Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

There.

From 2004-2013...33% of the nation lives in states with marriage equality laws. It will only get worse for bigots. Spin all you want; you have time...just not any way of stopping progress.

Lot of spin there, you had to collect data from nine years to get such a result. Nice try. Even so, 67% live in states that deem marriage as between a man and a woman.

You see that trend?

Not for long. Most Americans are seeing gay marriage and deciding it is no big deal....live and let live
You should too

I agree. Gay 'marriage' is no big deal.

Nor is opposing gay marriage. Live and let works both ways - or at least it should. I have that there are people who think it should be "we live, the rest of you keep your mouths shut". (I understand the technical name for these people is 'libtards'. Can that be right?)

For the record, I don't think A&E should have suspended the guy.

It was well within their right but it isn't a decision I would have made.

Lot of spin there, you had to collect data from nine years to get such a result. Nice try. Even so, 67% live in states that deem marriage as between a man and a woman.

You see that trend?

Not for long. Most Americans are seeing gay marriage and deciding it is no big deal....live and let live
You should too

It is no longer a big deal with kids. Some of em are born gay....some are born straight...some a mixture. Accepted as a part of life for the most part among those under 30.

Times....they be a changin'.

I'm guessing TK was jilted by a woman who turned out to be Lez and is dedicated to taking it out on all homosexuals.

Lord knows he probably gets all the competition he can handle from other men...now he has to worry about a woman stealing his latest Copenhagen using soulmate

Last edited:
Where is the outrage against duckicide....the wanton killing of ducks lured to their fate by duck calling devices? This is duck holocaust. No gays are dying in the making of this show. Are you not concerned?

Let's expand our thinking people!

Hey, Mac.....how is allowing bigotry to go unchecked going to somehow heal the wounds this country has?

Thanks for asking, although your "unchecked" straw man is incorrect.

We can't heal anything, we can't fix anything, and we can't change hearts and minds until and unless we can communicate. Since I actually do want to heal and fix our problems, I have to be strong enough and confident enough in my positions to allow those who disagree with me to voice theirs.

Then that's our starting point. We keep lines of communication open and we do our best to change hearts and minds with consistency, reason and civility. Over time, many hearts and minds will be changed and hopefully an improved culture will take care of much of the rest. There will always be bigots, on both ends.

Granted, this is heavy lifting compared to simplistic punishment. But for those of us who are more interested in healing than in punitive control and advantage, the heavy lifting is the only way to do it.

Last edited:
There.

From 2004-2013...33% of the nation lives in states with marriage equality laws. It will only get worse for bigots. Spin all you want; you have time...just not any way of stopping progress.

Spin? I showed you a graph. There is no spin there.

ONLY
COLD
HARD
FACTS

Oh, by the way, New Mexico has joined the enlightened....
New Mexico same-sex marriage ruling comes amid long wait, national trend | Fox News

Add another 2 million to people that can exercise their freedom (also...people you hate). You're on the wrong side of history which explains why you're so hateful...

YOU
ARE
ALL
ALONE

With only your hate to accompany you. That and, of course, what has become the stock and trade of the GOP...victimization. Poor little you. Save the crap about you becoming a libertarian....personal liberty is what you're attacking dumbass.

You know, if gays reacted so violently to the actions of GLAAD, that means your movement isn't as peachy as you're claiming. You insult my intelligence by citing Fox News.

You think I'm hateful? Just examine what GLAAD did to Mr. Robertson. See what gay rights groups have done to Christians across the country who dared speak out for what they believed in. You want your tolerance, you speak out against hatred, vitriol, and stereotypes while championing personal liberty; but here you are:

A) Showing your intolerance of Christians
B) Voicing your hatred of Christians
C) Spewing invective and issuing pejoratives about Christians
D) Stereotyping Christians as bigots and racists
E) Begrudging them the personal liberty to express a religious opinion
F) Intimidating and bullying Christians who express their religious opinions

If I didn't know better, I'd say you are engaging in Alinskyist tactics to shame people of faith in to silence. How sickening.

Last edited:

You see that trend?

You should too

Live and let live? Then why did you let Phil Robertson do the same? Why don't you let Christians do the same? A Christian expressing his views should be no big deal, but he live and let live, right?

No sir, not until you practice what you preach.

Bigotry and hate don't become okay because you dress it up in vestments and call it "Religion".

Priestwooldoor.jpg

I know some of you watch Duck Dynasty and probably heard that Phil Robertson was suspended by A&E for his opinion on homosexuality. He had the gall to quote 1 Corinthians 6:9 and express himself openly about his opposition to gay marriage. Groups like GLAAD came out in support of the suspension. Don't you find it odd that people like Martin Bashir get a pass for their intolerance toward conservative women, but people like Phil Robertson are being targeted for their beliefs?

Should TV Networks silence religious speech for the political sensibilities of others? As most of you were aware, Chick-Fil-A came under similar scrutiny by gay rights organizations for its views on homosexuality last year. The response from the public was overwhelming, as the restaurant experienced booming profits from the ordeal. Suffice it to say, ratings for the show may experience similar results.

Should Phil Robertson be suspended for his comments in GQ? Or should he be allowed to express himself as he is allowed to by the the First Amendment? My personal opinion here is that no TV network should be allowed to censor a man for expressing his religious beliefs.

There have been many instances of people or businesses being targeted for their religious beliefs, all for being "intolerant." Isn't it strange that you can be allowed to be homosexual, but not a person of faith? The real intolerance here, is of those who cannot accept that others aren't forced to tolerate their way of life or their practices. If you are any freedom loving American; Democrat, Republican or Libertarian, you should be disturbed by this recent turn of events.

No one's first amendment right to religion, speech or expression has been infringed by the Congress. You might consider the entire universe of intolerance and prejudice in the private sector, if you were honest, and not one example of one bigot you happen to adore.

The guy can still pray to any god he so chooses and say what he wants about other individuals or groups he pleases, as long as he understands that actions have consequences.

The abject hypocrisy of you and others faux rage is disingenuous and entirely partisan. But you have every right to express your opinion and others have the right to express our opinion that your actions are nothing more than ridiculous hyperbole.

You see that trend?

You should too

It is no longer a big deal with kids. Some of em are born gay....some are born straight...some a mixture. Accepted as a part of life for the most part among those under 30.

Times....they be a changin'.

I'm guessing TK was jilted by a woman who turned out to be Lez and is dedicated to taking it out on all homosexuals.

Lord knows he probably gets all the competition he can handle from other men...now he has to worry about a woman stealing his latest Copenhagen using soulmate

I'm guessing since you have nothing intelligent to say, you resort to proving my point instead. Thank you. I hope you keep it up.

Hey, Mac.....how is allowing bigotry to go unchecked going to somehow heal the wounds this country has?

Thanks for asking, although your "unchecked" straw man is incorrect.

We can't heal anything, we can't fix anything, and we can't change hearts and minds until and unless we can communicate. Since I actually do want to heal and fix our problems, I have to be strong enough and confident enough in my positions to allow those who disagree with me to voice theirs.

Then that's our starting point. We keep lines of communication open and we do our best to change hearts and minds with consistency, reason and civility. Over time, many hearts and minds will be changed and hopefully an improved culture will take care of much of the rest. There will always be bigots, on both ends.

Granted, this is heavy lifting compared to simplistic punishment. But for those of us who are more interested in healing than in punitive control and advantage, the heavy lifting is the only way to do it.

Hearts and minds are changing. Have you noticed the trend in this country regarding acceptance of homosexuals? Twenty years ago how many people would have even batted an eye at Robertson's comments? Thirty? Forty? Those weren't the good ole days for homosexuals.

The country's views on homosexuality have flipped to the point where businesses don't want to be associated with "the other side" of the issue. That's a GOOD thing.

I'll try to question one last time, because you're choosing not to answer: Do you think that punishing people for saying what they're thinking, or intimidating someone into not saying what they're thinking, is going to somehow heal the wounds this country has? And if so, how, precisely?

Full disclosure, I'm really not expecting a straight answer.

OK....you don't accept the obvious answer how about this

Does it heal the wounds? Yes, in a way
What it does is drive the bigots underground. Spouting their hate is no longer publicly acceptable. They still feel the same, but when they spout their bigotry it is made clear that it s not acceptable

Yes, I know.

So tell me how this helps heal wounds. Walk me through it.

By making people who were formerly social outcasts welcome in society. Being gay used to mean you hid in the shadows, didn't let anyone know how you really were, pretended to be something you are not
Now it is the bigots who must hide in the shadows and not tell people how they really are

I kind of like it

[

You know, if gays reacted so violently to the actions of GLAAD, that means your movement isn't as peachy as you're claiming. You insult my intelligence by citing Fox News.

You think I'm hateful? Just examine what GLAAD did to Mr. Robertson. See what gay rights groups have done to Christians across the country who dared speak out for what they believed in. You want your tolerance, you speak out against hatred, vitriol, stereotypes while championing personal liberty; but here you are

A) Showing your intolerance of Christians
B) Voicing your hatred of Christians
C) Spewing invective and issuing pejoratives about Christians
D) Stereotyping Christians as bigots and racists
E) Begrudging them the personal liberty to express a religious opinion
F) Intimidating and bullying Christians who express their religious opinions

If I didn't know better, I'd say you are engaging in Alinskyist tactics to shame people of faith in to silence. How sickening.

Maybe because you guys try to use faith to justify the unjustifiable.

IN 1692, they hung a bunch of people for being Witches in Salem, MA. Now, thinking people today know that this was a travesty because there were no witches. But the people who did it held up their bibles, pointed out the verse, "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live!" and felt justified.

In 1861, a lot of people owned slaves and they were perfectly willing to fight a war to keep owning slaves. Thinking people today know this is a travesty because one human being owning another is wrong. But the people who did it held up their bibles and pointed out the verse where it said, "Slaves, serve your master gladly" and felt justified.

In 2013, a lot of people think it's still okay to discriminate against folks because of their sexual orientation. Thinking people know this is a travesty because sexual orientation isn't a choice and people should be free to live their own lives. But the homophobes hold up t heir bibles and point out that verse Robertson is fond of and feel justified.

Now, in the first two cases, thinking people won the day by not letting the religious get away with it after a certain point. Faith or not, those things are just plain old wrong. Period.

So is homophobia. And calling a guy who uses the bible to rationalize his bigotry because he thinks anal sex is icky is not oppressing him.

I know some of you watch Duck Dynasty and probably heard that Phil Robertson was suspended by A&E for his opinion on homosexuality. He had the gall to quote 1 Corinthians 6:9 and express himself openly about his opposition to gay marriage. Groups like GLAAD came out in support of the suspension. Don't you find it odd that people like Martin Bashir get a pass for their intolerance toward conservative women, but people like Phil Robertson are being targeted for their beliefs?

Should TV Networks silence religious speech for the political sensibilities of others? As most of you were aware, Chick-Fil-A came under similar scrutiny by gay rights organizations for its views on homosexuality last year. The response from the public was overwhelming, as the restaurant experienced booming profits from the ordeal. Suffice it to say, ratings for the show may experience similar results.

Should Phil Robertson be suspended for his comments in GQ? Or should he be allowed to express himself as he is allowed to by the the First Amendment? My personal opinion here is that no TV network should be allowed to censor a man for expressing his religious beliefs.

There have been many instances of people or businesses being targeted for their religious beliefs, all for being "intolerant." Isn't it strange that you can be allowed to be homosexual, but not a person of faith? The real intolerance here, is of those who cannot accept that others aren't forced to tolerate their way of life or their practices. If you are any freedom loving American; Democrat, Republican or Libertarian, you should be disturbed by this recent turn of events.

No one's first amendment right to religion, speech or expression has been infringed by the Congress. You might consider the entire universe of intolerance and prejudice in the private sector, if you were honest, and not one example of one bigot you happen to adore.

The guy can still pray to any god he so chooses and say what he wants about other individuals or groups he pleases, as long as he understands that actions have consequences.

The abject hypocrisy of you and others faux rage is disingenuous and entirely partisan. But you have every right to express your opinion and others have the right to express our opinion that your actions are nothing more than ridiculous hyperbole.

The man can still pray, in private. The man is free to express himself... in private. Out of sight, out of mind. Listen to yourself. You keep speaking of actions and consequences-- but are ignoring the fact that your scorched earth policy regarding regarding religious opinions may have a way of backfiring on you. I'd say it already has to tell you the truth.

The faux outrage comes from you Liberals and homosexuals lamenting the intolerance by other people, namely Christians, displayed towards you; but are the main source of such intolerance. Perhaps it didn't occur to you, but the intolerance doesn't stem so much from the actual lifestyle, but from the abject intolerance of opinions in regards to homosexuality coming from the likes of you. It isn't hyperbole, its reality, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

We don't live in your universe. There is no one set opinion people should follow, in this universe people are allowed to hold whatever opinions they wish without being summarily punished for them.

Last edited:
I've been thinking hard about this over the past two days or so, and it occurred me that apparently none of those who are complaining that this guy got canned for his anti-gay remarks mysteriously said nothing when Alec Baldwin had a similar experience. Then it occurred to me why Alec Baldwin wasn't a concern for them. They didn't care that he got the same treatment because he didn't believe it "religiously".

Proving yet again that being saved requires one to lose all sense of the ironic.

I've been thinking hard about this over the past two days or so, and it occurred me that apparently none of those who are complaining that this guy got canned for his anti-gay remarks mysteriously said nothing when Alec Baldwin had a similar experience. Then it occurred to me why Alec Baldwin wasn't a concern for them. They didn't care that he got the same treatment because he didn't believe it "religiously".

Proving yet again that being saved requires one to lose all sense of the ironic.

He wasn't a concern simply because he a nutcase, his slurs the least of our concern, he has mental issues, orogenicman. I know a person with an anger management problem when I see one.

OK....you don't accept the obvious answer how about this

Does it heal the wounds? Yes, in a way
What it does is drive the bigots underground. Spouting their hate is no longer publicly acceptable. They still feel the same, but when they spout their bigotry it is made clear that it s not acceptable

Yes, I know.

By making people who were formerly social outcasts welcome in society. Being gay used to mean you hid in the shadows, didn't let anyone know how you really were, pretended to be something you are not
Now it is the bigots who must hide in the shadows and not tell people how they really are

I kind of like it

Now, you are relegating people of faith to the shadows, dubbing them as the social outcasts; doing the exact same thing you've accused us of doing.

Now, it is you who must defend your intolerance and bigotry, not us.

I kind of like that. Enjoy the spotlight.

He wasn't a concern simply because he a nutcase, his slurs the least of our concern, he has mental issues, orogenicman. I know a person with an anger management problem when I see one.

Of course, someone who goes off the religious deep end with regard to gays, blacks, and the Japanese is the sanest person on the planet - or not!

Yes, I know.

I kind of like it

Now, you are relegating people of faith to the shadows, dubbing them as the social outcasts; doing the exact same thing you've accused us of doing.

Now, it is you who must defend your intolerance and bigotry, not us.

I kind of like that. Enjoy the spotlight.

christianhelp.gif

Forum List

Back