Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

And here we go. Douglas County Sheriff Kicks A&E out of his county for suspending Robertson.

Apparently they film a series there.

In wake of 'Duck Dynasty' star suspension, Sheriff Miller tells A&E they are not welcome
In wake of 'Duck Dynasty' star suspension, Sheriff Miller tells A&E they are not welcome - Douglas County Sentinel: Local News

The suspension of “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson by the A&E Network after making controversial remarks in GQ magazine regarding homosexuality has been called a business decision. But now Douglas County Sheriff Phil Miller is making a business decision of his own.

Miller announced on his personal Facebook page Friday night that A&E would no longer be welcomed to film or produce any of its programs or series with the help of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office or its facilities.

"A&E has suspended Phil Robertson for talking about his conservative Christian beliefs," Miller wrote." None of us are without sin and I am not judging anyone. I am sure A&E made what they believe is a good business decision. Many people who disagree with A&E might choose to remain silent and there was a time when I might have done the same, but no longer. In my mind the punishment is unreasonable.

"I know it will not matter to A&E, but it will make me feel better. A&E has produced more than a half dozen programs with the assistance of the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. They will not do any more with my assistance while I am sheriff. It is time for someone other than Hollywood and the news media to stand up for what is right!"

Miller said that was the netwok's prerogative, but he said he had to do what he thought was right to show how he feels.

"I guess I need to learn to keep my mouth shut too," Miller said in a phone interview Friday night. "But they are punishing a man for being honest and answering a question that he was asked. When he answered and gave his understanding, pulling from his Christian beliefs, this happens. It's not right and I had to say something about it.

"I don't hate anybody and you can ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you the same thing. But where we are in this country now, where you are punished for simply saying what your understanding of your Christian beliefs are is just too much for me."

Over the years A&E has filmed several shows centered here including most recently "Beyond Scared Straight," which featured the M.A.C.E. program sponsored by the DCSO.

"County"? I thought these guys were from Louisiana? Louisiana doesn't have 'counties'.

In any case I doubt a sheriff is the guy who makes the call about business... but maybe he should have read some of these threads and got him a edumacation about contracts and morality clauses. :lol: He seems to have made the same error the OP here did.
Right, we have parishes here in Louisiana but this Sheriff is from Douglas County in Georgia where A&E films a program. Glad to see the sheriff take action.

Let A&E take the production money and publicity to another location

That Sherriff sure showed them

It's a free country....you can say anything you wish

That does not mean there are no consequences for what you say

That's the standard defense of Political Correctness. It sounds fairly benign and certainly reasonable. But here's the problem:

If you say something that "offends" me, whatever that's supposed to mean, it means that you and I probably disagree on something and I may dispute what you said. On other hand, I may not. And that's where it ends, because I'm well aware of the fact that in a free country -- especially one with our First Amendment -- I will sometimes have to put up with shit I don't like. It wouldn't even occur to me to punish someone for expressing an opinion. However, if I want your opinion to change right now, it's up to me to do it with reason and civility.

But if I say something that "offends" you (and I'm still not sure what that means), you would feel perfectly comfortable (1) destroying me and/or (2) intimidating my employer into some kind of punitive action. In other words, you're fine with seeing me punished, simply for saying what I'm thinking.

That's one helluva difference right there.

I've asked this question three times on this thread and no one has answered it: Do you think that punishing people for saying what they're thinking, or intimidating someone into not saying what they're thinking, is going to somehow heal the wounds this country has? And if so, how, precisely?

Actions have consequences......most adults have figured that out

If I tell everyone my boss's wife dresses like a fat whore.......I will get fired
Free speech but I suffer consequences

Phil was hired to be a good ole boy spouting country folk isms. Publically deriding gays and downplaying the Jim Crow era do not fit the image A&E wants to project. Phil got fired......that's the consequence

That's the standard defense of Political Correctness. It sounds fairly benign and certainly reasonable. But here's the problem:

If you say something that "offends" me, whatever that's supposed to mean, it means that you and I probably disagree on something and I may dispute what you said. On other hand, I may not. And that's where it ends, because I'm well aware of the fact that in a free country -- especially one with our First Amendment -- I will sometimes have to put up with shit I don't like. It wouldn't even occur to me to punish someone for expressing an opinion. However, if I want your opinion to change right now, it's up to me to do it with reason and civility.

But if I say something that "offends" you (and I'm still not sure what that means), you would feel perfectly comfortable (1) destroying me and/or (2) intimidating my employer into some kind of punitive action. In other words, you're fine with seeing me punished, simply for saying what I'm thinking.

I've asked this question three times on this thread and no one has answered it: Do you think that punishing people for saying what they're thinking, or intimidating someone into not saying what they're thinking, is going to somehow heal the wounds this country has? And if so, how, precisely?

If I tell everyone my boss's wife dresses like a fat whore.......I will get fired

Phil was hired to be a good ole boy spouting country folk isms. Publically deriding gays and downplaying the Jim Crow era do not fit the image A&E wants to project. Phil got fired......that's the consequence

So I take it you're not planning on answering my question, then?

Sure, but if he publicly derided Christians and straights, you would be defending him. The hypocrisy is astounding! You want to punish people who express a different opinion from you. And to use your reasoning, actions do have consequences, the public backlash over his suspension is a perfect example.

Last edited:

But.....but.....but.....it's not FAIR!!!!! He was intimidated! Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!

With so much time in his schedule, he can definitely work in time to talk out both sides of his mouth.
If he would put this kind of effort into finding a job, the sky's the limit

If you would kindly take the time to postulate an intelligent response instead of resorting to personal attacks, perhaps people like you could recruit more to your causes, namely gay rights.

The recruiting effort is going fine; thanks for your concern:

untitled.png

Gee, imagine our shock; you're on the wrong side of history yet again.

He was. Care to prove he wasn't?

I did answer.....that is the consequence

And it is not just GLAAD. There is major media attention that is detrimental to Duck Dynasty and the A&E network. You embarrass your employer, you get fired
That s the way it works

Is it fair? Yes it is

As to healing the wounds.......Phil is repenting those wounds and revealing the ugly side of many of our population......God hates fags

Last edited:
If he would put this kind of effort into finding a job, the sky's the limit

If you would kindly take the time to postulate an intelligent response instead of resorting to personal attacks, perhaps people like you could recruit more to your causes, namely gay rights.

The recruiting effort is going fine; thanks for your concern:

untitled.png

Gee, imagine our shock; you're on the wrong side of history yet again.

Here.

How can an effort go swimmingly when even a gay rights group infuriates their members with their shenanigans? Hmm? Looks like you're on the wrong side of history my friend. Free speech is a cornerstone of both movements, not even gays will tolerate having someone punished for speaking their mind.

Ol' LL is just doing what he does: Shallow, catty comments around the margins, the occasional name-call here, the occasional personal insult there. Nothing of substance.

They just won't admit this is not about improving anything, it's about punitive control.

I know some of you watch Duck Dynasty and probably heard that Phil Robertson was suspended by A&E for his opinion on homosexuality. He had the gall to quote 1 Corinthians 6:9 and express himself openly about his opposition to gay marriage. Groups like GLAAD came out in support of the suspension. Don't you find it odd that people like Martin Bashir get a pass for their intolerance toward conservative women, but people like Phil Robertson are being targeted for their beliefs?

Should TV Networks silence religious speech for the political sensibilities of others? As most of you were aware, Chick-Fil-A came under similar scrutiny by gay rights organizations for its views on homosexuality last year. The response from the public was overwhelming, as the restaurant experienced booming profits from the ordeal. Suffice it to say, ratings for the show may experience similar results.

Should Phil Robertson be suspended for his comments in GQ? Or should he be allowed to express himself as he is allowed to by the the First Amendment? My personal opinion here is that no TV network should be allowed to censor a man for expressing his religious beliefs.

There have been many instances of people or businesses being targeted for their religious beliefs, all for being "intolerant." Isn't it strange that you can be allowed to be homosexual, but not a person of faith? The real intolerance here, is of those who cannot accept that others aren't forced to tolerate their way of life or their practices. If you are any freedom loving American; Democrat, Republican or Libertarian, you should be disturbed by this recent turn of events.

1) Martin Bashir didn't get a pass. He got fired.

2) A&E isn't "censoring" Robertson. They are simply refusing to allow themselves to be associated with his bigotry.

3) Like it or not, A&E is a business. Now, you wingnuts are totally normally all for businesses fucking over their employees when it comes to stuff like not paying a living wage or moving a factory over to China or busting up a union because or cutting hours to 30 a week so you don't have to pay health insurance. But, man, pull a ranting homophobe off the air because sponsor will bail out, and you guys get all up in their grill.

Talk about messed up priorities.

4) Chik-Fil-A stopped funding anti-gay groups and it's president shut the hell up about the subject. So, no, that really wasn't a win for the Homophobes, either.

It just isn't fair! A&E should be forced by Eric Holder to reverse the suspension. And anyone who contacted A&E to express their views regarding what the bigot said ought to be fined for intimidation!

And it is not just GLAAD. There is major media attention that is detrimental to Duck Dynasty and the A&E network. You embarrass your employer, you get fired
That s the way it works

Is it fair? Yes it is

I'll try to question one last time, because you're choosing not to answer: Do you think that punishing people for saying what they're thinking, or intimidating someone into not saying what they're thinking, is going to somehow heal the wounds this country has? And if so, how, precisely?

Full disclosure, I'm really not expecting a straight answer.

That s the way it works

Is it fair? Yes it is

Like I said before, GLAAD made their members angry. Should you care to see the results, perhaps you should pay a visit here:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/curre...-from-biggest-backlash-in-years-says-rep.html

It might be fair and just under the law, but it employs a colossal double standard. "Just so long as you keep quiet about your belief in God, you can act, perform or otherwise entertain our viewers."

Ol' LL is just doing what he does: Shallow, catty comments around the margins, the occasional name-call here, the occasional personal insult there. Nothing of substance.

They just won't admit this is not about improving anything, it's about punitive control.

I answered your question. Did you miss it? Why....yes you did.

That s the way it works

Is it fair? Yes it is

I'll try to question one last time, because you're choosing not to answer: Do you think that punishing people for saying what they're thinking, or intimidating someone into not saying what they're thinking, is going to somehow heal the wounds this country has? And if so, how, precisely?

I will answer one more time.

No.

It just isn't fair! A&E should be forced by Eric Holder to reverse the suspension. And anyone who contacted A&E to express their views regarding what the bigot said ought to be fined for intimidation!

Drop your sarcasm.

It makes you sound increasingly immature. People like you asking for tolerance but giving none in return. What country is this? What country is this where one man cannot tolerate the opinion of the other, what country is this where a man can be punished, destroyed, ruined--- all because he had an opinion?

That s the way it works

Is it fair? Yes it is

I will answer one more time.

No.

No?

Then why do you keep doing it?

Forum List

Back