those in charge of publishing and editing the local newspaper, the academic rat's nest that leads the centrally located liberal arts college, and the little rodent that hosts the daily morning radio program are public relations for everything those Depression era survivors warned us about all those years ago. You can't say bad things about special people who are trying to do good! That's why free speech that exposes flaws is dangerous! Like the Soviets, East Germans, and the Mao's new China, these people are trying to build a better world! And saying things against it is not only treachery, it's an insurrection!

That's why Donald Trump has to be charged with crimes against the state! The state is good and it is trying to do good things for the people just like the Soviets, East Germans, and Mao's gangs were trying to do! We MAGA fools are apparently too ignorant to grasp the superior thinking taking place today that lays bare the lies we were told when Castro was aiming nuclear warheads at us! Those old teachers in our schools were telling us pack of lies when they told us to protect at all costs the free speech Donald Trump is using! They had to be lying because otherwise Donald Trump could say whatever he wanted and the people could make up their own minds if they wanted to listen! But just like the Soviets, East Germans, and Mao, the government is taking steps to shield us against Donald Trump's dangerous misuse of free speech! See? It's all for our own good!

You know, I have always been leery of people doing things for my own good. The city will go for Harris and walz there is no question about that. The rest of the state? There might be a faint glimmer of hope there.
You want to find out how stupid these people are. Ask them to define the meaning of woke and what communism it. What you will find out is they each have their own definition of what they think it means. These two charges are by far the two biggest points to explain what they think Democrats are , to find out these lame ass holes have no idea what either of them even means . Literally these two charges is the backbone of their arguments against democrats in this country. Yup they are that stupid. Point being they already have a definition and that definition shows how stupid they are. Because we have nothing to do with either.

Your opinion of Harris and word salads is based on the very disinformation we are discussing.
I'm pretty sure it's based on her own responses to questions she is not prepared to answer, i.e., most of them. If you want a real example of misinformation (lies) leading people astray about someone, simply reference Dan Quayle and the spelling of one word.

Forum List

Back