Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

Scenario:

Phil Robertson, an educator, is invited to my daughter's HS to speak to students about his career, his faith and his views regarding human sexuality.

Will he be arrested?

In your world, yes.

I suspect that is what you really believe. How odd.

How about those Westboro freaks. You got an opinion about them? They never get arrested for expressing their religious views......which are pretty close to ol'Phil's.

No. It is immature to act like you're acting, but hey, who am I to stop you? You were colluding with BD in order to make me think you were actually sincere about wanting to know about my methodology. You mocked me. You didn't think I noticed your sarcasm in my other thread? The name fits, pal.

As an aside, he was punished by the liberal mentality of political correctness that has taken firm grasp of our media and our entertainment industries.

I mocked you? You must be high.

Yeah, it came straight from the horse's mouth.

You callin' me a horse?

I did answer.....that is the consequence

And it is not just GLAAD. There is major media attention that is detrimental to Duck Dynasty and the A&E network. You embarrass your employer, you get fired
That s the way it works

Is it fair? Yes it is

I'll try to question one last time, because you're choosing not to answer: Do you think that punishing people for saying what they're thinking, or intimidating someone into not saying what they're thinking, is going to somehow heal the wounds this country has? And if so, how, precisely?

Full disclosure, I'm really not expecting a straight answer.

The answer to your stupid, irrelevant, and desperate question is an easy "no"

I wonder what is "stupid, irrelevant and desperate" about my question, but I certainly want to thank you for your honest reply.

This, despite the claims of the Left, is not about healing anything or helping anyone. It's about punitive control and advantage.

It's all a lie.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Last edited:
I know some of you watch Duck Dynasty and probably heard that Phil Robertson was suspended by A&E for his opinion on homosexuality. He had the gall to quote 1 Corinthians 6:9 and express himself openly about his opposition to gay marriage. Groups like GLAAD came out in support of the suspension. Don't you find it odd that people like Martin Bashir get a pass for their intolerance toward conservative women, but people like Phil Robertson are being targeted for their beliefs?

Should TV Networks silence religious speech for the political sensibilities of others? As most of you were aware, Chick-Fil-A came under similar scrutiny by gay rights organizations for its views on homosexuality last year. The response from the public was overwhelming, as the restaurant experienced booming profits from the ordeal. Suffice it to say, ratings for the show may experience similar results.

Should Phil Robertson be suspended for his comments in GQ? Or should he be allowed to express himself as he is allowed to by the the First Amendment? My personal opinion here is that no TV network should be allowed to censor a man for expressing his religious beliefs.

There have been many instances of people or businesses being targeted for their religious beliefs, all for being "intolerant." Isn't it strange that you can be allowed to be homosexual, but not a person of faith? The real intolerance here, is of those who cannot accept that others aren't forced to tolerate their way of life or their practices. If you are any freedom loving American; Democrat, Republican or Libertarian, you should be disturbed by this recent turn of events.

1) Martin Bashir didn't get a pass. He got fired.

2) A&E isn't "censoring" Robertson. They are simply refusing to allow themselves to be associated with his bigotry.

3) Like it or not, A&E is a business. Now, you wingnuts are totally normally all for businesses fucking over their employees when it comes to stuff like not paying a living wage or moving a factory over to China or busting up a union because or cutting hours to 30 a week so you don't have to pay health insurance. But, man, pull a ranting homophobe off the air because sponsor will bail out, and you guys get all up in their grill.

Talk about messed up priorities.

4) Chik-Fil-A stopped funding anti-gay groups and it's president shut the hell up about the subject. So, no, that really wasn't a win for the Homophobes, either.

Slim fast dropped Whoopi Goldberg for attacking Bush. Nobody seemed to be outraged at that point.

Here.

How can an effort go swimmingly when even a gay rights group infuriates their members with their shenanigans? Hmm? Looks like you're on the wrong side of history my friend. Free speech is a cornerstone of both movements, not even gays will tolerate having someone punished for speaking their mind.

There.

From 2004-2013...33% of the nation lives in states with marriage equality laws. It will only get worse for bigots. Spin all you want; you have time...just not any way of stopping progress.

Lot of spin there, you had to collect data from nine years to get such a result. Nice try. Even so, 67% live in states that deem marriage as between a man and a woman.

You see that trend?

Not for long. Most Americans are seeing gay marriage and deciding it is no big deal....live and let live
You should too

I'll try to question one last time, because you're choosing not to answer: Do you think that punishing people for saying what they're thinking, or intimidating someone into not saying what they're thinking, is going to somehow heal the wounds this country has? And if so, how, precisely?

The answer to your vapid, intellectually vacuous, and desperate post is an easy

"Then why do you keep doing it?"

Keep doing what?

Who have I "punished for saying what they are thinking"? Who have I "intimidated into not saying what they are thinking"?

Be specific and cite it.

Last edited:

I wonder what is "stupid, irrelevant and desperate" about my question, but I certainly want to thank you for your honest reply.

This, despite the claims of the Left, is not about healing anything or helping anyone. It's about punitive control and advantage.

It's all a lie.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

This is about an employer punishing an employee for hurting their image. Nothing more, nothing less.

There.

From 2004-2013...33% of the nation lives in states with marriage equality laws. It will only get worse for bigots. Spin all you want; you have time...just not any way of stopping progress.

Lot of spin there, you had to collect data from nine years to get such a result. Nice try. Even so, 67% live in states that deem marriage as between a man and a woman.

You see that trend?

Not for long. Most Americans are seeing gay marriage and deciding it is no big deal....live and let live
You should too

Live and let live? Then why did you let Phil Robertson do the same? Why don't you let Christians do the same? A Christian expressing his views should be no big deal, but he live and let live, right?

No sir, not until you practice what you preach.

This whole manufactured Duck Dynasty thing is not a first amendment issue at all.

No one is stopping that guy from saying what he thinks. In fact he can buy all the air time he wants and spout off or he can stand outside and spout off all he wants.

In fact any of you can do that but what you don't seem to understand is that other people are not obligated to provide a venue for you to spout off.

There.

You see that trend?

You should too

It is no longer a big deal with kids. Some of em are born gay....some are born straight...some a mixture. Accepted as a part of life for the most part among those under 30.

Times....they be a changin'.

So let's recap...

Phil Robertson should be allowed to speak his piece.

AND..

GLAAD should be allowed to remain SILENT.

Here.

How can an effort go swimmingly when even a gay rights group infuriates their members with their shenanigans? Hmm? Looks like you're on the wrong side of history my friend. Free speech is a cornerstone of both movements, not even gays will tolerate having someone punished for speaking their mind.

There.

Spin? I showed you a graph. There is no spin there.

ONLY
COLD
HARD
FACTS

Oh, by the way, New Mexico has joined the enlightened....
New Mexico same-sex marriage ruling comes amid long wait, national trend | Fox News

Add another 2 million to people that can exercise their freedom (also...people you hate). You're on the wrong side of history which explains why you're so hateful...

YOU
ARE
ALL
ALONE

With only your hate to accompany you. That and, of course, what has become the stock and trade of the GOP...victimization. Poor little you. Save the crap about you becoming a libertarian....personal liberty is what you're attacking dumbass.

So I take it you're not planning on answering my question, then?

And it is not just GLAAD. There is major media attention that is detrimental to Duck Dynasty and the A&E network. You embarrass your employer, you get fired
That s the way it works

Is it fair? Yes it is

OK....you don't accept the obvious answer how about this

Does it heal the wounds? Yes, in a way
What it does is drive the bigots underground. Spouting their hate is no longer publicly acceptable. They still feel the same, but when they spout their bigotry it is made clear that it s not acceptable

Keep doing what?

Who have I "punished for saying what they are thinking"? Who have I "intimidated into not saying what they are thinking"?

Be specific and cite it.

Yeah, A&E's suspension of Phil Robertson is my prime example. The IRS audition of many Tea Party groups in 2012, the raids of the AP offices, the "investigation" of James Rosen, the instances where people are called racist for disagreeing with the president are distinct others.

Citations? Check. Specificity? Check.

That s the way it works

Is it fair? Yes it is

OK....you don't accept the obvious answer how about this

Does it heal the wounds? Yes, in a way
What it does is drive the bigots underground. Spouting their hate is no longer publicly acceptable. They still feel the same, but when they spout their bigotry it is made clear that it s not acceptable

Yes, I know.

So tell me how this helps heal wounds. Walk me through it.

Yeah, it came straight from the horse's mouth.

You callin' me a horse?

Would that be a bad thing? They are majestic animals. Actually no, it was a colloquialism, meaning from a reliable source. In other words, not you.

But...I told you that I was mocking you. I told you directly...after I felt sorry for you. You actually said you were proud of me for wanting to be a serious poster like you. AFTER I told you that I was mocking you.

What do you expect? You are a blowhard of epic proportions. Literally.

Keep doing what?

Be specific and cite it.

Yeah, A&E's suspension of Phil Robertson is my prime example. The IRS audition of many Tea Party groups in 2012, the raids of the AP offices, the "investigation" of James Rosen, the instances where people are called racist for disagreeing with the president are distinct others.

Citations? Check. Specificity? Check.

I am none of those entities.

Try again.

Forum List

Back