Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

the day a liberal is close mined is when the earth ends ... the day a liberal is a bigoted ... then life stops...

Sometimes I'll see a post on this site and have to read it a couple of times to make I'm seeing what I'm seeing. Then, when it turns out that I did read it right the first time, I can only shake my head.

Billy, you're one of the most vulgar, hateful, closed-minded, bigoted people on this board, and you....

Oh well.

Breathtaking.

Seconded.

Thirded. I don't even think its a word. But it'll do.

It is interesting how liberals are now free market libertarians when it comes to allowing a corporation to fire or suspend it's workers for stating their religious/moral or political views.

So I will pose a scenario to them. Let's say there was an employee for a major corporation, like Dow Chemical. This individual happened to be an Atheist. He goes on facebook(outside his work environment mind you), and criticizes Christmas, saying God is not real and Jesus is a myth. Dow Chemical finds out and fires him. Are you saying Dow Chemical has the right to fire someone for criticizing a religion?

Let's say there was a troll who kept posting the same master-bait over and over for the purpose of setting them so as to dictate to people he doesn't know what they think. And let's say this poster was an idiot not to mention a racist asshole.

But I repeat myself.

It isn't trolling, it is a good question to ask to see if the left is consistent, because they apparently believe private corporations have the right to fire you for your beliefs. You freaked out yesterday when I asked it, and insisted you were only angry that he violated the "morality clause" and nothing else. But maybe someone else will give me a straight answer to a pretty simple question.

I came down on you because you presumed to tell me what I think about shit I never offered an opinion on, based on nothing but your own presumptuous assholicity. Which I have no doubt is what you're going for again by posting the same bait over and over. Fuck you. :fu:

Last edited:
Let's say there was a troll who kept posting the same master-bait over and over for the purpose of setting them so as to dictate to people he doesn't know what they think. And let's say this poster was an idiot not to mention a racist asshole.

But I repeat myself.

It isn't trolling, it is a good question to ask to see if the left is consistent, because they apparently believe private corporations have the right to fire you for your beliefs. You freaked out yesterday when I asked it, and insisted you were only angry that he violated the "morality clause" and nothing else. But maybe someone else will give me a straight answer to a pretty simple question.

I came down on you because you presumed to tell me what I think about shit I never offered an opinion on, based on nothing but your own presumptuous assholicity. Which I have no doubt is what you're going for again by posting the same bait over and over. Fuck you. :fu:

Please, clarify your view then.

It is interesting how liberals are now free market libertarians when it comes to allowing a corporation to fire or suspend it's workers for stating their religious/moral or political views.

So I will pose a scenario to them. Let's say there was an employee for a major corporation, like Dow Chemical. This individual happened to be an Atheist. He goes on facebook(outside his work environment mind you), and criticizes Christmas, saying God is not real and Jesus is a myth. Dow Chemical finds out and fires him. Are you saying Dow Chemical has the right to fire someone for criticizing a religion?

Where in all that is the atheist saying anything negative about a live human?
I don't follow. So you can criticize religious institutions and be protected from being fired, but you can be fired for disagreeing with a sexual preference?

Good question as this is what is going on here.
PEOPLE complained to A & E about Robertson.
A & E is in business with stockholders. They demand and are used to a large profit.
They hear complaints about Robertson being on their network from their advertisers.
Advertisers do not care about anything but RATINGS.
And if a group or small group of folk that buy your widgets get pissed at Robertson, OR ANYONE, and your sales go down 5% then you call A & E and say "Hey now, I paid you fucks 7.3 million last year. You go tell per my contract with you, you tell Robertson to clam up or I will turn all my ad revenues to another network"
Take a wild guess what ALWAYS happens next.

Last edited:

Probably.

What do you mean probably? Do you not know what your opinion is?

I mean probably.

You are still trying to say that A&E suspended dickhead for his beliefs. They did not. They suspended him for saying stupid shit. He can believe whatever he wants.....but when he is talking to someone on the record, he needs to say stupid shit. A&E is not interested in being known as the place to look for stupidity.

Now.....the case you mentioned.....is not as cut and dried stupid. So I went with the LEGAL angle. In most cases, a company can fire you for just about any reason. Of course, the dismissal is subject to litigation.....and might be overturned. But they can drop that hammer on you for shit like that.

But I repeat myself.

I came down on you because you presumed to tell me what I think based on nothing buy your own presumptuous assholicity. Which I have no doubt is what you're going for again by posting the same bait over and over. Fuck you.

okey dokey old friend

I had to shake off a couple of old moments for myself. In another thread. Not to take you on anything, but maybe we have to cry baby and hold ourselves to a different playbook.

I'd sure as hell would hate to lose you. I hope you'd feel the same way about me. This forum is awesome. I haven't been banned once!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!

But all of us have to play by the rules. We have awesome moderators who I respect and we get to play in this sandbox. A really really big sandbox. I love it here.

I don't follow. So you can criticize religious institutions and be protected from being fired, but you can be fired for disagreeing with a sexual preference?

A & E is in business with stockholders. They demand and are used to a large profit.
They hear complaints about Robertson being on their network from their advertisers.
And if a group or small group of folk that buy your widgets get pissed at Robertson, OR ANYONE, and your sales go down 5% then you call A & E and say "Hey now, I paid you fucks 7.3 million last year. You go tell per my contract with you, you tell Robertson to clam up or I will turn all my ad revenues to another network"

You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

:lol:

DD is and will be #1

Probably.

I mean probably.

You are still trying to say that A&E suspended dickhead for his beliefs. They did not. They suspended him for saying stupid shit. He can believe whatever he wants.....but when he is talking to someone on the record, he needs to say stupid shit. A&E is not interested in being known as the place to look for stupidity.

Now.....the case you mentioned.....is not as cut and dried stupid. So I went with the LEGAL angle. In most cases, a company can fire you for just about any reason. Of course, the dismissal is subject to litigation.....and might be overturned. But they can drop that hammer on you for shit like that.

The same occurs in North Korea, you can believe what you want, but you are certainly held accountable if you state your beliefs. That is a very lame cop out. Of course he was fired for his beliefs. If he stated how he supports homosexual marriage, he wouldn't have been fired.

Apparently A&E isn't interested in money either. They are going to lose their highest grossing show to another network over some whiny homosexuals who didn't even watch the show to begin with. Poor business decision if you ask me.

It is cut and dry. I am not talking about law, I am talking about your personal view. Should corporations have the right to fire you for your beliefs?

Well first, there is actually evidence Duck Dynasty will make more money now.

So if the person in my example cost Dow Chemical money than they should be able to fire him? Should they be able to fire them even if the statements didn't cost them money or gained them money?

I mean probably.

The same occurs in North Korea, you can believe what you want, but you are certainly held accountable if you state your beliefs. That is a very lame cop out. Of course he was fired for his beliefs. If he stated how he supports homosexual marriage, he wouldn't have been fired.

Apparently A&E isn't interested in money either. They are going to lose their highest grossing show to another network over some whiny homosexuals who didn't even watch the show to begin with. Poor business decision if you ask me.

It is cut and dry. I am not talking about law, I am talking about your personal view. Should corporations have the right to fire you for your beliefs?

He is a corporatist so he does believe so only he will try to hide the fact in a smoke screen of bullshit

tapatalk post

Oh, I don't think so at all.

You might get a spate of homophobes buying his gear for a week or two, but in the long run, stores that don't want the controversy are going to take his stuff off the shelves and the show will probably wind down.

duck dynasty stuff is selling faster than ever. you haters have made them even richer.

have you heard the expression "crazy like a fox"? Robertson won, you fools lost :lol:

Guy, real businesses don't work like that.

My weekend job is working in a big box store,and all the DD stuff has been taken off the shelves, quietly.

In a year, we'll be scratching our heads trying to remember who these fools were.

I was in Barnes & Noble a couple hours ago...they had a bunch of Duck Commander (not Duck Dynasty) stuff, and a bunch of empty spots on the display where more of it had been sold. The stuff is flying off the shelves!

BINGO. That's the whole deal in a nutshell. :clap2:

I came down on you because you presumed to tell me what I think based on nothing buy your own presumptuous assholicity. Which I have no doubt is what you're going for again by posting the same bait over and over. Fuck you.

okey dokey old friend

I had to shake off a couple of old moments for myself. In another thread. Not to take you on anything, but maybe we have to cry baby and hold ourselves to a different playbook.

I'd sure as hell would hate to lose you. I hope you'd feel the same way about me. This forum is awesome. I haven't been banned once!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!

But all of us have to play by the rules. We have awesome moderators who I respect and we get to play in this sandbox. A really really big sandbox. I love it here.

I put that racist asshole on ignore yesterday. I should just leave him there where he belongs.

Thanks for your thoughts TD :smiliehug:

Sometimes I'll see a post on this site and have to read it a couple of times to make I'm seeing what I'm seeing. Then, when it turns out that I did read it right the first time, I can only shake my head.

Billy, you're one of the most vulgar, hateful, closed-minded, bigoted people on this board, and you....

Oh well.

Breathtaking.

Seconded.

Thirded. I don't even think its a word. But it'll do.
Cons love to compete for biggest bigot on this board.

I mean probably.

That is ridiculous. You cannot claim to love this country and what it stands for and then couch issues like this in terms that exclude the law.

A&E felt that what dickhead said was counter to their corporate goals. They acted. He can sue if he wants. It will be decided in court or by his lack of action.

Should they have the right is a moral question.

Do they have the right is a legal question.

Without regard for the law? You want to know what I would do if I were king? I can have fun with that. We must assume that I have no financial interest in Dickhead Dynasty or Dow Chemical.

Neither dickhead nor the person in your example would be fired.

Happy now?

duck dynasty stuff is selling faster than ever. you haters have made them even richer.

have you heard the expression "crazy like a fox"? Robertson won, you fools lost :lol:

Guy, real businesses don't work like that.

My weekend job is working in a big box store,and all the DD stuff has been taken off the shelves, quietly.

In a year, we'll be scratching our heads trying to remember who these fools were.

I was in Barnes & Noble a couple hours ago...they had a bunch of Duck Commander (not Duck Dynasty) stuff, and a bunch of empty spots on the display where more of it had been sold. The stuff is flying off the shelves!

No shortage of morons in this country, huh.

I mean probably.

That is ridiculous. You cannot claim to love this country and what it stands for and then couch issues like this in terms that exclude the law.

A&E felt that what dickhead said was counter to their corporate goals. They acted. He can sue if he wants. It will be decided in court or by his lack of action.

Should they have the right is a moral question.

Do they have the right is a legal question.

Without regard for the law? You want to know what I would do if I were king? I can have fun with that. We must assume that I have no financial interest in Dickhead Dynasty or Dow Chemical.

Neither dickhead nor the person in your example would be fired.

Happy now?

Yes, I am very pleased. All I look for is intellectual consistency.

We actually agree, I think a corporation should be able to fire someone for whatever reason they wish. However, I don't think either of them should be fired.

Forum List

Back